• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation Properties for Less - screwing around, need advice

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
So, I "purchased" a 1 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau on ebay (it was $6 but they didn’t accept payment as it would be gifted) from Vacation Properties for Less. All the paperwork was sent quickly. I received estoppel before signing and called Marriott Vacation Club to verify. Reviews on here were mostly positive for vacationpropertiesforless with most people saying they were slow but it panned out. The red flag should have been that they kept changing names, but I thought what the heck I'm not giving them any money anyway.

Approximate timeline - win bid in April. send paperwork back, receive a copy of deed recorded May 15, 2019. I call Marriott and they have no notation that the week is being transferred. I contact VPL by email around June 5th and they reply that they are going through attorneys because they are transferring a lot of properties and doing some buybacks. This makes no sense, I ask for clarification and they state that they are going through the legal department as opposed to titling dept and this should actually expedite the process. June 27, I follow up again, they say it is “in process.”

Yesterday I called Marriott to learn that the property in question is being bought back by Marriott. There is no notation at all that the property was to be transferred. I call VPL, no answer mailbox full. I call the title company American Resource Management Group (their info is on my documents) and they are now “Resort Release”. BBB lists Vacation Properties for Less and American Resource Management Group as bankrupt as of April 2019. I guess they are changing their name again. I call any and all numbers I can find, speak to someone who says she can’t help me. I finally get someone on the phone named Catherine who is trying to tell me that Vacation Properties is a separate company… I finally get her to admit she is affiliated and she promises to look into it and call me back. I suddenly receive a BS email from VPL telling me that properties sometimes take 3-6 months to transfer. I ask for transfer form and come to find that the one she sent has sellers info blurred out/missing. I call BS via email, and the person from VPL is offended and states how they are so efficient and have transferred thousands of timeshares. They have not returned my latest email demanding both signed contract and signed transfer form and the date the transfer form was submitted. I have a copy of the signed, recorded deed and I verified recording with the county via their website.

Now what? I didn’t give any money but I have a deed in my name that won’t transfer without seller transferring it but according to Marriott they signed a contract for buyback (I believe it was after deed recording). I was supposed to have usage this year too. I’m going to call Marriott again today and see if I can speak to someone in the legal department. I have the seller’s phone number too…

Advice? Sorry for length and disregard for grammar.

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how a deed was recorded at all if the previous owner didn't sign paperwork deeding the property to you.??

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
It's a mess. Does your deed mention "valuable consideration", or is it a gift deed? If it's deeded as a gift, you can finish transferring it yourself. If it mentions a consideration, you need to go through ROFR process, which I don't think you can do yourself.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'll just say this in as vanilla a way as possible - your thread title works on many levels!

Sorry but I do not have any useful advice for your situation.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I don't understand how a deed was recorded at all if the previous owner didn't sign paperwork deeding the property to you.??

Deed was signed, I’m not sure about transfer docs to MVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
It's a mess. Does your deed mention "valuable consideration", or is it a gift deed? If it's deeded as a gift, you can finish transferring it yourself. If it mentions a consideration, you need to go through ROFR process, which I don't think you can do yourself.

Yes you are on to something, I just received an email back and they said I could submit the transfer form myself bc their process of going through attorneys might take up 6 months!!! Something silly about saving $25 on submitting through title department and transferring multiple properties at once. I was ready to reply that I would submit transfer doc myself then I saw your post and looked at the deed. It says “the sum of $10 cash in hand”, does this mean I would have to go through ROFR??? How does that work if deed was already recorded in our name!? I’m so confused.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I'll just say this in as vanilla a way as possible - your thread title works on many levels!

Sorry but I do not have any useful advice for your situation.

I almost wrote “Vacation Properties for Less is screwing me” but decided to change it. I’m from New York :)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Mine was free, the agreement said "Gift", but the deed said $10. It went through ROFR and was waived.

If yours is truly free, and you have an agreement that said it's free, then you can try submitting it yourself without ROFR. Try emailing to owner.modifications@vacationclub.com

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Mine was free, the agreement said "Gift", but the deed said $10. It went through ROFR and was waived.

If yours is truly free, and you have an agreement that said it's free, then you can try submitting it yourself without ROFR. Try emailing to owner.modifications@vacationclub.com

Great! Thank you!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Does the deed have the stamps on it saying it was recorded?

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Does the deed have the stamps on it saying it was recorded?

Yes and it’s listed on Clark County website.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
So, I "purchased" a 1 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau on ebay (it was $6 but they didn’t accept payment as it would be gifted) from Vacation Properties for Less. All the paperwork was sent quickly. I received estoppel before signing and called Marriott Vacation Club to verify. Reviews on here were mostly positive for vacationpropertiesforless with most people saying they were slow but it panned out. The red flag should have been that they kept changing names, but I thought what the heck I'm not giving them any money anyway.

Approximate timeline - win bid in April. send paperwork back, receive a copy of deed recorded May 15, 2019. I call Marriott and they have no notation that the week is being transferred. I contact VPL by email around June 5th and they reply that they are going through attorneys because they are transferring a lot of properties and doing some buybacks. This makes no sense, I ask for clarification and they state that they are going through the legal department as opposed to titling dept and this should actually expedite the process. June 27, I follow up again, they say it is “in process.”

Yesterday I called Marriott to learn that the property in question is being bought back by Marriott. There is no notation at all that the property was to be transferred. I call VPL, no answer mailbox full. I call the title company American Resource Management Group (their info is on my documents) and they are now “Resort Release”. BBB lists Vacation Properties for Less and American Resource Management Group as bankrupt as of April 2019. I guess they are changing their name again. I call any and all numbers I can find, speak to someone who says she can’t help me. I finally get someone on the phone named Catherine who is trying to tell me that Vacation Properties is a separate company… I finally get her to admit she is affiliated and she promises to look into it and call me back. I suddenly receive a BS email from VPL telling me that properties sometimes take 3-6 months to transfer. I ask for transfer form and come to find that the one she sent has sellers info blurred out/missing. I call BS via email, and the person from VPL is offended and states how they are so efficient and have transferred thousands of timeshares. They have not returned my latest email demanding both signed contract and signed transfer form and the date the transfer form was submitted. I have a copy of the signed, recorded deed and I verified recording with the county via their website.

Now what? I didn’t give any money but I have a deed in my name that won’t transfer without seller transferring it but according to Marriott they signed a contract for buyback (I believe it was after deed recording). I was supposed to have usage this year too. I’m going to call Marriott again today and see if I can speak to someone in the legal department. I have the seller’s phone number too…

Advice? Sorry for length and disregard for grammar.
Sorry that this is happening. It's always a crapshoot with ebay sellers.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes and it’s listed on Clark County website.

Well they definitely should not have recorded it before submitting and and receiving a ROFR waiver.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Dang, I bought one of my TS's from vacations properties for less and it take forever but they finally got it in my name, so sorry that they went bankrupt...

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Well they definitely should not have recorded it before submitting and and receiving a ROFR waiver.

Apparently I just learned that $10 is the minimum that has to be on deed for tax purposes, I think in that state. It’s still a gift so I am going to try and submit my own request for transfer.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Update: VPL is sending me the docs to transfer the property myself. Maybe they were being truthful and their process is just ridiculously long? It doesn’t explain why MVC thinks they are buying the property back but I’ve got the deed and contract so I will send in the docs and see what happens.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The procedure is the deed gets transferred to your name and then the resort has to transfer it to the new owner in their system. Which I think means the closing company never got a current estoppel before transferring the deed to you. Marriott exercised right of first refusal on it. Apparently the person handling it with the closing company didn't know that Marriott does exercise right of first refusal and skipped that step before they proceeded with the transfer of the deed to you. Also we've had six Las Vegas resale properties and they always put down $500. It seems like I was told that is the minimum to avoid whatever the complications are.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update: VPL is sending me the docs to transfer the property myself. Maybe they were being truthful and their process is just ridiculously long? It doesn’t explain why MVC thinks they are buying the property back but I’ve got the deed and contract so I will send in the docs and see what happens.

I would suggest taking everything and give all of the documents to a reputable closing company who can permanently clear this up in short order.

www.LTTransfers.com

LT Transfers is highly recommended here on TUG and they know their stuff.

It may cost you $250 or so, but it will be permanently cleared up. The last thing you want to do is to have a Timeshare that you will be unable to use or sell because everything was mishandled. $250 is Cheap Money!

Best of luck.

BWC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, having similar issues with this eBay seller and have questions. Should I post on this thread or start a new one?

Thanks.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Hi all, having similar issues with this eBay seller and have questions. Should I post on this thread or start a new one?

Thanks.
Start a new one. Parent company filed Chapter 11

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club

Thanks.

You can add here if you want. Curious what the situation is.

BWC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As StellerGal said, Vacation Properties for Less, LLC has filed for Chapter 11 restructure. We won an auction on eBay (for $0.01) in February 2019 and have been waiting for the transfer process to be completed. VPL LLC was in regular contact with me the first six weeks or so and then would respond to emails within 24 hours. After late May there was radio silence. I couldn’t get anyone to reply by email. Catherine finally reached out to me mid-June and said their “tilting agency is working on recording and finalizing the transfer with the resort.”

I emailed Catherine a couple of times since mid-June, but I didn’t hear from her until last week (July 25th). She said that they are waiting on the trustee assigned to them through the bankruptcy proceeding to issue checks ($186) to pay for titling, recording, and transfer fees related to our transfer and those of other buyers. She doesn’t know when this will be resolved because the timing is in the hands of the trustee.

She did say that some buyers have opted to pay the $186 fee out-of-pocket to expedite the transfer (previously the transfer fee was the responsibility of the seller). I’m vacillating as to whether or not to pay the fee in hopes of closing the transfer sooner. I’m a bit nervous about putting money into the transfer given how long the process has taken. Any advice on next steps?

Thanks.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The REAL question is; Will the $186 actually get the property transferred or will it go into someone's pocket and disappear?

It's a tough dilemma that you are in. Look at Post #18 and spend that money to have someone dependable do the transfer for you.

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Reactions: BWC

BWC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks TheTimeTraveler. Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm a student and work full-time so it's difficult to get into the forum regularly. What you said is exactly my concern. How do I know that the $186 will go to getting the property transferred? If I knew that for sure, then I would absolutely spend the money to complete the process. You mention post #18 and having a company handle the transfer. Is that an option in this scenario? How would I go about doing that? Unlike Theiggy, the title has not yet been transferred to my name.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks TheTimeTraveler. Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm a student and work full-time so it's difficult to get into the forum regularly. What you said is exactly my concern. How do I know that the $186 will go to getting the property transferred? If I knew that for sure, then I would absolutely spend the money to complete the process. You mention post #18 and having a company handle the transfer. Is that an option in this scenario? How would I go about doing that? Unlike Theiggy, the title has not yet been transferred to my name.

I think you may want to contact LTTransfers directly and bring them up to speed on your situation. See if they are willing (at your expense) to step in and take over the closing process for you.

The seller shouldn't object "if" they are a legitimate operation; after all they have agreed to sell this to you, and you only doing what you feel is in your best interest to get the property transferred into your name..... Personally, I would not want to provide the seller with any more funds.

Reactions: BWC