• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this Wyndham TS a good deal?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I’m new to TS and looking to own in SF. I’d like to have at least a one bedroom with a separate sofa bed every two years at Wyndham Canterbury. I’m going to read the Wyndham TS system. In the meantime, would you all advise whether this resale is a good deal or not?

Weeks:
01 2020
Dates:
1/1/2020
1/8/2020
Season:
Other
Bedrooms:

Bathrooms:

Sleeps:

Sales Price $1.00
Maint Fees $456.00
Posted: 5/7/2019 - Deeded Ownership, Club Wyndham Plus, RCI Membership included

Purchased this program in 2009 while in Vegas for $14,000 US. designed for those who would travel every 2 years with 168,000 pts. could vacation for 1 week just about anywhere by planning your stay a year ahead in the "odd" year. Ownership/Mtn. fees have stayed similar for the 10 years we owned.
Buyer to pay transfer fees and any other legal Wyndham or State fees. BONUS TO BUYER, We own 168,000 points banked with RCI, available now.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m new to TS and looking to own in SF. I’d like to have at least a one bedroom with a separate sofa bed every two years at Wyndham Canterbury. I’m going to read the Wyndham TS system. In the meantime, would you all advise whether this resale is a good deal or not?

Weeks:
01 2020
Dates:
1/1/2020
1/8/2020
Season:
Other
Bedrooms:

Bathrooms:

Sleeps:

Sales Price $1.00
Maint Fees $456.00
Posted: 5/7/2019 - Deeded Ownership, Club Wyndham Plus, RCI Membership included

Purchased this program in 2009 while in Vegas for $14,000 US. designed for those who would travel every 2 years with 168,000 pts. could vacation for 1 week just about anywhere by planning your stay a year ahead in the "odd" year. Ownership/Mtn. fees have stayed similar for the 10 years we owned.
Buyer to pay transfer fees and any other legal Wyndham or State fees. BONUS TO BUYER, We own 168,000 points banked with RCI, available now.
RCI points will not transfer with ownership. Need to transfer to a Wyndham RCI account before transfer.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Should I set up a Wyndham RCI account beforehand then?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I set up a Wyndham RCI account beforehand then?
You already have a RCI account with Wyndham deeded ownership. Points are Wyndham RCI points when you sell Wyndham account RCI account will be canceled. My experience is it takes about 3 months for the RCI account to expire after selling Wyndham ownership. Any vacations already booked will also be good or will not be canceled.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
dgalati - The OP is new to TUG, can you please break the RCI thing down for him - it's not clear.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So pretty much, the seller can use the RCI points to book at the buyer’s choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
The RCI points are a red herring. If you don't already own a Wyndham timeshare, the seller has no way to transfer the points to your Wyndham-linked RCI account. It would be really nice of them if they offered to make you a reservation in their RCI account prior to the transfer, but the odds of this or any San Francisco property having availability in RCI during the window that you're effecting the transfer is pretty slim. RCI is not necessarily going to be able to get you back into your home property given that it's an exchange company, especially given the constraints on the short window of opportunity for potentially using the owner's points in RCI.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like I’m back to considering this TS.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
If am reading correctly, you are asking about a Canterbury contract? For 168,000 every other year? Canterbury has some of the lowest maintenance fees in the Wyndham system. Being an every other year contract increases those just a bit. Looks like $2.7/1000 (my every year Canterbury is $4.2/1000). I'm surprised there is that much difference (I would double check them). Other fees (program fees) can influence that, too. If those are correct, not bad mf. That said, paying only closing costs and the transfer fee seems like a decent deal to me. Many here recommend LT Transfers (as do I). I think it's $200 or $300 for the closing costs, plus the $299 transfer fee. Be sure to confirm your total fees. If that's it, I'd say you have at least a decent (to good) deal, but I'm not sure you will have enough points for what you are looking for. (My gut is wondering if this is really a Canterbury contract and not a different resort).

Here's the Wyndham points chart for Canterbury. It's 300K for a 1 Bedroom Deluxe for a week. The chart you were viewing is an RCI exchange chart.

upload_2019-6-12_13-13-35.png

As far as the RCI, I can't speak to it at all. Others have. Sounds like a good idea to check ahead of time and have them reserve something or get an RCI account. It would not make or break the deal for me, but nice if you can figure out a way to make sure of the RCI points.

So to answer your question (because I'm not so sure we have), is this a good deal, I would say yes except I don't think it will give you enough points to stay at Canterbury via Wyndham. No clue if you could count on depositing the points and using them to exchange in at 126K? I have never used RCI.

Just because I ran across this while looking at this, I'll put it here (I am in no way affiliated with LT Transfers, but sure seems to be the TUG favorite. I have used them and they are great to work with):
L.T. Transfers
www.lttransfers.com
readylegal@gmail.com

Good luck!
Sandi

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will follow up with seller to see if they have a cantebury contract . I don’t mind staying Five weekdays, even if I have to pay $144 for the fifth day. Thank you!

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I will follow up with seller to see if they have a cantebury contract . I don’t mind staying Five weekdays, even if I have to pay $144 for the fifth day. Thank you!

It doesn't have to be a Canterbury contract to use the points for a Canterbury reservation. You would only want a Canterbury contract if you need ARP (advance reservation priority). But I doubt you need it. I can see availability (spotty) in August 2019, Sept pretty good, after that other than a few dates here and there (around Thanksgiving and Jan 13-16), you wouldn't have trouble booking what you need. (What's going on is SF Jan 13-16 :)).

Has anyone mentioned an estoppel? You would want to ask the seller for that.

Good luck!
Sandi

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandi, are you a lawyer? I learned promissory estoppel in law school.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandy Bo, do you mean have an estoppel clause for the seller to pay the cost of 168k RCI points or $99 RCI membership if, months after the transfer, I do not receive those benefits?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Estoppels are commonly requested when purchasing timeshares on the resale market. An estoppel is a document that the management company creates that verifies the basic info about the timeshare deed. Most timeshare title companies request them as part of their standard transfer procedure. It's a way to verify what you are buying, independently from the seller.

In most cases, if the estoppel does not substantiate the timeshare description that the seller has advertised, the buyer usually backs out, or possible renegotiates the deal.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It doesn't have to be a Canterbury contract to use the points for a Canterbury reservation. You would only want a Canterbury contract if you need ARP (advance reservation priority).

You might only need the Canterbury contract if you want ARP. However, you might (and many would) want the Canterbury contract for its very low maintenance fees, regardless of ARP. OP could then even use their points to spend a full week in a 2BR in Williamsburg if they so choose (a location they also expressed interest in), with points to spare.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: I called Original TS owner, who has already accepted an offer from another TUGGER last week. That tugger asked for an estoppel. If they don’t come close in the next three weeks, I’m next. So it’s just a waiting game.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you decide to buy this, be aware that a reputable timeshare title company will request the estoppel as part of their normal process, so you don't have to do it in a separate step.

If the seller wants to do the title transfer himself, I don't recommend that, because you need the guidance of a title company on your first purchase. They will process everything legally and spot any red flags. Normally, the person who pays for the title transfer gets to select the company, so IMNSHO, it's worth every penny for you to pay for the transfer to be sure it's correctly done, and you have the protection of an experienced and professional company working for you.

This is who I use - they are Tuggers, they get high marks on TUG, and they are efficient and inexpensive - usually less than $200. (And they will automatically request an estoppel.)

L.T. Transfers
www.lttransfers.com
readylegal@gmail.com

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LT Transfers will be taking care of this closing.

Fees:

$150 deed prep
$10 postage
$30 recording fees
$299 for Wyndham transfer

You will be receiving 210,000 points on January 1, 2020 and then on each EVEN year.

MF are $709.80 including program fee.

It’s $3.3/1,000, which was not as good at the Canterbury. So I’m guessing this is a decent deal. Enough pts for 5 days in SF cantebury. Just not sure if paying $1420 every two years for five days in SF is a good deal.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’m not an owner of Wyndham but have RCI included with my HIVC. What RCI does to our points is decrease the value 50% so only get half of my HIVC points if I use RCI. Does Wyndham do the same? I mean thru RCI?
We have never used RCI for our HIVC exchanges. We stay in the HIVC or IHG hotel group.
You might want to find out how RCI handles your points?
Silentg

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s $3.3/1,000, which was not as good at the Canterbury. So I’m guessing this is a decent deal. Enough pts for 5 days in SF cantebury. Just not sure if paying $1420 every two years for five days in SF is a good deal.

The total MFs across the two years is $1420 as you state, which makes the MFs per 1,000 points $6.76. (It’s Bonnet Creek, which didn’t come through in the quote.)

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Crap. I’m learning more about TS

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
The total MFs across the two years is $1420 as you state, which makes the MFs per 1,000 points $6.76. (It’s Bonnet Creek, which didn’t come through in the quote.)
Bonnet Creek? That’s not San Francisco

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bonnet Creek? That’s not San Francisco

I believe the OP has moved on to any Wyndham contract with enough points for an adequate vacation in San Francisco.