• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big fan of HD tv's;BUT

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Companies charge a large price their Great tv's, but why can't they attach a great speaker?
65/75" tv that looks Fantastic; but sound SUCKS...This happens with all companies..Therefore U must buy a sound bar or surround sound to compensate.....Another added cost..

When reading online, they say b/c the screens are so thin, they cheated on sound...C'mon, U can send a man to the moon, but u can't create a great speaker for a tv.....Gimme a Break!!!

IMO, just another way to screw the customer....
OK, I'm through venting..

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am with you. Buying a soundbar though has given us a nice bluetooth way to play our music also.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
Agreed that the new TV's have terrible sound. The only exceptions I am aware of are the 2 Sony OLED flagship TV's (A8G & A9G), which have decent sound via speakers that are directly behind their (supposedly) acoustically transparent screens. I've listened to them and they sound pretty good. Of course, they are not cheap... but, you don't have to buy a sound bar or connect to a receiver.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I agree, but sound from TVs has to come from the bottom or back of the "box." Your sound bar is facing right at you, plus it probably has that big sub-woofer somewhere. Still, we think our Samsung 65 from a few years ago has pretty darn good sound.

We HAVE noticed that some audio sources are just terrible and require us to turn on captioning sometimes. The sound bar doesn't help -- makes it louder, but not clearer. The highs seem to be missing. Others are just fine.

PGtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterside by Spinnaker,
Cottages at Shipyard
I agree, but sound from TVs has to come from the bottom or back of the "box." Your sound bar is facing right at you, plus it probably has that big sub-woofer somewhere. Still, we think our Samsung 65 from a few years ago has pretty darn good sound.

We HAVE noticed that some audio sources are just terrible and require us to turn on captioning sometimes. The sound bar doesn't help -- makes it louder, but not clearer. The highs seem to be missing. Others are just fine.

If you DO purchase a sound bar AND you struggle to understand the dialog, ensure it is at least a 3.0 or 3.1 as opposed to a 2.0 or 2.1

For those who do not know, the .1 denotes the subwoofer, which you can decide if you need or not. But, the 2. means you only have a right and left speaker. The 3. denotes whether the sound bar has a dedicated center (i.e. a 3rd speaker), which is used primarily for the dialog.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
TVs never had great speakers. Want good sound? It’s an optional accessory and has a corresponding cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
TVs never had great speakers. Want good sound? It’s an optional accessory and has a corresponding cost.

Bottom line, they want everyone to buy a separate sound system.
Probably worth it if you enjoy using the big TV, and we do.
We got a Samsung soundbar, and it's decent.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Bottom line, they want everyone to buy a separate sound system.
Probably worth it if you enjoy using the big TV, and we do.
We got a Samsung soundbar, and it's decent.

Years ago I installed a 5.1 system in my living room with front and ceiling/rear speakers in wall, hidden cables, etc. I wanted great sound, and I got it.

I bought a simple Bose sound bar a few years ago when it was being discontinued for the bedroom, and for the ~2 hours I watch per month there it’s perfectly fine. They make decent products.

I installed a couple ZVOX sound bars for my folks in recent years, and they make excellent products. They also have newer models with the capability to make it easier to hear dialogue, and is intended for people that have a more difficult time hearing.

There are many options available. Of course, this semi recurring complaint that TVs don’t have good sound is truly without merit. It wasn’t an issue when there wasn’t stereo TV, was it? Now we watch movies at home and expect good sound...again, the manufacturers never included good speakers, so why expect them to do something they never did before?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The external speakers will outlast the TV. . .

I run my audio output through a Denon micro receiver (a M38, which I replaced the speakers with a pair of 40 year old speakers. . .)

Works just fine. . . .

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Years ago I installed a 5.1 system in my living room with front and ceiling/rear speakers in wall, hidden cables, etc. I wanted great sound, and I got it.

I bought a simple Bose sound bar a few years ago when it was being discontinued for the bedroom, and for the ~2 hours I watch per month there it’s perfectly fine. They make decent products.

I installed a couple ZVOX sound bars for my folks in recent years, and they make excellent products. They also have newer models with the capability to make it easier to hear dialogue, and is intended for people that have a more difficult time hearing.

There are many options available. Of course, this semi recurring complaint that TVs don’t have good sound is truly without merit. It wasn’t an issue when there wasn’t stereo TV, was it? Now we watch movies at home and expect good sound...again, the manufacturers never included good speakers, so why expect them to do something they never did before?

Always enjoy and appreciate your expert electronics advice....wish I was as knowledgeable & conversant with everything out there.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We use an AV receiver and 5.1 sound system for our TV. But...
For some odd reason, the receiver takes it upon itself to link up (bluetooth) with our Amazon Echo ("Alexa") at odd times. As soon as we realize what the two of 'em are up to, we close it down and return to our regular programming.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
When you’ve got a tv that is sometimes thinner than 2”, it’s next to impossible to put good sound in it! Wouldn’t be surprised to see speakers eliminated completely in the future.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When you’ve got a tv that is sometimes thinner than 2”, it’s next to impossible to put good sound in it! Wouldn’t be surprised to see speakers eliminated completely in the future.

I bought a new LG OLED TV recently (it’s amazing) and is almost unbelievably thin. However, it actually has decent sound which surprised me. But of course, it doesn’t compare to my stereo setup nor would be as good as almost any sound bar.

You can buy TVs without speakers and have been able to for years. These were historically marketed to corporate sales for presentation purposes but these monitors are sometimes very good options. Sadly, the prices are often more than consumer TVs so typically isn’t considered for homes.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see people agree that sound really SUCKS..For future tv"s, how about attaching 2 speakers on either side to create better sound..

I've seen the miniature Bose that create pretty good sound..Just attach molded drop down speakers to new tv's...Maybe I should just patent my idea..

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have the bose surround for years and have been really happy. Always think to upgrade but have had no need to, the sound is great.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've seen the miniature Bose that create pretty good sound..Just attach molded drop down speakers to new tv's...Maybe I should just patent my idea..

Sound bars are much better and more elegant. Sound bars are affordable and expensive, and there are a variety of options. It won’t be as good as discrete multiple speakers for true surround, but it’s definitely better than nothing.

I recall seeing attached external speakers on some Sony TVs back in the 90s.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ken555, As I recall there was no HDTV in the 90's....I had a Sony when it took 2 men and a boy to lift....My whole point is::::Make better sound for people that spend $1200+ for tv's

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken555, As I recall there was no HDTV in the 90's....I had a Sony when it took 2 men and a boy to lift....My whole point is::::Make better sound for people that spend $1200+ for tv's

Yes, but there were $2000 TVs with optional external speakers. I had a fantastic Mitsubishi 32” that cost quite a lot, and still didn’t have great speakers (I had a stereo connected even back then).

You’re not paying for audio quality. You’re paying for the display.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I had an HP HDTV (yes, HP made TVs for a few years) around 2006(?) that had detachable speakers. I'm guessing getting a patent for your idea wouldn't go far...

Personally, I like my audio system to be separate from my TV / monitor. A good audio system can last 20+ years and still be great, whereas video is constantly changing. It wasn't that long ago when 480P or 720P was considered a good HD TV; now we are at 4K. Where will TVs be in 20 years? I would rather pay for good audio once and not every time I upgrade a TV.

Kurt

BTW, I never attached those detachable speakers on my HP TV -- my audio system was much better, so they were completely wasted on me.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Way back in 1992 I had the 10ft satellite dish with a receiver that would recognize the Yamaha receiver which included a surround sound speaker system. Somewhere before 2000 we switched to Dish and our Yamaha still worked fine.

Now that we have a tivo I haven't figured out how to input the tivo sound to the Yamaha. I ended up purchasing a sound bar. I like the soundbar. It pairs with my phone and tv. I thought about getting another receiver but the one I have works great for loud music and does control my deck speakers, the four house speakers and a sub woofer. I'm also getting to the point I really don't care and the sound bar was an easy fix for my immediate problem.

Bill

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We have an A/V receiver to switch the multiple video inputs, so we just mute the TV speakers and use the stereo speakers. The Comcast remote turns on the TV and receiver with the same button, and controls the receivers volume.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a different problem with sound. On certain stations, the lips move and the sound comes on a few seconds later. This is the most annoying way to watch a program such as jeopardy.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
When it’s time for a change, you should consider ZVOX. https://zvox.com/pages/accuvoice

I highly recommend the ZVOX speakers. We don't use it all the time, but I need it when there's dialog with accents and poor audio recording. The AccuVoice technology is amazing. They also sell hearing "amplifiers" that are 80% as good as custom hearing aids at 20% of the price.