• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sea World or Tuscany?

bdbradshaw

Reaction score
My wife and I have narrowed down our search to wanting our home base to be either Sea World or Tuscany. Any input from people that have been to one or to both would be much appreciated. We have 3 kids, 5, 3, and 9 months. Looks like Tuscany MF's are $113 a year more. Other than that, what would you pick and why? Thanks

jmann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World
We ended up at Sea World. Both are nice. We liked the bigger rooms. I think it is just your preference. If you like to shop on vacation, Tuscany is within walking distance of the outlet malls and I think may be a little close to the Disney parks.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
My wife and I have narrowed down our search to wanting our home base to be either Sea World or Tuscany. Any input from people that have been to one or to both would be much appreciated. We have 3 kids, 5, 3, and 9 months. Looks like Tuscany MF's are $113 a year more. Other than that, what would you pick and why? Thanks

Can I ask why you want either of those to as your home base? Are you wanting the home booking advantage you get from buying there?

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I don't own at either one, so I can't help with the financial part of the deal.

I've stayed at both, but it was a long time ago. Check out Google maps and look at what is near each resort. Both have the opportunity to walk to dinner, a convenience store, etc. Of course you can walk to Sea World from the Sea World resort.

Check the bedding that is assigned to the second bedroom at each resort. For some reason I think that one has a king, and the other one has two queens.

I liked the driving access at Sea World a little better. It is very easy to get on and off the freeway when headed to Disney. Check Google maps.

Both resorts are wonderful, and I think you would be happy with the resort aspect at either place.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It's really not necessary to choose either for the home-week booking advantage.
All HGVC Orlando resorts have plenty of units available throughout club season.

We've owned at SeaWorld since 2007 and never once booked it as a home week.
But we stay at Tuscany more. It feels more sophisticated and connected to stuff.
But we like SeaWorld as it seems more resort-y. And Parc Soleil is nice, too.

bdbradshaw

Reaction score
Can I ask why you want either of those to as your home base? Are you wanting the home booking advantage you get from buying there?

The timeshare agent (not with Hilton) thought it would be best to buy where we would vacation more(not the resort particularly) but my wife is worried that time slots would be taken. I'm looking for the best deal.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The timeshare agent (not with Hilton) thought it would be best to buy where we would vacation more(not the resort particularly) but my wife is worried that time slots would be taken. I'm looking for the best deal.

Generally speaking, Orlando is pretty easy to book. There is the train of thought that says buy where you want to go, but you may not always want to go to Orlando. You can get some really good deals with great MF/point ratios in Vegas, even if you never want to go there. Orlando has decent MF/point ratios, but Vegas will get you more bang for your buck. MF’s in Vegas are generally $200-$400 per year cheaper than in Orlando. With those differences, you will make up a $1000 difference in price in 3-5 years.

As your kids get older, you may want to explore other resorts. We are currently at Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach and are having a great time! We have a 19, 15 and 9 year old and they are so glad they came here over Orlando!

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch

I'd look at Vegas, but not Elara or Trump. Flamingo doesn't have ROFR, LV on the Boulevard has lowest fees, but likely higher buy-in due to ROFR propping up prices.

Points are points. I went with the LV on the Boulevard property because the MFs are low and will likely stay that way for awhile as it remains in sales with a developer subsidy.

One note on the 12 month booking advantage is that it only works for your season and unit size for the full Saturday to Saturday week. If you want 5 days, or a 3 bedroom, or some other change, you are looking at 9 months out just like the rest of us. Might as well save money and enjoy flexibility.

I've been to both Sea World and Tuscany and, while I like them both, I prefer Tuscany. Never had a problem getting the unit size and dates I wanted at either. Just plan in advance. Attached is a screenshot of Tuscany 9 months out, showing 100% availability in every room type, including Spring Break dates.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 9.11.45 PM.png

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I'd look at Vegas, but not Elara or Trump. Flamingo doesn't have ROFR, LV on the Boulevard has lowest fees, but likely higher buy-in due to ROFR propping up prices.

Points are points. I went with the LV on the Boulevard property because the MFs are low and will likely stay that way for awhile as it remains in sales with a developer subsidy.

One note on the 12 month booking advantage is that it only works for your season and unit size for the full Saturday to Saturday week. If you want 5 days, or a 3 bedroom, or some other change, you are looking at 9 months out just like the rest of us. Might as well save money and enjoy flexibility.

I've been to both Sea World and Tuscany and, while I like them both, I prefer Tuscany. Never had a problem getting the unit size and dates I wanted at either. Just plan in advance. Attached is a screenshot of Tuscany 9 months out, showing 100% availability in every room type, including Spring Break dates.

View attachment 12556
I heard that Boulevard was sold out and that is why HGVC is exercising on a lot of rofr as they have a timeshare selling machine there and need a constant supply of inventory. Is that not the case? I did not see any evidence of developer subsidy. Do you have any more information about this?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

View attachment 12556

Depending on the room designation, even Elara has pretty good MF’s for just points. A 1 bedroom Grand (7000 points) has MF’s of $883 right now. Generally speaking, Elara is more, but the room designations can give you an advantage.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club

I bought Sea World platinum week (7000 points, 2BR) resale for a very low price on EBay and it has been an excellent purchase. You are more likely to get a better deal on SW than Tuscany. SW resort is the best one for families with younger kids and is easier to book 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units. The pools are excellent and location and parking are great. I would say Tuscany and Parc Soleil are good for families with teens. Las Palmeras feels the most like a “hotel” (since it started as a Westin) and is not as kid-friendly.

Having stayed at all Orlando HGVC resorts countless times, it is rare not to find inventory (even last minute) so it’s not imperative to own there.

Good luck!

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I heard that Boulevard was sold out and that is why HGVC is exercising on a lot of rofr as they have a timeshare selling machine there and need a constant supply of inventory. Is that not the case? I did not see any evidence of developer subsidy. Do you have any more information about this?

I haven't heard that it is sold out. ROFR prices are much lower than they were 5-7 years ago, so I'm not sure it matters.

The subsidy is listed in the annual financial report.

bdbradshaw

Reaction score

View attachment 12556

Thank you very much for that. We also have interest in going to Breckenridge but I assume those dates book up pretty quick. Where did you buy from? Would you be hesitant to buy from eBay and any idea on what price per point that Hilton won't let you sell it for?

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you very much for that. We also have interest in going to Breckenridge but I assume those dates book up pretty quick. Where did you buy from? Would you be hesitant to buy from eBay and any idea on what price per point that Hilton won't let you sell it for?

Breckenridge isn’t as wide open, but I don’t own there and I typically visit 3-4 times a year.

I bought my current HGVC from Judi Kozlowski. My Hyatt I bought on eBay and my previous 3 HGVC that I’ve since sold over the years, I purchased on eBay. Google and TUG are your friends when looking into seller reputation.

ROFR is a moving target at the resorts where it is exercised, and I haven’t been in the HGVC market for a couple years, so I’ll let others answer what ROFR is today. When I first started looking for a 7k Platinum at LV Boulevard in 2011, I had ROFR exercised on $13,500, but now I own a 3BR+ 9,600 point platinum that beat ROFR at $12k a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Here is a copy from the financial statements. If I am reading this right the Boulevard is sold out and the developer is no longer subsidizing:

"Pursuant to Nevada law, the Developer has agreed to subsidize through December 31, 2018, the difference between the actual costs incurred in operating the Project, taking into account all revenue received by the Association and all amounts paid and payable by owners other than the Developer with respect to such operating costs, in order to keep amounts payable by owners other than the Developer at an amount comparable to the amount payable by owners if all 714 units were in operation. The Developer reserves the right, but not the obligation, to extend and increase the amount of this guarantee for one or more periods of one-year each, after the expiration of the guarantee period, as permitted by Nevada law. During the year ended December 31, 2018, the Developer had no obligation under the subsidy agreement. As of December 31, 2018, the Developer owned no ownership interests."

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

As a first time buyer, I wouldn’t recommend buying eBay. There are a couple of good resellers there, but too much could go wrong and if you haven’t been through the process yet, you won’t be able to see those issues coming. If you do purchase through eBay, make sure research the seller thoroughly on google and here on Tug. As far as price goes, there is no magic number on ROFR, but $1 a point for a platinum 2 bedroom seems to be a great start. It doesn’t cost you any money if HGVC ROFRs the purchase so you can keep trying until you get one. They generally seem to exercise ROFR less later in the year.

Last edited: