• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bonvoy Air and Hotel Packages

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a place online where I can see what the new air and 5-night hotel packages cost. I need about 30k more United Points for a United Business Class Award. So looking at either doing a mileage transfer which will cost me around 75k Marriott points or seeing if it is worth it to tag on one of the hotel packages.

If I have it figured out correctly separately:
120,000 Bonvoy points would give me 55,000 United points after factoring in the bonus.
140,000 Bonvoy points would give me 5 nights in a CAt 6 hotel factoring in the 5th night free
180,000 Bonvoy Points in a Cat 7 Hotel

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Is there a place online where I can see what the new air and 5-night hotel packages cost. I need about 30k more United Points for a United Business Class Award. So looking at either doing a mileage transfer which will cost me around 75k Marriott points or seeing if it is worth it to tag on one of the hotel packages.

If I have it figured out correctly separately:
120,000 Bonvoy points would give me 55,000 United points after factoring in the bonus.
140,000 Bonvoy points would give me 5 nights in a CAt 6 hotel factoring in the 5th night free
180,000 Bonvoy Points in a Cat 7 Hotel
You can see them by logging into your MVCI owner account.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like for Cat 6,7,8 hotels there is really no advantage to buying a package as you don't save much

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I remembered the 3:1 and 3:1.1 ratios. I didn’t remember the bonus 5000 miles per 60000 points. In the case of United it’s a bonus 5500 miles.

Thanks for bringing this. To my attention. I’m less likely to book a travel package now. This warrants another spreadsheet.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was the old numbers. Using the new numbers for Cat 6,7,8 you really aren't getting much of a discount by buying the package if I am figuring out correctly.

Can someone can help me figure out how many Bonvoy points I need to transfer to United to get 33,000 miles. I don't think the website figures the bonus miles when converting.

I came up with 76,000 miles. Am I correct?
First 60,000 points = 20,000+2,000+5,000= 27,000 miles
Next 17,000 points = 5,666+ 566 = 6,232 miles
Total= 33,232 miles

I know this is probably not the best use of points but it gives me enough mileage in my account for a business class ticket from Tel Aviv to San Diego.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I meant 77,000 Bonvoy points to get to 33,000 United Miles.
Also, do people think for the 1:1 Conversion for Chase Ultimate Rewards or 3:1 for Bonvoy transfers are a better deal.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Also, do people think for the 1:1 Conversion for Chase Ultimate Rewards or 3:1 for Bonvoy transfers are a better deal.

Interesting timing as I am wondering the same thing. We may need 5,000 more American Airlines miles to complete an award ticket trip. We have an AA credit card, but don’t have enough spending planned in the next couple of weeks to get that many miles.

I look forward to hearing what others think about the options.

Best regards.

Mike

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I think my situation is resolved. I just read another thread in which someone mentioned the airlines that cooperate with the Chase points. AA isn’t one of them. I forgot about that. Darn the bad luck.

Mike

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
qq. does anyone know whether the package certs can be uused in conjunction with the points upgrade charges to get bigger rooms?

e.g. I'd like to use one to book a Cat 4 MVC property (Paris) and then add 10K per night points upgrade charge to upgrade from a studio to a 2-bedroom... Does anyone know whether this can be done?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
qq. does anyone know whether the package certs can be uused in conjunction with the points upgrade charges to get bigger rooms?

e.g. I'd like to use one to book a Cat 4 MVC property (Paris) and then add 10K per night points upgrade charge to upgrade from a studio to a 2-bedroom... Does anyone know whether this can be done?

Yes. We did this at the Marriott Paris Rive Gauche to upgrade to a 1BR Family Suite. It was actually both a points upgrade and out of pocket cost.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

I don’t see where I or anyone else tried to answer your question yet. I will try.

I compare how I would use the points. 33,000 Chase points would be worth $495 in travel at $0.015 per points. 77,000 Bonvoy points would get you two nights in a Category 5 hotel (35,000 points per night) and you would have 7,000 points remaining. The value would depend on the cash value of those two nights, including taxes. I always try to get a Category 5 room that would cost over $200 before taxes, if possible. With taxes that would come out to approximately $450 depending on the rooms. And I have done better than that in a couple of situations.

Another factor to consider is what else are you planning to do with your points in each system. If you are building toward a longer term goal in one of them you need to consider the impact of using points for your immediate need.

This doesn’t come to a definite conclusion, but I hope it helps with your decision making process.

Best regards.

Mike

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I figured a little more value to each of them and since I would have had to pay $75 to add my wife to my Chase account as an authorized user I figured the Bonvoy points valued at a little less so transferred the Bonvcoy points. Hopefully, they post in a day or 2. I will probably use the Chase Ultimate Reward points to top off my account. Although since I only need 25,000 miles it may be better to use 60,000 BOnvoy points than 25,00 Chase points. Between the 2 of us, we have many more Bonvoy points than Chase Ultimate Reward Points.