• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beginner question

chidis

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Bay Lake Tower, Disney Vero Beach
Hello,

I only have experience with Disney Vacation Club and am looking to possibly add a timeshare that uses the same model but has more Hawaiian options. I'm looking for something that I can use every 3rd year - so banking and borrowing points between years - and can use at multiple locations - Kauai and Maui preferably.
Are there any timeshare that fit the above criteria?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
NOT Welk. Welk falls short in the borrowing/banking category.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Vistana.

Do you have to stay during the high season when kids are out of school? Then buy an Every Other Year week at WKORV or WKORVN.

If you can travel in lower seasons, buy a "mandatory" timeshare with StarOptions elsewhere and book Hawaii at 8 months. This is a much more cost effective option, but you will not be able to book high demand weeks this way. If you are OK with One Bedroom, buy at SVV Bella or SVV Key West, 81,000 StarOptions. If you need a Two Bedroom, buy a 148,100 StarOptions week at Westin Kierland Villas.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Worldmark Points are good for 24 months plus about 29 days from the day they are deposited into your Account. Plus you can borrow a year in advance. So as long as you are nimble about it you can actually use 4 years of Points to make a single Reservation. The problem is that there are only 4 Worldmark Resorts in Hawaii. One on Kauai, one on the BI, and two in Maui.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Worldmark Points are good for 24 months plus about 29 days from the day they are deposited into your Account. Plus you can borrow a year in advance. So as long as you are nimble about it you can actually use 4 years of Points to make a single Reservation. The problem is that there are only 4 Worldmark Resorts in Hawaii. One on Kauai, one on the BI, and two in Maui.
Oh no! Only 4 to choose from? Lol! What a shame..... Worldmark is the only other company I would consider owning with.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
HGVC is also an option. I own an affiliate, Bay Club, on the Big Island. Need to use RCI for trading. Since am a Westin/Hyatt owner, I can go the mandatory SO route. There is also Marriott, however I do not own in that system.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Marriott has some excellent resorts on the islands, but your trading company would be Interval International
Buying a resale week would work, renting out the years you don't want to stay there.
Exchanging to a different HI resort might be difficult depending on your time to travel.
Marriott HI deeds have pretty much two seasons - weeks 1-50, or weeks 51-52.

My recommendations:
Ko Olina (very near DVC Aulani) - Oahu - 2BR, can lockoff. Excellent rooms.
Waiohai - Kauai - 2BR only (no lockoffs). Excellent rooms.
Maui Ocean Club - Maui - Very expensive. many views, can lockoff. Older wing and much newer modern wing.
Kauai Beach Club - Kauai - many views, can lockoff. Rooms are converted hotel rooms....

These Marriott resale prices have been stable for quite a few years. Not zero value. All of these resorts are right at the water, with direct access to beach or lagoons.

chidis

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Bay Lake Tower, Disney Vero Beach
Thanks everyone for your input, I have some research to do

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hello,

I only have experience with Disney Vacation Club and am looking to possibly add a timeshare that uses the same model but has more Hawaiian options. I'm looking for something that I can use every 3rd year - so banking and borrowing points between years - and can use at multiple locations - Kauai and Maui preferably.
Are there any timeshare that fit the above criteria?

Thanks in advance!

You can (I have) easily pick up Hawaii trades via interval (and RCI to a lesser extent).

The qualifiers are this:

• Are you flexible? (dates, lead time between reservation and travel, either island, resort quality etc...)
  • Are you willing to search for broad dates? Off-season? "across the road" beach resorts? etc....
  • No price was mentioned: MVC points are easy, flexible etc... but every 3 years? Hmm... also expensive. You could buy small block and rent when needed....
  • Worldmark trades in RCI and II. Worldmark WILL get Marriott resorts (Maui and Waiohai/KBC). But, the lead time might be >60 days.
  • ANY Marriott will trade in II with preference. Deposit in II and put in your search. You'll hit something sometime. Easy-peasey and cheap.
  • What room size? Studio's are a dime a dozen except for certain months. Two or Three bedroom? Not so much. (2br @ Waiohai, yes).

How much money?
How big a unit?
What quality?
Flexible? (exchange/spur of the moment/schedule)

Answers might narrow things.

Worldmark resorts on Kauai and Maui are NOT like Disney or Marriott. In fact, Westin is the only thing that's close. (Or Hyatt, if you're a big spender!!)

@echino was spot on: Any cheap mandatory VSN property can easily book Maui and Princeville/Poipu at 8 mos, especially shoulder/off season or if you're flexible (less than 7 days, split between two resorts etc...)

Look at SVV Bella 2br contracts 81k. Look at Worldmark (only if you're very active and willing to work for the exchange) or look at a Marriott platinum trader that you might use/trade via Interval.

IMO.

I'm not a Blue/Green or Oahu HGVC Hawaii fan.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
HGVC is a really flexible system where you both bank and borrow points. The big issue for you is that they have quite a few resorts on Oahu and The Big Island, but none on Kauai and an upcoming one one one on Maui (no points yet, but the expectation is that it’s going to take a lot of points to go there).