• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Sapphire Question? Is it worth it. What are the perks.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a frequent traveler these days for business, Leisure, and shuttling about between homesteads I too am always looking for the best deals.

Would like to get the latest advice on the Chase Sapphire CC? I know in the past some of you Tugsters have noted the benefits. That info may be a few years old now.
Looking for the latest info and advice. One tugger that comes to mind in the past is Cindy of RickandCindy fame.

Please share the latest info. Thanks in advance :)

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
My wife has a Sapphire Reserve. The annual fee of $450 is easily offset by the $300 annual credit for travel expenses charged to the card. I dislike annual fees, but we get substantial benefit from it and I have no intention of canceling it.

Maximizing the value of the Sapphire Reserve takes a bit of work and some time to set things up. We have what some call the "Chase quadfecta." You'll find info on that if you do a Google search. Dan (the rabbi) can explain it to you: https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/chase-quadfecta-least-23-arent-rightbut/. If a rabbi tells you it's OK, it's got to be kosher.

This means we have:

1. one Sapphire Reserve card - $450 annual fee (easily reduced by $300 with travel expense credit).
2. one Freedom Unlimited account - no annual fee. I am an authorized user on her account.
3. 3 Chase Freedom accounts - 2 in my name, one for my wife - no annual fees
4. 4 Chase Ink Cash cards - that means I have an account (and my wife is an authorized user) and she has an account (and I am an authorized user). There are no annual fees on these.

All of these credit cards earn Chase Ultimate Reward points. It's a game. Basically, the different cards earn U.R. points at different rates from different types of merchants. For example, we tend to use the Sapphire Reserve for travel and dining expenses and the Ink Cash for telephone, internet, and office supply stores. Once you learn the ropes, points build surprisingly quickly. I transfer ALL points earned to the Sapphire Reserve because they have maximum redemption value from there.

My understanding is that it has gotten a little harder to get approved for a Sapphire Reserve account compared to when the card was initially launched. If you are interested, but your application is denied, the back door may be to get a Chase Sapphire Preferred card instead (this is still a good travel card, but not quite as strong as the Reserve) and sometime later (before you have to pay another annual fee) call Chase and ask to be upgraded.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I have had the Chase Sapphire reserve card (my wife is an authorized user) since the bonus of 100,000 points was offered. Like Rus, I feel that the fee is well justified and easily compensated by the $300 travel credit and other benefits of the card. For example the Priority Pass airport lounge benefit was better than the Amex platinum card as it allowed unlimited guests (we once had 8 guests at an airport lounge with us) vs 2 for Amex. The 3x points on dining and travel adds up quickly and the Chase Ultimate rewards travel site is the best redemption deal for points for travel (as it uses cash value instead of specific airline points). Many of the other benefits aren't really significant but they do have some that may be valuable to certain members.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I go this card when they had the 100,000 point bonus and it is the only card I still keep that has an annual fee. I hate paying fees. I have had a Chase Marriott card for 10+ years and every year get the entire fee or at least $50 credited. The fee on the Sapphire Reserve Card comes down to $150 after you factor in the travel benefit.

For this you get primary car rental insurance- a claim for Hertz was quickly taken care of for $700+. Using my AMEX Platinum it was considered secondary coverage- took forever to get the claim settled and caused my insurance rates to go up for 4 years.

You get trip cancellation and trip delay insurance. I have used the trip cancellation benefit and got a ticket price of around $250 reimbursed. One thing you are better off with one of the basic economy fares since they are non-refundable and non-changeable. I got back the $150 change fee immediately and had to wait a year to get back the rest of my money when I showed the remainder was not used.
You can transfer points to many frequent flyer and hotel accounts at a 1:1 ratio or get 1.5 cents of value towards plane tickets or other travel providers. I have sometimes found much cheaper rates for hotels on their site than from hotels directly. I see which way winds up cheaper and either book using points or transfer to my frequent flyer account. Plus if you book the ticket with the Reward Points you get frequent flyer credit as a ticket is bought for you thru Expedia.

I do have one question if anyone knows. I am the only authorized user on my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. I also have a Chase Freedom Card that my wife is an authorized user on. I usually only use the Chase Freedom for the bonus categories then transfer to my Chase Sapphire Reserve account and then use. This gives me an effective rate of a 7.5% bonus. I need to top off both mine and wife's United Frequent Flyer accounts for a trip and so far it does not look like I can transfer to her account. Is that possible or do I need to get her a Chase Ink or Sapphire card with me as an authorized user?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so far everyone. Appreciate the info. Will need to review my CC portfolio and consider this along with some consolidation!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
I do have one question if anyone knows. I am the only authorized user on my Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. I also have a Chase Freedom Card that my wife is an authorized user on. I usually only use the Chase Freedom for the bonus categories then transfer to my Chase Sapphire Reserve account and then use. This gives me an effective rate of a 7.5% bonus. I need to top off both mine and wife's United Frequent Flyer accounts for a trip and so far it does not look like I can transfer to her account. Is that possible or do I need to get her a Chase Ink or Sapphire card with me as an authorized user?

AFAIK, you are correct that you cannot transfer Chase U.R. points from your U.R. account to her United account. In order to transfer U.R. points to her United account, she would need her own premium Chase credit card that earns U.R. points. The "premium" cards all have annual fees. If she had a premium card, she could either (1) transfer her own U.R. points to her United account or (2) you could transfer your U.R. points to her U.R. account and then on to her United account.

Chase is currently offering 60,000 U.R. points after a $4000 spending requirement on the Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee). Or, if she might be eligible for a business account, 80,000 U.R. points for the Ink Business Preferred ($95 annual fee) after a $5000 spending requirement. There is also a way to possibly get a 100,000 point bonus on the Ink Business Preferred - do a Google search. (I don't see any need for you to be an authorized user on her account. Spouses are allowed to transfer U.R. points to one another if necessary.)

What if she opens a Sapphire Preferred, she does that transfer to United, and then you decide you'd rather not keep paying that $95 annual fee? Well, I used to have a Sapphire Preferred account. Shortly before the one year anniversary (and another annual fee), I downgraded it to a no-fee Chase Freedom, so that's how I have 2 Freedom cards. If you are able to maximize the quarterly Freedom bonus categories, it's nice to have an additional Freedom card. (Just before closing down a Chase card, I always make sure to transfer all points to my spouse so that my points balance is zero.)

One more thought for you: before opening a new account, look at what it would cost if you were to purchase her United ticket using your U.R. points on your Sapphire Reserve. You might be surprised that the points difference (Sapphire Reserve U.R. points versus United miles) isn't as great as you might suspect. Sapphire Reserve U.R. points are worth 1.5 cents. Compare that to the value you are getting with your United miles for this same redemption.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I like the ability to book airfare through the Chase portal with points vs. transferring points to United and other airlines.

The points you use for a flight or a hotel are directly related to the cash price.

A seat on United going to Maui from SFO is $623 in first class on 8/17 (flight I just booked a few weeks ago). No "Saver" award available. There are usually three of us flying, so we would never get three low-cost award seats from United (or Alaska).

One way flights are 90K miles directly with United for that flight. Transferring points to an airline could mean sitting on those points for a long time. Through the Chase portal, powered by Expedia, I booked that flight for 41,573 points. When I book it, it is as though I paid cash for it through Expedia, so United gives me points for that flight.

I stopped using our IHG hotel credit card. I just use it to get our one free hotel night per year. I book the hotels directly through the portal. For example, we just got back from Rawlins, WY two nights ago. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel was $150. That is only 10,000 miles through Chase. Holiday Inn wanted 30,000 points for that night. I would have to transfer 30,000 valuable miles to get that hotel room because I don't do any spend on the IHG card.

The spend we do on timeshare maintenance fees earns 3X points. We own a lot of timeshare because our daughter rents our Wyndham and Vistana timeshares and makes enough profit for herself to stay home with the kids. My profit is the travel I get from the points I use to pay fees. It adds up, plus 3X on restaurants and gas. I used to tell Rick to use the Costco card for gas, but then I realized we get more with Chase.

I still love my Hyatt card and use it for spend and will transfer points to Hyatt from Chase occasionally. We jsut stayed in a hotel in Boston that cost us 8K points and would have been $230. That is a good value and gave us breakfast. I have read that Hyatt is going to change things soon, and I am assuming they don't like that. IHG hotels are not superior at all and get 3-4X more points. It doesn't make sense.

I also rent cars with points through the portal. A $600 car rental is 40,000 points.

Too bad you didn't get the card at 100K points. We both got them. Such a great card.

The minute lounge in ATL was actually pretty nice for us last month. We arrived at the airport, and our plane was delayed by a few hours, so we got to stay in one of those for two hours, the two of us, at no cost at all. We could put our feet up and watch a little TV, but snacks all had a price tag, so we ate our own snacks.

We eat about six times per year at the Denver airport lounge, which is a restaurant called Timberline Steakhouse. They have the best burgers. We can take two guests for each card. Last year in May, we took all of the family with four of us having the cards, and so all 12 of us ate/drank at the restaurant FREE. We had three kids with us who also got $28, but kids' meals are about $6, so we ordered appetizers, and a few got wine, too. You just pay the tip. $28 per person goes a long way, when burgers are $12 with fries. We get soda pop and cheesecake, and we never owe anything. Everything there is so good. Our kids said the nachos would have been a meal for someone.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
It adds up, plus 3X on restaurants and gas. I used to tell Rick to use the Costco card for gas, but then I realized we get more with Chase.

Cindy, which Chase card gives you 3x points on gas?? Our Chase Ultimate Rewards card does not give us 3x points for gas (and I've called them about whether that is considered "travel" or not and been told NO).
We use our Marriott Rewards card for 2x points on gas and non dining and travel charges...when my wife remembers.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Cindy, which Chase card gives you 3x points on gas?? Our Chase Ultimate Rewards card does not give us 3x points for gas (and I've called them about whether that is considered "travel" or not and been told NO).
We use our Marriott Rewards card for 2x points on gas and non dining and travel charges...when my wife remembers.
Geez, I was wrong on that, which is not good because I told Rick a while back to start using CSR for gasoline. :) But I don't like Citibank, so I didn't want to use that Costco card anymore.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Chase Ink Cash is 2X on gas

Gas is one of the 3rd quarter (July-Sept) 5x bonus categories on the Chase Freedom. Make sure to register if you haven't already. That would be a good card for gas purchases until the end of September if you value U.R. points.

Citi ThankYou Premier is 3x ThankYou points on gas.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The added bonus to booking with Chase points through the Ultimate Rewards Portal is that travel earns FF miles for whatever airline you book.

I built enough FF points with Alaska to pay for a first class seat to/from Seattle to Denver. Our points are building fast with United, too. That makes for a nice bonus.

So I kind of burned those points on that flight, but I booked the flights with points to start with, so it was just a bonus.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
This is my go to card for most items, with a $450 price tag, but a $300 instant travel credit, I view this card as a $150 fee. I too have a freedom card for the 5X quarterly specials, and an Ink card for the 5X on phone/cable and office supplies. Both of those get immediately transfered to my CSR, which I almost exclusive use for purchasing flights, which receives the 50% bump on points.

I book usually domestic air, or any transfers or excursions with these fake point currency. That is the best use of the points. If need be, I might occasionally transfer points to an airline to use for Biz class international rewards, which are generally best booked through the airline. I usually book hotels via points or cash as you are treated like a second class citizen if you book hotels through the portal, you do not earn full hotel reward points on expedia book hotel stays. So I stopped doing that.

Since timeshare MFs are considered travel if coded correctly, you get 3X points for MFs, and with the 50% bump on travel you end up getting a 4.5% value when booking travel. When you get 5X on either freedom or ink and transfer it to CSR you end up getting 7.5% value on those items. I am currently sitting on over $6K worth of travel. I have not paid for an airfare, out of pocket, in over 4 years now. I have booked over 18 flights for myself in that timeframe. I track my point usage and received over $8K worth of travel in those 4 years, so on average I am getting $2K worth of travel, not bad for a $150 charge a year.

CSR makes it easy to share points between family members as you can combine multiple accounts into the CSR and get 50% bonus on everyone.

I just got an AMEX Aspire for some Hilton specific travel I was doing, but I think after I get the points and use up my year of perks, I will likely not keep it. It is also $450 price tag, but has over $500 worth of annual perks on top of the bonus points. However those perks are a little harder to cash in, as it is for specific air travel costs and specific Hilton hotel stays, NOT any travel costs like the CSR card is.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I filed a trip delay claim about two years ago. The credit card charge is 10 cents over 4 tickets more then what the united receipt shows. The insurance company is dragging it out. My wifes name in her passport is too long for a credit card. After the rule was changed that the names had to match I could no longer transfer points to her account. The miles in her account expired. Chase did not want to resolve it even if it was discrimination based on race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual preference and martial status. So in the end I got Chase back as best I good.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I filed a complexed trip cancellation claim with Chase Sapphire Reserve involving 4 airlines/flights, 1 cruise line and 2 vendors in early May for a cancelled trip in April. After many phone calls to them to get status updates and several emails from their claims department asking for the same submitted documentation again and again, it has now gone into pending final decision. I just received an email that they will be issuing a check of a certain amount which does not match my claim application. Also, I used 80K UR to book one of the flights and it does not look like I am getting them back, yet. So the saga continues. I hope to receive an itemized statement and status of each claim item soon and when I will be made (almost) whole with their trip cancellation coverage.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had these cards since they first came out. Probably need to cancel DH's card at this point. I put all dining and travel on the card. I use it for primary car rental insurance. I use it for trip cancellation and fortunately have not had to utilize this part yet. I transfer all the points to my Southwest account and pay SW flights with points so I can easily change and rebook. I also transfer points to my British Air card as we use the Companion Pass feature yearly. Our Global Entry is due to be renewed and the card will cover that or just mine if I cancel his. I have yet to use Priority Pass because if we use the points for business class, we get Lounge access.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Quick question: got my CSR a month ago and still have not received Priority Pass Card. Can I go to the lounge by showing my CSR Card? Have a trip next Friday (a week from tomorrow) so would like to know.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Quick question: got my CSR a month ago and still have not received Priority Pass Card. Can I go to the lounge by showing my CSR Card? Have a trip next Friday (a week from tomorrow) so would like to know.

You have to request PP Card, it does not come automatically. When requesting you get a digital card now, and a physical card. So log onto CSR and see how you are to request the card.

They will NOT let you in with a CSR card, but applying and getting set up with Digital card is quick.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I heard from a person here in Denver that the Priority Pass lounge in Denver will be replaced by an actual lounge at the airport, but I hope that doesn't happen. We have had many free meals per year at the Timberline Steakhouse. I think 5 or 6 per year. Every time, I think, "Pinch me, I must be dreaming." Free burger, fries, soft drink, and cheesecake for two.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What Sandy said... You won't get in using the CSR card.
You need a P-P card, but you have to ask CSR for it.
You may need to call it in and talk to a real person.

BTW, Priority Pass has a website which lists their lounges.
We went to one where food was served, but we didn't have time.
So they let us spend up to $50 on their snacks (a/k/a junk food).
... which we packed and carried on board.

Last edited:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean

Call CSR rep and request the card and then they will transfer you to PP who will walk you through setting up the card on your app on your phone. I just did it because i could’t find my physical card (they are mailing me a New one) but i set up a copy of the card on my phone in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We went to a Minute Suite in ATL airport and stayed in there for a good long time with both of our cards. I liked it just fine, private TV, places to put our feet up, and decent internet, but there were no snacks included. There were price tags on every snack. Good thing we always have a big jar of mixed nuts with us, not that we needed it.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I called Chase and they just activated my PP card! The agent told me that I won't be able to obtain a digital card for at least 4-6 business days. Is this true? In any cases, I don't need it until Aug 17 when we return from USVI so I do have time. Flying out we are with United and I have lounge access due my status.