• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions about Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are booking a visit to this timeshare for next year and a friend of ours has expressed an interest in coming along. I have the impression from other comments that the village itself is within easy walking distance, what I'm wondering is if there is a likelihood that we could find a room for our friend in the town? Has anyone had any experience with that? We'd really prefer to book a studio and our friend would be just as happy in her own place for the week or so we're there. Booking the two-bedroom unit is a lot more points and the certainty of our friend's ability to actually come along this far out is questionable. While I'm on the subject, should we rent a car at the airport in Paris or wait until we get to the village? From what I remember about driving in Paris I'm not sure I'm that ambitious any longer <g>. Thanks.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Radisson and an Ace hotel nearby - the Radisson is just past the Marriott and the Ace is an equal distance past the village (Bailly-Romainvilliers) in the other direction. You could also try to book two studios at the Marriott using cash or points.

As for the car...are you flying in and out of CDG? Staying in Paris before or after? We came in via Eurostar and left via CDG and found for our family of four it made more sense to rent a car rather than pay for the shuttle.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
In our experience we really didn’t need a car.
We were a party of 3 and thought we might rent a car for a day or 2 to travel to the countryside but ended up spending everyday in Paris.

We booked a black car transfer from the airport to the resort (70 euro for 3 people with three large suitcase to and 59 for the return) and once we were settled took the resort transport over to Paris Disney which is right outside the Chessy Train station. We purchased a navigo pass at the station (22 euro per person for the week) and used it to take the local bus to town for groceries and to Chessy and the train into and around Paris and even the funicular in Montmartre. Total transportation cost was under 200 for the week for the 3 of us. Everything ran late enough for us and we never had a problem. Ask for a unit towards the front of the resort to make the walk to the bus easier.

I wrote a review of our trip (6/17) and posted it on II and would be glad to send it to you if you think it would be useful.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always suggest for those wanting to see Paris or more of the surrounding areas, consider renting a car. Parking is free at the resort and even after factoring in parking fees in Paris, you may end up saving compared to paying for the RER into the city multiple days. A car also gives you added flexibility to see attractions on the outskirts of Paris and to head over to the Auchon grocery store at Val d' Europe near the resort (which is in a big mall, also next door to a factory outlet complex). This a bit contrary to typical advice which tends to tell people to NOT rent a car in the big cities in Europe....if staying at Village di'Ile de France where you're not paying overnight parking fees, I think it makes sense.

As for renting at the airport, YES, this makes sense. CDG is way outside the city and it's mostly freeway travel to the village from there...nothing to be worried about in my experience.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To be clear-- yes you can walk to the village from the Marriott, BUT it's not exactly next door... it's down the street... and would take some time.
The Marriott complex is actually quite spread out and we were near the back. So by the time we would have walked the Marriott property, walked to the village and returned, it would have taken up way too much valuable time. Too far to carry a large number of grocery bags in my opinion-- and we're physically able. I agree with the above, for those who plan to use public transportation a great deal, I would request a unit closer to the front-- but the back of the Marriott village is more picturesque in my opinion.

The car/public transportation debate consumed me before our trip. I think we ended up with the perfect solution-- we did a combination. We picked up the rental car at the airport, drove to the Marriott, used the car for a couple of grocery runs over a few days and explored the area outside of Paris (went to Provins two days because we liked it so much). We also used the car to drive to Fontainebleau and Versailles (on a Sunday because that's when they turn on the fountains). Yes, you can do both with public transportation, but the car just made it easier and more time efficient. Then we turned in the car at the Hertz location at the Disneyland train station parking deck (Chessy). The rest of the time, we took the bus from the front of the Marriott to the train station (Chessy) and the train into downtown Paris. The public transportation was easy. At the end of our stay, we took the bus/train to the airport (easy). The train ride into Paris was roughly an hour if I recall. Warning: We got caught in an evening summer rain storm in Paris and ended up camping out at a very expensive (cough) restaurant on the Eiffel Tower (normally the are full with reservations but I'm sure some couldn't get there because of the rain storm). It was a neat experience. But by the time we left and found the subway station and got on the train, we missed the LAST train to Chessy. Our train ended two stops before Chessy!!! We were in the the suburbs at midnight. We called the Marriott and they sent a car for us. So the word of warning is -- check the train schedule for the last train!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
They could book any Disney hotel and take the public bus right to the Marriott. Magic circus is also an option esp if you have a car. Explorers also an inexpensive option. The Val d’europe hotels are on the opposite end of the bus line. There are many rentals also. Just put in dates on booking.com and look at the map to see what’s close to the marriott entrance.
We picked up our car at sixt at magic circus. Also hertz and Avis at Disney train station called chessy.
Lots of posts on tug with info about ile de France if you search

Last edited:

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thank everyone for their replies, all have been very useful and while I've read about the French resort here in the past, I am going to go back and read up on it again. I'll have to check about the airlines as we'll start this trip in Lisbon, move on to Porto and to Paris from there. Lots of flights out of Porto to Paris.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
The town of Bailley Romainvillers is very small, Swice stated that it would take some time to walk to it from the resort, from the resort entrance to the town centre takes about five minutes walk at a normal pace, it really is no time at all.

We've driven from Paris Orly to the resort, very easy, motorway pretty much all of the way and no requirement to go anywhere near Paris. Also rented from Avis at the Marne La Vallee station at Disney after taking the Eurostar. It depends on what you intend to do. If you want to spend time at Disney and/or visit Paris then there's no requirement for a car, it will just sit parked for the duration. A shuttle bus runs from the resort (or a local bus from just outside) to the train station/Disney. From there you take the train to Paris. If you want to explore the surrounding area (very recommended) then a car is a sensible option.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My wife and daughter stayed at Marriott's Village d'll-de-France for a week a few years ago. They loved the resort, but did get tired of the walk/bus/train routine to get to/from Paris. My wife says whenever we go back, she would stay at the Marriott for several days with a rental car while exploring areas outside of the city, but would prefer to book a hotel in the city for the rest of the time to avoid the commute to/from the suburbs.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the commute to and from Paris from the resort does become a bit of a chore. In my opinion the resort is not one to stay at in order to visit Paris but rather Disney and the surrrounding area. For Paris I'd stay in a hotel in the city or an apartment rental.

We've stayed at the resort twice, the second time we never visited Paris.

bmul2

Reaction score
Just returned from a week at this resort. Great place. Request the Giverney section of the resort to be near the Gardens or near the lake. I think the lake is called the Per section. They have added a cinema night in the evening. Watched A star is born and Bohemian Rhapsody on different nights. Really a great resort. There is a local restaurant in the neighboring village that serves dinner in the living room of the owner. Fabulous meal. Concierge can help sort it out.

If staying for a week, you definitely dont want to go in to Paris on the RER every day. It is exhausting. It is Paris, so you need to do it some though. Go out to Champagne region and other areas though.

We will be back. It was over 5 years since we had been and were very happy to go back.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
The only problem we ever have is returning the rental to CDG. It's poorly marked for the return and you really need to watch closely.

bmul2

Reaction score
I agree. The car rental at CDG is horrible. I went to the wrong terminal location twice!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. The car rental at CDG is horrible. I went to the wrong terminal location twice!

Paris Orly isn't much better. I recall collecting a car and asking my wife to wait at the bottom of the car park with the kids and luggage but I took a wrong turn and ended up out of the airport and onto the motorway! It took a short drive to find a turnoff and return to the airport but the car collection was in a different place to the drop off. In the end I parked in the police station, begged two officers in my appalling French to let me leave it there for five minutes whilst I grabbed my wife and kids!

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think there is enough to do for 7 day trip if we do not go to Disneyland and if we do not plan on visiting Paris. (We would stay in Paris separately for that).

Also what are the best and worst months to visit

Thank you

oldred

Reaction score
Visiting end of April we stayed three nights in Paris and then ten nights at the MVC. Neither one of us felt comfortable about driving there, probably due to the cab rides CDG>Paris>Bailly-Romainvilliers, and opted to use public transportation with a combo of one week Navigo Pass and visitors passes. Outside of getting on the wrong bus in Provins (right number, wrong direction) and getting held up by track repair coming back from Versailles I rather enjoyed the travel. I think to visit outside of Paris again I would rent a car for the greater choice of where to go.

As far as staying right in Paris it was nice and this fall will stay there for three nights again on our way back to NY from Marbella but for a longer stay I like having a kitchen/laundry and the quiet of the resort (quiet in April/May anyways). We aren't night people and the morning train ride into Paris via croissants at the Val d'Europe bus stop got us in the the Museums early enough and maybe the train was crowded coming back depending on the time but not intolerable.

Two public transport trips we enjoyed from the resort outside Paris were a bus trip to Provins, a walled medieval city, and taking the train to Vincennes, just outside of Paris, to visit the Chateau/Fort there. It's a bit of a walk from the train station to the Chateau but you go by a very good Tunisian restaurant.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
for one week with no Paris or DLP, we have done the following:
easy without car: bus to Provins, walk around DLP area (shops, restaurants), shop at Val d'Europe, TGV/train to Reims, Strasbourg, Dijon (have not done Dijon).
with car: great WWI museum in Meaux, Vaux le Viconte chateaux, Fountainbleu and Barbizon town. Vaux is on the route to Fountainbleu, but you could make each a day trip.
So, yes, plenty to do for a week, esp. with a car for at least 3 days. But with no car, adding a few day train trips will definitely fill in the week. Marne le vallee (chessy) train station for DLP to Reims is about 50 euros RT. Marriott also offers a couple of day trips (one to Versailles and one to Champagne regions). Each was about $200PP. The tourist info center just outside of train station near DLP gates has lots of info on day tours from the area.
Outdoor pool will be chilly (or closed) except june-aug. And France can be a bit rainy off-season. I'd go either early-mid June or mid Sept. to get nice weather and miss the bulk of school holidays (also much easier trade than summer).
We really enjoyed shopping at the local small grocier, butcher, patisserie, and then cooking an authentic French meal for dinner (we cheated and used frozen escargot) and relaxing on terrace for the evening. Also recommend giverny gardens section-lovely and closest to entrance in case you're taking the bus outside the gates.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What I've found out, both through personal experience and from friends, that when traveling with friends, everyone should pay for their accommodations and flights at the outset, even if one in the group arranges everything. Otherwise, it's more likely the non-invested will have a reason they can't go.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What I've found out, both through personal experience and from friends, that when traveling with friends, everyone should pay for their accommodations and flights at the outset, even if one in the group arranges everything. Otherwise, it's more likely the non-invested will have a reason they can't go.
I think you learn people very quickly when it comes to this situation. I've found that those of us who are planners can put ourselves in a situation if we're not careful. That's why I try to give myself as many options and as much flexibility as possible. I want to control my risk and my stress level. For cruises when family plans to go I don't mind fronting the deposit but there is a cutoff date where it's pay or cancel. For our Family trips where I invite them, I pay the accommodations. I get the reservations and invite people as appropriate. We're looking to have around 58 people it looks like for our upcoming HHI trip. No stress because it's done and I'm not counting on anyone else to do something, just come. If someone can't go, it doesn't affect me unless we have units going empty then I can rent short notice or cancel DC points and have holding pts.

One thing I've found is that the planners tend to think because they're planning, possibly providing the reservation, that people will be on their best behavior. I think that's often not the case and often the reverse. Crazy is crazy on steroids which vacations and it seems like it's even worse when Disney is involved. Usually we know who is likely to be a problem, bring drama, etc. We should just admit it to ourselves and plan accordingly. Fortunately for our group there isn't much drama, else the trips might be a curse rather than a blessing. Kim and I agree these are our best trips and we've not done a lot of other things we could do otherwise such as going to Europe. We have no regrets and given the choice, we'd pick our family trips over more travel hands down.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They're not all your own kids are they!
No it's my immediate family including kids and their families plus brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins and their family. All immediate family, no one not tied to a fairly close family member, nothing as far out as second cousins.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your update. We're currently planning a trip to Portugal, then flying to Paris and probably taking the train down to this property and renting a car from there to tour the countryside. While I love Paris, I don't need to spend that many days there.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Taking the train to Marne La Vallee and renting a car from there is probably your best option. I've also had my best upgrade there from a Vauxhall Meriva to a Mercedes CLS320! I made sure we took plenty of day trips that week.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The train is a pain as you must go via Paris. There is an easyshuttle.uk for 20 euros to dlp.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The train is a pain as you must go via Paris. There is an easyshuttle.uk for 20 euros to dlp.

The OP doesn't state which airport they're flying into but the train from either one to Marne la Vallee does not go via Paris.