• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Their Finest Hour: Why Was the Battle of Britain so Significant?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
The “Battle of Britain” is one of my favorite movies.

Cheers

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was working for P&G back in the 70's I met Dick Wilson. Most of you remember him as Mr. Whipple of the Charmin TV ads. What you might not know is that Dick was a pilot for the RCAF and flew Hurricanes and Spits in the Battle of Britain. From what I gathered from some of the folks that knew him better he was highly decorated for his service.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
When I was working for P&G back in the 70's I met Dick Wilson. Most of you remember him as Mr. Whipple of the Charmin TV ads. What you might not know is that Dick was a pilot for the RCAF and flew Hurricanes and Spits in the Battle of Britain. From what I gathered from some of the folks that knew him better he was highly decorated for his service.
Thanks Jim for the update.

Richard

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Very interesting to learn that Mr. Whipple was raised just down the road in Hamilton, Ontario. May he RIP.

While I have no doubt he enlisted in the RCAF, and flew as a pilot in WWII, I doubt he was one of The Few.

There is a misconception by many people, particularly in the USA, that the Battle of Britain (specifically the air battle) took place anytime up until D-Day, when the battleground switched to the continent. The Battle of Britain (as referred to by Winston Churchill in his reference to the few to whom we all owe so much), officially occurred from 10 Jul 1940 to 31 Oct 1940.

To have earned the rare "Battle of Britain" clasp to the 1939-1945 Star and be considered one of The Few, you had to participate in at least one active sortie during that time period in one of the officially designated RAF, RCAF, Fleet Air Arm or Allied squadrons.

image-05.jpg

There are only five Wilsons listed as British or Canadian out of the 2937 pilots on the official listing of The Few, none of them a Richard...and nor is anyone listed with his original Italian birth name.

https://www.battleofbritain1940.net/bobhsoc/aircrew.php

To have fought as an RCAF pilot in the Battle of Britain and get to the UK in time to be one of The Few, he would have had to already have his pilot's wings and be a member of an existing squadron at the time war was initially declared in September 1939.

There were only two RCAF squadrons in Britain by the time of the Battle of Britain: No. 110 (City of Toronto) Squadron (now 400 Squadron), an army co-operation (air-reconnaissance and ground-interdiction) squadron and No. 1 (City of Westmount) Squadron (now 401 Squadron), a fighter squadron. Only the latter fought in the official Battle of Britain and is a designated squadron. It was also the only non-RAF Commonwealth squadron to participate in the Battle of Britain.

Lest We Forget.

Last edited: