• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Highlands Inn just passed ROFR

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
i need another timeshare like I need a hole in the head. But. I made an offer on an EOY even 1BR platinum week 18 at Highlands Inn over the weekend.

Offer was accepted, we got our contract Mon, returned it Tues, and Hyatt passed on exercising it’s ROFR yesterday. Incredibly fast! So hopefully we close by the end of June and Hyatt enters into the system in July.

We wanted a good unit, ours is 437 which is labeled horizon view but per the front desk has a good ocean view. It’s an ADA Unit, which for us is both good and bad. We travel to Carmel for the purpose of cycling and usually have bikes and associated gear. No steps into the unit is a real plus. But the counters are lower and I actually cook in Timeshares, so that could be a PIA. We’ll see.

It’s a Sunday check in, works well for us because I normally am off Fri, Sat, Sun. The split week’s weekend with a Sunday checkin is Thurs-Fri-Sat, so we can get a nice stay with just 1 vacation day, if we split the week. OR if we use the whole week, we can tack a two day stay on somewhere for Fri and Sat- Paso Robles, Cambria, Santa Cruz, San Francisco all work well.

We also own a Gold week 22 at High Sierra. Not sure what our usage will be next year, we were planning on New Years AirBnB in Scottsdale, Mar Carmel (club trade, 4 nights combined with a hotel stay), June Bend OR (private TUG trade), Labor Day Sun Valley for a bike race then Park City with our Marriott ownership, Thanksgiving Sedona (club trade).

I’m thinking we will try for Maui, since we’ll have the points. If we use our owned split week weekend, we’ll have enough points left for any size unit in Maui. If we get a match in Maui, the size unit we match into will then dictate what we do with Sedona. We can probably trade in with a non Hyatt over Thanksgiving, we’ve done it before.

We’re mostly interested in Carmel, Tahoe and Sedona. They are drive-to locations for us and the cycling is great. Maybe Aspen and Breck summer at some point, for the mountain biking. And occasionally Maui. There’s always the challenge of riding up Haleakala!

Anyway, happy with the purchase. We were looking at Pinon Point and Highlands Inn. Pinon Pointe is tricky if you want a prime unit.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Congratulations on passing ROFR. I loved our stay at Hyatt Highlands.

Getting Maui with your SBP is still going to work for you. Our son recently stayed in a unit that I got with our small one bedroom at SBP.

Of course, I know you are talking about staying at the Hyatt on Maui, and that would be so nice.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Congratulations on passing ROFR. I loved our stay at Hyatt Highlands.

Getting Maui with your SBP is still going to work for you. Our son recently stayed in a unit that I got with our small one bedroom at SBP.

Of course, I know you are talking about staying at the Hyatt on Maui, and that would be so nice.

The ironic thing is that we had a WKORVN reservation for next March, an exchange we got with our SBP.

Then we went to Carmel on vacation and decided next year we wanted to go back to Carmel, rather than Maui. So we gave the WKORVN week to some friends and went searching for another Hyatt week.

Bought a week in Carmel and now are talking about trading it for Maui.

Makes sense, right??! Lol, I am obviously conflicted on the idea of going to Maui.

Major first world problem.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Congratulations. We go to Monterey every year for the races. One day we will stay in Carmel.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Sounds like fun. Riding down Haleakala! I Did it before. it was Breathtaking. I think there are some restrictions now. Someone can give you more up to date info than I can.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Congratulations! Sounds like fun. Riding down Haleakala! I Did it before. it was Breathtaking. I think there are some restrictions now. Someone can give you more up to date info than I can.

I have zero interest in riding down Haleakala. I’d want to ride *up* Haleakala. Once I got to the top, I’d be done. Drive down in the support vehicle.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I have zero interest in riding down Haleakala. I’d want to ride *up* Haleakala. Once I got to the top, I’d be done. Drive down in the support vehicle.
I rode up in my 30's. Hardest ride of my life. I'd be scared to ride down.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

Congrats on your Highlands purchase. That sure was fast for waiving ROFR!
I'm going to Highlands for the first time in about a month; am very interested in seeing the place.

DH took a bike tour to ride down when we were last on Maui. He had a blast, but he's an experienced bike rider. The tours say they're for advanced riders. DH said he had a mixture of ability in his group; the tour leader spent more time with the middle-end of the pack. I would be scared to death too going very fast; gotta be able to handle the downhill speed. The bike rides now start outside of the national park, I guess for liability reasons.

He wouldn't have minded trying to ride uphill, but no tours in that direction, and I wasn't going to trail him in the car for hours in case stuff happened o_O
Besides the roads are pretty much 1 lane in either direction a good part of the way, and you could hold up traffic depending upon time of day.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Congrats on passing ROFR and on your awesome purchase

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You'll enjoy your Unit 437. We own Week 18 at 439, so perhaps we'll see you sometime. 439 is on the 2nd floor and has amazing views of the little bay inlet that is the definitive view from Highlands Inn. 437 is on the first floor and is partially blocked by trees and landscaping, but still has great views. Congrats!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Just a quick update that our closing went smoothly. Our new unit showed up in our Hyatt account yesterday.

Our timeline went like this:
Offer made May 11
Offer accept May 12
Sent for ROFR May 14
ROFR waived May 15
Escrow closed on June 3
Hyatt completed transfer June 28

Seven weeks, start to finish.

Many thanks to Bill Gabrielli, the broker that we used. Super easy to work with and on top of things every step of the way.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
That was fast. Did Bill Quote you a good price or did you just low ball the offer. When I spoke to him he kept saying these weeks go for this and those weeks for that. I knew that people where getting better deals and I got the idea he wasn't interested in low ball offers so I bought elsewhere.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Same experience with Bill. I made a few fair offers on his overpriced listings and he did not budge.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
That was fast. Did Bill Quote you a good price or did you just low ball the offer. When I spoke to him he kept saying these weeks go for this and those weeks for that. I knew that people where getting better deals and I got the idea he wasn't interested in low ball offers so I bought elsewhere.

I offered $2000 for an EOY platinum week, and it was accepted. It was a price point that worked for me, but my intent was not to squeeze the absolute lowest price out of the seller. My priorities were something at Highlands Inn or Pinon Pointe close but not too close to week 22 (which is what we own at High Sierra), a good unit, and not more than $4k.

We did make a lowball offer on a different unit that seemed to be priced aggressively. However we offered 50% of the asking price right after the seller decreased the price. So I think that was just a little too much to the seller to consider at thexact point in time. He/she would’ve wound up with only about a third of what they were hoping to get. They might eventually accept the price I offered but psychologically not when I made my offer.

Never felt dissuaded from making an offer.

I’m ok with paying a little more to work with someone non-frustrating. Time is money, I’m happy to look for bargains within reason but also place a premium on a smooth transaction. If I lose best use of a years worth of points, there’s $1800 down the drain.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Same experience with Bill. I made a few fair offers on his overpriced listings and he did not budge.

Same as y’all, I have made what I believe were fair priced offers based on what other units (comps) I know have sold for, not talking eBay either. He flat turns me down, where I know he has not bothered advising his clients of the offers. His clients may have said don’t bother us if the offer is under x$, but I know some of his listings sit for years with out moving... who is that good for?

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
who is that good for?

The other sellers. A good broker will keep as many high listings as possible. If there are six listings at 10k, then one all the sudden at 8k looks cheap. Same for rentals. I see some priced WAY too high. Then the same person has one 2-3 hundred less. The lower price now looks great.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I never forget that these are timeshares. For every seller that is hanging on for a high price. There is a seller that actually really wants to sell: today, not next week, month or year...

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I contacted several brokers and their options were out of our price range. Daily searching on multiple sites finally yielded 2 opportunities.

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score

+1 (or rather +2) for Bill who helped me on the buyer side for two timeshares (neither his listings). He operates without drama unlike my experience with other timeshare reps, and helped me find two (for me) incredible deals. He never declined to present on my behalf no matter what my crazy low-ball was.

On the sell side, pricing is ultimately up to the seller, but make no mistake, Bill understands the market rate.

He gently offers his sell listings but at least for the two Hyatt weeks I have, it's a reasonable and efficient market with the MyResortNetwork website.

With no pressure at all, Bill's great!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I love Bill. He is fabulous with me. I do not see his listings as overpriced. I have a Hyatt Key West waiting to pass ROFR and his listing was the lowest price on the market. I suspect it will pass since I heard Hyatt is not exercising ROFR. But still waiting. If you tell Bill what you want, he will find it anywhere, not just his listing. Last year Bill found me an incredible deal on MVC trust points. I bought for $3 pp and $2 activation fee. I think the going rate now is $4 pp and $3 activation fee. I purchased 7000 trust points and it turned out the seller was a Venezulan widow so it took like double the time to close. Probably why her deal was so nicely priced. I worked with another broker on the deal so I assume Bill got a referral fee. I told Bill I would pay $3 PP and he found me a deal! The attorney on the deal made it happen or this deal was ready to fall apart. The other broker was not very effective but the attorney worked night and day for me for a $500 commission. He must have lost money on my deal but I refer to him whenever someone needs a stupendous TS attorney.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Just a quick update that our closing went smoothly. Our new unit showed up in our Hyatt account yesterday.

Our timeline went like this:
Offer made May 11
Offer accept May 12
Sent for ROFR May 14
ROFR waived May 15
Escrow closed on June 3
Hyatt completed transfer June 28

Seven weeks, start to finish.

Many thanks to Bill Gabrielli, the broker that we used. Super easy to work with and on top of things every step of the way.

Wow that is fabulous. I hope our settles this fast.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can some of you who made good offers to Bill give us some more info to see if we think it is a lowball or not?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My Hyatt Platinum week 14 unobstructed oceanfront view corner unit (across from street from ocean and on the walking/bike riding path) passed ROFR this week at $6900. I did not doubt it would pass since it was at market rate. I think this was not a steal or deal but a fair market price that the owner asked for. I did not negotiate it since it was the lowest price on the market for all the platinum weeks with a fantastic view and location IMHO. I could have made a low ball offer but I did not. I hope when I am ready to sell that other buyers will do the same for me instead of driving down the resale market to zero until the developers step in and start buying back all the available resale weeks for pennies.

Last edited: