• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where did you watch the moon walk, for those of us who actually remember it?!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
First of all, I would have sworn we watched it at night, but watching the race to the moon show on PBS last week, it was daytime. I was 13 years old, we lived in Gardena, CA. My mom, dad and younger sister and brother sat in our den watching it. I think the younger kids were on the floor. I was going to be a freshman at a Catholic girls' school at the end of August, and never having been to either a religious or a non-coed school, to say nothing of only knowing one girl who'd also be going there, I was not looking forward to it.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at our summer cottage on the Chesapeake Bay. We had a group of neighbors as not all these cottages had tvs.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I watched it in the family room of a friend's house in a north-east suburb of Toronto.

There was a group of us who were back home for the summer after our first year at university. We all watched the landing, then had dinner together and then waited eagerly for the moonwalk. I can remember how excited we all were as we gathered around the TV set, not just for the historic moment, but for what it (hopefully) meant for the future.

We had gone to the friend's house to watch it because they had a colour TV. Colour broadcasting had only recently been introduced into Canada. Of course, the funny thing was that all the live TV broadcasts from the moon were in grainy black and white. :rolleyes:

taffy19

Reaction score
I was at work at Sony Corporation and every employee got a small black and white TV set on his or her desk to watch it.

It was so exciting but everyone was holding their breath to see it lift off again successfully. This was a moment I will never forget.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I was at work at Sony Corporation and every employee got a small black and white TV set on his or her desk to watch it.

It was so exciting but everyone was holding their breath to see it lift off again successfully. This was a moment I will never forget.

Watching the PBS show last week, and now as an adult, getting the two astronauts up off the moon and docked again so they could get back home was nail biting even though I knew it turned out well!

taffy19

Reaction score
Watching the PBS show last week, and now as an adult, getting the two astronauts up off the moon and docked again so they could get back home was nail biting even though I knew it turned out well!
Exactly because we didn’t know and were hoping that it would be successful and it was! :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was working in a Girl Scout Camp as the camp's dishwasher. Living in platform tents with NO electric. Flashlights only. But the white sand did a good job of reflecting moonlight.

The camp's 19yo "handiman" had a portable 4" TV screen but reception was NOT good. He, I and another person first had to find a TV signal 'spot', then run electric extension codes from the kitchen, escape from our tent mates and be very quiet while sitting on wood logs in the dead of night.

I was just a little late playing my horn the next morning to wake up the camp.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was 14 and watched it on the B&W TV in our basement. I'm guessing my parents were there too, but really can't remember who was in the room. I watched because everyone was making a big deal out of it, but I was not impressed. Surprises me now. I don't think I understood the danger, the years of work to make this happen, implications for the future, etc. It was a TV show to me. Although I did acknowledge the moon was far away.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I didn't watch it. I was in the Gulf of Tonkin and listened to it on the ship's general announcing system.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Wall Street Journal had a special section today on the moon landing that was a pretty good read. I've been holding on to an ad for a LA Times hard bound book, wondering if Dad would like it. Figured I'd give it to him now rather than take the chance he wouldn't still be with us at Christmas. But seeing the section in the WSJ, which he reads (he gave us the subscription) and knowing Dad thinks books should come from libraries, I'm still waffling. I have until Sunday to take advantage of the "special offer" which I swear is $21.95 on the iPad, but is $29.95 when I bring it up downstairs on the big computer. He started at STL (Space Technology Laboratories) when they moved us here to the Los Angeles area from Virginia in 1960. I think STL became TRW, if I remember correctly. He retired from his aerospace job about 25 years ago.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Wall Street Journal had a special section today on the moon landing that was a pretty good read. I've been holding on to an ad for a LA Times hard bound book, wondering if Dad would like it. Figured I'd give it to him now rather than take the chance he wouldn't still be with us at Christmas. But seeing the section in the WSJ, which he reads (he gave us the subscription) and knowing Dad thinks books should come from libraries, I'm still waffling. I have until Sunday to take advantage of the "special offer" which I swear is $21.95 on the iPad, but is $29.95 when I bring it up downstairs on the big computer. He started at STL (Space Technology Laboratories) when they moved us here to the Los Angeles area from Virginia in 1960. I think STL became TRW, if I remember correctly. He retired from his aerospace job about 25 years ago.
Hi CliffFaith,

I think your dad would like it. A lot of good memories for him. My vote is to splurge and get him the gift.

Best Regards.

Richard

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I was 10 years old and my family, and my uncles, aunt and 6 cousins were watching it around an old black-and-white tv in our living room. I remember feeling anxious as the moon walk began, wondering if somehow the moon surface would swallow them up.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I was working at Yellowstone that summer. No television where I was.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We were in a motel in Knoxville, TN. We were driving from Kansas City to Myrtle Beach and stopped in time to get a motel room to watch it. We snagged carry-out burgers & fries to eat in our room so that we would not miss anything :). The TV was black & white, but that was fine because so was the video they were sending back to earth.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was 13 and although I'm sure I watched it, I truly don't remember the exact details. I DO however still have the front page from the newspaper the next morning!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I was 14 and watched it on the farm with my grandparents and aunt and uncle. It was amazing.

When our daughter said something about it being all made up because the rocks were the same as in Arizona, Rick and I both laughed out loud. I couldn't believe she would say that. How could anyone think this was made up?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had just been home from Vietnam for a few months, and was trying to make up for the 3 years I had been away. It seemed all my friends who had stayed home and in school were WAAAY ahead of me, so meeting women, sowing wild oats, and getting ready to start college in September. Yes the moon walk was important, but my own life was the priority at the time.

Jim

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
In the earlier '60s we had the first color TV on the block. My dad bought a Heathkit TV and put it together on the kitchen table (his degree was in electrical engineering). Still remember the smell of solder wafting into the den where we watched the old black & white TV. The neighbors from across the street came over to watch The Wonderful World of Color the first Sunday Dad had the TV working (he was a WWII vet, she a French war bride whose English made it hard for me to understand her, spoiled rotten only child daughter, well my jealousy is showing there because Michelle had every toy on the market and literally had waist-high-to-a-child stacks of new Barbie clothes boxes under the tree each Christmas). But as others have pointed out, color didn't really matter because film from the moon was in black and white.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a hotel room downtown Toronto, where I had a job interview the next morning....and was hired for my first job on graduation!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Me?

On the studio back lot.

I helped film it.

Me and Brian Williams.

:cool:
- - - - - -
I had to google it, but it was at 9:30 PM on a Sunday, so if I was watching, it was on that big console TV (a fine piece of furniture) in the living room of my parents home. But maybe not because I was a hot-topper, drove a truck and laid asphalt, in my Summer job during college, so I might have been in bed.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was on Summer Vacation between my Sophomore and Junior years of High School. Like most residents of Hawaii, I was spending my vacation time on the Mainland... :) That particular Summer, I was in Ferndale, Washington, staying with my sister and brother in law. We watched it on the big fancy console TV in the living room (the kind with a radio on one end, a record player on the other, and the TV in the middle.) I think it was a color TV but all the video was in black and white.

Like Patri above, I don't remember being all that impressed at the time. No particular reason why. My bigger memories of that Summer was learning how to play Cribbage, Four-Handed Pinochle, and Canasta.

Dave

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
i was very newly married. We all got together at our uncle's home. My mother was there and I remember because she died 8 months later.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! Our daughter is getting married on Sunday and our toast is partly about the moon landing. :)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I was 5. I remember watching it on the black and white tv we had. At 5 I really didn't appreciate what the fuss was about, people went to the moon on the TV all the time.