• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2019 WKORVN Arrival

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are arriving Saturday and excited to begin our trip. Pick up the Werental car, load up at Costco and head straight to the Westin. We pre-reserved a stand up paddle board from 808. Looking forward to morning runs down the boardwalk and hitting the gym (may check out the one at Nanea). Looking forward to meeting other families at the pool, walk-out snorkeling, breakfast at the Gazebo, walks along the cliffs by the Ritz and local sushi (local discounts?), plus Star Noodle, grilling fish with blender smoothies at the best waterfront grills on the beach in front of the South side.

I would love to share tips for the trip. We haven't been in a few years, so let us know anything cool to check out or any arrival day must-do rituals while still in Kahului. Also, I'm sure we'll have some leave behinds for the next family the following Saturday.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
First thing you'll notice is the new trolley that takes you from the bag claim area across the road to the new rental car center. Then you will notice you are on the new Lahaina bypass as you head towards Kaanapali. I call it the Star Noodle bypass because the road loops around Star Noodle - you can see it off in the distance.

Last edited:

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
First thing you'll notice is the new trolley that takes you from the bag claim area across the road to the new rental car center. Then you will notice you are on the new Lanai bypass as you head towards Kaanapali. I call it the Star Noodle bypass because the road loops around Star Noodle - you can see it off in the distance.
Thanks Sea Six. We reserved via Costco which seemed to have the lowest rates with the best terms for married drivers. Do folks recommend other options?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sea Six. We reserved via Costco which seemed to have the lowest rates with the best terms for married drivers. Do folks recommend other options?
So, clymberz, you've already compared Costco's rates with discounthawaiicarrental.com? In May, we cancelled a previous reservation and made a new one on the night before our trip! Enjoy your trip to Maui!! CJ

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
So, clymberz, you've already compared Costco's rates with discounthawaiicarrental.com? In May, we cancelled a previous reservation and made a new one on the night before our trip! Enjoy your trip to Maui!! CJ

Discount... was much more expensive for my last trip to Hawaii. Autoslash kept finding me lower rates, tho, so that I ultimately paid less than half my original reservation cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We are arriving Saturday and excited to begin our trip. Pick up the Werental car, load up at Costco and head straight to the Westin. We pre-reserved a stand up paddle board from 808. Looking forward to morning runs down the boardwalk and hitting the gym (may check out the one at Nanea). Looking forward to meeting other families at the pool, walk-out snorkeling, breakfast at the Gazebo, walks along the cliffs by the Ritz and local sushi (local discounts?), plus Star Noodle, grilling fish with blender smoothies at the best waterfront grills on the beach in front of the South side.

I would love to share tips for the trip. We haven't been in a few years, so let us know anything cool to check out or any arrival day must-do rituals while still in Kahului. Also, I'm sure we'll have some leave behinds for the next family the following Saturday.
We tried a few new fun places this trip Happy hour at Merrimans. The best Mai Tais on the island IMO, Mala's Happy hr. both incredible views. Willie K is playing at Kimos this week also. Rooftop at Fleetwoods for music and sunset is also fun. We loved our Lanai trip this time. Tons of dolphins and snorkeling with turtles. Have fun! This is our first day back after a month there and we are having withdrawal.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then you will notice you are on the new Lanai bypass as you head towards Kaanapali.

I assume you mean the Lahaina bypass road that opened about a year ago ... Lanai is not accessible by land from Maui AFAIK. Or were you referring to something new that I wasn't aware of?

-ryan

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
AutoSlash worked for me as well. Got the same size Hertz car for half the price directly from Hertz, or even less than AAA which I normally use.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Autoslash/Priceline by far had the best rate over several downward rebookings from price alerts. Now have a standard size SUV for 8 days for $375 with Advantage or $434 with Alamo. Will likely go with Alamo because it includes spouse to drive and low/no pick-up line to wait. Frequently checked Costco and discount Hawaii Car rental and still not as good. However Discount Hawaii was not too much higher. Costco was twice the price for an SUV.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
MauiBus - $4, bet you can't beat that price :)

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reminder to check discount Hawaii I have used them in the past and got a great deal. This time Costco had them beat with a RAV4 for 220 and 300 out the door. I like the extra trunk space in the RAV4 but the open trunk is a liability on the Road to Hana and needs to be empty.

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We tried a few new fun places this trip Happy hour at Merrimans. The best Mai Tais on the island IMO, Mala's Happy hr. both incredible views. Willie K is playing at Kimos this week also. Rooftop at Fleetwoods for music and sunset is also fun. We loved our Lanai trip this time. Tons of dolphins and snorkeling with turtles. Have fun! This is our first day back after a month there and we are having withdrawal.

Thanks for the great ideas TucsonAdventurer. I am making a note. After vacations, I like to mark my photos as favorites on Google Photos then use Chromecast to rotate through them on my TV. Instant attitude adjustment!

Speaking of drinks, I am trying to go low carb. I would love suggestions on bars that make drinks using real fruit instead of sugar. I may just have to make my own pina coladas in the room from fruit bought at costco. But don't worry, I absolutely won't bring down alcoholic versions to the pool in a plastic drink container. If it looks like I have Miller 55 in a plastic cup by my pool chair, I assure you it is just apple juice, perhaps a bit foamy from being jostled on the way down.

:)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the great ideas TucsonAdventurer. I am making a note. After vacations, I like to mark my photos as favorites on Google Photos then use Chromecast to rotate through them on my TV. Instant attitude adjustment!

Speaking of drinks, I am trying to go low carb. I would love suggestions on bars that make drinks using real fruit instead of sugar. I may just have to make my own pina coladas in the room from fruit bought at costco. But don't worry, I absolutely won't bring down alcoholic versions to the pool in a plastic drink container. If it looks like I have Miller 55 in a plastic cup by my pool chair, I assure you it is just apple juice, perhaps a bit foamy from being jostled on the way down.

:)
Merriman's Mai Tai was made from fresh lime juice so I asked the Westin bartender to make me one that way. He did but it didn't quite taste like Merrimans. He was very nice and went outof his way to accommodate so you can special request them to meet your needs. Enjoy!

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
all sounds so wonderful. i did bring my own real maple syrup to the gazebo and then passed it around for others to use since they only offer the fake stuff. best breakfast, making me hungry.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Have you used this? We need transportation Saturday from airport to WKORVN.

Yes we always use it (if we land between 10am and 4pm) but it's not for everyone as the main drawback is you are limited to carry on size cases so not for those that are heavy packers or have surf boards or want to go to Costco etc. You have to take a bus from the airport into Kahului, from there to Lahaina then it used to be from Lahaina to Whalers Village and then the Starwood shuttle but you can probably just do the shuttle from Wharf St in Lahaina now if it still goes there. They say no cases on the shuttle but are usually OK with carry on sized ones, especially as they have a hidden 'trunk'.

Sometimes we have just done a rental car for a day if we are overloaded and want to go to Costco. I return it the next day and then take a leisurely Maui bus back to the resort. I then do the same again in reverse at the end of our stay. Again not for everyone, especially if you feel you 'need' a car but you can get about the island on the bus (Kahului, Kihei, Kula) at 'island' pace and save yourself a lot of money if you are there for a lengthy period of time.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes we always use it (if we land between 10am and 4pm) but it's not for everyone as the main drawback is you are limited to carry on size cases so not for those that are heavy packers or have surf boards or want to go to Costco etc. You have to take a bus from the airport into Kahului, from there to Lahaina then it used to be from Lahaina to Whalers Village and then the Starwood shuttle but you can probably just do the shuttle from Wharf St in Lahaina now if it still goes there. They say no cases on the shuttle but are usually OK with carry on sized ones, especially as they have a hidden 'trunk'.

Sometimes we have just done a rental car for a day if we are overloaded and want to go to Costco. I return it the next day and then take a leisurely Maui bus back to the resort. I then do the same again in reverse at the end of our stay. Again not for everyone, especially if you feel you 'need' a car but you can get about the island on the bus (Kahului, Kihei, Kula) at 'island' pace and save yourself a lot of money if you are there for a lengthy period of time.
We rented a car and turned it in at the Kaanapali rental for a $20 ish fee. There are 2 drop off places one near Hyatt and one across from Nanea. Easypeasey. We could never make it with 2 carry ons lol.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We rented a car and turned it in at the Kaanapali rental for a $20 ish fee. There are 2 drop off places one near Hyatt and one across from Nanea. Easypeasey. We could never make it with 2 carry ons lol.

I did that years ago and it was great, but the last few times I had it quoted it was quite expensive. Where did you rent?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did that years ago and it was great, but the last few times I had it quoted it was quite expensive. Where did you rent?

We went through auto slash Hertz. Hertz has a drop off at Hyatt Regency

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can also reserve a car once you are there in Kaanapali through Enterprise off the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal across from Nanea. We paid 16000 points for 10 days which is incredibly reasonable but this can only be dropped off in Kaanapali.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

So what is the amount of time from you leaving the airport until you arrive at WKORV/N?

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Merriman's Mai Tai was made from fresh lime juice so I asked the Westin bartender to make me one that way. He did but it didn't quite taste like Merrimans. He was very nice and went outof his way to accommodate so you can special request them to meet your needs. Enjoy!

Fresh lime juice sounds divine. Maybe Westin couldn't replicate Merriman's lilikoi foam? ;-)

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
all sounds so wonderful. i did bring my own real maple syrup to the gazebo and then passed it around for others to use since they only offer the fake stuff. best breakfast, making me hungry.

Sacrilege! You didn't use their world famous macademia syrup??? :-o seriously, though you can feed an army at the Gazebo. Best views though...

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned