• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What common items aren't being made anymore?

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
VCRs, Tube TV sets, cans with ring and pull off tabs, lead based paint, cigarette lighters and ash trays in cars

Things that will be gone soon:
stand alone GPS devices (Garman, TomTom, etc.)
electric tools with a cord and plug

Things that are still sold, but I don't know why:
Trash compactors
Mercury thermometers

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Drive-in theaters still exist. There is one in Milford NH.

https://www.milforddrivein.com/ From their web site: Today, the Milford Drive-In is the only remaining drive-in theater in southern New Hampshire. Our patrons often drive from great distances just to enjoy the nostalgia, fun times, great food, and first run movies under the stars.

So many of the other things made me smile with memories.

And what is this common sense of which you speak? People don't need common sense, they just look things up on the Internet! And we all know how that works.

Wouldn’t you think that with our cars being as nice as they are and the stereo systems they now have that drive in theaters would make a comeback?

It would be so much nicer than that single window hanging speaker

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So many things could be named here ...

Somewhat akin to the near disappearance of drive-in-theaters, as of a year ago there was only one Blockbuster video store left in the continental US. (Surprising. Talk about a momentary flash.)

On the nostalgia line for the true oldsters in this thread (I don't think the OP qualifies) do you remember when you used to take the vacuum tubes out of your radio or TV, run down to the drug store, and test them one by one in a special machine to see which one was burnt out? Or, looking at your feet in a pair of shoes with an X-ray machine at the shoe store to see how they fit?

I miss using true inner tubes for floating in a lake or river. The things made just for floating in water just don't do it for me.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wouldn’t you think that with our cars being as nice as they are and the stereo systems they now have that drive in theaters would make a comeback?

Newer Drive-In’s I’ve been to use FM radio to broadcast the movie audio on a certain frequency directly to your car. No window speaker required.

The reason I named Drive-In’s as being obsolete is because they don’t seem to be around anymore. If there is one near you, it’s a holdover from the old days, not a new one. In the county I grew up in, there were about six Drive-Ins scattered around, including one twin screen setup, where the direction you pointed your car determined which movie you’d be able to see. They’re all gone now.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So many things could be named here ...

Somewhat akin to the near disappearance of drive-in-theaters, as of a year ago there was only one Blockbuster video store left in the continental US. (Surprising. Talk about a momentary flash.)

On the nostalgia line for the true oldsters in this thread (I don't think the OP qualifies) do you remember when you used to take the vacuum tubes out of your radio or TV, run down to the drug store, and test them one by one in a special machine to see which one was burnt out? Or, looking at your feet in a pair of shoes with an X-ray machine at the shoe store to see how they fit?

I miss using true inner tubes for floating in a lake or river. The things made just for floating in water just don't do it for me.

Roger, I agree, there are so many things that can be named. :)

I'd heard about Blockbuster. But to be fair, when was the last time you needed to rent a video? VCRs are done, DVDs are easily downloaded. I'm surprised the one Blockbuster is still around. I own hundreds of movies on DVD that I never even open - just about everything I have is now digitally converted and stored on my home network, so I can launch anything I want to see with a few clicks of the remote. It's convenient, but shows the technology has greatly changed from the early days.

I appreciate you thinking I'm too young to remember vacuum tube checkers - but I do. We had an ancient Zenith TV when I was a kid that had power issues. The picture would slowly fade to black after about ten minutes, and we had to turn off the set, and let it cool down. Then we'd turn it on and start the process all over again. I only saw about a third of every TV show we tried to watch. I remember going with my Dad to the hardware store to test one tube after another, but it never seemed to help. It was a banner day at home when that old TV was finally replaced. Color TV had come along, and I got to watch Batman in color. I knew I'd died and gone to comic book TV watcher heaven! :)

I don't remember ever doing the "X-ray your shoes" thing. That had to have been before my time. But I certainly do remember the days of my Mom using a Brannock Device* at the shoe store to measure my foot size. (Do they even use those anymore?) She'd worked in a shoe store before I was born, and she was expert at picking the right sizes for us. Mom always insisted we wear clean socks to the shoe store so the shoe salesman wouldn't have to smell our dirty feet. We kids always thought she was crazy - our feet didn't stink. Much. :D

I remember changing many a flat tire on my Schwinn bike. I always had a patch kit, and learned to be pretty good at it. Had to go to the gas station down the street to use their dunk tank to check the tube for leaks, and their tire pump to inflate it after fixing the hole. We'd ask if they had any car tire inner tubes so we'd have fun out at the lake. I never figured out where those inner tubes went from one summer to the next. But it seemed we never had enough. Maybe my Mom used them to fix the flats on her old '59 Buick.

I remember root beer flavored popsicles. My favorite when I was about 10. They sold at the market for 8 cents each. If I was careful with my money, I could manage to buy three with my 25 cents per week allowance.

We'd scrounge the neighborhood trash cans so we could turn in empty pop bottles for the 4 cent refund, and beer bottles for the 2 cent refund. A filled wagon load would yield enough to load our pockets with penny candy, including those wax lips and coke-bottle shaped things with the nasty colored liquid inside @sdbrier mentioned above. ;)

Dave

brannockdevice.jpg

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
reel-to-reel Hi-Fi audio tapes and players and their subsequent portable versions:

I had a roommate in San Diego in 1980 who was a major audiophile. He had all sorts of crazy-expensive audio gear, including his most prized possession: Quadraphonic reel to reel tapes. I was amazed when he described that there were four separate channels of recorded music, not the measly two channels on my cassette tapes. And since it was quarter-inch wide tape, each of those four channels had enough room to record every single note. Combining them together made for a magical musical experience. The first time he played a quad version of the 1812 Overture and cranked the volume, it shook the windows of our apartment, especially during the cannon fire sequence. "Shot from guns," indeed - that recording used real cannons. Neighborhood dogs barked, and the lady next door pounded on the wall. Ah yes, those were the days. :D

Dave

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score

Daylight savings time killed off our last drive ins. I miss them.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...I don't remember ever doing the "X-ray your shoes" thing. That had to have been before my time. But I certainly do remember the days of my Mom using a Brannock Device* at the shoe store to measure my foot size. (Do they even use those anymore?) She'd worked in a shoe store before I was born, and she was expert at picking the right sizes for us.... :D
You are bringing back some more recent memories. I was part of a team at a trivial contest several years ago and one of the questions was "What is the Brannock Device used to measure?" I didn't have a clue, but someone from my team got it right.

My wife has very hard feet to fit so we go to a shoe store that still has a sales staff that actually knows feet. (That in itself could have been a response to your original post. Question: What used to be common that isn't around anymore? Answer: a shoe store sale staff that knows feet and how to fit shoes.) After the trivial contest, I picked up one of the measuring devices that was laying around in the store and sure enough, "Brannock Device" is exactly what is on the label.

As far as the X-ray devices, here is a link to a story which mentions them and how they were, for a while, a competing product to Brannock devices. When I was exposed (and that is the correct word given how they worked) to one of these machines, it was in the '50's not the '40's. Fairly recently I was somewhere (perhaps at the shoe store I mentioned) where they had one of the old X-ray machines on display (but disabled). Brought back the memories (much like this thread).

Best,
Roger

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I don't remember ever doing the "X-ray your shoes" thing. That had to have been before my time. But I certainly do remember the days of my Mom using a Brannock Device* at the shoe store to measure my foot size. (Do they even use those anymore?)

View attachment 12739

There are some full service shoe stores near me that still have the Bannock devices to measure feet, but most places these days just have the inventory on the floor for you to try on until you find the right fit.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Newer Drive-In’s I’ve been to use FM radio to broadcast the movie audio on a certain frequency directly to your car. No window speaker required.

The reason I named Drive-In’s as being obsolete is because they don’t seem to be around anymore. If there is one near you, it’s a holdover from the old days, not a new one. In the county I grew up in, there were about six Drive-Ins scattered around, including one twin screen setup, where the direction you pointed your car determined which movie you’d be able to see. They’re all gone now.

Dave

We have one here near where I live.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I have lived my entire life in two separate areas----and they BOTH have Drive Ins

Bangor, Maine, and Wellfleet, MA.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rec"d a notice card in the mail on 7/6/19 that Money Magazine will no longer be published.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I miss tinsel. I forgot about that.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
They have those up in Vermont. I have bought them there. If we are talking about the same thing....
What I meant was the old Crown Pilot crackers. Those were discontinued. The Vermont Common Cracker is a substitute. I stocked up the last time I was at the Vermont Country Store. Sometimes Hanley's has them, but they didn't this year.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I still have one and use it instead of GPS. I still see them sold in stores.
Give me a DeLorme Gazetteer any day over GPS. :) I just received mine for New York in preparation for our trip to Kaatskill Mountain Club in a couple of weeks!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Daylight savings time killed off our last drive ins. I miss them.
Maybe contributed, but here (we had 2 until 2016) it was the switch to digital. It would have cost $60,000 each to upgrade the projection equipment from 35mm film. That was that. The owners found that the dirt under them was worth more as mini storage than as a drive-in.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
We still have a Drive In (two screens even) where I live.

The next thing to go? Car keys. My wife's new car has just the fab. You can start it, unlock the doors and everything with the fab in your pocket. This isn't a luxury vehicle, it's a Chevy Malibu RS (not even an LT). The Chevy Suburban we just rented was the same way.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Sacramento still has a drive in theater. In Washington the problem was too rainy in winter and light til late in summer.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Do they still sell flour sifters?