• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Harborside Resale

Scott Sundick

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up the StarOptoin.... Makes sense now.

Buying resale at Harborside which from I understand is a Mandatory Resort, does that give us option to use the StarOption in the Exchange program with other Timeshares?

BTW this group has been great!

thanks
How do star options fit into the new westin flex program? I just sat through the Presentation, and never heard anything about star options

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Any timeshare that you buy from the developer has Staroptions - whether it's a Flex Option ownership or a regular deeded week ownership.

There are also 5 resorts that have Staroptions when you buy on the resale market.

At 8-0 months before check-in, you can use Staroptions to make reservations at any available Vistana resort - not just the ones in your Flex group.

However, if you want to sell your Flex Ownership down the road, the new owner will not get the Staroptions - they don't transfer, and that really hurts the resale value.

FAQ: Especially look at #9 & #19 - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

stein97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
I have been holding off on posting as I have been collecting more information. I think we all can agree Timeshare is not for everyone.
After a lot of discussion with my wife we decided on trying to secure a 2 bd Lockout in the weeks 1-17.

With that I have more question (can you believe it).

I am assuming its going to take me the better part of 2018 to actually buy a 2 bd lockout and have all the paper work done.

Lets assume I get week 12 deeded 2 bd lockout, can I exchange it (if available) for a later week? Since I won't have ownership until 2019 I might not be able to take off of work for vacation at week 12 the first year of ownership. With that do people have success renting in that narrow of a window? Can I do the StarOption that late?

I guess I am trying to justify that the first of ownership is not going to be the best experience.

Any thoughts?

(also I am starting another thread about Timeshare realtors.)

thanks
stein97

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would try to find a deed for which usage starts in 2020. In other words, the owner is going to use the 2019 usage, and your ownership starts in 2020. A broker who does a lot of HRA sales, should be able to find that for you.

stein97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
Yeah I was thinking about, it would be ideal. I was hedging my bets that if someone is selling odds are they want out and are not actively looking for renters or have a vaca booked.

This was my worse case scenario;

Lets assume I get week 12 deeded 2 bd lockout, can I exchange it (if available) for a later week? Since I won't have ownership until 2019 I might not be able to take off of work for vacation at week 12 the first year of ownership. With that do people have success renting in that narrow of a window? Can I do the StarOption that late?

thanks

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Harborside fixed weeks may have special rules about converting to StarOptions. I really don't know how that works. With some resorts if you don't make reservation within x months out, you are converted to StarOptions and you lose your fixed week priority. Other properties reserve your fixed week automatically and you have to call and tell them you don't want it in order to use StarOptions. Hopefully someone could come in and tell you how this works with Phase I at Harboroside. Ideally you would want a scenario where the week is already reserved or you can use the StarOptions.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Just an FYI--Phase 1 are fixed week units. Make sure that if you buy phase 1 you are happy with the week because to try and change it for another week is very hard to do. Phase 2 are float week units (unless you paid a premium to fix it). I own an EOY Phase 2 2-bedroom gold unit which I love. The maintenance is not much more in cost for a true 2 bedroom than a premium 1 bedroom unit, but allows for more people. It rents really well too since most people prefer the summer months. Harborside is really expensive to own as well as to visit, so if you really love it like I do then owning is a no brainer. When I had to rent it, I easily rented it for 2x maintenance fees. Also the 2 times I could not use it last minute and deposited it into II, I received superb trades into Marriott Surfwatch (in Hilton Head) and Marriott Oceanwatch in Myrtle Beach during summer platinum season which I felt were comparable trades.

If you want to just own a unit with staroptions to trade, vistana villages (Bella or key west phase) is a good choice because it comes with staroptions and is very inexpensive to acquire. However, please note that trading into the summer months at harborside are really hard to do. It is possible as my extended family has done so, but you usually can only get a small 1-bedroom. Just a thought to consider.
I own phase 1 crap week 19. Have never gone week 19. Have always moved to summer months at 10 month mark. Plus with new online booking constantly searching for availability is much easier. Plus I love my building!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Some advice, reach out to Russell Kanner @ http://thetimeshareking.com.
He is a timeshare reseller and specializes in Harborside. I purchased a Vistana contract from him and he was easy to work with. Listings on his website are out of date so don't get too caught up in that. But, looking at his listings will give you a sense of what's out there and what people are selling for.
Talked to him for over an hour tonight first about timeshares then life. He’s a great guy who knows his stuff.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own phase 1 crap week 19. Have never gone week 19. Have always moved to summer months at 10 month mark. Plus with new online booking constantly searching for availability is much easier. Plus I love my building!

What are you talking about “constantly searching for availability” ? Is that something new that I haven’t noticed?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
What are you talking about “constantly searching for availability” ? Is that something new that I haven’t noticed?
I mean I’m constantly searching for availability. I should have put with online booking “I am” constantly searching for availability. I wish they did for me. Unfortunately something like the waitlist is only available for elite owners. It was excellent when it was available to everyone years ago! I wish phase 1 was straight floating. Losing 2 months to deeded week owners hurts for summer months. My favorite week to go is actually Memorial Day week.

scoutings

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some advice, reach out to Russell Kanner @ http://thetimeshareking.com.
He is a timeshare reseller and specializes in Harborside. I purchased a Vistana contract from him and he was easy to work with. Listings on his website are out of date so don't get too caught up in that. But, looking at his listings will give you a sense of what's out there and what people are selling for.
I've tried calling, sending info through his website AND email. No response. Is he still doing this work? Do you know what might be going on with him?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I've tried calling, sending info through his website AND email. No response. Is he still doing this work? Do you know what might be going on with him?

TBH I have no idea. Our last HRA purchase was more than 7 years ago so a lot could have changed since then.

I do see some recent (active and inactive) rental ads on Redweek that he's listed on - maybe try reaching out that way through an active ad below?

https://www.redweek.com/posting/R934091
https://www.redweek.com/posting/R958349
https://www.redweek.com/posting/R615732

scoutings

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
no idea -- it was several years ago that I worked w/him.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC