• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I "Walk" a reservation using Bonus Points?

rdw95

Reaction score
Can I walk a reservation using Bonus Points, or does it have to be done using Club Points only?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Can I walk a reservation using Bonus Points, or does it have to be done using Club Points only?

No free changes allowed for bonus point reservations, so impossible to “walk” it. You would have to cancel and rebook with bonus points, costing a lot of fees and possibly losing the days you already had booked.

From the 2019 Rules:

Changes to Reservations.
All Home Resort Priority, by Hilton Club Priority, and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton Grand Vacations Club affiliated resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided travel is completed during the same calendar year (not applicable to reservations using Bonus Points) .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
What does it mean to “walk” a reservation?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
What does it mean to “walk” a reservation?

With a club points booking, you can reserve out to 9 months before your checkout date. If you want a hard to get date at a particular resort, you can book your stay a few days earlier to hold your spot. You then change your reservation by adding a day to the end of a reservation and removing one from the beginning until you have your desired reservation. Since changing a club reservation is free, it will only cost you the original club reservation fee.

Example: Let's say you wanted spring break in Hawaii from March 8 - March 15, but it books up very fast. You would book your 7 nights tonight for March 4 - March 11. Tomorrow, you would move your reservation up up day (March 5 - March 12) and so on until your have your March 8 - March 15 Vacation. You are basically holding your spot.

Edit: Stupid auto correct. I'm not sure why yogurt wants a hard to book place, but let's say you do.

Last edited:

rdw95

Reaction score
Thanks. That is what I thought.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
With a club points booking, you can reserve out to 9 months before your checkout date. If you want a hard to get date at a particular resort, you can book your stay a few days earlier to hold your spot. You then change your reservation by adding a day to the end of a reservation and removing one from the beginning until you have your desired reservation. Since changing a club reservation is free, it will only cost you the original club reservation fee.

Example: Let's say you wanted spring break in Hawaii from March 8 - March 15, but it books up very fast. You would book your 7 nights tonight for March 4 - March 11. Tomorrow, you would move your reservation up up day (March 5 - March 12) and so on until your have your March 8 - March 15 Vacation. You are basically holding your spot.

Edit: Stupid auto correct. I'm not sure why yogurt wants a hard to book place, but let's say you do.
Oh thanks! That’s makes sense!

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
No free changes allowed for bonus point reservations, so impossible to “walk” it. You would have to cancel and rebook with bonus points, costing a lot of fees and possibly losing the days you already had booked.

From the 2019 Rules:

Changes to Reservations.
All Home Resort Priority, by Hilton Club Priority, and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton Grand Vacations Club affiliated resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided travel is completed during the same calendar year (not applicable to reservations using Bonus Points) .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This must be a new rule because I absolutely walked a couple of reservation several years back using bonus points. One in NYC and I believe another in Cabo. I don't know if they "waved' the fees but I was hit with no fees.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
This must be a new rule because I absolutely walked a couple of reservation several years back. One in NYC and I believe another in Cabo. I don't know if they "waved' the fees but I was hit with no fees.

You did this using Bonus Points?

Cheers.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
You did this using Bonus Points?

Cheers.
Yes for sure. I see the attached rule above so I was surprised. No more bonus points for a couple of years now so not an issue but I absolutely remember walking my stay in Cabo and possibly at 57th St. as well but that one I am less sure of.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
but I absolutely remember walking my stay in Cabo

FA Cabo is no longer bookable (club or of course bonus points) as a changeable reservation. I think that this was changed about 3 years ago.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
FA Cabo is no longer bookable (club or of course bonus points) as a changeable reservation. I think that this was changed about 3 years ago.
This was a little over 3 years ago, maybe 4. It was my first HGVC booking. As I recall the phone agent even explained to me how to "walk" the reservation as I had obviously never done that.

kevreh

Reaction score

So, is this done when the exact dates aren’t available?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So, is this done when the exact dates aren’t available?

It's done when the booking window doesn't quite reach your preferred checkout date.
You can often find days (3N min) that bump up against day 276 at 12:00am ET. So...
Book up to the end of the window, and then each day at 12:00am ET, extend 1 night.
Note that future weekly check-in days may be taken by peep w/home-week bookings.
Also, if you're late to the party and all fast-passes may be gone b4 you take a shot.

kevreh

Reaction score
It's done when the booking window doesn't quite reach your preferred checkout date.
You can often find days (3N min) that bump up against day 276 at 12:00am ET. So...
Book up to the end of the window, and then each day at 12:00am ET, extend 1 night.
Note that future weekly check-in days may be taken by peep w/home-week bookings.
Also, if you're late to the party and all fast-passes may be gone b4 you take a shot.

I see. Also, can you only do this for the same room type? I see a lot of two day availabilities around my booked type, sometimes the same room type, other times not. Thx

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see. Also, can you only do this for the same room type? I see a lot of two day availabilities around my booked type, sometimes the same room type, other times not. Thx

Any room type. You are just extending your club reservation a day until you get your desired reservation.

*edit - I see what you are asking now* It has to be one reservation. You won’t be able to move rooms or add on a new room type to your reservation.

Last edited:

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Is this “walking” just an HGVC thing or any TS?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is this “walking” just an HGVC thing or any TS?

I don’t know, I only own at HGVC. Once you book a reservation (and pay the fee), you can move and change your reservation within your the year as many times as you want. With the exception of a few resorts, all reservations have free changes in HGVC. That’s why walking the reservation can happen. Not sure in other systems.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I don’t know, I only own at HGVC. Once you book a reservation (and pay the fee), you can move and change your reservation within your the year as many times as you want. With the exception of a few resorts, all reservations have free changes in HGVC. That’s why walking the reservation can happen. Not sure in other systems.
In Vistana you have to fully cancel then rebook a reservation. You can’t add dates. I’ve been in situations where I needed to extend so I just booked another two nights added on in a separate reservation.