• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Driving from New England to Fairbanks,Alaska

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello TUGgers,

Has anyone done this drive? My grand daughter and her boyfriend will be driving to Alaska in August. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kathleen

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hello TUGgers,

Has anyone done this drive? My grand daughter and her boyfriend will be driving to Alaska in August. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Kathleen

From where?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
From where?

Dave
That would help.

My first thought is, I hope they are planning lots of time for this trip. Is their intent to get to Fairbanks as quickly as they can, or are they taking the opportunity to see things along the way.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of ways to do it. Perhaps Google map the route for shortest distance. What do they want to see/do enroute? Do they want to stay primarily in U.S. Or Canada? Do they want to stay primarily East or West of the Rocky Mountains? What sort of vehicle are they taking? Is it well maintained? Under warrantee? Any interest in just driving to N. of Seattle and putting the car on an Alaska Marine Highway ferry to Anchorage?

See. Lots of ways, and this just scratched the surface.

Jim

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Is this just a pleasure trip or a permanent relocation? If the latter, and they enter Canada at some point to access the ALCAN (Alaska) Highway, there are a whole bunch of things to be aware of as to what can and what can't be brought into Canada, even if just in-transit. They will also need valid passports. The vehicle needs to be mechanically sound before even starting the trip.

Once on the ALCAN, parts of the route are pretty remote, although better in the summer time. So need to ensure there is always at least one functioning spare tire, the gas tank is kept topped up, as well as food and water and good emergency and first aid kits. Some areas may also have limited or non-existent cell phone coverage. Plus they will need cell phone plans (or add-ons) that will work in Canada.

This is a major trip and can be amazing and a lot of fun, but requires a lot of planning. It's not like driving to NYC for the weekend!

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I think that they have already covered most of your suggestions in their plan. He is in the Air Force. He will be stationed in Alaska for three years.They will be driving from CT. They are leaving in August. It seems that they have done very well in their planning. Kathleen

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you for your help. I think that they have already covered most of your suggestions in their plan. He is in the Air Force. He will be stationed in Alaska for three years.They will be driving from CT. They are leaving in August. It seems that they have done very well in their planning. Kathleen

Adding to the excellent comments above: Driving from Connecticut to Fairbanks in August will be a great trip, but they'd be smart to plan around possible weather issues, depending on the route, and how much time they have to spend. You say they've done well with their planning, so it may already be under consideration. Weather in Alaska can be highly variable, and Fall can come early.

Picturing options in my head (without looking at a map) I imagine they could either drive Interstate 80/90 to the Pacific Northwest, then head up into British Columbia to catch the ALCAN. There are a lot of amazing scenic places along those routes to stop, and make a huge vacation out of things. An alternate would be to head up into Canada from New England, and drive the Trans-Canada Highway all the way across to BC, which would be a spectacular way to see a lot of Canada most Americans never will. There are lots of scenic places to stop along that route, too.

If he's being transferred with the Air Force, I presume their household goods are being shipped, and they're just driving themselves in one vehicle? Towing anything? Kids, pets? If it's just the two of them in one vehicle, just about any route they want to take would work, depending on time and preferences. If they're moving themselves, driving a U-Haul full of household effects, and towing their car, it adds a whole different dimension to things, and the most direct route makes more sense.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What an adventure!

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will be driving a pick up truck with his stuff. He is ordered to only do 500 miles a day. I think that they will head for N Dakota then cross over to Winnipeg and start the long run Northwest. It seems that the challenge will be where to stop/stay when they get to a lot of Nothing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
They will be driving a pick up truck with his stuff. He is ordered to only do 500 miles a day. I think that they will head for N Dakota then cross over to Winnipeg and start the long run Northwest. It seems that the challenge will be where to stop/stay when they get to a lot of Nothing.

It sounds like they'll be fine. Be sure to note @CanuckTravlr 's comments about what you can and can't bring through Canada customs. Even if he's under orders, he can't take prohibited things into Canada. It was already mentioned, but about the only way I know he could avoid driving into Canada to get there would be to stop in Bellingham, Washington, (90 miles north of Seattle), and catch the Alaska Ferry to Anchorage. https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Dave

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22

Glad to hear they are doing a lot of planning. The route you mention is a good one. We have taken most of it at one time or another.

During the "tourist" season on the ALCAN highway there are a few more gas and motel stops, but they are still sometimes 150 to 250 kilometres (100 to 150 miles) apart. But the regular advice is to always keep the tank topped up, and never below a half tank, just in case. And those motels can book up quickly, since there are so few of them. So they should be figuring out where they want to stop and booking rooms ASAP. There is an actual website with lots of suggestions for using the ALCAN highway.

https://www.themilepost.com/

You say he is bringing "his stuff" with him in his pick-up truck. I am a Canadian air force brat, so I was used to having our household goods shipped to the next base, as suggested by DaveNW. Then we just had to drive there in our car, staying in motels along the way. If he is an unmarried, enlisted airman living in barracks, then he may not have much in the way of goods, so that may be why he is bringing his stuff with him?? Ensure they know what documents they need and what food and other items are prohibited, or limited in quantity, from entry.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

The following is not intended to presume anything. If any of his "stuff" includes any kind of weapon, please have him check the Canada Border Services Agency and/or RCMP websites for information on bringing them into Canada. This is one of the biggest problem areas for people relocating to Alaska through Canada, especially if they are hunters. Most rifles and shotguns can be registered at the border for transit. But many weapons, such as handguns, cannot easily be brought into Canada and many are out-rightly prohibited, including mace and certain types of ammunition. Magazine clip sizes are also severely restricted in Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

Again, I am not being judgmental here in any way, but if it applies to him he needs to do his homework. Many Americans are so used to not having any real restrictions that it does not occur to them to check it out ahead of time. It would be unfortunate to have the weapons seized or be turned back and have to come up with an alternate plan at the last minute.

It is a fantastic journey as long as they don't have to rush it too much. I think they will be amazed at the changes in geography and scenery as they cross the continent in both countries. I wish them a safe and enjoyable journey.

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. They are aware of the Canadian restrictions on weapons. Not a problem for them. I even got my pepper spray taken from me crossing last year. (I think that is really overdoing it) The kids are up for the adventure. I will tell them about booking lodging ASAP. The links will be Very helpful for reference. Kathleen

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
You're welcome. Sounds like they have done a good job in planning what they need to do. Glad you found the links helpful. We'll agree to disagree on the pepper spray. :)

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree on the pepper spray? I am am confused. I had my pepper spray confiscated at the border. I was asked if I had any. I said yes. I had to go into the station. Sign a paper and they took it. That is what happened.

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
CanuckTravlr, If you are of the opinion that taking my pepper spray is not overdoing, we certainly do not agree. Agree to disagree.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Yes. Any type of hidden weapon (i.e. in a purse or glove compartment), including pepper spray, mace or similar product is a prohibited weapon in Canada and is subject to confiscation. That is why it was taken from you and I believe that the form you signed was that you wished to voluntarily surrender it, since you did not do it knowingly. Otherwise, you technically could have been denied entry or even charged with a criminal offence, but that is rarely done unless the spray has actually been used against another person.

The only time you can legally be carrying any type of pepper spray is if you are travelling outdoors in places where there may be bears or other dangerous animals. In those locations it is sold in large canisters, clearly marked as bear spray, that cannot easily be concealed in a purse or elsewhere. To have it in your possession in most other circumstances can lead to charges and if you actually use it against a person, you will face criminal charges here. There are similar regulations in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and many western European countries.

This is what I mean by Americans needing to read up on what is considered a weapon in Canada before showing up at the border. Without getting political here, we have a very different attitude about people being armed with any type of potentially damaging or lethal weapon, even for self-defence, especially where the potential weapon can be concealed. If you have ever talked to anyone sprayed with pepper spray, you might then understand why that type of thing is on a prohibited list here.

I know several police and military personnel who have sometimes been exposed to it as part of their training, so they know how to deal with it if it happens to them. They all found it to be a debilitating experience, even if you have mostly recovered in an hour or so. And you definitely have the right to disagree, but it is a moot point once you cross the border into our country.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
CanuckTravlr, If you are of the opinion that taking my pepper spray is not overdoing, we certainly do not agree. Agree to disagree.

We (non-Canadians) are guests in their country. It is up to us, the visitors, to understand the requirements for entry. Condescending attitudes that "our way is the only way" is what earned us the stereotype of the "ugly American".

Sue

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Although it may be too late now, would Nexus help with the border crossing(s)?