• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui for a Senior

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I leave for Maui tomorrow, staying near Kaanapali, have a car. I will be joined by my friend and her 70 year old aunt. Their first trip, my 10th. "Auntie" is only staying 3 nights. (Don't know her backstory but I would never take such a short trip.)
Anyhow, I am looking for suggestions that don't include snorkeling or the road to Hana. Mahalo

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I leave for Maui tomorrow, staying near Kaanapali, have a car. I will be joined by my friend and her 70 year old aunt. Their first trip, my 10th. "Auntie" is only staying 3 nights. (Don't know her backstory but I would never take such a short trip.)
Anyhow, I am looking for suggestions that don't include snorkeling or the road to Hana. Mahalo
On the suggestion of the concierge at KBR, we went to a really nice happy hour at Sea House, up in Napili. The hours were limited (3-4:30pm?) but the menu was nice - lot's of choices - and a beautiful view of Napili Bay. You could do happy hour then hang out at the beach for sunset.

You could also hang out in Lahaina town (not my cup of tea - I'd be snorkeling ;) ) but friends who have traveled with us have requested an afternoon or evening in town.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have taken our 70+ friend zip lining. It all depends on the person. We have also taken her swimming with Dolphins, etc. Talk to your friend about any limitations if any for Auntie.

ared505

Reaction score
I second the suggestion of the Sea House for happy hour. Creative appetizers and drinks, wonderful view over the bay; hours are 2-4:30. Parking can get tricky--get there early. Another idea is a self-guided walking tour of historic Lahaina. We found a brochure with the route at one of the stops, but here's another: https://lahainatown.com/lahaina-historic-walking-tour.php If you have time or interest, reading Michener's Hawaii or even just the Maui parts is fascinating for historic perspective. Hula schools have free performances at the Cannery Mall the discount outlet mall right in town. If you're there on a Sunday 9-2 the farmers market at the Gateway Center is fun, and the Saturday morning Swap Meet in Kahalui is epic. And a sunset/cocktail cruise is always a pleasure. Have fun!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, there is a possibility this Auntie may be more adventurous than my friend, who was the one who said 'no snorkeling '

I don't need to do another Luau, but if they want to -- recommendations?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Trilogy trip to Lanai? There is snorkeling, but also a tour of the island and a great bar-be-que lunch.

I'd say a whale watch, but sounds like you won't be there when the whales are.

And heck, 70 isn't old. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are over 70 and enjoyed the magic- and dinner- at Warren and Annabel's in Lahaina. It's upstairs (there's an elevator) from Ruth's Chris Steak House in the outlet mall.

We also enjoyed the Feast at Lele Luau, but bear in mind it's expensive and they serve a LOT of alcohol if you don't exercise restraint.

Jim

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would they be interested in garden, farm or plantation tours? There are many top-notch tours Upcountry or closer to Wailuku, if you don't mind spending one of their days away from Ka'anapali. CJ

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
A Luau the Lahaina one is authentic. We love Happy hr at Merrimans,and Mala"s , music at Kimos and rooftop at Fleetwoods.I second the Lanai trip. Pods of dolphins makes it quite magical

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Oh, there is a possibility this Auntie may be more adventurous than my friend, who was the one who said 'no snorkeling '

I don't need to do another Luau, but if they want to -- recommendations?
Then a snorkel cruise might be just the ticket. She can stay on the boat while you snorkel. We used Teralani last month (vouchers available on Costco.com https://www.costco.com/Teralani-Premier-Adult-Snorkel-.product.100011279.html ) and really enjoyed our cruise. We did a midday trip up to Honolua. Honolua was great - we saw lots of fish and they had a photographer taking photos while you snorkeled. They served a nice lunch as well. It was very convenient to leave and return to Ka'anapali Beach. They also offer a sunset sail.

Btw, there's a nice botanical garden in Kula http://www.kulabotanicalgarden.com/. We went to see the rainbow eucalyptus but the whole garden was pretty interesting. There were some small hills that could be problematic if anyone has mobility issues.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We are over 70 and enjoyed the magic- and dinner- at Warren and Annabel's in Lahaina. It's upstairs (there's an elevator) from Ruth's Chris Steak House in the outlet mall.

We saw this for the first time last year and loved it. We highly recommend it.

Best regards.

Mike

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would they be interested in garden, farm or plantation tours? There are many top-notch tours Upcountry or closer to Wailuku, if you don't mind spending one of their days away from Ka'anapali. CJ
This is on my list -- I've never been Upcountry.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another possibility for a lunch or dinner- in the strip mall next to Times supermarket in Ka'anapali (good place and selections of groceries) is Java'n'Jazz. A little less 'island-y' if you find yourselves wanting a break, good food, full bar and great coffee drinks. Live jazz in the evenings with no cover.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would recommend Surfing Goats Dairy if you go upcountry. And stop for lunch at Hali'maile General Store.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks -- had heard of G.S. But first time hearing of Surfing Goats
There is also a vodka distillery close to Surfing Goats (I haven't been, but my dd and sil have) and a lavender farm (again haven't been to that). At Surfing Goat they do tours, every hour on the hour I think. There is a small fee. Last time we went was the first time we timed it to go on a tour. We were able to watch brand new baby goats as some were being birthed that day. They also have a small store, and serve some food, mostly cheese tasting plates.

ared505

Reaction score
Surfing Goats is fun--we just went to look at the goats and learn from the informative signs, and they have a shop with edibles and body products. For a low-key tour consider the Maui Tropical Plantation tour in mid-island. The restaurant there is outstandingly creative, good for lunch, very pretty sitting outside, tho a bit pricey. And when touring the east side/upcountry how about MauiWine (was called Tedeschi Winery)? Makawao Rodeo is July 4-7. Definitely drive the north coast to see the surfers and windsurfers at Hookipa Beach Park (east of Paia). We all want a report back after your visit!