• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Went to our first owners meeting since 1999

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
We are small potatoes owners (84,00 pts) in Pagosa CO. We are staying at Wyndham Palm Air In Pompano Beach FL. (1 BR) this week. For the heck of it, I said let’s see what’s new.
Turns our everyone now has lots more points! Ha.
Well they gave us the chance to go to 400,000 pts for $97,000. I don’t think so. We just won’t use them, and aren’t all that keen on buying it for our three kiddos to enjoy later. Plus maintenance fees go from $65/mo to $219/mo.
So, they found an offer that should have been given to us from years ago...
Offer was to go to 238,000 points with $131/mo maintenance. Switch from single site ownership to access ownership (I may not have terminology correct).
I wouldn’t commit. Said they could still do it tomorrow if we changed our minds.
Seems reasonable, but I’m definitely checking here first.. Good deal??
Can I buy points on eBay? Can I just buy points when I want to go somewhere nice?
Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry for lengthy post.
Jeff

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy resale at under $500 and save yourself thousands of dollars. Sounds like they are offering another 154,000 points on top of the 84,000 you already own. Let me guess this package would cost you about 30k?

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
There are only a few things resale won’t get you (for now). They will not get you VIP or advance you to the next level of VIP. You cannot use them for Club Pass (WorldMark) bookings, or converting your points to Wyndham rewards. The latter has a terrible conversion rate and can only be done with future years points. Not left over points. If WorldMark is important to you, consider buying a WorldMark contract on eBay. You get better booking privileges, because you can book up to 13 months out. Club Wyndham owners using Club Pass can only book 9 months out. At that point, most of the desirable inventory is booked up.

If you want VIP, you have to buy retail. The best way to buy into VIP is the PIC Plus program because it saves you a lot of money. Essentially, you can enroll a fixed or float week at a qualifying non-Wyndham resort into PIC Plus for additional points. You have to buy a minimum bid 49,000 points to do that, but you could get VIP Silver for as low as $16,000 if you buy through telesales. With that said, $16,000 is a lot to spend. Only spend it, if you know you will use the points and benefits. Upgrades and discounts are hard to come by, during prime season. So if you only travel during prime, don’t expect upgrades or discounts. It would be best to not expect it at all, and consider it a nice bonus if it happens. Consider the other benefits and if you can use them. If you cannot, don’t bother. Go straight resale.

I have a mix of both resale and retail. Both work just fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Buy resale at under $500 and save yourself thousands of dollars. Sounds like they are offering another 154,000 points on top of the 84,000 you already own. Let me guess this package would cost you about 30k?

Right on the nose!! $31K to be exact! Ha, so glad I found TUG!

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
There are only a few things resale won’t get you (for now). They will not get you VIP or advance you to the next level of VIP. You cannot use them for Club Pass (WorldMark) bookings, or converting your points to Wyndham rewards. The latter has a terrible conversion rate and can only be done with future years points. Not left over points. If WorldMark is important to you, consider buying a WorldMark contract on eBay. You get better booking privileges, because you can book up to 13 months out. Club Wyndham owners using Club Pass can only book 9 months out. At that point, most of the desirable inventory is booked up.

If you want VIP, you have to buy retail. The best way to buy into VIP is the PIC Plus program because it saves you a lot of money. Essentially, you can enroll a fixed or float week at a qualifying non-Wyndham resort into PIC Plus for additional points. You have to buy a minimum bid 49,000 points to do that, but you could get VIP Silver for as low as $16,000 if you buy through telesales. With that said, $16,000 is a lot to spend. Only spend it, if you know you will use the points and benefits. Upgrades and discounts are hard to come by, during prime season. So if you only travel during prime, don’t expect upgrades or discounts. It would be best to not expect it at all, and consider it a nice bonus if it happens. Consider the other benefits and if you can use them. If you cannot, don’t bother. Go straight resale.

I have a mix of both resale and retail. Both work just fine for me.

Well, after your reply, we definitely are not doing anything today. I need to do some research and think it through. I’d like to have 13 months lead time to book. We have too many irons in the fire now. Farm, travel trailer, and other weeks TS. So far our 80,000 pts have worked out ok. Generally get what we want and where. Usually qualify for a studio, but like here, got upgraded to one BR on 8th floor at checkin. But it’s FL in June/July..

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Well, after your reply, we definitely are not doing anything today. I need to do some research and think it through. I’d like to have 13 months lead time to book. We have too many irons in the fire now. Farm, travel trailer, and other weeks TS. So far our 80,000 pts have worked out ok. Generally get what we want and where. Usually qualify for a studio, but like here, got upgraded to one BR on 8th floor at checkin. But it’s FL in June/July..

Just to be clear, the 9 months is for WorldMark locations. For the Club Wyndham resorts, you would have 13 months for your home resort and 10 months for the rest. CWA gives you 13 month booking rights to 68+ resorts for CWA inventory only. So if a resort is less then 1% CWA (Canterbury), CWA Owners will have a hard time booking at 13 months, however, at 10 months they can book anything available. So if something is not available at 13 months, try again at 10 when everything is open to everyone.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right on the nose!! $31K to be exact! Ha, so glad I found TUG!

I know how the sales math works. The numbers are all the same but they spin it many ways. Even if you had 2 million points they would try to sell you more and justify it with a lie.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Resale is the way to go unless you want VIP. Richelle or a few others here can give you a price on what that costs.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Resale is the way to go unless you want VIP. Richelle or a few others here can give you a price on what that costs.

Straight points retail, someone told me Silver cost them around $64k for 400,000 points. Pass. I’ll stick with PIC even though it requires a little more leg work. Gold cost me half that.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
“If” we do anything, it’ll be resale.
Thx

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
“If” we do anything, it’ll be resale.
Thx

Good choice. :)

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

Although I’m not a Florida fan in June or July due to the weather. Those aren’t necessarily the low demand times for rooms. So you scored with the bump

Btw. How’d you get by with no update for the past 20 years??

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I assume by repeatedly saying no. We've been owners for 9 years, and I've never once been to an update.

Come on you're missing out on a experience designed by Wyndham to make you feel special. What is wrong with you that you don't want to waste your valuable stress free vacation time? I wonder if anyone else on TUG has a better record than you?

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Aren’t some the updates required?

For some reason I think we need to do one a year??

We are HIVC though.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Updates are only required with a Discovery package or the “party weekend” packages and things of that nature. Where you are getting something in exchange for subjecting yourself to the sales weasels. No updates are required just for owning or staying otherwise.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Updates are only required with a Discovery package or the “party weekend” packages and things of that nature. Where you are getting something in exchange for subjecting yourself to the sales weasels. No updates are required just for owning or staying otherwise.
I thought updates were for sales to lie and insult you into buying more. If you try to say no they insult more. The plan is to divide and conquer. Just make sure you spouse says no also.

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Although I’m not a Florida fan in June or July due to the weather. Those aren’t necessarily the low demand times for rooms. So you scored with the bump

Btw. How’d you get by with no update for the past 20 years??

Our son lives down here so it was a visit. I’d rather visit in Feb. :)

We just have always declined the meetings. I’ve never wanted to go. Turns out we totally wasted 2.5 hrs this morning. I may miss them for another 20 yrs.

We were told not to buy it for us, but for the kids and grandkids. Didn’t move the dial for me. We spend a lot of time with them now. Enough that we need a vacation.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Aren’t some the updates required?

For some reason I think we need to do one a year??

We are HIVC though.

I do not believe any timeshare system requires you to go to a meeting, unless you signed up for a promotion or trial package, and it's in writing that you need to attend. The people who try to get you to go, will often times tell people it's required, even though it's not. I don't know anything about HIVC, so you may want to call their customer care line to verify. Do not take the word of anyone who makes money off of you. The people who send you to meetings, make money off of you. They often get paid per head.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not believe any timeshare system requires you to go to a meeting, unless you signed up for a promotion or trial package, and it's in writing that you need to attend. The people who try to get you to go, will often times tell people it's required, even though it's not. I don't know anything about HIVC, so you may want to call their customer care line to verify. Do not take the word of anyone who makes money off of you. The people who send you to meetings, make money off of you. They often get paid per head.
$20 per couple

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
We did get a $100 gift card for going. Should have mentioned that.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did get a $100 gift card for going. Should have mentioned that.
$150 Is the best I walked away with. Not really worth the time especially if you get a rude and insulting sales person. Nashville and Old Town Alexandria were the worst.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
$150 Is the best I walked away with. Not really worth the time especially if you get a rude and insulting sales person. Nashville and Old Town Alexandria were the worst.

If you ever go to Glacier Canyon, Gino was one of the most insulting and misogynist people I have ever met. Stay far away!

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

You might be right. Maybe they say something like “ your yearly update “??

We’ve done a few. But now with all we own. Some retail and some eBay we have more than enough points

The last update was a few months ago. The sales guy starts talking about the kids and their families etc. then tried to tell me why I need to go from 1 million points to 2 million
So the kids all have enough to share

Nope. Don’t need it

davejulien

Reaction score
I’m Platinum. Maybe I’ve gotten lucky but 15 of my last 17 reservations have been upgraded from a 1 bed to 2 bed. This includes over Peak times like Christmas, New Years, and 4th of July week. If this keeps happening I’ll be expecting it every time. Lol