• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Right. I don’t understand people who don’t see what is happening and want to move to coastal areas, particularly in the South. More storms, more frequent and higher flooding, higher insurance rates, record setting heat, bacteria in warmer waters, and more sharks. To me this is fast becoming the wrong place to invest your money and to live. While it may not be unbearable to live here in my few remaining years, the value of properties on water is already diminishing and I wouldn’t want to leave them to our daughter or granddaughter. If it was up to me, I’d already be heading to higher ground inland and further north.

Psssssst, Glynda - they're called mountains! :D:D:D

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't think you are nuts retiring to a more northern state, especially with a small footprint and exterior maintenance being done by the HOA. I think you have chosen well for yourself.

While on Cape Cod, we discussed moving there. Even looked at some condos being built. While coastal, there is some fairly high land on the Cape and we've been told that it's 10 degrees warmer there than on the mainland in the Winter and 10 degrees cooler in the Summer. However, we have never been there during high tourist season or Winter. I have never learned to drive on snow. And even walking on snow or ice would be taking a risk at our age. Oh, and getting to a major hospital in time. So that area is on the back burner too.

Like you, I don't like the desert. I'm not enamored with the West. Oh, and we do have seasons, including Fall, in SC.

If I could talk hubby into it, we would most likely move over to a condo in Greenville, SC, or up to Charlottesville, VA.

Actually- no exterior maintenance- just the lawn mowing, but- that's ok. The house is so small and hubby likes to tinker about with house projects. He is thrilled with having a basement AND a garage though it is a one car. And having the small driveway to clear snow is a piece of cake compared to the monster one we have now. The guys who plow the road will also plow the driveway for an annual fee if we ever need to go that route.But right now we have a brand new snowblower that is coming with us.

I heard Greenville, SC is really nice. Never been to SC. We always seem to head north or west for vacations.

And I have a friend who moved from here to Virginia a few years ago and she loves it. We have been to Wlliamsburg and Virginia Beach only and weren't too crazy about it, especially the food, which my friend does miss being from NY. We had a nice vacation there, though. Nightmare traffic from NY to get there is the main thing I remember (not to mention burning out our brakes in the bumper to bumper traffic)and vowed never to go again. LOL!

Maybe you will have Panina's luck and be able to convince your hubby to relocate!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Psssssst, Glynda - they're called mountains! :D:D:D

I just can't say that word relative to my moving. I don't like being in the mountains. I really don't like driving in them. I like looking at them from a valley.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Actually- no exterior maintenance- just the lawn mowing, but- that's ok. The house is so small and hubby likes to tinker about with house projects. He is thrilled with having a basement AND a garage though it is a one car. And having the small driveway to clear snow is a piece of cake compared to the monster one we have now. The guys who plow the road will also plow the driveway for an annual fee if we ever need to go that route.But right now we have a brand new snowblower that is coming with us.

I heard Greenville, SC is really nice. Never been to SC. We always seem to head north or west for vacations.

And I have a friend who moved from here to Virginia a few years ago and she loves it. We have been to Wlliamsburg and Virginia Beach only and weren't too crazy about it, especially the food, which my friend does miss being from NY. We had a nice vacation there, though. Nightmare traffic from NY to get there is the main thing I remember (not to mention burning out our brakes in the bumper to bumper traffic)and vowed never to go again. LOL!

Maybe you will have Panina's luck and be able to convince your hubby to relocate!

Oh, OK. I thought the HOA took care of the outside. Still, it won't be as much as you had.

Not a fan of Eastern VA either. The drive through the Shenandoah Valley on I-81 much prettier and not as hectic as I-95.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hey- that is great news! Progress!
We went out today to visit the community that looked perfect on paper. My other half was on board. It was about 13 minutes south of where we live now.

Went to the visitor center and told the salesmen our three non negotiables were 3 car garage, basement and trees in the backyard. He told us not no problems, we have lots.

Proceeded to listen to his presentation, spend quite a bit of time in models and then asked him where the lots are that are available. Bottom line, nothing was available that met what he told me he had.

Tried to gear us toward ready homes that didn’t meet two of the three of what we wanted. Was also told the next 200 homesites will not have basements. Not sure I believed that. Supposedly within the month new homesites will be available where we can build a 3 car garage, with a second level. Couldn’t believe it but my other half would consider that. He rather give up the basement then a 3 car garage.

I sold for a major builder for years. Rule 1 for me , tell the customer the truth upfront. I can’t believe he wasted my time. Truthfully, I didn’t love the community enough to have to compromise. The search goes on. I am hoping in time my other half will compromise for a two car oversized garage in a del webb community. He agreed to go look at the one close to us.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are no longer as enameled living in a condo with a couple of recent events. We have one of the best views in the entire community of what will be 7000 homes, now with 3000+ homes built. Despite our high HOAs, moving to another single family home community will cost us another $8K per year if it has a pool or $5K if it does not have a pool. If (saving) money is the only consideration then we won't move.

If we find a home which we love, the challenge will be how should we pay for a second home while we wait for our home to be sold. Should we try to time the market?

We are thinking that we should sell some of our investments and keep the cash, in say late 2020, thinking that if there is a change in our presidency that stock market and real estate will be depressed for several years. We wait for 2022-23 to buy our next home. Sell our current home then or even later when the real estate market recovers some and put the money back into our investment account.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are no longer as enameled living in a condo with a couple of recent events. We have one of the best views in the entire community of what will be 7000 homes, now with 3000+ homes built. Despite our high HOAs, moving to another single family home community will cost us another $8K per year if it has a pool or $5K if it does not have a pool. If (saving) money is the only consideration then we won't move.

If we find a home which we love, the challenge will be how should we pay for a second home while we wait for our home to be sold. Should we try to time the market?

We are thinking that we should sell some of our investments and keep the cash, in say late 2020, thinking that if there is a change in our presidency that stock market and real estate will be depressed for several years. We wait for 2022-23 to buy our next home. Sell our current home then or even later when the real estate market recovers some and put the money back into our investment account.
It is hard to find exactly what works best for us. Wheras I love my home and area, the community lacks what I desire. We too have one of the best locations in our community. One thing I know for sure, I will stay where I am until I find what is right. For all I know this could end up being our forever home.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We went out today to visit the community that looked perfect on paper. My other half was on board. It was about 13 minutes south of where we live now.

Went to the visitor center and told the salesmen our three non negotiables were 3 car garage, basement and trees in the backyard. He told us not no problems, we have lots.

Proceeded to listen to his presentation, spend quite a bit of time in models and then asked him where the lots are that are available. Bottom line, nothing was available that met what he told me he had.

Tried to gear us toward ready homes that didn’t meet two of the three of what we wanted. Was also told the next 200 homesites will not have basements. Not sure I believed that. Supposedly within the month new homesites will be available where we can build a 3 car garage, with a second level. Couldn’t believe it but my other half would consider that. He rather give up the basement then a 3 car garage.

I sold for a major builder for years. Rule 1 for me , tell the customer the truth upfront. I can’t believe he wasted my time. Truthfully, I didn’t love the community enough to have to compromise. The search goes on. I am hoping in time my other half will compromise for a two car oversized garage in a del webb community. He agreed to go look at the one close to us.

Yes- really hard to trust anything a selling agent tells you. Even with our lot- I still am suspicious about the original lot we wanted that they suddenly claimed our ranch would not fit on, therefore bumping us 2 lots down. Not to mention the unrealistic timeline for the house to be built. Keeping fingers crossed.

We had must haves, also. Garage OR basement; AC; one level; 2 bathrooms. Oil or gas heat- propane ok, though not preferred. Updated kitchen and bathrooms. Fireplace. Lakes Region preferred, but open to anywhere in NH. Community setting- like a 55+. Pool preferred also. $250,000- $350,000- preferably under $300,000. Close to medical facilities and stores and banks and activities. Under 2000 square feet.

Not easy. But we got most all of them. House smaller than we would have liked at 1100 square feet. And no fireplace, but at least the clubhouse has one. Bathrooms- ugh- real small and plain. Hope we can afford to make the kitchen nicer than the builder grade.

I think you are on your way to getting your Del Web. Your husband now has opened up to the idea of moving. Maybe he will settle for a 2 car garage and a basement. 3 car garages are hard to get- especially in a 55+ I would think.

Personally I don’t like basements. There’s always water issues. Who needs to deal with that as we get older? Of course, the realtor says they never have water issues. Yeah- right.

Love living on a slab, but since the new home only has a one car garage, the basement is essential for my husband.

Anyway- good luck! You will persevere!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Very good point about the stock market and change of presidency, and the real estate depreciation.

There are so many unknowns. Of course, when real estate markets recover, you may get more for your current home but then your new home could cost even more.

This tiny home we are buying- we will be lucky to net enough from the sale of our current home after expenses-with everything it has and all the land, etc.- to pay for it after the upgrades and so on. You can not compare what we have now to what we are getting. It’s not only downsizing, it’s a downgrade- but that’s the way the market is now in the 2 areas.

We are concerned also about investments going down. If this house doesn’t sell before we close on the new one we have to deplete our brokerage account and emergency cash account to buy it- and we were supposed to live off the brokerage account starting in January when hubby retires.

Therefore, will be consulting our financial advisor soon as to whether to cash out now - at least before October-or wait. Even if our house goes to contract- you don’t know until the last minute if the sale will close.

Then we have the issue of paying moving costs twice and high rent in the meantime.....sigh...

Meanwhile, a showing for our house for this morning and tomorrow have just been cancelled. Tired of the constant cleaning. All for nothing. We have had like 5 cancellations! No showings in 3 weeks!

And after the inspection, the potential buyers have asked us to provide answers to some questions, which we did. We also had our septic tank pumped yesterday to alleviate any concerns with that. Here I was at 63 moving stones around the septic lid in 90 degree heat and humidity. The poor guys were dripping! Then had to come in to clean the house for the showing today.

Still selling and disposing of things. Sold the 16 year old freezer yesterday. Tomorrow hopefully hubby’s desk and my curio go, but people are no shows sometimes.

I am still waiting for the retirement fun to begin! Have a long way to go I guess!

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes- really hard to trust anything a selling agent tells you. Even with our lot- I still am suspicious about the original lot we wanted that they suddenly claimed our ranch would not fit on, therefore bumping us 2 lots down. Not to mention the unrealistic timeline for the house to be built. Keeping fingers crossed.

We had must haves, also. Garage OR basement; AC; one level; 2 bathrooms. Oil or gas heat- propane ok, though not preferred. Updated kitchen and bathrooms. Fireplace. Lakes Region preferred, but open to anywhere in NH. Community setting- like a 55+. Pool preferred also. $250,000- $350,000- preferably under $300,000. Close to medical facilities and stores and banks and activities. Under 2000 square feet.

Not easy. But we got most all of them. House smaller than we would have liked at 1100 square feet. And no fireplace, but at least the clubhouse has one. Bathrooms- ugh- real small and plain. Hope we can afford to make the kitchen nicer than the builder grade.

I think you are on your way to getting your Del Web. Your husband now has opened up to the idea of moving. Maybe he will settle for a 2 car garage and a basement. 3 car garages are hard to get- especially in a 55+ I would think.

Personally I don’t like basements. There’s always water issues. Who needs to deal with that as we get older? Of course, the realtor says they never have water issues. Yeah- right.

Love living on a slab, but since the new home only has a one car garage, the basement is essential for my husband.

Anyway- good luck! You will persevere!
Both basements and 3 car garages are problems finding in 55+ by me. The del webb by me might have a tandem garage by the plans but until I go I won’t know if a lot is available. Everything is selling so fast around here, even junk.

I actually like the idea of the basement, just in case of a tornado. Very rare here but a 4 did hit here in the late 80’s, just my craziness as I do believe when it is my time nothing will help. My other half has given up the hopes of a basement as long as he has an office, a media room with the correct configuration for his sound system and of course the 3 car garage.

Never thought I would even get him to consider moving but after I told him the truth why, he has.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very good point about the stock market and change of presidency, and the real estate depreciation.

There are so many unknowns. Of course, when real estate markets recover, you may get more for your current home but then your new home could cost even more.

This tiny home we are buying- we will be lucky to net enough from the sale of our current home after expenses-with everything it has and all the land, etc.- to pay for it after the upgrades and so on. You can not compare what we have now to what we are getting. It’s not only downsizing, it’s a downgrade- but that’s the way the market is now in the 2 areas.

We are concerned also about investments going down. If this house doesn’t sell before we close on the new one we have to deplete our brokerage account and emergency cash account to buy it- and we were supposed to live off the brokerage account starting in January when hubby retires.

Therefore, will be consulting our financial advisor soon as to whether to cash out now - at least before October-or wait. Even if our house goes to contract- you don’t know until the last minute if the sale will close.

Then we have the issue of paying moving costs twice and high rent in the meantime.....sigh...

Meanwhile, a showing for our house for this morning and tomorrow have just been cancelled. Tired of the constant cleaning. All for nothing. We have had like 5 cancellations! No showings in 3 weeks!

And after the inspection, the potential buyers have asked us to provide answers to some questions, which we did. We also had our septic tank pumped yesterday to alleviate any concerns with that. Here I was at 63 moving stones around the septic lid in 90 degree heat and humidity. The poor guys were dripping! Then had to come in to clean the house for the showing today.

Still selling and disposing of things. Sold the 16 year old freezer yesterday. Tomorrow hopefully hubby’s desk and my curio go, but people are no shows sometimes.

I am still waiting for the retirement fun to begin! Have a long way to go I guess!
Moving is not fun. Once you move in and get settled the peace within you will occur and you will have the option to have fun.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maryanne, we had a twenty year old freezer in our basement. Our fervent prayer was someone young would buy it. Lo and behold, a man in his late eighties comes to buy it. We also had a basement sofa bed, but luckily some young guys just out of school took that.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just can't say that word relative to my moving. I don't like being in the mountains. I really don't like driving in them. I like looking at them from a valley.

I feel very safe in mountains. Cradled. Water- as much as I love looking out on it and love being in it- is more threatening to me.

Funny- because I am afraid of heights. I definitely don’t like driving on curving roads on the edge of a cliff.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Maryanne, we had a twenty yrpear old freezer in our basement. Our fervent prayer was someone young would buy it. Lo and behold, a man in his late eighties comes to buy it. We also had a basement sofa bed, but luckily some young guys just out of school took that.

Lol! Wow! Ha! Ha! A man drove from an hour and a half away in upstate NY and paid $100 for the freezer!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Since ‘‘tis thread is about moving, I will add my 2 cents.
We moved from Massachusetts to Florida 32 years ago. Major upheaval but we were young and a good opportunity for us as a family. Getting close to DH retirement and no plans to move again. However, very close friends are thinking of moving but not committed to it yet. They want to follow Daughter and family who are contemplating a move. Other friends are talking about moving to be closer to grandkids too.
We live in a nice community and our daughter and son in law live close by and have no thought of moving. Son is single and lives in FT Lauderdale area. We visit often and he does to us too.
Siblings all live in New England we visit often. Planning to travel more but always feel good to come home to central Florida.
I wish all of you well in your moves, but we will stay put and visit other places.
Silentg

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

Nice political comment! why would you think this anyway? Stock market and real estate has been on an upward trend for the past 10 years over two different presidents.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When we built our first home, I asked an architect in our building for his advice. He said “What are you going to do when there is a mistake?”
One of my favorite books is House by Tracy Kidder. It's nonfiction & tells the story of a house being built from the viewpoints of the architect, the owners and the builders. A great 3-dimensional perspective of the process.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One of my favorite books is House by Tracy Kidder. It's nonfiction & tells the story of a house being built from the viewpoints of the architect, the owners and the builders. A great 3-dimensional perspective of the process.

I had that book! I read it while our current home was being built and always had it proudly displyed on my book shelf after we moved in.

In fact, when cleaning out my book collection last week I reluctantly put it in the pile with the other books to donate to our local library.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice political comment! why would you think this anyway?

Oh, Thank you! ;) It is nothing political about my statement. With a change of presidency, there is likely reversal of tax cuts and hence the market will head in reverse. Corporations will have less money to create jobs etc etc.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, Thank you! ;) It is nothing political about my statement. With a change of presidency, there is likely reversal of tax cuts and hence the market will head in reverse. Corporations will have less money to create jobs etc etc.

The status quo does not seem promising to the markets either.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Maryanne, we had a twenty yrpear old freezer in our basement. Our fervent prayer was someone young would buy it. Lo and behold, a man in his late eighties comes to buy it. We also had a basement sofa bed, but luckily some young guys just out of school took that.

Somewhere there is a wife saying "why the heck did you bring that home?!"

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
A downturn is more likely to happen in the next year or two.;)

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you have any real data to support that. The two biggest tax cuts lately were under Bush & Trump. The market did not respond well after the Bush tax cuts and to be honest the market has not done all that well since the Trump ones. I do not think that tax cuts have more than a small effect on the market. Money used for tax cuts has to come from somewhere. Either government spending has to decrease or debt go up. Both would be bad for the economy and the stock market. Also the supply of debt has to increase interest rates which do have a big effect on the markets. There are times when stimulus can help, but not when the economy is growing.

PS your rebuttal of being political is also very political.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have any real data to support that. The two biggest tax cuts lately were under Bush & Trump. The market did not respond well after the Bush tax cuts and to be honest the market has not done all that well since the Trump ones. I do not think that tax cuts have more than a small effect on the market. Money used for tax cuts has to come from somewhere. Either government spending has to decrease or debt go up. Both would be bad for the economy and the stock market. Also the supply of debt has to increase interest rates which do have a big effect on the markets. There are times when stimulus can help, but not when the economy is growing.

PS your rebuttal of being political is also very political.

I can tell you that my Financial Advisor and his firm, which is one of the largest wealth management companies in the US echoes the sentiments. Stock market depends on corporation earnings. It is not political, just merely financial.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that my Financial Advisor and his firm, which is one of the largest wealth management companies in the US echoes the sentiments. Stock market depends on corporation earnings. It is not political, just merely financial.

How could anyone take the comment that we will be in trouble if the other party takes over as political. :rolleyes: You are correct in your statement, however all of your other statements before that are opinion based on your politics and do not necessarily lead to your conclusion. If that great management wealth company has been out of the market when a D has been in office. Fire them. They have missed two great bull markets and participated in the worst bear market of my lifetime.