• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dog Suggestions

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Got my RCI exchange for NYC next February so we can go to Westminster and I'm so excited! I wonder how many I'll end up with? Most likely a terrier or two, I'm partial to them. I'd really rather have an older dog, maybe one who's going to retire soon.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Got my RCI exchange for NYC next February so we can go to Westminster and I'm so excited! I wonder how many I'll end up with? Most likely a terrier or two, I'm partial to them. I'd really rather have an older dog, maybe one who's going to retire soon.

I don't know that I would like to attend Westminster so much for the show itself as much as the opportunity to wander around in the staging/grooming area just to be able to see such an array of dogs in one place! It still bums me that the Labrador Retriever has never won best in show while a host of yappie little dogs do.......... Yuck!

I did enjoy the year the beagle won BIS though!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I’d like to go to Westminster. Maybe someday. When you say “how many you’ll end up with” I assume you’re kidding? Or are you hoping to find a puppy?

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't know that I would like to attend Westminster so much for the show itself as much as the opportunity to wander around in the staging/grooming area just to be able to see such an array of dogs in one place! It still bums me that the Labrador Retriever has never won best in show while a host of yappie little dogs do.......... Yuck!

I did enjoy the year the beagle won BIS though!

By the rules, it’s supposed to be whichever dog comes closest to it’s breed standard. And that immediately makes it subjective. For all the Labs out there, surely there have to be some that are up to the task? Westminster is a show of invited champions. Not sure how much more can be done?

Dave

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Just kidding on how many I'll bring back. We are without a dog at the moment though. I used to show dogs but have never been to Westminster. I too prefer to just hang out in the benching area. Funny Westminster story. Up until he became POTUS, the Westminster winner used to go to Trump tower every year for a photo session. You can google it if you're interested.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Shih Tzu is our favorite breed. We bathe them weekly and groom once a month so shedding is not a problem. 3 of the 4 that have owned us over the years were calm, loving and wanted to be beside us most of the time. The 4th, pictured left, has been much more active and barks at things our others didn't. The breed standard is 9 to 14 pounds but there are breeders "breeding them down" and calling them "tea cup" or "imperial." While we've had 2 that were 7 pounds, I would not want to have one that is smaller than that. We say that this will be our last pet so that we can travel and because it doesn't seem responsible to go into old age with a pet that very well could outlive us. We do have a Pet Trust just in case though.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people find Poodles and the 'doodle' mixes to be about as non-allergenic as a dog can be. They are generally easily trained, not subject to breed-induced illnesses, and don't require lots of strenuous exercise.
Hope you find a new 'best friend'. C'mon back and introduce us when you adopt one.

Jim

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also look at Craigslist. People love puppies and a year later realize that they are not home enough or need to travel or move and having a dog is not for them. You can get a good dog and consider it a rescue because you are getting it before it goes to kennel or putting that dog into a better environment. Be sure to ask why the owner is getting rid of the dog. Most people will be honest and will want to find the right home for the dog.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Here’s my two cents for what it’s worth:
1. There is no scientific evidence to support the concept of a hypoallergenic dog. Ask your allergist.
2. Small dogs being smaller produce less dander.
3. Some dogs are less allergenic to some people than others. This depends on the two individuals (dog and human) involved
4. Don’t let people tell you the only “responsible” or “ethical” way to obtain a dog is to adopt one. There are pros and cons to adoption vs purchasing a dog. Adoption does a solid for a dog with no home, maybe saves a life but can be a bit of a crapshoot at times. Buying a dog means you can get a dog who is often true to type, which means a lot if you value performance in a dog- hunting, agility, obedience, scent work, herding, or the recreational “dogsport” versions of things dogs were bred to do.

I personally love dachshunds but for a small dog recommendation for your typical pet owner, I am a fan of the papillon. They are smart, lively but being small don’t need hours of exercise, and they are typically cheerful and good natured.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@heathpack - who (or what breed) is in your avatar?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@heathpack - who (or what breed) is in your avatar?

I happen to know it's her Wirehaired Mini Dachshund. If you search on some of @heathpack's posts, you'll see some great pix of her cutie dog on a sailboat. Great life for a wonderful dog breed. (My avatar is my own Mini Dachshund, but mine are the Longhaired coat type. The third option in the breed is Smooth coat, the classic Weiner Dog look.)

Since @heathpack is our resident Veterinarian, I'd trust her comments above about hypoallergenic dog breeds.

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
@DaveNW you got it. My avatar is my little wirehaired mini daschshund. She is a very dachshundy dachshund, which is a pretty cool thing if you value (as I know you do) dachshundness in a dog.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNW you got it. My avatar is my little wirehaired mini daschshund. She is a very dachshundy dachshund, which is a pretty cool thing if you value (as I know you do) dachshundness in a dog.

Agreed, But I think my Dachshundy Dachshunds would out-Dachshund your Dachshundy Dachshund. In that Dachshundy way. :)

Dave

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I've had shelter dogs, rescue dogs, pet quality purebreds, show dogs, etc. over the years. I haven't (yet) had a mixed breed, but I'd choose a mixed breed any day over a poorly bred pure or cross-breed, and there's a lot of them out there. The puppy producers who breed dogs just to make money often unknowingly produce puppies combining the worst traits of both parents (physical or temperamental). Of course you don't know what you'll get with a mix breed, but it will probably be healthier and easier to live with than a puppy mill dog. I hope to someday live with a Dachshundy Dachshund. My all time favorite movie is "The Ugly Dachshund."

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Adoption requests pour in after photo of dog waiting for dead owner goes viral

June 21, 2019
40ab2440-93cc-11e9-bff7-bcd04438943f

A heartbreaking photo of a dog appearing to be waiting for his owner who passed away, has gone viral, and may result in his adoption. (Photo: Facebook)
While it may be one of the saddest images you've seen on social media, the results are a happy one. NorthStar Pet Rescue in Boonton, N.J, working with Eleventh Hour Rescue in Randolph, N.J, shared a heartbreaking photo of a dog, Moose, sitting beside his owner's empty hospital bed. His owner had recently passed away, and it appears the 3-year-old Lab mix was waiting for him to come home.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
My toy poodle. 12 lbs. fully grown. 1.4 years old.
89d192c6b150b97ce33c8bacfb584f19.jpg

They are smart, obedient, and hypoallergenic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had huskies and malamutes. These are dogs that need to work. They have a high activity level and they need to run and pull. They shed their fur seasonally. Great dogs- as are most- but be aware they will need training- as does any dog- and you are going to get a lot of exercise!
This is often true, though many can adapt to being more like regular housedogs. We've had a few of those too.

Since folks are sharing photos of their dogs, here's ours, 25 years ago, before video cameras were common. Two friends with a video camera were visiting and accompanied us on a training run, and my partner edited their footage down for a youtube. It's what we did with every second of our spare time -- before timesharing. Enjoy!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is often true, though many can adapt to being more like regular housedogs. We've had a few of those too.

Since folks are sharing photos of their dogs, here's ours, 25 years ago, before video cameras were common. Two friends with a video camera were visiting and accompanied us on a training run, and my partner edited their footage down for a youtube. It's what we did with every second of our spare time -- before timesharing. Enjoy!

Very cool!

We did a dog sledding excursion one winter up in Eden, VT near our Smuggs timeshare. Was my favorite winter activity and the dogs were just awesome!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is going to bring tears to my eyes...again...but if you have not seen this video please watch....

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Off and on I think I'd like to have a dog again. But with the "old folks home" looming, it would have to be a little dog who could use potty pads over night, on rainy days and when I am not mobile enough to take him out for potty. We had a miserable time trying to train our beagle to poop in the side yard only (he'd out wait us) so I wonder if anyone here is in apartment/condo living and successfully has a dog trained to use pads (and not eat cat poop out of the litter pan, too).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Off and on I think I'd like to have a dog again. But with the "old folks home" looming, it would have to be a little dog who could use potty pads over night, on rainy days and when I am not mobile enough to take him out for potty. We had a miserable time trying to train our beagle to poop in the side yard only (he'd out wait us) so I wonder if anyone here is in apartment/condo living and successfully has a dog trained to use pads (and not eat cat poop out of the litter pan, too).

You probably already know this, but Beagles are loving and devoted, but are considered one of THE hardest breeds to housebreak and train. They were bred to be independent little pack hunters, and Stubborn is their middle name. Once they're outside that ten-foot range, they also get to be geographically deaf. If you're not a rabbit, well, yeah... ;)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our reluctance in getting a dog after our cat passes away one day, is our inability to provide exercise for the dog. We have a huge cayote population here and we live in a condo, lacking a yard for the dog to play and to stretch out. There have been reports of cayotes snatching little dogs on a leash while out on walks with the owners, kind of like gators grabbing dogs on a leash in Florida. If we want another pet, we will have a cat again which means we will have our cat sitter here whenever we travel.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If I ever get another dog, I would like a small white fluffy dog, preferably non shedding. My dogs are irreplaceable so I can’t imagine getting new cavaliers after 3 of them. Perhaps a poodletese or something like that. LOL

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If I ever get another dog, I would like a small white fluffy dog, preferably non shedding. My dogs are irreplaceable so I can’t imagine getting new cavaliers after 3 of them. Perhaps a poodletese or something like that. LOL

Maltipoo. But even better - get a Bichon Frise. Easier to groom than a Poodle or Maltese, and they are bred to be lap dogs. Wonderful pets.

Dave