• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Vidanta limit exchanges by non-owners?

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
My story:
In 2008, I joined a “Vacation Club” called Global Discovery Vacations. In essence, this company contracts with timeshare companies such as Vidanta, Wyndham Resorts, Diamond Resorts, etc. to fill potentially unused rooms. I paid a $10,000 lump sum fee, plus $385 per year to obtain 8 “stars” per year. Each “star” got me 1 week in a 1-bedroom at a resort, within the 48 states, in the low season for a usage fee of $99. Another “star gets me in season, another a 2-bedroom, another overseas, etc. In 2008 I got a Mayan Palace 1- bedroom suite for $99 (2 stars) for the whole week. In 2015, I got a 2-bedroom in Tuscany, Italy for $110 (plus 4 stars) for the week. In April 2018 I got a Mayan Palace 1- bedroom suite for $113 (3 stars) for the week. I paid no fee to Vidanta at all except for expenses incurred on site. (plus taxes etc. but no resort fee.)

In 2018, we attended a sales presentation in Riviera Maya and purchased a Junior Suite DeLuxxe Club Level (1-bedroom) unit in Celebrate Park. The salesman said that people can come to a Vidanta resort only once every 5 years and only 3 times total through RCI or Global Discovery Vacations etc. unless they buy in. After 3 trips without buying, they get cut off. (He did look me up in his computer and showed me my 2008 trip data.)

So, has anyone else heard of this rule? (I ask because of the recent poster Vacation Guy didn’t buy since he figured he could repeatedly get into Vidanta through an RCI exchange.)

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
They have periodically had 1 in x year rules and limitations to 2 weeks per year, but don’t have any limits now. If they do, it will be noted in the listing on RCI or wherever you try to exchange. They’ve built so much inventory in NV, at least, that they don’t need to limit exchanges in the low season, though it will be tough getting anything besides a studio in February or March. They also modify the resort fees periodically to ensure they’re making a profit on an exchange, though some companies like SFX & ICE have long term relationships with Vidanta and low fees.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Vidanta controls the inventory . They make the rules .

The salesman you worked with - used the tools provided to convince you to become an owner .

As Eric has said - peak season /snowbird season / Christmas to Easter - is the hardest to get weeks and , likely the best use of your registered week that has ARP .

Currently (mid July 2019) the RCI weeks listings for all Vidanta properties end at December 2020 .Historically (at least the last 3years) - Vidanta deposited Jan-April , by May (so Feb 2020 was deposited by May 2018) . I am sure there will be a developer deposit - but who knows when and where .

IMO - There will always be exchange access due to the approx. 7000 units in the Vidanta properties .They build in pesos for peak season / collect usage fees in USD - which leaves shoulder season availability .

However - this availability is developer controlled inventory and they make the rules .

Last edited:

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
It didn't take a whole lot of convincing to get me to buy in 2018. I'd been to RM twice through Global Discovery Vacations (GDV) and loved it. But Vidanta usually gave GDV only June, July and August and only a one bedroom Mayan Palace (usually ground floor of building 20 or 21). And since I didn't own any property or timeshare I had no access to an exchange company such as RCI.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Quite a few people go to Vidanta properties on exchanges for multiple years in a row that I am aware of. You can read comments here on TUG about it and they tell you they have weeks booked every year for 2 and 3 years out. They state they have no intention of buying, but plan to just keep exchanging in. Some go to GL and have 3-4 bedroom units each year. I know of one person who has gone to RM GM every year for maybe 10 years for at least 2 weeks at a time with no intention of buying. Vidanta may be able to pull up your visits, but they basically just want people in the units (money).

The 1-in rules change all the time - sometimes they have them and some times not - sometimes 1-in-3 or 4 or 5. All exchange companies do not have the 1-in rules - basically just RCI & II and even those not always at the same time. RCI & II are the ones with the high usage fees too. SFX has kept the $75 for a long time.

The sales staff will tell you whatever will get a sale - you like the resort, well you cannot come anymore, so you should buy in so that you are guaranteed a spot.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had 3 SFX exchanges to GL RM but appear to have been cut off now after not upgrading our Mayan Palace unit.
We have found other resorts that we prefer now.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
We had 3 SFX exchanges to GL RM but appear to have been cut off now after not upgrading our Mayan Palace unit.

Interesting. They typically have more availability in NV, of course. What season have you been looking for? Used to see February, but not so much in RM.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. They typically have more availability in NV, of course. What season have you been looking for? Used to see February, but not so much in RM.
Only looking for January due to other commitments.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

AFAIK, Vidanta doesn't "cut off" folks from what SFX has for inventory. Vidanta has no idea whose using the weeks they've deposited to SFX. Ie: Vidanta deposits (10) 2 BR Grand Luxxe RM to SFX. They don't have a little footnote in there for SFX that says "oh, don't let John Smith have these".

Now, SFX may be limiting things, but that's a diff. story. ie: SFX may have internal controls so that some folks don't monopolize (for lack of a better word) so that all SFX member have a "chance". But that is pure speculation on my part.

Although SFX inventory has been "tight" lately (at least from what I can tell) Jan/Feb weeks for Cabo Vidanta (granted, it's a lot smaller) and Vidanta RM (again, not as many GL units vs. NV), unless you put your request in a year in advance. But it's also possible with Vidanta implementing the RCI/II resort fees that more folks are using SFX and that's why the inventory has tightened up.

Although I wouldn't want to spend the $300 upgrade for RM Grand Luxxe for Jan/Feb and not have pool, beach club, or restaurant/spa access either, so we don't go there anymore.