• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wanting to buy, need help.

bdbradshaw

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at purchasing a timeshare. Last year we sat through an IHG presentation in Orlando, the timing wasn't right and the cost was more than we wanted to pay. Fast forward a year and the timing is much better. We have 3 kids under 5, and are leaning towards Hilton, partly because I'm a diamond member and I'm familiar with them. We are open to other but want to make sure we get what we need moving forward.

We like to vacation a little of everywhere, but beaches and ski trips will probably be in the future for sure. We spoke to someone from Marriott today and they wanted 32k for 2,500 points with MF's of $1655 a year. We are only looking at the resale market now. Would like to spend around 10k with MF's of $1000-$1500. What would everyone recommend? I greatly appreciate the help.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I would read the stickies to learn the differences about the different TS Companies. We went the Westin/Hyatt route.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My wife and I are looking at purchasing a timeshare. Last year we sat through an IHG presentation in Orlando, the timing wasn't right and the cost was more than we wanted to pay. Fast forward a year and the timing is much better. We have 3 kids under 5, and are leaning towards Hilton, partly because I'm a diamond member and I'm familiar with them. We are open to other but want to make sure we get what we need moving forward.

We like to vacation a little of everywhere, but beaches and ski trips will probably be in the future for sure. We spoke to someone from Marriott today and they wanted 32k for 2,500 points with MF's of $1655 a year. We are only looking at the resale market now. Would like to spend around 10k with MF's of $1000-$1500. What would everyone recommend? I greatly appreciate the help.
If you decide on HGVC (Hilton) I would suggest looking at their affiliates in southwest Florida or myrtle Beach locations within their system and buying a fixed week. The southwest Florida and Myrtle Beach locations will give you the beach. Before you know it your children will be in school and by buying a fixed week that falls on holidays that your children have off will guarantee you have the week or you can always use the points for something else.

I love HGVC. I chose them because they had locations I preferred, their prices and maintenance fees were also reasonable.

obiomach

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
You honestly came to the right place to find a timeshare for what you are looking for. Between this place, ebay, sumdayvacations, and myresortnetwork, you will find what you need. The main advice I can give you is be patient and play the long game. You can get what you want for an extremely reasonable price. Around this time of year people are taking their vacations and enjoying their timeshare. Around Sept.-November, they want to sell and unload their timeshare before they have to pay their maintenance fees. That's the ideal time to buy a timeshare for pennies. I've been looking to purchase another timeshare and people are charging a lot at this point in the year because inventory is low. Again most people are using their timeshares now. But the three resales I've bought have been around the fall timeframe. Please continue to do research on the TS system you like the most. Regardless of what system you pick, pay attention to the maintenance fees. You want those as low as possible, but still being able to take the quality vacations you like. Also If you are a member, place the timeshare you're looking for on the wishlist. Someone will reach out to you that's ready to get out of their timeshare. I own at Grandview Las Vegas 122K every year. The maintenance fees are $835 a year. I bought it resale for $1200 with 244K banked points after putting out a wishlist ad on tug. I happily paid the $550 in closing for it. I hope that helps. You don't have to spend $10k, nor should you.

Stephbrew11

Reaction score

e.bram

Reaction score
On the TUG marketplace there is fixed summer week for sale in Newport Overlook in Jamestown RI. It is a super great deal!About $2000.00
PS. I am not the owner!

RealtyDawn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Parkway

RealtyDawn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[DELETED: Advertising]

Last edited by a moderator:

elizabeth85

Reaction score
If you decide on HGVC (Hilton) I would suggest looking at their affiliates in southwest Florida or myrtle Beach locations within their system and buying a fixed week. The southwest Florida and Myrtle Beach locations will give you the beach. Before you know it your children will be in school and by buying a fixed week that falls on holidays that your children have off will guarantee you have the week or you can always use the points for something else.

I love HGVC. I chose them because they had locations I preferred, their prices and maintenance fees were also reasonable.

I also love HGVC.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

It seems MVC is super expensive to buy into, even at resale. HGVC has decent resale rules in terms of booking I think. Don’t know much about it. I would figure out where you want to go first and how often and what accommodations. Buy into a program that has good resale rules with booking other resorts in network, and destinations you want to actually go to. No sense buying some random resort with terrible trading.

Hecdiaz1

Reaction score

Look into Wyndham. You probably want to buy around 200,000-300,000 points. MF on that should be anywhere from $1000-$1500.
That should be enough for 1-2 weeks in a 1 bedroom presidential unit or a 2-3 bedroom depending on location.
For ski season you have Park City UT, Smugglers Notch Vermont VT, Avon CO, Steamboat Springs CO, Lake Tahoe NV, etc.
Lots of beaches options. My favorite ones are in the panhandle area but you also have options in Puerto Rico, ST Thomas USVI and many more. You can probably buy that many points for around $1000-3000 including closing and transfer so it’s very affordable.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Buy Westin St. John resort. It’s mandatory which means you can use the points to go to Cancun, Hawaii etc.

bdbradshaw

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. We had an offer accepted last week on a Hilton resale, and are waiting to see if it passes ROFR. If it doesn’t, I’d be open to seeing what other brands have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIMike

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2 connecting units (A & B) at Vacation Village at Parkway near Disney for week 35 which is over the Labor Day weekend, good on even years. Would be interested in talking with you, check out what Parkway has to offer and if it looks like a good fit... let's talk.

Hi Realty Dawn,
How do we go about selling our unit at Vacation Village at Parkway, week 21?
Sincerely,
RIMike

RealtyDawn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good question I'm trying to sell [redacted]. I've listed mine here onTug, had one bite and have not heard anything back from them once I responded. Good luck Dawn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
What's the story with the mandatory/voluntary at the Westin St. John resort in the Virgin Islands? I read on here that only the Hillside villas have starOptions (Mandatory). Then I saw something about Bay Vista being possibly Mandatory. These are two divisions at the WSJ resort. Also, if you buy resale, and you get starOptions, can you combine them with your Voluntary (developer purchased) options? It's all rather confusing. And if you buy a resale at the Hillside villas in St. John, can you book different weeks? It seems that these sold originally for particular weeks... anyone know the correct story?