• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

T&L Colonial Williamsburg is the place to be in July.

DRIless

Reaction score
Colonial Williamsburg is the place to be in July. LINK

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is this your newsletter? When you post something like this it's a good idea to briefly include your intent, so it's not perceived as advertisting.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It's definitely just an official Colonial Williamsburg newsletter. However, having been to CW in July and during a heat wave in June, I can predict that it's a very hot place to be in July!

DRIless

Reaction score
Is this your newsletter? When you post something like this it's a good idea to briefly include your intent, so it's not perceived as advertisting.
I wish I made $817,214 a year but my name is not Mitchell Reiss, nor Pit Bull.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks liked a CW publication. It is in mid Ninety today with the heat index in the ninetys. In other words it is Hot and Humid in the Williamsburg, VA areas. IMO.:p

DRIless

Reaction score
It's a beautiful day in the Burg!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been once........we keep saying we are going back someday. We really enjoyed it and Water Country & Busch Gardens.

And boy was it hot when we went during the month of August.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
July and August are "no-go" for Williamsburg. It's not only hot, but the humidity is stifling,
and there's little to no breeze at all.....so, there's stagnant air and it can border on intolerable.
One trip there for 4th of July 15 years ago was enough for us. Fall, spring, or winter are fine, but never summer.

Orlando can be the same, but we have been hottest in Williamsburg. At least Orlando has afternoon showers
and cools off somewhat. So if you have the flexibility, forget summer in Williamsburg.
Busch Gardens and Water Country are not even fun.
This may sound strange coming from a Georgia boy, as we're supposed to be used to the heat and humidity,
but not that extreme. Walking around Colonial Wmsbg with little relief and nowhere to go for adequate A/C is too brutal.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
July and August are "no-go" for Williamsburg. It's not only hot, but the humidity is stifling,
and there's little to no breeze at all.....so, there's stagnant air and it can border on intolerable.
One trip there for 4th of July 15 years ago was enough for us. Fall, spring, or winter are fine, but never summer.

Orlando can be the same, but we have been hottest in Williamsburg. At least Orlando has afternoon showers
and cools off somewhat. So if you have the flexibility, forget summer in Williamsburg.
Busch Gardens and Water Country are not even fun.
This may sound strange coming from a Georgia boy, as we're supposed to be used to the heat and humidity,
but not that extreme. Walking around Colonial Wmsbg with little relief and nowhere to go for adequate A/C is too brutal.

I like the heat but I have to agree with your thoughts on Williamsburg being too hot in the summer. We went the last week in June about 7 years ago and it was over 100 degrees for much of the week. During the days when the weather was only in the 90's we did Colonial Williamsburg and Busch gardens, however, when the weather was over 100 we did Water Country and just stayed in the lazy river for hours to keep cool. We would have liked more Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens and less water park that week, but preventing heat exhaustion was more important than site seeing.

Reactions: jme

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
duplicate post

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went in July last time we went, and it was intense. Once we were there in the summer and it was 120 with the heat index. The resort got a giant block of ice and tossed it into the pool for the kids to play with, and to cool off the pool. It melted away incredibly fast. Next time, we're going in April. It's nice then, but still pretty darned warm!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, the humidity in the Burg, this month has been downright unbearable.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wife and I bought in a "senior friendly" development in Williamsburg earlier this year. We won't move in until fall. Last Saturday I was painting the garage floor with gray epoxy paint. Boy, did that spread thin. ;) However - at 95 degrees, I realized I had bit off more than I could chew. I was exhausted. I never saw a neighbor. No lawn watering. No car washing. Nothing.... My daughter went to school there and lives there now. There is a certain amount of adaptation involved. Like living at high altitude. Those 2 rivers (York and James) dump a lot of humidity into the peninsula, and the dead air does not help. I am not a fan of my wife's desire to do this, but after 39 years, it is a little late to back out.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Wife and I bought in a "senior friendly" development in Williamsburg earlier this year. We won't move in until fall. Last Saturday I was painting the garage floor with gray epoxy paint. Boy, did that spread thin. ;) However - at 95 degrees, I realized I had bit off more than I could chew. I was exhausted. I never saw a neighbor. No lawn watering. No car washing. Nothing.... My daughter went to school there and lives there now. There is a certain amount of adaptation involved. Like living at high altitude. Those 2 rivers (York and James) dump a lot of humidity into the peninsula, and the dead air does not help. I am not a fan of my wife's desire to do this, but after 39 years, it is a little late to back out.

It’s nice 3/4 of the year. I would honestly love to live and retire in Wburg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We went during Spring break years ago and it was hot and humid then. The only thing that broke the heat was the thunderstorm. So summer in Williamsburg. No thanks. I do not do humidity well.

DRIless

Reaction score
I apologize to TUG that this thread appears to have been HIJACKED by overzealous moderators who would rather instantly find fault than look at content, and the myriad of people that can't take the heat, just stay out of the kitchen (and don't ever go to Columbia SC where it's "FAMOUSLY HOT.")

Colonial Williamsburg Launches
New Admission Pricing July 8
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (June 25, 2019) – Colonial Williamsburg launches new admission pricing
July 8 for guests to experience the world’s largest living history museum, two world-class art
museums and more. The new rates reflect the Foundation’s first regular admission price
increases in four years.
“Colonial Williamsburg offers enormous value for the range of sites, art museums, programs
and benefits available to ticket and pass holders” said Colonial Williamsburg Director of Sales
Paula Pritchard. “We’re fortunate to have maintained current prices since 2015, however the
market and good stewardship require that we adjust. We thank the community and our guests
for their support, and we invite them to join us and experience our shared American story.”
Colonial Williamsburg’s primary admission tickets are the Single-day Ticket; the Multiday
Ticket for visits during three consecutive days; the Annual Pass, good for one year from date of
purchase, the Art Museums Single-day Ticket and the annual Good Neighbor Pass for residents
of Williamsburg, James City County and the Bruton District of York County.
Prices Effective July 8
Adult Youth Ages 6-12
Single-day Ticket $44.99 $24.99
Multi-day Ticket $54.99 $29.99
Annual Pass $74.99 $41.99
Art Museums
Single-day Ticket $14.99 $8.99
Good Neighbor
Pass $19.99 $9.99
In addition to roughly 40 historic sites and trade shops, daily interpretive programs and tours,
and admission to the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum and the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller
Folk Art Museum, Single-day and Multiday ticket-holder benefits include complimentary shuttle
service and seasonal discounts on carriage rides.
Annual Good Neighbor Pass benefits include 25 percent off select evening programs and child
costume rentals, discounted tickets for family and friends and 10 percent off Colonial
Williamsburg retail and food and beverage purchases.
Colonial Williamsburg offers free annual Good Neighbor passes to local teachers and 50 percent
off Single-day tickets and Annual Passes to other teachers with professional ID.
Prices for 2019 area tickets are unchanged:
 The America’s Historic Triangle Ticket provides admission to Colonial Williamsburg
sites, Historic Jamestowne, Jamestown Settlement, American Revolution Museum at
Yorktown and Yorktown Battlefield; $100, $45 for youths ages 6-15
 The Williamsburg Flex Ticket provides admission to Colonial Williamsburg sites, Busch
Gardens Williamsburg, Water Country USA, Historic Jamestowne, Jamestown
Settlement, American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, and Yorktown Battlefield for
seven consecutive days and includes parking; $201.69, $152.69 for youths ages 6-15
 The Summer Bounce Ticket provides unlimited admission to Colonial Williamsburg,
Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Water Country USA for seven consecutive days and
includes parking at each site May 17-Sept 8; $145.99, $102.99 for youths ages 6-12
Colonial Williamsburg is a private, not-for-profit foundation that receives no regular state or
federal funding. Revenue from admission ticket sales and commercial operations such as
hospitality and products and philanthropic support sustain Colonial Williamsburg’s core
mission of education programs and preservation.
Tickets and additional information are available information are available at Colonial
Williamsburg ticket locations, by visiting colonialwilliamsburg.com or by calling 855-296-6627
toll-free. Information is also available by following Colonial Williamsburg on Facebook and
@colonialwmsburg on Twitter and Instagram.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
@ DRIless in post above (didn't wish to copy the long thread)

How can the thread become hijacked when the very first statement by the OP is
"Colonial Williamsburg is the place to be in July." That title begs the responses such as it got.
Several people responded to the contrary, sure, but that was very easy to understand.

The cold hard fact is that Williamsburg is NOT the place to be in July, and one must start
from that initial premise regardless of the "content" thereafter.

You mentioned Carolina, but the timeshare destinations there have plenty of water to jump into (beach and pools), ocean breezes are free,
and aside from Water Country, the visitors to Williamsburg aren't there to do that.
The ONLY good reason to be there in Williamsburg in July might be to take advantage of lower pricing of activities,
but what does that tell you?
It tells me that it's not a good time to enjoy the weather, so the ads will try to coax you into coming. And Williamsburg involves
a LOT of walking outside. Imagine those over 55 doing that all day. Cheap or not, so what?
If your idea of enjoying Williamsburg is only touring the museums, and they truly ARE amazing, then fine,
they do have A/C, but that's only 10% of Williamsburg. And there are no breezes in Colonial Wmsbg, so the hot air is stagnant and unrelenting. Huge point.

I happen to be from Georgia, typically much warmer temps and definitely higher humidity than Williamsburg,
so I can take both my hometown heat and yours. But simply put, I would not recommend going to Williamsburg
in July or August, and that conclusion is most appropriate for replying to the opening statement given.

We love Williamsburg, always have, and we've visited numerous times, and even purchased Manor Club because of it.
But there are good times to visit and worse times to visit, and since this website is founded
on the principles of helping out fellow timeshare owners in every way possible, every single post you cite
does NOT stray from the intended purpose of explaining WHY the original premise was inherently incorrect.

Yes, there are a ton of things to do in July in Williamsburg, but it does not necessarily mean it will be comfortable
or advisable, and the posters relayed that information with their personal experiences. I happen to have plans to be there
a week later on in the season, and can't wait.
EVERY RESORT has a good season, a better season, and a not-so-good season for occupying---it's even illustrated
by Interval International by means of a chart for every single resort. A lot of effort was put into that chart for a reason---
it's relevant AND important.

The best season for Williamsburg, imho, is Fall, followed by Spring, Winter, and finally
Summer in a distant position. Is "mud season" in Park City the best time to be there? Depends on if you prefer to
ski or hike, and I'd take a wild shot and say that the ski season has much higher rates, so you make the conclusion.

We own most of our timeshare weeks during the Summer at both Hilton Head & Myrtle Beach, and that is because
kids are traditionally out of school, but we agree and often say that for those who don't like it, Summer is very hot,
prohibitively so to many, so you'd better be both aware and ready. But at least at Hilton Head and "Carolina",
you have alternative ways to avoid the heat, as mentioned (beach and pools), so it's a different comparison.
Williamsburg does have Water Country, but not all visitors can do that more than a single day, if ever.

We tried to continue with the outdoor activities the year we were at Colonial Williamsburg during July,
but we had to abandon it. It was dangerously too hot, and we were all miserable.
Can't control the weather, so it has nothing to do with my personal preferences
or those of others.
So kindly accept the admonition of reasonable posters here who had something relevant and informative to say.

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score
How can the thread become hijacked when the very first statement by the OP is
"Colonial Williamsburg is the place to be in July." That title begs the responses such as it got.
Several people responded to the contrary, sure, but that was very easy to understand.

The cold hard fact is that Williamsburg is NOT the place to be in July, and one must start
from that initial premise regardless of the "content" thereafter.

You mentioned Carolina, but the timeshare destinations there have plenty of water to jump into (beach and pools),
and aside from Water Country, the visitors to Williamsburg aren't there to do that.
The ONLY good reason to be there in Williamsburg in July might be to take advantage of lower pricing of activities,
but what does that tell you?
It tells me that it's not a good time to enjoy the weather, so the ads will try to coax you into coming. And Williamsburg involves
a LOT of walking outside. Imagine those over 55 doing that all day. Cheap or not, so what?
If your idea of enjoying Williamsburg is only touring the museums, and they truly ARE amazing, then fine,
they do have A/C, but that's only 10% of Williamsburg.

I happen to be from Georgia, typically much warmer temps and definitely higher humidity than Williamsburg,
so I can take both my hometown heat and yours. But simply put, I would not recommend going to Williamsburg
in July or August, and that conclusion is most appropriate for replying to the opening statement given.

We love Williamsburg, always have, and we've visited numerous times, and even purchased Manor Club because of it.
But there are good times to visit and worse times to visit, and since this website is founded
on the principles of helping out fellow timeshare owners in every way possible, every single post you cite
does NOT stray from the intended purpose of explaining WHY the original premise was inherently incorrect.

Yes, there are a ton of things to do in July in Williamsburg, but it does not necessarily mean it will be comfortable
or advisable, and the posters relayed that information with their personal experiences. I happen to have plans to be there
a week later on in the season, and can't wait.
EVERY RESORT has a good season, a better season, and a not-so-good season for occupying---it's even illustrated
by Interval International by means of a chart for every single resort. A lot of effort was put into that chart for a reason---
it's relevant AND important.

The best season for Williamsburg, imho, is Fall, followed by Spring, Winter, and finally
Summer in a distant position. Is "mud season" in Park City the best time to be there? Depends on if you prefer to
ski or hike, and I'd take a wild shot and say that the ski season has much higher rates, so you make the conclusion.

We own most of our timeshare weeks during the Summer at both Hilton Head & Myrtle Beach, and that is because
kids are traditionally out of school, but we agree and often say that for those who don't like it, Summer is very hot,
prohibitively so to many, so you'd better be both aware and ready. But at least at Hilton Head and "Carolina",
you have alternative ways to avoid the heat, as mentioned (beach and pools), so it's a different comparison.
Williamsburg does have Water Country, but not all visitors can do that more than a single day, if ever.

We tried to continue with the outdoor activities the year we were at Colonial Williamsburg during July,
but we had to abandon it. It was dangerously too hot, and we were all miserable.
Can't control the weather, so it has nothing to do with my personal preferences
or those of others.
So kindly accept the admonition of reasonable posters here who had something relevant and informative to say.
Tidewater Virginia has tons more water to jump into than any similar sized area in South Carolina. The York and James Rivers, the Chickahominy River, the Chesapeake Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean are all right there!

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Tidewater Virginia has tons more water to jump into than any similar sized area in South Carolina. The York and James Rivers, the Chickahominy River, the Chesapeake Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean are all right there!

In fact, one of the times I was in Williamsburg in June I started my day with a nice refreshing jump in the James River, followed by a 56 mile bike ride and a 13.1 mile run in the 90 degree heat. That nice refreshing swim in the river didn’t change my resolve to never do that race again because the time of year was bound to be unpleasant, and if I want unpleasant weather as someone mentioned above I can stay right at home in Georgia.

I also don’t see how any of the criticism in this thread is the work of “overzealous moderators.” Just regular everyday users who’ve been to Williamsburg in the summer. No need to apologize to TUG - we are TUG. ;)

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Looking back at this topic, I notice my post is gone, but my "duplicate post" post is still here.

I've been to Williamsburg many times, but only three in timeshares. It's too hot in July and August and my last trip there in June was also bordering on too hot. April was wet and cool, and late fall was rather comfortable. The town has grown a great deal since the big construction time for the colonial area in the 90's.

DRIless

Reaction score
Looking back at this topic, I notice my post is gone, but my "duplicate post" post is still here.

I've been to Williamsburg many times, but only three in timeshares. It's too hot in July and August and my last trip there in June was also bordering on too hot. April was wet and cool, and late fall was rather comfortable. The town has grown a great deal since the big construction time for the colonial area in the 90's.
What big construction time for the colonial area in the 90's ? The colonial area was reconstructed in the 1930s.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not Williamsburg, but James City County grew like weeds in the 85-2005 time period. New developments went up in areas that formerly were fields and woods. Ford's Colony is one of them. The population went sky high, and has settled down by now. The City of Williamsburg doesn't have many/any places to build and hasn't in about 50 years.

As for the weather...I grew up there and still go back about 6-10 times a year. I've also been to Maryland, NC, SC, GA, and FL during the summer. They are all miserably hot and humid. The problem with Williamsburg is that they still get snow, but rarely a foot. It's a tough call whether to trade a couple of hotter southern months for those two cold months in January and February. Even Virginia Beach is much more tolerable in the winter. People from the west coast or mountain states have no clue what to expect. Williamsburg has two perfect times of year....April 20-May 20 and October 10-November 10. The rest can be hit or miss. I still love Williamsburg.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The City of Williamsburg doesn't have many/any places to build and hasn't in about 50 years.

Matt, next time you are there, take Rt. 199 to Mooretown Road. Go past Lowes, the hospital, et al. to Bullifant. Make a left there (at Ferguson) then take your first right into Arbordale. THEN, come back out - take another right and go to the end of the road. You will not believe your eyes!! Used to be zoned commercial, but never happened. York County. I will be living there in the winter months.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Not Williamsburg, but James City County grew like weeds in the 85-2005 time period. New developments went up in areas that formerly were fields and woods. Ford's Colony is one of them. The population went sky high, and has settled down by now. The City of Williamsburg doesn't have many/any places to build and hasn't in about 50 years.

As for the weather...I grew up there and still go back about 6-10 times a year. I've also been to Maryland, NC, SC, GA, and FL during the summer. They are all miserably hot and humid. The problem with Williamsburg is that they still get snow, but rarely a foot. It's a tough call whether to trade a couple of hotter southern months for those two cold months in January and February. Even Virginia Beach is much more tolerable in the winter. People from the west coast or mountain states have no clue what to expect. Williamsburg has two perfect times of year....April 20-May 20 and October 10-November 10. The rest can be hit or miss. I still love Williamsburg.

I am receiving a $250 gift card, with seller paying closing and transfer costs, to take over a Williamsburg Plantation, week 15, 4LBR/4BA! Week 15 is about April 12, check in. If you wondering why I'm so happy, my birthday falls within week 15! Charge!

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score
I am receiving a $250 gift card, with seller paying closing and transfer costs, to take over a Williamsburg Plantation, week 15, 4LBR/4BA! Week 15 is about April 12, check in. If you wondering why I'm so happy, my birthday falls within week 15! Charge!
Because of the way Easter dates jump around each and every year, many years this will be a poor trader, just sayin'.