• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time to Myrtle Beach...What to expect? Suggestions for restaurants, etc.

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Hilton Head and wanted to try Myrtle Beach. Are the beaches as big with soft sand as they are at Hilton Head? We are not renting a car so how does one get around in the area? Is there a bus or trolley that goes up and down the coast in the Myrtle Beach area? What restaurants would you recommend in the southern end of Myrtle Beach? Should we bring water shoes (Wished we had them on Marco Island!)? How about bug spray?

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
There is a bus line that goes between Andrews, Bucksport, Conway, Garden City, Georgetown, Loris, Murrells Inlet, Myrtle Beach, Pawleys Island and Surfside Beach. We like Grahams Landing and Lee's Inlet Kitchen in Murrells Inlet.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
What do you mean by "southern end of Myrtle Beach"? What is the area called? Myrtle Beach can be like Disney Land compared to a more sophisticated quiet Hilton Head. I would find it hard to move about Myrtle Beach without a car. It's spread all over the place! You could use Uber and I suppose if you are at a resort that you are happy to stay put at or walk to what areas are around you, it's certainly doable. Not much of a bus person myself. Too impatient and have bad shoulders for carrying heavier things. The beaches can be quite nice depending upon the area. The floor of the Atlantic Ocean drops off quickly so be careful. Yes and yes to water shoes and bug spray.

Reactions: jme

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The sand at the various piers has a lot of shells, so it's not soft, cushy sand. We are here now.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you mean by southern end near the boardwalk and arcades you will be okay without a car. Lots to do, restaurants within walking distance. I would bring water shoes and bug spray, sometimes you need them sometimes you don’t.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have stayed twice in North Myrtle Beach we enjoyed the quiet area but if you are going with children
Stay near the Broadway at The Beach area, lots more to do in that area. We used our car to go to other areas of Myrtle Beach. If we go back again might stay at HIVC near the airport. We stayed there one time on a trip back to Florida it was a busier area.
Only been to Hilton Head one time, prefer Myrtle Beach JMOO.
Silentg

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your information. We will bring water shoes and bug spray - just in case. A rental car for $350 seemed too high for just the 2 of us. We are thinking of staying at the Residence Inn 26th Ave. at South Ocean Blvd. It provides bikes. Are bikes a safe and realistic form of transportation in Myrtle Beach, or does traffic make it dangerous? Thanks for your input.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thank you for your information. We will bring water shoes and bug spray - just in case. A rental car for $350 seemed too high for just the 2 of us. We are thinking of staying at the Residence Inn 26th Ave. at South Ocean Blvd. It provides bikes. Are bikes a safe and realistic form of transportation in Myrtle Beach, or does traffic make it dangerous? Thanks for your input.
I believe it is way south. The furthest south I stayed was at the hgvc timeshares and they are all in walking distance to lots of things.

Not familiar with the area you are going. I personally would not be comfortable riding a bicycle as the streets are busy but I am not familiar with the area you are going. Marco Island I will ride a bicycle.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If you like to get around, see a lot (which is necessary, I think), and dine out a few times, you'll definitely need a car.
You want to "try Myrtle Beach", understood, but you can't properly see MB without a car. Simply walking or biking around
your immediate area doesn't allow you to see much. You'll miss a lot.

Bikes, definitely not. Myrtle Beach is too spread out and you'd never "walk the same" again.

Below is GoogleMaps own "definition" of Myrtle Beach...i.e., so large that they mark off the extensive area
with a red boundary. It's worth seeing all of it, too, and even beyond.
It's fun, so ENJOY!
https://goo.gl/maps/fasTWYNQAgvkR1K37

Restaurants:
our favorite is Sea Captain's House..(rated #4) on the ocean, very nice view, been there a long time, it's a step above all the generic (and not so good) "seafood houses". Reservations required days ahead!!
About as fine dining as you'll want in MB, but still very casual.
Website Photo gallery:
https://www.seacaptains.com/gallery/
Dinner Menu:
https://www.seacaptains.com/menus/dinner-menu/
Photos:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x890068934a27daff:0xe29b6c858aa3be8f!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMlPTZ9c2eIBkUySv_lWFTJjIRcTCmm4VMBqJVc=w572-h320-k-no!5ssea captains house - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMlPTZ9c2eIBkUySv_lWFTJjIRcTCmm4VMBqJVc&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjDp8-DkuniAhWRmuAKHRLwDqcQoiowE3oECAsQBg

Lobster House (rated #25) is also pretty good.
https://mylobsterhouse.com/
photos:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x890041ef3fda9a97:0x89a4623e356ca4cf!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOcYga5Gujy1U-Qt0kA_eb2eT-8wfGhV-YNYtj0=w206-h320-k-no!5slobster house myrtle beach - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipOcYga5Gujy1U-Qt0kA_eb2eT-8wfGhV-YNYtj0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit4NXfl-niAhVCTd8KHVH-CHwQoiowCnoECBAQBg

See Landry's (rated # 16) and Hard Rock Cafe at Broadway at the Beach below.
Also, there are franchises galore on N Kings Hwy...anything and everything.
(We call it "restaurant row" for all the franchises.)

North Myrtle Beach has its own array of restaurants.

TripAdvisor's list of "Best Seafood Restaurants in Myrtle Beach":
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g54359-c33-Myrtle_Beach_South_Carolina.html

"BROADWAY AT THE BEACH"
....a must to visit!!!
Location & aerial view:
https://goo.gl/maps/rNup3WZA5HkRZVop7

check out all the categories here:
https://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/

Many good restaurants, and LOTS of entertainment (concerts, etc).
List of Restaurants:
(Landry's (rated #16) is another favorite, as is Hard Rock Cafe,
but there are too many to list, so see below:
https://www.broadwayatthebeach.com/directory/eat-drink/restaurants

Photos of Broadway at the Beach:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x890068e03fdd10b9:0xf2b97a6ad8c6fdd3!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNdFq62obKH4c08D1_lFnkHy-391bNdrAIk9X76=w568-h320-k-no!5sbroadway at the beach - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNdFq62obKH4c08D1_lFnkHy-391bNdrAIk9X76&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid5PbDlOniAhWIneAKHTUZAKIQoiowHXoECAkQBg

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Great Thread! We are checking in for a week on Thursday. Never been there so keep the ideas coming!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Lobster House Seafood Restaurant
5301 S Kings Hwy, Myrtle Beach, SC 29575
(843) 828-8871
https://goo.gl/maps/QYppuwzRmfN5ECAv7
This is the best restaurant in Myrtle Beach for seafood.
Have a great time!
Silentg

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Several people have said bring bug spray. What kind of "bugs" are we talking about? Ticks? Mosquitoes? Biting Flies? Just need to know what kind of bug repellent to get. Thanks and thanks for all the suggestions.

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I am wondering if renting a car for the week for $244 is more cost effective than just Ubering/Lyfting it around for dinners. Any thoughts?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
With rental cars in high demand for your time frame (summer I assume), $244 is a good price. Keep checking tho.
For me, I'd prefer to have access to a rental car to see the area whenever I want.

Of course it's more cost effective to use Uber, but then you'll be resort-bound and only get out at meals,
and maybe a couple of times otherwise. There are many activities everywhere, and it'll be more memorable
if you can drive around. Or consider renting it for 3-4 days only, and then decide on further days.

Regarding bugs/insects, it's not an issue. Carry a small bottle pf repellent and IF NEEDED you'll have it.
You probably won't use it much, but if you sit on your balcony for 2 hours in the evening where there's no breeze,
or around a pool with no breeze, you might put some on, but again, it's not an issue, only an afterthought.
Needed if you stay near a lagoon-type setting, but at a resort with no lagoons you'll most likely be fine.

ALWAYS take along water shoes, then you'll have them if needed. There are some shells but not many.
The issue is HOT sand in the middle of the day, and hot boardwalks.....you'll wish you had them.
Flip-flops would suffice for that. Need water shoes only to help with shells under the surf, and that is unpredictable.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
14th Street Pier is a great restaurant but busy. Location is the 14th pier. :) Also enjoyed Key West Grille at Broadway by the Beach. It's pirate themed. The other restaurant we really enjoyed was at Barefoot Landing, delicious fish and chips, and our son-in-law really enjoyed the crab legs (but how do you mess up on crab legs?). Our grandson eats only shrimp, and all of the kids' menus had fried shrimp for a good price. We were especially tickled to watch him eat the shrimp in about two minutes. He loved each meal.

The Pirates' Voyage show was so-so. The food was just okay, but it was $300 for the six of us + $40 tip. That was a bit overpriced. But you can go on a timeshare presentation with Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham and get six people in free. We didn't do that. We were asked everywhere we went. Wyndham was especially aggressive at Barefoot Landing, while we waited for the fireworks show. That woman was pretty in my face for several minutes. I finally told her we were never going to go, so stop asking.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would never go without a car. The beaches were about $2 per hour to park, so cheap. The free fireworks shows were well worth the time to go and watch the water above the lakes (there are 3 of them). And to get to good restaurants, it's just nice to have your own transportation.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Visiting at the end of October 2020 --- first time for us in Myrtle Beach, any suggestions of historical sites or state parks for hiking/walking/exploring? Bike rentals? Golf?
Staying at Marriott OceanWatch Villas at Grand Dunes

Merbears

TUG Member
Reaction score
Visiting at the end of October 2020 --- first time for us in Myrtle Beach, any suggestions of historical sites or state parks for hiking/walking/exploring? Bike rentals? Golf?
Staying at Marriott OceanWatch Villas at Grand Dunes

Check out Brookgreen Gardens & Statue Gardens. It’s about 45 minutes south of MB . Totally worth the drive & entrance fee. Plan a good part of a day-lots to see. It has lots of paths to explore with gardens / fountains/ cool statues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bimini Seafood (recommended by bartender at Marriott Ocean Watch @ Grand Dunes pool) - very good food, a little divey but food and service well worth it
Blueberry's Grill - walking distance from Ocean Watch resort - great breakfast and lunch (no dinner hours)
Cyprus Grill - 15-20 minute drive from Ocean Watch - amazing shrimp and grits (believe it is sister restaurant to Smoke & Fire?)
44 & King - great tavern style restaurant with good beer selection and appetizers, outdoor music on Friday night we were there