• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions for full time rv'ers or timesharers

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do not maintain a residence how do you handle medical advantange plans when your on Medicare? I'm looking at taking a year just to travel both in and out of the USA. Putting everything in storage. Because of my age (71) my main concern is medical care if needed. My current policy doesn't cover out of the country. And needs a permanent address in the county I live in as policies vary state to state, county to county. I do not have a family member that has an address I can use.
Thank you,
Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest at least buying an annual 'Evacuation and Repatriation' policies. They are not costly. I carried one for a few years acquired through Good Sam, the RV owners club. https://www.goodsamtravelassist.com/ I never had a claim, so can't vouch for their claims or service. They do offer physician referral, and will get you home from anywhere (they say) You don't have to own an RV or join the club. It was fairly inexpensive peace of mind.

Nowadays we just rely on our Medicare Advantage for medical care in the U.S. and buy travel insurance that offers primary medical coverage internationally on a trip-by-trip basis. It's expensive, at about 5% of the trip cost, but have had several instances of life threatening ailments abroad and been treated, and brought home. We buy through www.squaremouth.com/

I have no suggestions for a 'home' address. Sorry.

I hope you can enjoy your year of adventure!

How was your cruise?

Jim

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a permanent address when I signed up for Medicare. I use a P O Box for mailing address. But, I did not choose an Advantage plan because I planned to travel. (I have United Healthcare PPO) I was actually taken by ambulance twice to hospitals in different cities, no problem. I don't believe you can have this flexibility with an Advantage type plan.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a permanent address when I signed up for Medicare. I use a P O Box for mailing address. But, I did not choose an Advantage plan because I planned to travel. (I have United Healthcare PPO) I was actually taken by ambulance twice to hospitals in different cities, no problem. I don't believe you can have this flexibility with an Advantage type plan.
United Healthcare Medicare PPO is still a Medicare Advantage plan. It is PPO as opposed to HMO plan.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm.
It is through AARP.
I receive a statement from Medicare and from my supplemental plan.
My understanding is that a Medicare Advantage Plan becomes the administrator and is not processed through Medicare. I do not believe my plan is an Advantage plan.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm.
It is through AARP.
I receive a statement from Medicare and from my supplemental plan.
My understanding is that a Medicare Advantage Plan becomes the administrator and is not processed through Medicare. I do not believe my plan is an Advantage plan.
If it is a Supplement Plan then it is called a Supplement Plan as opposed to PPO. PPO and HMO are Medicare Advantage plans.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So- I also have a question. If my husband is retiring the end of this year- but we could still be living in NY when he applies for Medicare B, D and a supplement (not Advantage) (you are supposed to apply like 3 months before?)- will he be covered in NY and also in NH when we move?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So- I also have a question. If my husband is retiring the end of this year- but we could still be living in NY when he applies for Medicare B, D and a supplement (not Advantage) (you are supposed to apply like 3 months before?)- will he be covered in NY and also in NH when we move?
Supplement plans are local to the state but allow one to see doctors outside of the state, as with many Advantage PPO plans. Your husband will need to reapply for a supplement plan in NH when you move and terminate the one from NY. Premiums vary with each state.

Reaction score
As a Florida Health Insurance Agent specializing in Medicare, both United Healthcare and Humana HMO Medicare Advantage plans allow travel within the USA. Let's say you're in New York, and that is your residence. But, you're going to vacation in California for a month. You would call customer service, they can basically transfer your HMO "network" to that area, and refer you to a PCP so you can get medical care. Then, when you go back home, let customer service know. I'm not sure in your area, but here in Central Florida, Humana has a PPO that is $0 above Part-B premium, the copays are slightly higher for Humana doctors and higher still for out-of-network doctors with no referrals needed.

Medicare Supplements are state-regulated (MAPDs are federal-regulated). I tell people that the MedSupp's "network" is anyone who accepts Medicare. If you're based in one state, then move (permanently) to another state, you most likely will need to get a plan in your new state, which may be more expensive.

TS

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Supplement plans are local to the state but allow one to see doctors outside of the state, as with many Advantage PPO plans. Your husband will need to reapply for a supplement plan in NH when you move and terminate the one from NY. Premiums vary with each state.

So heaven forbid something happens and you have to go to a hospital before you have a chance to apply for a supplement plan in your new residence state, it would be covered (by the NY supplement)?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do not maintain a residence how do you handle medical advantange plans when your on Medicare? I'm looking at taking a year just to travel both in and out of the USA. . . .. And needs a permanent address in the county I live in as policies vary state to state, county to county. I do not have a family member that has an address I can use.
Thank you,
Suzanne
Suzanne, it occurred to me that perhaps you could sign up with a 'mailbox' company near where you live, then (for a price) they will box up your mail and forward it to you. We did this at good ol' USPS, but there are private businesses that do this too. Perhaps, 'The UPS Store' or something similar.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So heaven forbid something happens and you have to go to a hospital before you have a chance to apply for a supplement plan in your new residence state, it would be covered (by the NY supplement)?
It should not be a problem as long as he has not yet terminated the policy from NY. He needs to ensure that he always has active coverage. But there is nothing more important than having medical coverage and should be done in conjunction with legal change of residency.

shorts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Points
Morritts Tortuga Club (9 wks) Grand Cayman
Many fulltime RVers and boaters that don’t have a permanent resident will select a state for their residency and then use a mailbox service. That becomes their residential address and the company forwards their mail to them whenever requested. Florida, Texas and South Dakota are the states most often used due to their tax advantages.

You would still have the problem of health insurance coverage outside of the USA. You would need to look into purchasing additional coverage to what you already have for your travel period or switch to a Medicare supplement that will cover you outside the US.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I will check into a mail box service.
Suzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest at least buying an annual 'Evacuation and Repatriation' policies. They are not costly. I carried one for a few years acquired through Good Sam, the RV owners club. https://www.goodsamtravelassist.com/ I never had a claim, so can't vouch for their claims or service. They do offer physician referral, and will get you home from anywhere (they say) You don't have to own an RV or join the club. It was fairly inexpensive peace of mind.

Nowadays we just rely on our Medicare Advantage for medical care in the U.S. and buy travel insurance that offers primary medical coverage internationally on a trip-by-trip basis. It's expensive, at about 5% of the trip cost, but have had several instances of life threatening ailments abroad and been treated, and brought home. We buy through www.squaremouth.com/

I have no suggestions for a 'home' address. Sorry.

I hope you can enjoy your year of adventure!

How was your cruise?

Jim
Hi Jim, cruise is in September, really looking forward to it. I will check into squaremouth as my main concern is coverage for trips outside of the US. I have Humana Advantage PPO plan here in Florida. It will cover me anywhere in the US but not outside of the US.
Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim, cruise is in September, really looking forward to it. I will check into squaremouth as my main concern is coverage for trips outside of the US. I have Humana Advantage PPO plan here in Florida. It will cover me anywhere in the US but not outside of the US.
Suzanne
Saw my Cardiologist yesterday. After hearing of my experience in Germany last year, he said, "I want YOUR insurance!" We told him about Squaremouth. That may have been the best bargain I've ever gotten.