• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This is crazy [Postal Service]

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
i ordered my husband’s cpap supplies on June 10 and asked that the package be delivered to my Wisconsin address. It left Iowa on June 12 and it went to estero Florida, where UPS left if off at the post office on June 18. Since June 18 it has gone to Jacksonville, to Chicago, then to Pittsburgh, then to Jacksonville, then back to Pittsburgh and then back to Jacksonville. It left Jacksonville today, July 1, and I have no idea where it is going. The only thing I can see is that it says Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. But there has to be other information on that package that is causing problems.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Wow! That is crazy! Obviously something is haywire! Have you called the company?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several calls to company, and to local post office

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Pillow and it went from Ca to Or and then stopped....nothing else on the tracking for over 2 weeks....fortunately they are just shipping another one

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I had a similar situation once, because I messed up the zip code (29945 became 29445). At the time I was told that the reason it kept going to Jacksonville was because that's where the major post office sorting station is in the southeast area. Eventually they sorted it out but it took awhile. Could you call and have them double check the address that was used?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I had a similar situation once, because I messed up the zip code (29945 became 29445). At the time I was told that the reason it kept going to Jacksonville was because that's where the major post office sorting station is in the southeast area. Eventually they sorted it out but it took awhile. Could you call and have them double check the address that was used?

Just to explain this a bit more: The first three digits of a ZIP Code identify the SCF (Sectional Center Facility). Both SCF 299 and 294 are served by the Charleston, SC SCF.
ZIP Code 299 parcels and mail should further be routed through the Jacksonville, FL NDC (Network Distribution Center) while ZIP Code 294 parcels and mail would be routed through the Greensboro, NC NDC.
No doubt, part of this issue occurred because the parcel or mail in question ended up at the wrong NDC.

BUT - depending on what was shipped and how you shipped it, when it bounced back to Charleston, someone at the postal service should have verified the address components.

While this does take a bit to play out, an overwhelming amount of parcels and mail usually get to where they are going.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Just to explain this a bit more: The first three digits of a ZIP Code identify the SCF (Sectional Center Facility). Both SCF 299 and 294 are served by the Charleston, SC SCF.
ZIP Code 299 parcels and mail should further be routed through the Jacksonville, FL NDC (Network Distribution Center) while ZIP Code 294 parcels and mail would be routed through the Greensboro, NC NDC.
No doubt, part of this issue occurred because the parcel or mail in question ended up at the wrong NDC.

BUT - depending on what was shipped and how you shipped it, when it bounced back to Charleston, someone at the postal service should have verified the address components.

While this does take a bit to play out, an overwhelming amount of parcels and mail usually get to where they are going.

Sounds like you know the inner workings of the post office. 29928 is the Hilton Head zip code (one I use at times, hence the error)….would a HH package be routed through Jacksonville? The mail in my story was a Priority Mail package sent from NC. Should have been there in 2 days but took about a week and at least twice it headed to Jacksonville during its travel adventures. I eventually called the John's Island post office where they snagged it at some point and were very apologetic which surprised me because I kept pointing out that the error was mine.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I imagine is my Florida address is somewhere on the package, but the company that sent it out denies this. Cpap mask, pillows, water chamber, hose, filters, very expensive package.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I drive all over the US and it amazes me how many States have the exact same towns as all the rest

My guess. Either it’s a Waldo thing. Or the barcode thing is messed up or zip codes are very close

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Just as an aside here, if you ever have a question about anything related to the US Postal Service, most questions can be answered by checking out the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual).
Warning: Will cause drowsiness!

The DMM can be found here: https://pe.usps.com/DMM300/Index

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
i ordered my husband’s cpap supplies on June 10 and asked that the package be delivered to my Wisconsin address. It left Iowa on June 12 and it went to estero Florida, where UPS left if off at the post office on June 18. Since June 18 it has gone to Jacksonville, to Chicago, then to Pittsburgh, then to Jacksonville, then back to Pittsburgh and then back to Jacksonville. It left Jacksonville today, July 1, and I have no idea where it is going. The only thing I can see is that it says Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. But there has to be other information on that package that is causing problems.
If UPS doesn't watch out, they're going to be competing with the California DMV for the 2019 Corporate Efficiency Award.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Package is in Chicago, but it has been there twice already. Let’s see if it goes north.
Zip codes are 53965. And 33928 so I don’t see that as the problem

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like you know the inner workings of the post office. 29928 is the Hilton Head zip code (one I use at times, hence the error)….would a HH package be routed through Jacksonville? The mail in my story was a Priority Mail package sent from NC. Should have been there in 2 days but took about a week and at least twice it headed to Jacksonville during its travel adventures. I eventually called the John's Island post office where they snagged it at some point and were very apologetic which surprised me because I kept pointing out that the error was mine.

I used to work in a job that required us to interact (deeply) with postal regulations. My knowledge is dated but should still be reasonably accurate.

A first class letter usually takes (a portion) of the following path:
  1. Starting in the post office you drop the letter off at, the letter then goes to....
  2. A Sectional Center Facility (SCF). From there, it can move to a
  3. Network Distribution Center (NDC - if necessary). Then it moves to another NDC, then
  4. ...another SCF, then to...
  5. the local post office where it is placed in the correct route and (hopefully) delivered.
The SCF for 29929 is Charleston, SC.
The NDC for 29929 is Jacksonville, FL.

The SCF for Johns Island is 294 and it too IS serviced by the Charleston, SC SCF.

Your letter SHOULD NOT have moved any higher in the USPS system than the Charleston, SC SCF.
BUT if the address was incorrect on the letter / package, any number of possibilities exist and sometimes problem mail (mail that cannot be delivered) can move higher in the USPS hierarchy.

Anytime I mail anything to addresses I do not know by heart, I always use the ZIP Code tool on the USPS website to verify I have a correct (deliverable) address.
This can be found at: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

More than you wanted to know I suspect, but hopefully this shines some light....

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Package is in Chicago, but it has been there twice already. Let’s see if it goes north.
Zip codes are 53965. And 33928 so I don’t see that as the problem

53965 is serviced by the Madison, WI SCF and the Chicago, NDC.
33928 is services by the Fort Myers, FL SCF and the Jacksonville, FL NDC.

Is 53965 the ZIP Code for the delivery?

Reaction score
In 2013, I did phone support for CVS' mail-order pharmacy. I had a lot of callers who asked why they didn't get their medicines, I would look it up and it would say it is at their local post office. They used the nation's worst delivery, sometimes known as "Economy", where the package moves by UPS or FedEx to their local post office. The USPS would overlook it, or would do it when they get to it. I'm not saying this is what happened, but like others have said, lost packages have happened.

TS

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is in Madison so I may get this if it doesn’t get sent back to Florida

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is on its way back to Florida, they put in correct address and Florida zip code!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is on its way back to Florida, they put in correct address and Florida zip code!
Just to make sure I understand this, the parcel has your Wisconsin address but your Florida ZIP Code?

It would be interesting to see the marks (comments) made on the package by the multiple attempts at delivery. When a (first class) letter or parcel is not deliverable, there is usually a note made to that effect on the letter / parcel with a brief explanation (usually an abbreviation).

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes my Wisconsin address and my Florida Zip code
I would love to see the package, but I doubt I will ever see it.

This is not the first time we have had trouble with the Wisconsin address.
When we bought our Florida home back in 2003, we had sold our home in Illinois, and our only address was Wisconsin. On all the paperwork for the Florida home purchase, I used our Wisconsin address. We did not receive the papers to sign for the closing, and got a call from the real estate agent. All the closing papers were sent to Illinois. Someone took the address off our deposit check and used it. That address was our Illinois home and our paperwork was sent to Illinois. A week before the Illinois house sale, I had gone to the bank and asked for new checks because of the address and was told no, the checks were fine. Well, some clerk decided to ignore our address on all the forms and use Illinois address off the check. We almost missed the closing deadline because of this..
When we got our title a few weeks later, I discovered our address read Wisconsin Dells, Illinois. It was crazy. I called the county in Florida, they said it was no worry, it made no difference, as Florida was now our residence. When we returned to Wisconsin for the summer, I discovered a weather beaten letter in my mailbox from the county with a form to fill out regarding any items left in the house we purchased. I never returned the form.
When I give Wisconsin Dells as a city, I am greeted with major confusion on the part of anyone not from the Midwest. I ordered blinds for the whole house and they were addressed to Wisconsin, Dells 53965, clerk could not understand the name of the city.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The package is in Naples Florida now.
The company that sent it is refilling the order, they said the package will eventually come back to them

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only, asked the company to mail you a new order to your current address and let your first order be returned to the company.
Remember, this is a suggestion only.