• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

'Very Smart People'; but a Keyless Car's Downside Killed Them

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I have no idea. Our will chime/beep loudly if you open the driver's door while the engine is running. I thought most/all vehicles did that -- am I wrong?

Kurt

I thought so too!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I have no idea. Our will chime/beep loudly if you open the driver's door while the engine is running. I thought most/all vehicles did that -- am I wrong?

Kurt

Perhaps people leave the fob in the car when its in the garage. I’ve done that a few times, left it in my gym bag on the back seat.

I don’t have a problem remembering to hit the start/stop button because the music is playing and my dash is lit up, everything goes dark when stopped.

I must also have a sensitive nose, I can tell if the car is running by exhaust smell. I always back into the garage for fast getaways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be pretty easy to add a safety feature of 5 minutes in park and the engine turns off. As we age I would assume the risk of leaving the car on gets more and more.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
No question that there is a teeny-tiny 'learning bump' to transition from a keyed-ignition car to one with a 'Start' button. When- it's probably not 'if' anymore- you get into your first one that works just fine with the fob in your pocket or purse, just pay attention when you park. Make sure you touch it 'OFF' and in Park before you get out. How hard is that?

It isn't about being 'smart' enough, it's about developing a safety habit.

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Perhaps people leave the fob in the car when its in the garage. I’ve done that a few times, left it in my gym bag on the back seat.
No, what I am saying is that even if I leave the fob in the car, if I open the door to get out and the engine is still running, it beeps / chimes at me. It does not do that if I first shut off the car. My vehicles I had before with real keys did the exact same thing. So I am just not understanding how having a keyless ignition plays any role in this -- in both cases, after you pull into the garage and stop, you then need to turn off the ignition or else a warning will sound when you open the door. So why is this being touted as a keyless ignition thing??? I'm a bit baffled...

Kurt

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did this one time this year. The vehicle was running so quietly in my driveway. I did not realize it was on until about twenty (20) minutes later, when I went out to check my mail box.
I now double check before I raise my garage door.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
No, what I am saying is that even if I leave the fob in the car, if I open the door to get out and the engine is still running, it beeps / chimes at me. It does not do that if I first shut off the car. My vehicles I had before with real keys did the exact same thing. So I am just not understanding how having a keyless ignition plays any role in this -- in both cases, after you pull into the garage and stop, you then need to turn off the ignition or else a warning will sound when you open the door. So why is this being touted as a keyless ignition thing??? I'm a bit baffled...

Kurt
Hi Kurt.

My wife has a 2017 Nissan Rogue with a keyless ignition. Occasionally, she will not press the keyless button hard enough to turn off the engine. When she opens the driver door to exit the car, No warning signal goes off. The only way that she knows something is amiss is when she clicks her fob to lock the car doors, the expected notifying beep(s) do not go off, and when she checks, discovers the quiet engine is still running and is then turned off. Locking the car doors with the fob will then trigger the beep(s). We don't have a garage, so the car is always locked in the parking lot. I can see that when this type of vehicle is parked in a home-garage, the engine could be accidentally left running, and the car doors not be locked, creating the danger of carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Richard

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Really, 38? Wow. It's more of a problem then I thought.

How do you leave your car running in the garage? Hybrid, I understand. Normal car?

Maybe I underestimated this. Wow.

Here’s a scenario. You have a keyless car and it has an auto start/stop feature. You pull in the garage, fiddle around doing something and the auto stop/start logic stops the engine. You get done fiddling around, see the tach at zero, think the car is off and exit with fob in the car or close enough to register. After a minute or two, the car fires up again and keeps cycling until you’re dead or the car is out of gas.

Modern technology for technology’s sake:rolleyes:

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a key to start and turned off your vehicle. You must turn your key to the left and removed the key from the ignition to turn off the vehicle.

To start your vehicle you must place the key in your ignition slot, turned the key to the right to start your vehicle.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My wife has a 2017 Nissan Rogue with a keyless ignition. Occasionally, she will not press the keyless button hard enough to turn off the engine. When she opens the driver door to exit the car, No warning signal goes off.
Ok, so there are some models that do not warn when you open the driver door with the car still running (I just have never noticed one). That makes things a bit different.

Kurt

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Here’s another quirk of the technology. I always kept my foot on the brake until everything is off.

Well, when I first got one these fob gizmos on my BMW X3, I couldn’t turn the d*** thing off. You first hit the button to stop the engine, then push the button again to turn off the car. To start the car, you have to have your foot on the brake.

Naturally, since I had my foot on the brake continuously, the engine stopped on the first push and then the engine fired up the second time I pushed the button. This went on for about 5-10 cycles until I finally gave up after the first push to kill the engine, got out and the car eventually turned everything else off. German Engineers can be mystifying in their design approach.

The car eventually trained me.

Cheers

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
So sad. Maybe preventable with error-proof technology described above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Also preventable with $10 carbon monoxide alarms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk