• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seven motorcyclists are dead after colliding with a pickup truck in New Hampshire

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying that this was anything more than a tragic accident. Thoughts with the families of the deceased. May they find peace.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I have to believe there is some negligence on the part of the truck driver, probably not paying attention to his driving. The truck is crashed on the opposite side of the road from direction of travel, its obvious he lost control and crossed the center line.

When you are driving a 3/4 ton pickup pulling a gooseneck vehicle trailer there has to be a higher level of attention paid, its not like driving a car.

23 yrs old and he walks away and is now not answering his phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I have to believe there is some negligence on the part of the truck driver, probably not paying attention to his driving. The truck is crashed on the opposite side of the road from direction of travel, its obvious he lost control and crossed the center line.

When you are driving a 3/4 ton pickup pulling a gooseneck vehicle trailer there has to be a higher level of attention paid, its not like driving a car.

Correct. Sounds like negligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

As driving the opposite direction is quite illegal, the accident was probably negligence per se. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligence_per_se

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Amazingly, there is a survivor, and she says it was just "all fire."

tragic

We've lived on winding rural roads for more than 20 years, and meeting vehicles on our side of the center line, speeding also, is a regular occurrence.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A Tragic story, Negligence! I hope the families sued this truck driver for 900 million dollars.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A Tragic story, Negligence! I hope the families sued this truck driver for 900 million dollars.

Unfortunately, unless the driver was an irresponsible rich kid, the bikers’ family won’t see all the money the need.

If driver had auto insurance, he likely had only the bare minimum. So each biker or his/her family will get about $7,600 from the driver’s insurance. See page bates-numbered 1 at https://www.nh.gov/insurance/consumers/documents/nh_auto_guide.pdf ($50k bodily injury coverage, plus $25k property damage coverage, plus $1k medical coverage, $76k total divided by 10)

Looks like the transport company was bonded. My best guess is that the transport company was $1 million bonded. This means that each of the seven deceased biker’s family would get around $140k, while each of the three survived biker’s would get around $7k. https://www.quicktransportsolutions...tts/westfield-transport-inc-usdot-2896429.php.

The biker’s families will likely each see some payouts from their own insurance’s underinsured coverage, if purchased. Thank USAA, popular with vets, for its relatively low rates.

I know you’re all thinking about lawsuit recovery or collection. Unfortunately, collection is limited to 25 percent of a person’s weekly earnings OVER $217.50. Something tells me the driver doesn’t make that much money, so there won’t be much to recover.

Additionally, the driver may bankrupt all judgments, as well the transport company once all insurance exhausted.

God bless, prayers for, and wishes for the families. But it doesn’t look like they will recover everything they need.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

I have not read anything that says it was definitively the truck driver's fault. Assumptions on little information is dangerous. I assume if the accident was caused by one or two of the motorcycle riders you would agree their families should pay millions to the young truck driver for psychological damages.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I came through there today on my way home from Vermont. It is a stretch of highway that is easy to be distracted. Mountain vistas everywhere....Mount Washington in easy sight. Even if there is no technology involved, it's easy to let your eyes wander from the road.

The state police were on site taking pictures and trying to do their work. Motorcycle people everywhere. A sad situation on all counts.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not read anything that says it was definitively the truck driver's fault. Assumptions on little information is dangerous. I assume if the accident was caused by one or two of the motorcycle riders you would agree their families should pay millions to the young truck driver for psychological damages.

The pickup truck was driving the wrong way. There’s a reason why driving the wrong way is against the law - to prevent tragedies such as this.
e8be30539c670510bbe266e678a5b532.jpg

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Additionally, the legal system does not require “definitive” proof to assign legal damages or blame, just “preponderance of the evidence.” Heck, even a guilty verdict requires “beyond a reasonable doubt,” not definitiveness. There is enough proof to assign blame to the pickup driver driving the wrong way via the negligence per se legal doctrine. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligence_per_se

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Under no state or legal doctrine would the family of independent, legal adult driver causing an accident be responsible for millions, let alone tens of thousands, in psychological damages to an accident victim.

Certainly, the family of the pickup truck driver driving the wrong way causing seven deaths isn’t paying the families of the victims, dead Marines who honorably served this country.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a motorcycle death in our little town yesterday too. Typical scenario - truck taking a left and didn't see the bike coming straight down the road. I caught myself yesterday being more observant of the bikes on the road while driving.....something every driver should do. Heck, we should all be more observant of everything.

DH and I use to ride all over NH with our bikes. I enjoyed riding. But, then kiddo came along and well...you can't strap a car seat to the back of one. I eventually sold mine a few years ago after no use. DH still has his, wish he would sell it, not for the safety, but because is simply doesn't get used anymore.

Every now and then he wants to take me for ice cream on it - I refuse....always have since kiddo was born, I won't get on the back of his because if something is going to wipe the bike out, I don't want both of us on it.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
No one know right now knows /whom is responsible or what happened. You can't assume it was the truck driver. I have not seen reports on the news that the truck driver was driving in the wrong direction- though that could certainly be the case.

All it would take is one cyclist in the lead to cross over the line and the others would go down like bowling pins.

Motorcycles do not have fender benders. They are body benders.

A very sad tragedy.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No one know right now knows /whom is responsible or what happened. You can't assume it was the truck driver. I have not seen reports on the news that the truck driver was driving in the wrong direction- though that could certainly be the case.

All it would take is one cyclist in the lead to cross over the line and the others would go down like bowling pins.

Motorcycles do not have fender benders. They are body benders.

A very sad tragedy.

Multiple news outlets reported that the truck driver was driving in the wrong direction. The truck driver has had the chance to correct any reported facts and chose not to.
3d223a5a5e2af01d216cd9b9a2f9e1dc.jpg

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
To be fair..."opposite direction" doesn't necessarily mean "wrong direction." The accident was on a curve in front of the Inn at Bowman. It's a two lane highway. It's not like driving down a 4 lane interstate in the opposite lane. It truly looked as though the driver of the truck crossed the line anticipating the curve, not thinking anyone would be on the other side, or maybe drifted across looking at either the phone or mountain scenery.

Doesn't really matter, does it? 7 people are dead. The other 3 will live with it forever. No amount of lawyers or compensation is going to change that.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
As driving the opposite direction is quite illegal, the accident was probably negligence per se. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligence_per_se

Multiple news outlets reported that the truck driver was driving in the wrong direction. The truck driver has had the chance to correct any reported facts and chose not to

When these articles state the truck was traveling the opposite direction it doesn’t necessarily mean it was doing so in the biker’s lane. All traffic was traveling in the opposite direction.

Your snippet of an article that said the truck was driving in the wrong direction is the only one I have seen that said that. I found the article (People) and I believe they are in error by making that assumption as no officials have stated that as fact. It certainly looks like it since the truck ended up on the other side of the road but one possible scenario is that the lead biker crossed the line causing the truck to swerve. It is simply too early to jump to conclusions.

New Hampshire State Police Col. Chris Wagner said at a Saturday news conference. "It's going to be a very lengthy investigation."