• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

National Senior Games: Olympics for people over 50, I won two gold medals!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I had never heard of the National Senior Games until a year ago. I was planning a bike race in Tahoe last June but my race got cancelled. I had organized a vacation around this race and it just so happened that the National Senior Games qualifying races were happening that same week, around 30 miles from home. So on a whim, since I was off work anyway, I raced the qualifiers and did well enough to make it into the National Games this year.

Long events are my forte and these races were short- a 5K and a 10K race, about 7-8 minutes and 15-16 minutes, respectively. I am also bad with heat and altitude, and the National Games were in Albuquerque (5800 ft elevation) in June (hot). My expectations were low. Nonetheless, I went all in and literally spent a year prepping for these races. I thought it would be an interesting challenge to prep for something outside your wheelhouse (but not so far outside as to be unrealistic).

My coach predicted my times and that I’d make the podium in both races, I was polite and did not argue with him but thought it was a pipe dream. Based on the record books, I expected to finish mid pack. But races times are way faster at altitude and in the heat (both make the air thinner and my races are time trials, just a race against the clock in which the air is your biggest enemy, aerodynamics rule and thin air is faster up to the point where there’s not enough oxygen to perform well).

Coach was spot on in his predictions and I went a little faster even than he predicted. Won both my races by a comfortable margin, got two gold medals and even made it into the 5K record books for the 8th fastest time ever in my age group (50-54 years old). It was so cool, both my races were personal best times for me, exactly how you hope things would go when racing on a big stage. My prep was perfect, I really give credit to my coach for getting it just right.

I had a number of friends racing too, it was really fun to hang out with them this past week. We hosted two bike-racer dinner parties in our rental and went to a 3rd lunch party at someone else’s rental. My friends did well in the races too. One got a bronze in his time trial and a silver in a road race, one got 8th in a road race, one got top eight in all four races and yet another friend got silver and 5th in the road races.

Coach wound up getting a bronze in the 5k time trial, a race in which he tied a mutual friend (with times measured to the tenth of a second!) for the bronze and 1st through 5th places were all within one second of each other. Then he got a silver in the 10k time trial. He competed in two road races, on the first day his finish was an absolute cluster. He was in position to sprint for the gold but traffic control got messed up and there was a line of 10 vehicles that had gotten onto the course and stopped right at the finish. The vehicles were confused and trying to get out of the way at the last minute, he had to pull up to avoid a pick up truck and came in 10th. It was completely dangerous, someone could have been killed.

He was so mad that he almost didn’t race the next day, but the race organizers assured everyone they’d fixed the traffic control issue. In the second road race, he got into a two man breakaway in lap one and they managed to keep the field away for the entire rest of the race. It was so cool to watch him sprint for the gold at the end and win by a few bike lengths.

This was such a fun event. Fourteen thousand athletes competing in a variety of athletic events, including 450 people racing the cycling events. Amazing to see the athleticism of these 50+ athletes. And so cool to race with people from literally every corner of the USA. I’ve never competed on a national stage before. Of course, it was really awesome to exceed expectations too.

Pics are me on the top step of the podium for the 5k race, coming into the finish of the 10k race and posing with coach in the backyard of our Albuquerque rental with our matching time trial bikes and wearing our TT medals.

83EAA88F-42D0-47A4-A1CE-B2B46FF5BE0E.jpeg
0F72FC97-C057-4A64-B061-0ED202AE9828.jpeg

C2ED7F8C-30F9-4FD5-B831-3B8529CE50AF.jpeg

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Congratulations! :cheer:

There is a woman here in Santa Fe who is part of an organization I belong to. She regularly competes in the Senior Games and this year was one of the torch bearers. We are all very proud of her.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Congrats to you on your achievements! Did the dog win too?

-ryan

The dog is my podium girl, I bring her up with me whenever I make it. She snuck a kiss to the cheek of the bronze medalist when I wasn’t looking, one of those really cute moments at the races.

Another totally funny thing. When I arrived at my 10k race, I get out of the car and the guy parked next to me asks me if I want some maple syrup.

Wut?

Turns out he is from Minnesota and produces maple syrup on his farm up there. Yes, I bought a pint.

I get to talking to the guy, asking him what he expects from the race. He tells me he’s 84 and has done all the prep, including 3 weeks of altitude training in Colorado Springs just prior to Albuquerque. But he’s got a bad back and doesn’t have the flexibility any more to get into a good aerodynamic time trial position, so he’s targeting the road races (where aerodynamics matters just as much but you achieve aero by drafting off others rather than racing in a super low position which requires good flexibility).

So how awesome is that? 84 years old. Training camp in the Rockies. A month of travel for four races. And selling maple syrup out of your car to offset expenses. I am in love with this guy.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Congratulations. I have a co-worker that is also there for indoor volleyball.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Congratulations!

Wow, how exciting, one of our own, a Tugger with such a fabulous achievement.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
So how awesome is that? 84 years old. Training camp in the Rockies. A month of travel for four races. And selling maple syrup out of your car to offset expenses. I am in love with this guy.
I am just amazed and inspired by these athletes. Did you hear about the 103 year old woman, Julia "Hurricane" Hawkins, who is setting records? She didn't start running until she was 100.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I am just amazed and inspired by these athletes. Did you hear about the 103 year old woman, Julia "Hurricane" Hawkins, who is setting records? She didn't start running until she was 100.

Yes I was reading about her. So many things about these Senior Games just make me think: “How cool is this?”. I’m just a young pup at the games but some of these folks have been competing 20+ years already. I am in awe of them. Big respect!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations are definitely in order for you, but the guy selling maple syrup is my HERO! May you ALL keep it up. My DW's #2 son is competing in Iron Man triathlons at 45. I think he's nutz and he thinks the same of me. We get along.
All the Best!

Jim

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Awesome! Congratulations!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What a fantastic achievement! And here all this time I thought you were more of a mountain biker. Who knew? Congratulations! That really is something to be proud of. Your pup is lucky to have you. ;)

Dave

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Sure beats the hell out of the 2 mph we have been managing on WV trails this week.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Awesome indeed!! I'd like to add my name to the list offering congrats and kudos. You are an inspiration to many of us.

Best. Regards.

Richard.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
congratulations. i have never thought about competing in senior games. i would never win but maybe i could qualify and that would be good enough for me. keep up the racing and post more pictures. i love the maple syrup guy too.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Good for you!!!!

It's good to continue being fit, or fitter, regardless of age.

Hurricane Hawkins was on the national evening news this week.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Congrats! That's awesome :)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
WOW! That is awesome! Congratulations! :)

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Well done! Thanks for taking us along in the detailed write-up! I'm feeling inspired! :)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Congratulations @heathpack ! I've followed your posts from starting to ride, to riding seriously, and now to winning medals! You are a testament to the "anything is possible" mantra. Well done.