• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golf Club information [grips replacement]

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been casual golfers for the last 10 years. We went to the driving range for the first time this season last night. My hand grips deteriorated in my hands, what a mess. We finished the bucket of balls and headed for the clubhouse. They are going to put new grips on my 13 clubs for $10 a piece. Is that normal for the grips to deteriorate? I wasn’t sure whether I should regrip them or just buy a new set of clubs. Then the owner said my clubs were too long for me and he’s the one that sold them to me 10 years ago. Hmmm
I’m 5’3 inch, what length of club should I be using? Also, we kept the clubs in the garage, was that a mistake? My husbands grips were fine.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have been casual golfers for the last 10 years. We went to the driving range for the first time this season last night. My hand grips deteriorated in my hands, what a mess. We finished the bucket of balls and headed for the clubhouse. They are going to put new grips on my 13 clubs for $10 a piece. Is that normal for the grips to deteriorate? I wasn’t sure whether I should regrip them or just buy a new set of clubs. Then the owner said my clubs were too long for me and he’s the one that sold them to me 10 years ago. Hmmm
I’m 5’3 inch, what length of club should I be using? Also, we kept the clubs in the garage, was that a mistake? My husbands grips were fine.

If you decide to regroup, would likely get a better price on new grips at a golf store. Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore or whatever may be available in your area.

Technology has changed/improved a lot in the last 10 years, so if you plan to play more it would be worth exploring a new set of clubs. The golf stores I mentioned usually have people who can help you get the best fit for you.

As far as storing your clubs it would be better to keep them indoors if you have the space to do so. We live in Las Vegas, so I try to keep them inside our house during the summer. It’s a bit of a hassle, but I think it’s worth it.

Good luck and happy playing!

Best regards.

Mike

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
That seems expensive to regrip clubs. Here in Canada, depending on the type of grip you choose it can be from $4. to $14. or more. Grips do wear out if the clubs are used alot, and it all depends on the type of grips you had on your clubs.
I agree with the above post, go to a speciality golf store, like PGA Superstore if you are interested in a new set. They are very good in helping people choose the right clubs. They usually have a huge variety of sets from ‘normal’ price to professional super mortgage your home price!!! LOL.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We regrip our clubs every couple of years as they do wear out. However you are better off buying a new set of clubs as technology has improved and it will improve your golf game. Even with a new set of clubs - I recently got Clevelands and ditched my 5-year old Adams golf clubs and the grip was very rough on my hands, I had them regripped them right away with softer grips. You also want to try out different grip sizes for one that fits your hands as well as softness for comfort.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think ten dollars is out of line, I am pretty sure I paid that at my club and at golf galaxy. I think I went to another club and paid a little less last year.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Amazon has their big sale day coming up this month. Last year I got a new set of Callaway clubs for a great price, 50% off. Agree that a golf superstore will have better prices than a course/range.

Hasn’t helped my game, still a bogey golfer with a 20 hdcp, hope to break 80 before I get that old!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
$10 at a pro shop is not out of line. I see cubs getting re-gripped all the time, almost every day. Some grips cost more, just for the grips, not labor.

In 2010 Superfast Burner drivers were a big hit, so I got one for me and one for my buddy. They came with funky grips that deteriorated rapidly where then hands made contact.

I was volunteering behind the counter at Boca Royale in Englewood, FL that Winter and one of the members was re-gripping clubs as a service to members. He did ours for $5 each, and put on the Taylormade grips that should have been used to begin with. They are still just fine.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
You asked what length club to use. I can’t answer but a woman I know took the advice of some guy she met and had all her clubs cut down by at least a foot. She was playing with this set of little short clubs, her game was worthless, I think she gave the clubs to an eight year old and bought new ones.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will check into the Amazon sale, that would be a terrific deal. Before that occurs I will go to a Golf Galaxy an hour north of us to check out the clubs, that way I have an idea what they recommend. I went ahead and had them regrip the clubs because he said I could sell the clubs for more than the regripping cost, once I decided what I wanted. I was afraid if I didn’t just get them replaced then, the clubs would sit in the garage and it would be months before we did anything. I was extremely excited to be at the driving range and wanted to get back there again this week. It’s been interesting discussing this topic and makes me even more excited to get back at the game. I’m not that good but want to be........ What is a decent price to pay for an above average set of clubs and bag?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depends. For someone starting out, a set of about 12 clubs (max is 14 in a bag) costs anything between $500 (low end) to about $999. A set of PXG clubs cost $5K. LOL. I just bought new Cleveland irons (only) and I paid about $1K after adding in chipping and sand wedges. I kept my old Adams driver, a 7 wood and 2 hybrids in my bag as I hit the 14 clubs max. I am currently having problem with hitting a wood and as I get better I will add my old 3 and 5 woods back into my bag and likely take out a couple of the Cleveland irons as I prefer my old Adams 5 and 6 hybrids over the Cleveland 5 and 6 irons.

You will find plenty of good options for a complete starter set at Golf Galaxy.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My next set is going to be Adams hybrid senior flex. I tried some at the range and they felt good. Ball went fairly straight. Some one told me you can get them at Walmart for under $350. I think the ones I used from the pro shop were the Adams speed line.

Currently I have Callaway but I only use the driver, 3 wood, 5 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge and putter. All of the other clubs in this set were lost in the trash. I did switch the driver out as the Callaway ended up in the water and I left it there.

Bill

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
First of all, $10 installed is not a bad price for a decent grip. I usually pay about $8 a grip online and install myself.

If you are not a serious golfer which I assume since this was your first trip to the range this season, don’t spend a lot of money on new clubs. I’ve used this website over the years to buy just about anything golf related that one might need. They sell everything from top of the line to the budget minded hacker. https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf...nder=Ladies&Dexterity=Right&search_return=all

Any decent club pro or driving range will have a club fitter available to get the clubs right for you. Here’s a chart that will help you figure out what length your clubs should be. But it takes a club fitter to do a lie adjustment. Both the proper club length and the proper lie make a ton of difference and and well worth the money if you are going to start taking the game serious. http://www.customgolfstop.com/CustomFitting.htm

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The elusive chase for a club that will make a difference. My husband has seven sets in Florida and four sets in Wisconsin. Probably has about forty putters. Buying new drivers every year with the promise of five extra yards. Too bad it didn’t work.
The husband of the woman who had her clubs cut down bought a set for $2400, still plays the same as he did with the previous set.
We probably have 350 regular golfers at our club, and I have never seen a new set of clubs change anyone’s game enough to lower their handicap. Lessons yes, practice, definitely.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Equipment?

Ten years ago I played with our PGA Pro, GM at the time. On the third tee he said, "Nothing wrong with your game that some new equipment wouldn't solve."

So I bought those two new drivers.

He was wrong.

I did get a tip from an even-older guy in my group last year, and I dropped my GHIN index by 4 points in just one year. That's hard to do after golfing for 60 years.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Equipment?

Ten years ago I played with our PGA Pro, GM at the time. On the third tee he said, "Nothing wrong with your game that some new equipment wouldn't solve."

So I bought those two new drivers.

He was wrong.

I did get a tip from an even-older guy in my group last year, and I dropped my GHIN index by 4 points in just one year. That's hard to do after golfing for 60 years.

So what was the tip you received?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
So what was the tip you received?

Strengthen my grip and put more of my dominant hand into it. That has helped me finish better, close the face, take the banana out of the flight, and add distance.

I laid off from October of last year until two weeks ago, and am hitting my drives 50 yards further this year. I still can't hit it as far as the guys I play with, so in scrambles (the last two weeks) I hit last and only if I have to.

I'm OK from 200 in.

Last edited:

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see where golfing can be very addicting, always trying out better equipment. My new grips will be more square with rounded corners. I’m hoping that will keep my grip from sliding around. I can’t imagine buying a new set and having the grips changed or shortened.

zinger1457

Reaction score
I can see where golfing can be very addicting, always trying out better equipment. My new grips will be more square with rounded corners. I’m hoping that will keep my grip from sliding around. I can’t imagine buying a new set and having the grips changed or shortened.

Square grips??? On a putter it's OK but it's not allowed on irons/woods. Grips on irons and woods have to be circular but you are allowed to have a single rib that goes down the length of the grip, most Ping grips have them. If you are planning on buying new clubs get fitted for them, there are way too many options to select from for even the experienced golfer to figure out, they will determine the type of club, length, grip size, shaft flex, etc. Often times the fitting is free if you buy the clubs from the vendor. Many club manufacturers have free fitting days with no obligation to buy, they will print out a list of your club specs when done, you can take that to most golf shops and custom order your clubs.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My next set is going to be Adams hybrid senior flex. I tried some at the range and they felt good. Ball went fairly straight. Some one told me you can get them at Walmart for under $350. I think the ones I used from the pro shop were the Adams speed line.

Currently I have Callaway but I only use the driver, 3 wood, 5 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge and putter. All of the other clubs in this set were lost in the trash. I did switch the driver out as the Callaway ended up in the water and I left it there.

Bill
You may not know or you may, Adams is out of business. Taylormade bought it a few years ago and immediately shut it down.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you mention Taylormade. Gary Adams, the founder, was a friend of ours. He went to same college, but transferred, we played in a bridge group with him, lived in same town, mchenry, Illinois . We also played in a different bridge group with his parents, Vale and a Marge. He is credited As inventing the metal wood. He was mortgaged to the hilt and so were his parents, a local club pro and a hs Spanish teacher, and got an offer just before he was about to Go under. After that he started the company McHenry Metals, sadly, he had pancreatic cancer and died in his fifties.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will check into the Amazon sale, that would be a terrific deal. Before that occurs I will go to a Golf Galaxy an hour north of us to check out the clubs, that way I have an idea what they recommend. I went ahead and had them regrip the clubs because he said I could sell the clubs for more than the regripping cost, once I decided what I wanted. I was afraid if I didn’t just get them replaced then, the clubs would sit in the garage and it would be months before we did anything. I was extremely excited to be at the driving range and wanted to get back there again this week. It’s been interesting discussing this topic and makes me even more excited to get back at the game. I’m not that good but want to be........ What is a decent price to pay for an above average set of clubs and bag?
What sort of clubs do you have? Most clubs have no resale value, unless there is some sort of trade-in promo when you get a new set.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
You may not know or you may, Adams is out of business. Taylormade bought it a few years ago and immediately shut it down.

Should I get them while I can or maybe wait a month to see if they get blown out for new inventory ?

I guess it doesn't really matter that much. I golf about 6 times a year and I think the clubs that I have seem to like me. The ones that didn't are gone.

Bill

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Should I get them while I can or maybe wait a month to see if they get blown out for new inventory ?

I guess it doesn't really matter that much. I golf about 6 times a year and I think the clubs that I have seem to like me. The ones that didn't are gone.

Bill
I still love my Adams. You may want to buy them while you can. They have been out of business for a few years already. The Adams clubs are slowly creeping back to my bag, replacing a new Cleveland iron every few days...

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zinger1457
You are exactly right, they don’t put square grips on any clubs but the putter. I got my clubs back and it costs me $180, I was in shock since I thought I had picked out a square cheap grip. That was just for the putter. The rest of the clubs got beautiful hot pink expense grips!!! Wow, was I shocked. Quite a misunderstanding, mostly on my part. I did play a round of gold Saturday and had a great time so.....oh well! I can quit shopping for a new set of clubs now since I stuck so much money into these by accident. As far as resale, I think the owner of the golf course thought a high schooler would want them. IDK