• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confirming decision on a Elara resale

sensui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker trying to read information whenever possible and thanks to everyone for contributing to help others out there thinking about similar products. Finally decided to move and found a forum favorite to move forward with purchasing a HGVC with Diane Nadeau/Timeshare Broker Sales.

Going with the $1 per point standard as a norm for platinum weeks.....I'm moving forward with a 1 BDRM 7000 pt property with $883 MF annually for $7000+reimbursing the seller's the MF this year for the 2019 points. Closing costs are estimated at $985 (including the transfer fee and the estoppel fee is being fronted on the seller side...other HGVC fees are billed to me directly after closing by Hilton directly). Another $300 probably will be added for title insurance as I'm almost sure to do this for a peace of mind.

Wanted to get some opinions on the deal (I think it's decent and pretty normal, maybe not as good as some I've seen in the ROFR thread but on the same playing field when just thinking about points/MF ratio).....I am surprised I can't really find examples of people buying 7000 pts platinum points from Elara with the $883 MF....seems like there are people buying 7800 pts platinum but no 7000 points? There's nothing I'm missing right? I'm told the 7800 pts is actually harder to find.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and all comments are welcome.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So 7000 pts platinum season at Elara would be the 1 Bd Grand. I would say a first time resale purchase of $1/point and MFs at ~ $0.126 is a very good deal and even using a recommended TUG broker too. You have been around for a long time.

Congratulations.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Congrats! That’s a solid deal, especially when you add in the fact you are dealing with a reputable broker. Many of those on great deals on rofr.com are eBay purchases and they come with a level of uncertainty. It’s a great MF/point mark (better than mine) and a a dollar/point purchase mark is right on the mark.

You have been lurking a long time! Don’t wait another 9 years for your next post! Now, for $15, join Tug and get access to those awesome resort reviews.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Elara is a wonderful property and the points are valuable to use elsewhere as well. Congrats on a great deal. Fully agree with @dayooper. There are some fantastic deals on eBay, and with the exception of a few sellers I wouldn't take the risk. But everyone has different attitudes toward risk...for us a few hundred or thousand wouldn't break us, especially when compared to developer price when we are talking about a 20 year property, however it's the cost of my time and hassle if the deal goes wrong that I wish to avoid so going with a broker (and title insurance) is always preferred.

Last edited:

sensui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for everyone's confirmation and thoughts. Yes I have read these boards on and off right after I had my 1st timeshare presentation experience at HGVC in Oahu back almost 10 years ago. I'm the type that likes to do diligence before purchase so as close as I got to buying back then....I am so glad to have discovered TUG in time to have a more thorough understanding of not only the value of resale but how the points are actually categorized/what you can do with them. Fantastic members here sharing great insight. I will post @ the ROFR thread as soon as things get rolling and closes. Very excited, thanks again all!

P.S. Yes I've seen 'great deals" on various advertisings/ebay listings etc....but I wonder how many of them actually pass ROFR not to mention the headaches of dealing with small time brokers that might not as forthcoming/familiar with the process like the recommended ones that's sold these for decades. Definitely not worth the small savings for me to deal with that headache. Great advice to pass on for future buyers IMO.