• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amtrak is Having a Father's Day Flash Sale With Fares As Low As $22

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this post. Is there a code, I can’t seem to find one.
Looking at the schedule I see I could get a train in Wisconsin Dells and get off in glenview Illinois, and take an Uber to Arlington heights, Illinois for my husband’s reunion. Need to find out if the Amtrak is reliable on this route as would hate to be stuck on a train platform in a city I have no familiarity with.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Thank you for this post. Is there a code, I can’t seem to find one.
Looking at the schedule I see I could get a train in Wisconsin Dells and get off in glenview Illinois, and take an Uber to Arlington heights, Illinois for my husband’s reunion. Need to find out if the Amtrak is reliable on this route as would hate to be stuck on a train platform in a city I have no familiarity with.
Hi Rapmarks.

Just go to the Amtrak website - the reduced fares are built in already.

Richard

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, now I need to check on reliability. I know Amtrak is often hours behind going west from Wisconsin Dells

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We take the Pennsylvanian pretty often. It goes once a day from New York to Pittsburgh and once a day from Pittsburgh back to New York. West of Harrisburg, there are often delays, but it usually makes up the time and arrives on schedule, both ways. The codes never work on this route, but fortunately the fares are amazingly reasonable. We love the train--otherwise it would be a six-hour drive to our daughter's college.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty confused
People from reunion have me all confused
They say glenview is really far from the reunion. I should take train to Chicago, then go to another station a few blocks away, take metro train back north to Arlington heights station, then Uber to reunion. Sounds way too intimidating to me. I don’t know the area at all, I will be shlepping luggage for a couple days with a dressy dinner, for the two of us, and it sounds too complicated

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pretty confused
They say glenview is really far from the reunion. I should take train to Chicago, then go to another station a few blocks away, take metro train back north to Arlington heights station, then Uber to reunion. Sounds way too intimidating to me. I don’t know the area at all, I will be shlepping luggage for a couple days with a dressy dinner, for the two of us, and it sounds too complicated
Hi Rapmarks,

It's not as confusing as you think. You can take Amtrak (Empire Builder) into Union Station in the Loop. You can stay in Union Station
an take a Metra Train to Glenview, IL. From there you can take Uber.
See: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Chi...13ea!2m2!1d-87.8223368!2d42.0778065!3e3?hl=en

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't dally if you are going to make reservations - promotion is good till June 17th.

Richard

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t make myself clear. I am going to Arlington Heights. Amtrak stops in glenview and then Chicago. Glenview is directly north of Chicago, Arlington heights is northwest. Both about an hour away. I am not trying to go to glenview I thought I could get off the Amtrak there and Uber to Arlington heights, about half an hour, instead of going to downtown Chicago and ubering to Arlington heights. It would not be worth arriving in Chicago at four or later, going to another station, and waiting for a metro, then an hour ride back north, and then an Uber ride to the reunion which starts at four o’clock. I would be traveling six to eight hours, if I made connections on time. After that kind of travel, my husband would be too confused to attend the reunion.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn’t make myself clear. I am going to Arlington Heights. Amtrak stops in glenview and then Chicago. Glenview is directly north of Chicago, Arlington heights is northwest. Both about an hour away. I am not trying to go to glenview I thought I could get off the Amtrak there and Uber to Arlington heights, about half an hour, instead of going to downtown Chicago and ubering to Arlington heights. It would not be worth arriving in Chicago at four or later, going to another station, and waiting for a metro, then an hour ride back north, and then an Uber ride to the reunion which starts at four o’clock. I would be traveling six to eight hours, if I made connections on time. After that kind of travel, my husband would be too confused to attend the reunion.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like this trip is not worth it.

Richard

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

So can you not do this? Get off train in Glenview and Uber to Arlington Heights? Sounds like it would work pretty well.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
So can you not do this? Get off train in Glenview and Uber to Arlington Heights? Sounds like it would work pretty well.
I think I will try this. It sounds like the easiest thing to do. If the Uber costs a lot, I will not have to declare bankruptcy.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I will try this. It sounds like the easiest thing to do. If the Uber costs a lot, I will not have to declare bankruptcy.

I just looked at an Uber estimator bc I was curious. It said it's less than $25 to go from the Amtrak station in Glenview to Arlington Heights. And think how much you're saving on the train fare!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty confused
Hi Rapmarks -- I live right in the area you want to go to (Arlington Heights) and am also well versed w/the train stations. You want to take the Amtrak to Glenview and then Uber/Lyft to AH. Do NOT take Amtrak downtown and then screw around w/another train to AH. It will involve multiple train stations and potentially could add hours onto your trip. LMK if you have any more questions -- I can help.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Rapmarks -- I live right in the area you want to go to (Arlington Heights) and am also well versed w/the train stations. You want to take the Amtrak to Glenview and then Uber/Lyft to AH. Do NOT take Amtrak downtown and then screw around w/another train to AH. It will involve multiple train stations and potentially could add hours onto your trip. LMK if you have any more questions -- I can help.
Thank you, is the glenview station very big? I ask because when we return, we will have a few hours to wait for return trip.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it is not. A basic commuter station. A few benches inside and a ticket window. If you have time to kill there is The Glenview House , which is just a few blocks away. Nice bar, restaurant. You can check the hours but opens at 3 pm some days and 11 AM other days. Also a block or two away is "Grandpa's Place" -- another restaurant , bar. I believe they open at 11 AM both days. Hope that helps!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just looked at an Uber estimator bc I was curious. It said it's less than $25 to go from the Amtrak station in Glenview to Arlington Heights. And think how much you're saving on the train fare!
Yes it makes me wonder why someone in his class would tell me to go further on the train, change stations, and take another train and a taxi to reunion. Maybe it is because they are all so much older than the rest of us, lol.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought the tickets, $54 each round trip plus I purchased trip insurance. Thanks so much for posting this, I hadn’t even thought of this option until I saw your post Richard.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wArned that the train coming from the west is often two hours late!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wArned that the train coming from the west is often two hours late!
Sadly this is true. Amtrak is really an embarrassment. I'm taking it from Chi to St. Louis today and am planning for all contingencies -- including lack of Wifi which makes life very difficult when trying to work.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked them to notify me by text, are they good about that?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked them to notify me by text, are they good about that?
That I cannot answer as I don't take Amtrak very often - thank god. I am only do this today b/c the last minute airfare from ORD to St. Louis was crazy expensive.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just looked at today and it is running one hour 15 minutes late