• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head in April

Peyton

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch
We’re going to Hilton Head the first week in April. Will it be too cold for swimming in the pools? I know it probably depends a lot on the weather. Thanks

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We’re going to Hilton Head the first week in April. Will it be too cold for swimming in the pools? I know it probably depends a lot on the weather. Thanks

Some resorts (for sure the "Big 3" Marriotts Grande Ocean, Barony, & Surfwatch) have very nice indoor pools.
They also have outdoor heated pools, but the satisfaction level still depends entirely on the outdoor temps and
one's general tolerance. They are definitely swimmable, but the general conditions could be fine to too-cold-to-be-out,
as April weather can be finicky from year to year.

We generally go during the first or second week of April (while renting our home for Masters Golf tournament in Augusta),
and we are quite comfortable with the temps of the last few years. We bike almost daily if sunny, wife plays tennis, and we walk on the beach..... and in general enjoy the island as usual, EXCEPT for swimming in the ocean and in the pools unless it's reasonably warm.
Look up the average temps and decide, but if being in the water is important, make sure you have an outdoor heated pool or indoor pool available.

Last edited:

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
We were there In mid-April 2017. It was 80-82 and sunny every day of out 5 night stay. Used the pool every day and swam in the ocean one day. The following week was cold...

Reactions: jme

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted, it depends, so go prepared to not be disappointed if it doesn't work out. If it's important I'd go for the Marriott's with an indoor pool.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It should be very nice at the pools, but windier and cooler by the ocean. There are hot tubs by the pools too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you are going Easter week it will be crowded.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
We were there In mid-April 2017. It was 80-82 and sunny every day of out 5 night stay. Used the pool every day and swam in the ocean one day. The following week was cold...

It should be very nice at the pools, but windier and cooler by the ocean. There are hot tubs by the pools too.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We rode our bikes to the beach and walked down to check it out. A woman was walking back towards the trail. When we asked her how the water was, she said it was cold... probably in the high 70s. Well we are from New England where in some parts it is not uncommon for the water to be in the 60s and full of swimmers in July and August. So when we went back the next day we were very happy to be in the ocean in April with warm water in the mid to high 70s. Haha...

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
HHI temperatures in April will vary. It could be cold (low 50s) or could be warm (near 80). Hit or miss based on your luck that week. Averages would likely be great temperatures for biking, golfing and general outdoor non-swim activities. However, I think it would generally be quite cool for the outdoor pool and ocean temps will likely be chilly still. HHI isn't far enough South to have warm water temps in April. Sure, you could get in...but be prepared for a chilly swim. My 2 cents. If you want warmer water and weather in April, you'll have to hit South Florida (West Palm, Miami, etc).

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
HHI temperatures in April will vary. It could be cold (low 50s) or could be warm (near 80). Hit or miss based on your luck that week. Averages would likely be great temperatures for biking, golfing and general outdoor non-swim activities. However, I think it would generally be quite cool for the outdoor pool and ocean temps will likely be chilly still. HHI isn't far enough South to have warm water temps in April. Sure, you could get in...but be prepared for a chilly swim. My 2 cents. If you want warmer water and weather in April, you'll have to hit South Florida (West Palm, Miami, etc).

100% accurate, and temps cannot ever be predicted.....a "range" can be predicted, but it's a wide range.
We've had pretty good luck in April at HH, but we've also experienced a cold week or two.
We traveled to OCEAN POINTE in April once to improve the possibility of warmer temps, and it was very cool there too.....low 60s.

Fortunately now for HH is that more and more resorts have added heated outdoor pools within the last 5 years,
and when combined with the already-existing indoor pools, it still makes for a an enjoyable stay.
Best plan is always to go as far south as you can, and the rest involves keeping your fingers crossed.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first two (2) weeks on the Island is a great time to be on HHI. You cannot ever predicted how the weather will be. We have been bless with the temperatures, always above 60 degrees...All we know anytime on HHI is a great time for us. There are Less crowds on the beach and the restaurant experiences have are always been outstanding IMHO..

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see how the weather was in April 2019. I'm contemplating a trip for first week of April 2020. I currently have a week at Ocean Watch booked but I think I'm going to cancel to see if I can find Grande Ocean. Only downside right now is that Grande Ocean offers Friday Check-in with a 7 or 8 night stay. No Saturday check-in for what I'm looking at.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see how the weather was in April 2019. I'm contemplating a trip for first week of April 2020. I currently have a week at Ocean Watch booked but I think I'm going to cancel to see if I can find Grande Ocean. Only downside right now is that Grande Ocean offers Friday Check-in with a 7 or 8 night stay. No Saturday check-in for what I'm looking at.
Can you take 8 nights and reduced it to 7 nights later?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Actual weather for April 2019. High temps ranged from 59 degrees to 84 degrees.

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 1.48.05 PM.png

Here is another screen shot that shows days with rain from April 1-19. Looks like six days with measurable rain. There was no rain from April 20-30.

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 1.51.11 PM.png

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
April can be iffy, very cool to very warm, rainy or no rain. No way to tell, and frankly it's pretty much the same at Myrtle Beach.
The same systems typically travel through both....
Originate in Gulf, then up through Alabama, Georgia, then SC at 45 degree angle NE.
We've been at Grande Ocean 4 out of the last 5 years during the second week of April,
and the weather has been good in general, but a few scattered cool days and a few rainy days.
It can also be pristine, so we will do the same next year. April is a great time to be at HH.
For the record, get a bike rental early......you can hardly find a bike to rent on the island because the temps are usually
so nice they're all taken.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Whether cool or hot April is a good time to go to Hilton Head. Love early October too. Lots to do, whatever the weather.