• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yikes! Did I make a mistake booking Vistana Resort over Vistana Villages?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I own at villages, been once. It was nice typical timeshare. I also have been to resorts once, the room they gave me was nice. The only problem was when I walked in, the room was occupied. By occupied I mean peoples stuff was everywhere. It looked like mid vacation. Luckily I’m an honest person and walked out but still kind of creepy knowing someone could be assigned your room when you’re at the parks all day. That really annoyed me.

That happened to me once, too - at a Marriott (I believe it was the Renaissance) in Las Vegas. We checked in and got our key, and when we unlocked the door there were clothes and luggage and stuff in the room. It was obviously occupied but luckily no one was in the room at the time. We got another room but I didn't feel like my belongings were safe after that if Marriott could give out my key to strangers. Luckily we only stayed there one night until we could check into Grand Chateau.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That happened to me once, too - at a Marriott (I believe it was the Renaissance) in Las Vegas. We checked in and got our key, and when we unlocked the door there were clothes and luggage and stuff in the room. It was obviously occupied but luckily no one was in the room at the time. We got another room but I didn't feel like my belongings were safe after that if Marriott could give out my key to strangers. Luckily we only stayed there one night until we could check into Grand Chateau.
I've had it happen several times at hotels and timeshares and both ways. Where we were given keys and the room was occupied and when others were given keys to our room when we were entrenched in the villa. I can recall at least 2 instances of each, maybe 3 where we were given an occupied room. Interestingly the times I can think where we were given such a room was mostly hotels, but once with a timeshare. The ones where we were in the room already and the reverse happened was all timesavers, DVC and Legend's edge. At LE we were asleep and heard the door crash against the safety lock. It took me a minute to figure out someone was trying to get in the room. At that point I wasn't sure what had happened and feared the worse but fortunately it was just a mistaken unit assignment.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Yikes! We're leaving Sunday. I certainly hope that there is a better system setup to ensure our safety. This is the first time I've ever read about someone else being assigned to a unit that is occupied. What a mistake. Thanks for the update.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Update: We returned from the Vistana on Sunday. Let me just say that I would only stay there again if the units were all upgraded. We had problems upon walking in the door. There was an odor in the unit that lasted during the entire week. I burned incense and heated Fabuluso on the stove everyday. Engineering even put an air ozone machine in the unit for 2 hours, which only lasted for a few hours. The unit was not cleaned properly. There was dust on the phone. The air vent was black and I had maintenance change the filter and clean the vents. Housekeeping stood on a chair to clean the lighting fixtures over the dining room table because of the dust that had accumulated over some time. The two living room chairs had to be scrubbed by engineering because of stains. I spoke with 3 managers during the week regarding my complaints. They gave me $100 to use on the property, which was better than nothing. I didn't want to be changed to another unit because my family was next door and the building wasn't far from the guard gate. There were some of the same problems in their unit. We stayed in the Lakes section on the top floor units, 1990 and 1991. The appliances were about 20 years old. I only booked at this resort to obtain 7 nights in my Marriott rewards account. Despite the numerous complaints during this stay with the units, the amenities at the resort were good. We tried to make the best of a bad situation, but the resort needs to improve the units to now be under Marriott.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. If they were using an air machine and scrubbing chairs, then obviously there were issues.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I forgot to add that the resort staff was excellent. Everyone I encountered tried their best to remedy the situation. I also attended the promotion, which was to purchase a vacation package. ( a waste) The young salesman learned quite a bit of information from me about time sharing. I took up most of his time. lol

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Update: We returned from the Vistana on Sunday. Let me just say that I would only stay there again if the units were all upgraded. We had problems upon walking in the door. There was an odor in the unit that lasted during the entire week. I burned incense and heated Fabuluso on the stove everyday. Engineering even put an air ozone machine in the unit for 2 hours, which only lasted for a few hours. The unit was not cleaned properly. There was dust on the phone. The air vent was black and I had maintenance change the filter and clean the vents. Housekeeping stood on a chair to clean the lighting fixtures over the dining room table because of the dust that had accumulated over some time. The two living room chairs had to be scrubbed by engineering because of stains. I spoke with 3 managers during the week regarding my complaints. They gave me $100 to use on the property, which was better than nothing. I didn't want to be changed to another unit because my family was next door and the building wasn't far from the guard gate. There were some of the same problems in their unit. We stayed in the Lakes section on the top floor units, 1990 and 1991. The appliances were about 20 years old. I only booked at this resort to obtain 7 nights in my Marriott rewards account. Despite the numerous complaints during this stay with the units, the amenities at the resort were good. We tried to make the best of a bad situation, but the resort needs to improve the units to now be under Marriott.
Agreed but Marriott isn’t that great either. I’m in a Marriott hotel now and it’s a hell hole.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
And, you're right. I have found most of the resorts to be fine, but the hotels might leave a lot to be desired. I've had numerous issues this year with the hotel stays, including a brand new Springhill Suites in NC. The room was new, but the water had to be run at least 25 minutes to get hot every time we used it. I wasted so much water. The plumber was due for repairs after the Memorial Day holiday. We had a horrible stay at a Residence Inn in GA. The resort had been renovated, but the tubs, sinks and toilets were not. There were ugly stains in them. I've racked up reward points due to so many complaints with stays.

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Agreed but Marriott isn’t that great either. I’m in a Marriott hotel now and it’s a hell hole.

You can stay at any hotel or brand and there can be issues.I have been to the Waldorf Astoria, Hyatt and Westins that I can think of off of the top of my head and there have been maintenance issues here and there. That’s just will happen over time at any resort.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for the updates. I was really taken aback by the units we had at the Vistana. Dated, isn't even the word for the Lakes top floor. I had all kinds of maintenance issues in the units. I was even concerned about the air quality since the air filters were black and so were the vents until I had the engineers clean them.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We prefer Cascades Section when staying at the Vistana Resort. I always call ahead and ask that they put a request on my reservation for the Cascade section . We always ask for an upper floor too.. All of the buildings in Cascades have elevators. The units are clean and updated. We love it there and try to trade in every year. This section is close to the main pool, the Marketplace, the restaurant (I believe it's called Silks). If I'm not mistaken you can walk to Vistana Villages and have privileges at their pools and restaurant as well.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We prefer Cascades Section when staying at the Vistana Resort. I always call ahead and ask that they put a request on my reservation for the Cascade section . If I'm not mistaken you can walk to Vistana Villages and have privileges at their pools and restaurant as well.

It would be around a 3 mile walk from SVR to SVV would it not? :ponder:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It would be around a 3 mile walk from SVR to SVV would it not? :ponder:
Yeah, it certainly wouldn't be walkable and I am not aware of reciprocal use of facilities. If there were, I would expect there would be some kind of shuttle.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geez...…..I thought they were connected by about a mile walk. Sorry to misinform you. :bawl: