• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kitchen Remodel - 3.5 Months... Almost There

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Three months to be fair becuz we took a 2 week vacation... Demolition started on April 8th and they said they'd be done by the end of May, but that was never going to happen.

Finally, last week, we got floor tile, but it was the wrong tile (1 week delay). This week, the correct tile is on the floor, and the correct quartz counter top has been installed. All that's left is the back splash tile, and cabinet shelves, drawers & doors. So now we're seeing the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel!

Then I get a text from the GC saying that the cabinet guy's brother has died and the police need him at his house. The drama continues. With relatives dying, cars breaking down, a mental breakdown, and other assorted emergencies, I guess I should be thankful for what this crew has managed to accomplish. Not holding my breath.

The only reason we're not climbing the walls is that we have a working fridge and stove (along with a toaster, microwave & coffee maker).

Last edited:

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Sorry for all the delays/troubles. We did a major kitchen remodel 10 years ago, and ate out of a microwave and crock pot in the dining room (and washed dishes in the tub) for about 3 months. In hindsight, I can't believe we did it (with 9 year old twins at the time). Be sure to send pics when it's done. It'll be worth it!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Three months to be fair becuz we took a 2 week vacation... Demolition started on April 8th and they said they'd be done by the end of May, but that was never going to happen.

Finally, last week, we got floor tile, but it was the wrong tile (1 week delay). This week, the correct tile is on the floor, and the correct quartz counter top has been installed. All that's left is the back splash tile, and cabinet shelves, drawers & doors. So now we're seeing the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel!

Then I get a text from the GC saying that the cabinet guy's brother has died and the police need him at his house. The drama continues. With relatives dying, cars breaking down, a mental breakdown, and other assorted emergencies, I guess I should be thankful for what this crew has managed to accomplish. Not holding my breath.

The only reason we're not climbing the walls is that we have a working fridge and stove (along with a toaster, microwave & coffee maker).

Yikes! You're getting close, but still so frustrating! Hope it gets completed soon. This would drive me insane!

Then again, I am about to go through this with our new home build. I am already upset that in 6 weeks no foundation has even been poured yet. We were supposed to do an electrical walk through the first week of August! Yeah- right!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
You're getting there! At six months and counting remodeling our master bath, with two vacations equaling a little less than a month, all that remains is having the correct draw fronts and the hardware put on our cabinets. Emails exchanged. No date given yet. Sigh.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You're getting there! At six months and counting remodeling our master bath, with two vacations equaling a little less than a month, all that remains is having the correct draw fronts and the hardware put on our cabinets. Emails exchanged. No date given yet. Sigh.

That is really crazy. But at this point, you're almost there.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One of the counter tops (Dekton Quartz)...

OoB2xel-qwcObdsTp7S6TAtB6y79VSrj-i2KVblK-Tfcwp4erRBv0glVXhDTraTIiQEu816ZlYtvyTYKv0lwwLInfFFddqGCRiC6BvEgwu5lHUAh6myWukCQWeytrtMkDYhmPU7kMLkVUXdYq6mglJfiW4ywmVccDAYIBOnE6xeNOKiA_zVjv3GQKtRIoYLdyNCpDV7qchLPbc7zYq_IhKa6W0z9fDFtn_gP7SDbY-TZ5BO6O25z-6v_UQA6Zu6KWMUNkaqfekH3aCQbnm_f1YOcbVROrcOSeZtqTGaA3uOOIfs6jW3Ly24QeG2lQljx4Cky3xe3aLDiXrBZ4wrYARjxgxSBG4nQeHnnyxaj0ZQWUi50CRvrLrAdu8nF4_UL8AYPCKRxmujls6kVCl5UWayS2Elm_sfatf8rA73Fq0GIL04m-K1mJwAHf0v-gqpmE-wVp9r0HpnZZkEl0GSybhnfNYPe2bHntYmImpj18IewFViGtKVZHIRW8bDU5PU95W3sCP7BzYHWTdyGzwFaJpu_LqTcGGOUNMfWgLSiAUAgiP1v82ruRACGKKzc7f9SnE-LLZXOcjT8WkVC-HzVPocVbXHUklTvovKBK5U8DMQcOjXIRjouWwRJfm7_sfJ5AKBBU_y3hXrgfXwhhXrfYbASvHlrick=w1190-h892-no

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is really crazy. But at this point, you're almost there.

Right. I think part of it was that we did not hire a contractor. My husband and a helper did the demo and some other work and acted as General Contractor. Subs probably put us on hold to instead do jobs for their regular General Contractors. After all, that is where most of their income comes from. Having had 21 homes over the years, we know not to expect builds or remodels to get done on time and not to get bent out of shape over it.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I love your quartz! I am sure that you are happy to be finishing soon.

We have lived in our house for 32 years and have done a fair amount of updating/remodeling over the years. We were doing an addition to our house in 2003 and there was a big fire during this time and a ton of houses burned. Our contractor saw an opportunity to make some big bucks and nearly left us high and dry, with a partially completed room. We started in August with a Nov finish date. We finished in January after we threatened to sue.

In 2013 we hired an interior designer to help up update our kitchen (new floors, paint the cabinets, new quartz). It was the best experience ever. The trades that she worked with were amazing. They kept to their schedules and did great quality work. In the future we will use her again.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love your quartz! I am sure that you are happy to be finishing soon.

We have lived in our house for 32 years and have done a fair amount of updating/remodeling over the years. We were doing an addition to our house in 2003 and there was a big fire during this time and a ton of houses burned. Our contractor saw an opportunity to make some big bucks and nearly left us high and dry, with a partially completed room. We started in August with a Nov finish date. We finished in January after we threatened to sue.

In 2013 we hired an interior designer to help up update our kitchen (new floors, paint the cabinets, new quartz). It was the best experience ever. The trades that she worked with were amazing. They kept to their schedules and did great quality work. In the future we will use her again.

I worked with an interior designer for my den drapes, sofas, accessories, etc., and though I shop/price furniture and accessories in High Point, NC and Lexington, KY, she was able to beat their lowest prices on the some of the same items. I was surprised. Other things added up quite quickly though. Her time and visits, of course. She told me about her big warehouse and all she has available to pull from it, but when our remodel was delayed and she charged for storage by the day. It was in the fine print. I can't blame her, but was a little surprised.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Looking good! Beautiful countertops and I like your floor tile too!

Thanks. DW chose the colors, so credit goes to her.

The project manager, knowing I'm home alone to Sunday and impaired by shoulder surgery, brought me lunch today (a whopper meal) and offered to have one of his guys mow my lawn. I guess that makes him a mensch.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The sink is in and the backsplash is partly on the wall...

e4dAC_LNPRTkteshDsydg1YSAimbzqr8DtpUGRQ9IFii8k7g62Q41XbgMB3nQl4df7K9jS5CKVsO0o_oJLikdpk0Lj1TV8Wo285TrOYgkgyRahyzGQqDRUQNt-4cfU3ay0qTDrt09o9REfekZVrGgLJiRXtyV2nNgvxFIZyM5W8mYBIiMCI3VJFZxA0NrmAzxvRXzlMddt8P70peTqrfa8gx9aP3KxQTom7B6Ws0p2vet35AEijQcVns_hGQT6AiJtzMe5z3Zmf3K_b4fiOawb8il5FijIEozcvbp9Tcw9kf6C3sQw_V9HSitZDYk61iwn1B6LTV1b84aI6qt4cHlm5BkoYgL14l1fdTvPL-YQjhQrJzKLSj9NimB9iVWtFbGyTkvTDMaioCGM60Xo_IjtTqW-xNs2X4ZjBN6vt7aFp9c1JhZrTCcfN1JEelJZkgmfwzLajoVsbgCXpiqD_Gxu9bJI8lRlhoM3LVz2d7s6IbS4mLriOZu7SV_FG9K71BjqS93x6isBdmXHcH0WkIUvtjLNBam_v2SgSgxpTNFQGOIwx9wk6q0_2jp0F07TRoFNYfdlhSuIMWhe98XrLItY3RASsFDynw3LiZpfukKUZKCmvaLZwP6lfGrDi1DEGoamaHNYtNH2ynHjQTzLWl-7RqBd_4yM8=w1190-h892-no

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
feel your pain, after trying to find a contractor worth a lick for months...i started tackling my kitchen upgrade DIY! difficult at best, especially difficult with a toddler in the home and having to ensure the kitchen is still somewhat functional during the renovation!

also went with quartz countertops, but wife preferred the ones with the light grey veining in them! those leaf looking backsplash tiles are neat looking! hope you finish up soon!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Yikes! 3 months and counting for only a kitchen? That's eye-opening.

About 20 years ago, we built a custom 4,000 s.f. higher-end house from start to finish in 6-1/2 months. The contractor said that he could have finished a month earlier except I was so fussy. Ha ha.

In the future, before we down-size we will probably do a remodel. It will be painful to live with 3 months of dust and pandemonium.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our total kitchen remodel was 8 weeks. Our guy was a fanatic about timing.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Not my taste [leaf backsplash] but they do go well together! Very nice!

I would've picked something more formal, but was overruled.

There are valid reasons why this has taken longer than may be common:
1. During demo, they removed 2 walls. Each had a post holding up a beam.
2,. The exposed beam caused issues. A section had to be reinforced.
2. Some upper cabinets had to be redesigned to incorporate the beam.
IOW, some delays could be blamed on the space (but most is on the crew).

ScottRW

Reaction score
Ok, I understand your point, but in my opinion it depends not only from governments, but also from basic people. And making our houses a little bit better - it's on us. For example, when I installed my new faucet for kitchen [Moderator Note: Ad-like link deleted], I've also got an opinion from the expert of plumbing things, that I need to install filters as well. It's cost will be fully compensated, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I signed up with my landscaping guy in May and he was supposed to start my project in August but due to the non stop rain in MI it’s now been pushed back to September. My kitchen remodel guy is still telling me he will start in mid August. I just want to get these updates done so I can list my house next May.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I just want to get these promo done so I can list my house next May.

Your timeline just might work.
We're putting such an effort into this kitchen that we won't want to move, ever.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Your timeline just might work.
We're putting such an effort into this kitchen that we won't want to move, ever.

That’s what I said when we did our kitchen. Meanwhile......

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s what I said when we did our kitchen. Meanwhile......

My kitchen is just getting the cabinets refaced and new counter tops. So the cost will not be that high but in order to sell my home I need to have the sane updates as my neighbors

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In our neighborhood, shortly after a construction truck starts parking
at one house, three other houses have 'em. Construction envy?

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In our neighborhood, it seems that, shortly after a construction truck starts parking at one house, three other houses have 'em. What is that? Construction envy?

My sub looks like that now as we are all trying to sell our homes so we can downsize