• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Changing check in date in DVC

Drtiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
Hi, I'm a newcomer to RCI and I got my first SSR exchange on January 12, 2020, I'm very happy ... But the date I got is 2 days sooner than I'd like, can I change my entry date at Disney? in the RCI system they just let me change to before the date and not after. Question of novice, how do I put my reservation in mydisneyexperience, I tried to use the reservation code but did not validate it on the disney website ... thanks

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newcomer to RCI and I got my first SSR exchange on January 12, 2020, I'm very happy ... But the date I got is 2 days sooner than I'd like, can I change my entry date at Disney? in the RCI system they just let me change to before the date and not after. Question of novice, how do I put my reservation in mydisneyexperience, I tried to use the reservation code but did not validate it on the disney website ... thanks
Only if you can retrade with RCI. Unless you do it within 24 hrs they normally charge you a new exchange fee. You can't make the change with DVC directly.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For future reference and for others, with RCI you can specify checkin day as part of your ongoing search. Not applicable to DVC but for II, you can do the same but must call. With II you can purchase an option to retrace for free up to 3 times.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
...how do I put my reservation in mydisneyexperience, I tried to use the reservation code but did not validate it on the disney website ... thanks
Call DVC Member Services at the phone number listed on your exchange confirmation. Tell them that you have a confirmed RCI Exchange and ask for the Disney reservation number. It may not be in their system immediately but it will soon. That's the number you'll enter into the My Disney Experience app. IIRC, you'll also need to link park passes in order to make your early Fastpasses as well. Enjoy!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
as others have said, you cannot change the check-in date. If you keep the exchange, call and let DVC know you'll be checking in 2 days late. You can add other DVC days by paying cash thru DVC or renting points. You might be able to keep the same room (but possibly not). We have taken an RCI-DVC exchange and ditched a day on the front or back end and just gotten a hotel for the other days.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In RCI Weeks, Saratoga Springs has check in dates of Fri/Sat/Sun. Jan 12 is a Sunday. There is no week that begins with check-in for Jan 14, 2020. As mentioned above, you may let DVC know that you'll be arriving two days later than the check-in date of Jan 12, but you must still check out of that unit on Jan 19.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

The RCI info page about Saratoga Springs, there is a number to call, which I believe is DVC member services. They will be able to help you get everyone in your party into MDE so you can book fast passes. Make sure to get everyone in your party into MDE.

As to your reservation, the week you booked is the week you have. You can show up late but they won't let you check out two days late.

I have checked in two days after my reservation DVC started. I did call to make a note in my reservation about it. I'm sure that happens all the time.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Jan 8-12 is Marathon weekend, plus the end of when the college kids (and many other lower level schools) go back after Christmas break. In general your chances of moving to an earlier date are very slim. If you decide you want to pay for a room add-on I'd do it sooner rather than waiting....most of the resorts will be at full capacity.

Drtiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
Jan 8-12 is Marathon weekend, plus the end of when the college kids (and many other lower level schools) go back after Christmas break. In general your chances of moving to an earlier date are very slim. If you decide you want to pay for a room add-on I'd do it sooner rather than waiting....most of the resorts will be at full capacity.
Thanks

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm DVC so my reservations typically just show up in MDE. I just had this happen in January at AKV. I simply called and said that we wouldn't be arriving on time (on a Disney ship.) In the past I ended up just using my DVC points to pick up a matching 1 bedroom night or two (if you need to extend it.) SSR should be pretty easy to find someone to rent points a bit cheaper than most. And 1 bedrooms are the last thing to go.

Are you coming in through the Wyndham portal or an RCI points account? I have both but I've never used the Wyndham path. I did purchase the Platinum upgrade with my points account. Now that one does allow you to request upgrades or slide dates if available. But if you are booked at SSR, I think that the only option would then be to pick up a 2 bedroom unit as the upgrade.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I did purchase the Platinum upgrade with my points account. Now that one does allow you to request upgrades or slide dates if available. But if you are booked at SSR, I think that the only option would then be to pick up a 2 bedroom unit as the upgrade.
FWIW, extra data points: I have two exchanges into SSR for this summer, both booked through RCI Weeks Platinum. The upgrade options offered to me included:
  • Larger unit at SSR
  • 1BR or larger at each of the other WDW DVC locations currently offered through RCI
I was invited to select up to 6 upgrade options.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, extra data points: I have two exchanges into SSR for this summer, both booked through RCI Weeks Platinum. The upgrade options offered to me included:
  • Larger unit at SSR
  • 1BR or larger at each of the other WDW DVC locations currently offered through RCI

There used to be a box with the days of the week in it. Usually for DVC you can only check Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
There used to be a box with the days of the week in it. Usually for DVC you can only check Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Ah, there may also have been an option to shift the arrival date. As I'm tied to air travel, I would have ignored that option not wanting to create such a big ripple in my travel agenda w/in 2 weeks of travel.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, there may also have been an option to shift the arrival date. As I'm tied to air travel, I would have ignored that option not wanting to create such a big ripple in my travel agenda w/in 2 weeks of travel.
The only way to change the date is to find another trade and retrade, usually for an additional exchange fee.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only way to change the date is to find another trade and retrade, usually for an additional exchange fee.
In the context of RCI Platinum perks, isn't the "automatic upgrade within 2 weeks" a sort of retrade privilege covered by the extra annual fee rather than per-instance fee?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the context of RCI Platinum perks, isn't the "automatic upgrade within 2 weeks" a sort of retrade privilege covered by the extra annual fee rather than per-instance fee?
Yes, if you have that option you may be able to get the change but as you say, the time frame is limited.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
There used to be a box with the days of the week in it. Usually for DVC you can only check Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.[/QUO
  • Larger unit at SSR

I'm curious, what were the upgrade options? Can you see other resorts or a 2BR unit?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@montygz,

The 'upgrade options' list both 'nearby properties' and others w/in the DVC family. You can check the box indicating, "I'd accept a change to this resort" but that doesn't mean there is available inventory. Curiously, I'd just checked my upgrade requests for an upcoming exchange into SSR. Yes, I could have included other dates near my reservation (+/- 2 days or so). The other DVC resorts in my "upgrade" list include: BWV, BCV, BLT, and the Grand Floridian.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In terms of the rci upgrade option platinum (no extra fee if confirmed) or otherwise ( regular fee if upgraded) the chance for a dvc upgrade is almost nil. RCI auto upgrades only checks once a day and generally after the exchange has sat in open inventory all day available for anyone using points or rental as an extra vacation. If you call to say you requested an upgrade and you see inventory that should qualify, they will tell you that they can't process the upgrade, you have to wait until the upgrade process runs the batch process and if still available you will automatically be upgraded. If you want them to do it, it would be a regular cancellation and rebook and would require a new exchange fee and you may lose points from your original exchange.

The upgrade option is only designed to get rid of excess inventory that no one wants, not give you first dibs at late deposits or last minute cancellations of desirable inventory.

Drtiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
As always, the RCI Platinum perks are just a way to get our money, I checked the platinum rci upgrade option, but it seems to be a waste of hope. I really enjoyed all the answers and I will call the dvc to set a date at checkin and miss a day or two

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't be mad at RCI. DVC exchanges are full week only, starting on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Your week starts on a Sunday, there are no weeks that start two days later. Hudshut told you this in a post early in this thread, well before anyone mentioned Platinum. Looks like you have no one but yourself to blame.

Rather than be mad at RCI, instead take a look at what it would cost to own at DVC or rent from an owner to get the five-night stay you wanted, and re-evaluate whether you should be happy or not.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As always, the RCI Platinum perks are just a way to get our money, I checked the platinum rci upgrade option, but it seems to be a waste of hope. I really enjoyed all the answers and I will call the dvc to set a date at checkin and miss a day or two
Get it listed in your Disney account and do online check in and chose your magic bands sent to you. That way it'll be like you're already there and you can just go to your room without any other stops. If you're thinking about a dining Plan option you'll have to do it for 7 days, I wouldn't in that situation.

Don't be mad at RCI. DVC exchanges are full week only, starting on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Your week starts on a Sunday, there are no weeks that start two days later. Hudshut told you this in a post early in this thread, well before anyone mentioned Platinum. Looks like you have no one but yourself to blame.

Rather than be mad at RCI, instead take a look at what it would cost to own at DVC or rent from an owner to get the five-night stay you wanted, and re-evaluate whether you should be happy or not.
I don't think they were upset, just hoping there were options.

Drtiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
Thank you for all the above considerations. But, to make it clear, I was annoyed by the little use I made of the platinum account. The upgrades issue seems like fool's gold because when we need to use it it does not work ... may be only my little experience of working with the system, but the benefits I have tested have not been successful. I think transferring points can be a palpable benefit. but the priority access so far seems to me to pay more to see first ^, since you already bought this benefit ...
As a final consideration I say that I am happy with my RCI account, I see real benefit in it, but I still can not see the benefit of being platinum.