• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Waze just inherited one of the best Features of Google Maps

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is great. I love WAZE. I hope they do this for the IPHONE soon.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I tried Waze for the first time last weekend, and a 20-min trip burned through 60% of my battery on my iPhone! Google maps would only use 2-5% on that same trip. I don't think I'll be using it again...

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I tried Waze for the first time last weekend, and a 20-min trip burned through 60% of my battery on my iPhone! Google maps would only use 2-5% on that same trip. I don't think I'll be using it again...

Kurt

I keep my iphone plugged in when using WAZE

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep my iphone plugged in when using WAZE
The other issue is due to the huge power usage, when I did plug it in for the next trip is that my phone was hot to the touch while using Waze. That is not good for a phone and will definitely reduce the product life. Unless they change whatever they are doing that causes a large power draw, it is not worth it to me to use Waze.

Kurt

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The other issue is due to the huge power usage, when I did plug it in for the next trip is that my phone was hot to the touch while using Waze. That is not good for a phone and will definitely reduce the product life. Unless they change whatever they are doing that causes a large power draw, it is not worth it to me to use Waze.

Kurt

I’ve used waze for years without these issues. It’s not as big a deal in practice as you suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve used waze for years without these issues. It’s not as big a deal in practice as you suggest.
A quick Google search shows that I am hardly alone with these issues. It may be phone model dependent, but for now Waze is off my list.

Kurt

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried waze a year ago with serious battery drain. I couldn't believe an app could do that so I deleted it and reinstall. Nope, killed my battery in no time flat.

Hopefully they fix that as I did like the app.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have found Waze in the past has taken me way out of the way when it didn’t need to.

Brett

Reaction score

Kurt

all the navigation apps use GPS and updated maps which require you to keep charging the phone
I've been using WAZE on Android cell phones for years without any problems.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
all the navigation apps use GPS and updated maps which require you to keep charging the phone
I've been using WAZE on Android cell phones for years without any problems.
See my first post above. HUGE difference in battery usage between Waze and Google Maps. I can use Google Maps for hours w/o the need to plug in my phone.

Kurt

Brett

Reaction score
See my first post above. HUGE difference in battery usage between Waze and Google Maps. I can use Google Maps for hours w/o the need to plug in my phone.

Kurt

then continue using google maps for your navigation needs
I'll continue to use WAZE

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
then continue using google maps for your navigation needs
I'll continue to use WAZE
I never told anyone which app to use, just reporting the battery usage issue and correcting misinformation. I really don't care what anyone uses.

Kurt

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I never told anyone which app to use, just reporting the battery usage issue and correcting misinformation. I really don't care what anyone uses.

Kurt
I agree with you with battery issue. I prefer Google too.

Brett

Reaction score
You what they say about opinions...

OK, fine - it's opinions and people that use Google (for opinions and other advice)

remember when people once used dedicated GPS devices for navigation instead of free apps ... now we have lots of advice!

waze_1_18-17-00.jpg

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts

Kurt
Thanks for sharing your experience. This has been my experience also... I thought it was just me! I never bothered googling the issue because I don't think about it when I'm not driving & using the app. I usually start it and turn off the phone screen... I just just need to hear directions.

I love Waze but might have to switch to Google maps until they address the problem. So...if they fix it someone needs to let us know on TUG because I probably won't find out otherwise!

Thanks, Richard, for another helpful article!

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like Waze too but the battery drain has gotten worse for me over the past few months. On a recent trip, the battery was draining even as I had it plugged in.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really like Waze too but the battery drain has gotten worse for me over the past few months. On a recent trip, the battery was draining even as I had it plugged in.
Yes, when I googled regarding the battery usage, several others said that they experienced the same thing -- Waze was drawing more power than the charger was providing! There is something definitely wrong with an app when that happens. Hopefully they will fix it. I don't care what anyone says; when a phone or any electronic runs that hot, it can't be good for the device or the battery.

Kurt

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Yes, when I googled regarding the battery usage, several others said that they experienced the same thing -- Waze was drawing more power than the charger was providing! There is something definitely wrong with an app when that happens. Hopefully they will fix it. I don't care what anyone says; when a phone or any electronic runs that hot, it can't be good for the device or the battery.

Kurt

I’m not sure of the reason why it would drain, mine doesn’t seem to but I only have the app open for coo and traffic alerts on the road I’m on. I don’t program a gps address

My only guess would be that if using it as a gps then it is doing many more task than just directions

It is watching for police and other Waze post, construction and possible re routes if accidents are showing via your route
South all that it does. Maybe it’s like having 3-4 apps running therefore heating your device and draining the battery

Brett

Reaction score
I’m not sure of the reason why it would drain, mine doesn’t seem to but I only have the app open for coo and traffic alerts on the road I’m on. I don’t program a gps address

My only guess would be that if using it as a gps then it is doing many more task than just directions

It is watching for police and other Waze post, construction and possible re routes if accidents are showing via your route
South all that it does. Maybe it’s like having 3-4 apps running therefore heating your device and draining the battery

there is a reason WAZE is the most popular free navigation app (besides google maps)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waze

WAZE_2.jpg

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
FWIW - we use Waze when traveling, not so much when just driving around locally. When on the road, I've often got the phone's Wifi hotspot turned on also so the non-driver can use his/her wifi-only tablet. Even so, with the phone plugged into the charger we're able to charge faster than Waze discharges the battery. Samsung Galaxy S7.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Kurt

I’m curious if you have the battery saver mode active, and what settings you’ve selected for location tracking. I believe these are some of the options Waze implemented for Android to help users balance battery life and features.

I routinely keep my phone (iPhone) plugged in while in my car, so I don’t notice any issues with battery. Certainly if it’s constantly connected, downloading maps and more, then it’s going to use the battery more than other apps. GPS apps in general have consumed more battery life than others, and that’s why there are some options available (for instance, I don’t have mine active when in background so I don’t use the proactive calendar integration features).

As for Google Maps not draining the battery...do you download the maps in advance? I believe that’s a feature more commonly used with Google Maps and would impact battery since it wouldn’t be using the network quite as much. I’m not sure in which other way Google Maps would not drain the battery more than Waze, other than poor programming which is what you imply and is certainly possible.

Also, which phone (make/model) do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One thing now I am going to take note of this. I have a small, older model IPHONE SE. I rarely use WAZE- only if I need to- and I mostly keep the phone plugged in in the car if I am using it.