• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Amazing Restoration Of Monterey Bay

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
As most of you know, I live in Northern California and am a happy owner at Hyatt Highlands Inn in Carmel, CA.

hyatt-carmel-highlands-inn-slider6.jpg

During a recent week spent there, DW and I just marinated ourselves in the breathtaking beauty of the place.

We visited Point Lobos State Park, only about a mile from Highlands Inn, and considered the crown jewel of the California State Parks system, which is the most extensive of any state in the Union. Point Lobos is stunning, and well worth a visit for anyone in the area, where you'll see otters playing in the bay, harbor seals sunning themselves, cormorants and seagulls, whales off in the distance, and even the occasional visit by orcas if you're there during the right time of the year.

maxresdefault.jpg

We spent an enjoyable afternoon at the very touristy Monterey Fisherman's Wharf, where we had an absolutely delicious bowl of New England Clam Chowder at Delmonico's, with a window seat view of the otters and seals. We were mesmerized watching an otter diving down to get mussels, cracking them on his chest as he floated on his back, and having to fight off two seagulls who planted themselves near where they thought he would come up from his fishing ventures to try to steal his lunch! Free entertainment along with a great meal.

California-Monterey-Strolling-Old-Fishermans-Wharf.jpg

We spent a whole day at the incomparable Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is the centerpiece of the research and restoration effort to make and keep the Bay vibrant and beautiful. It's definitely a highlight and should not be missed by anyone visiting the area.

monterey-bay-aquarium9.jpg

And we even got to visit some of the tidepools below Pebble Beach and watched some of the immense preparations for the just-completed U.S. Open, which was held at that venerable and revered golf course.

homepage-unforgettable1.jpg

tide-pools.jpg

What struck us during our visit is how alive, healthy, and strikingly beautiful Monterey Bay is. It was not always so. During the first half of the 20th century--and continuing all the way into the 1970's--the Bay was a dumping ground for the fish canneries that were stationed along what is now known as Cannery Row. Not only that, but other industries as well as the military (where a naval air base existed during World War II and beyond) were also guilty of dumping chemicals and effluent into the Bay.

Beginning in the late 70's--and accelerated by and with the help of the Aquarium and many who love the Bay and the area--Monterey Bay has been lovingly and spectacularly restored. It is now a place with a vibrant ecosystem, filled with hundreds of species of sea life and birds and plants, all interacting to support life in this beautiful place. The water is crystal clear, the air is clean and refreshing, and the pure enjoyment of taking it all in and immersing oneself in it is indescribable.

PW16-011_50d6d74b-c905-4c80-8c6b-87a641a9c58f-prv.jpg

For anyone interested in learning more, I recommend this book: The Death And Life Of Monterey Bay by Stephen Palumbi and Carolyn Sotka, published in 2011.

Better yet, get yourself a reservation at Hyatt Highlands Inn and get yourself marinated, like we did :)

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Gorgeous! It makes me want to go there!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Awesome testimonial @WalnutBaron

I may have posted this before but Mr H & I were on our annual Carmel trip this past April when we decided to give up our Maui trip for next March in favor of Carmel. (We had an exchange into Westin Kaanapali, which we’re letting friends use instead. But all bets may be off if we get an exchange into Hyatt Kaanapali, we may go after all...).

We enjoy Carmel more than Maui, which is saying a lot. So much so that we bought the unit adjacent to you at Hyatt Highlands Inn, same week. It will be awesome to see you there someday...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I need to get back to the Monterey Bay area. Dh and I honeymooned in Carmel and spent many weekends there along the years. It's one of the areas I miss since we've moved.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I enjoy Carmel more than Maui :) mostly because I can't go into the ocean and swim in Carmel.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My hometown. :) I live near Seattle now, but I was born in Monterey. It's a beautiful area.

Dave

DRIless

Reaction score
Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing!
I was a Charter Member of The Monterey Bay Aquarium, used to spend hours there with the 2yr old.
Still own a TS at Pine Acres Lodge, Monterey/Pacific Grove CA.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Great pictures, Baron.
We'll be there in 2 days!
I've never been to Carmel, and last time was about 15 years ago to Monterey.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I like how the larger houses out there have names.
I told DW that I thought it be cool to name our house.
"What?" she asked. I said, "How about, 'Doofus Reserve'."

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I like how the larger houses out there have names.
I told DW that I thought it be cool to name our house.
"What?" she asked. I said, "How about, 'Doofus Reserve'."
Even the smaller homes in Carmel have names. As I remember many of them don't really have addresses. Even for businesses they will say it's located between "such and such streets, on whatever street".

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We were there in San Francisco, Carmel, and Monterey 2 years ago, and we had a blast.
Monterey and Carmel were especially enjoyable, and downright beautiful.
The breathtaking & indescribable beauty of the drive along the Big Sur just blew us away.

San Francisco was not nearly as nice, however, as it was 30 years ago when I was last there,
but Carmel & Monterey still had charm to spare!!!
You're a lucky guy to live there.

That is, as long as the ground doesn't begin to quiver, or smoke isn't seen billowing in the distance,
or homes aren't sliding down the hills in the mud, etc......:)

Mike&Edie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to get a week (off a wonderful Tugger) a couple months ago. It was our second lucky trip off this same Tugger. We loved both times. We're local (Prunedale) and love being about a half hour away from home, but once at Highlands it feels so relaxing and restful. The staff go overboard to make sure your stay is great. We feel very blessed to live in such a beautiful area and are in awe every time we go into Monterey and can view the entire bay and its spectacular beauty.

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are spending a couple of days in Monterey (NPGS) this October. All golf courses look the same to me but, my husband proposed to me on the 18th hole at Pebble so your pictures brought back (fond?!) memories! Thanks for sharing.

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we must have been there the same week, right before the U.S. open. Just be aware when hiking out there, the poison oak is at epic levels this year. The volunteer ranger at Point Lobos said that’s because of the heavy rains this last winter. Basically all of the greenery that look like blackberry bushes. Wear long pants when hiking and wash your clothes and hands when you return.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Definitely a place I need to visit. Great pics.

Greg

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Absolutely amazing photos. We were fortunate to be members of the Aquarium for decades until the kids decided their friends were cooler than going to the Monterey Coast. I should suggest that we go together with their friends with new appreciation. Thank you for the stunning views.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Love the area. We travel to Monterey annually in Sept. Closing on Hyatt Highlands so we can enjoy the area even more.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Dh just entered a sweepstakes through BMW for several days in the area during the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. It would include transportation, lodging and entrance to several events. But, as he said.....don't hold your breath.

We went to the Concours some years back and had a great time.

GW2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great pics. Wife & I have 10 nights reserved during mid-November at Monterey & Pismo Beach. The best calamari sandwich in the world used to be at the Monterey airport terminal restaurant. I wonder if it still as good. I plan to find out.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
WalnutBrown, your pictures are beautiful. It has been awhile since we vacationed in California. It may be time to add that Monterey Bay area to our list.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I need to get back, I was there in 1970 for Basic training and AIT. I made it to Carmel for a weekend but other than that did not really get to enjoy the area. I was one of many forced to add lead to the dunes for target practice. I know they were trying to clean it all up a few years back.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For those who haven't been to San Francisco, Monterey, or Carmel, or driven along the spectacular Big Sur,
or visited the little town of Sausalito across the water, this is what you are missing:

Monterey CA...view from Monterey Marriott
upload_2019-6-25_23-25-10.png

Monterey

upload_2019-6-25_23-12-24.png

Near Monterey
upload_2019-6-26_0-20-11.png

Big Sur drive
upload_2019-6-25_23-3-42.png

Big Sur drive
upload_2019-6-25_23-6-28.png

Big Sur drive
upload_2019-6-25_23-9-28.png

Big Sur drive
upload_2019-6-25_23-10-10.png

Big Sur drive
upload_2019-6-25_23-11-13.png

Big Sur drive (other side of the road)
upload_2019-6-26_8-14-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-25_23-12-0.png
    upload_2019-6-25_23-12-0.png
    1 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Great photos! Thanks, jme. Just one small correction: Sausalito is an artist's colony town across the bay to the north of San Francisco, not Monterey. The town across Monterey Bay you may be thinking of is called Seaside.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in the area last month and stayed in Pacific Grove, between Monterey and Carmel. We loved it! Such a cute, safe, walkable town. We stayed in a private rental that I would highly recommend if you can't trade for a week there:

https://www.sanctuaryvacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/3717-butterfly-landing#.XROy3-hKhPY. If that link does not take you directly to the rental, go to the bottom of the home page and put in: 3717 Butterfly Landing.

The house is really charming, very clean, and completely redone. We could walk to downtown, Lover's Point and the beach trail, grocery stores, good restaurants, even to the Monterey Aquarium and Cannery Row (about a mile) along the Monterey Bay Coastal Recreation Trail. https://www.cityofpacificgrove.org/living/recreation/parks/coastal-recreation-trail

We had deer in the yard every morning. We parked the car and did not drive for three days. My husband says it is a true vacation day when you don't drive anywhere. Some of our party rented bikes (the less fit rented electric ones ) and rode to Carmel and had lunch there. Riding a bike was a good thing too, as parking was next to impossible. And I FINALLY got to see sea otters in the wild. I was quite thrilled and spent some time watching them. A volunteer on shore was observing them and noting observations, and let me watch through her very powerful scope for awhile.

I would love to return soon, especially when the butterflys are wintering over, October- February.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Great photos! Thanks, jme. Just one small correction: Sausalito is an artist's colony town across the bay to the north of San Francisco, not Monterey. The town across Monterey Bay you may be thinking of is called Seaside.

Yes, I know, but I simply said "across the water", but didn't say from where. Been there several times.
I have a second set of pics, and in one of them you can see the San Francisco skyline across the water from the street in Sausalito.
I couldn't get that set of pics to load, but I'm working on it.
My opening statement was referring to all the pictures, mentioning San Francisco first.
It just happened that my first picture was of Monterey, but I surely didn't mean Sausalito was across THAT water.

Thank you, though! I usually need all the help I can get!

Last edited: