• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New buyer wants help with Canterbury or other SF timeshare

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I moved this thread from the Newbies Forum. DeniseM

----------------------

I'm trying to learn timeshare system, details, benefits, risks, etc.. Is this a good deal? Just for my understanding, why or why not? It seems that as long as I can plan an odd year in advance, I can stay at least one week in SF during even years. My family and I aren't too picky. As long as timeshare is at least 3.0 stars, we are pretty happy. Looks like resort is located in between Tenderloin and Chinatown, which is safe during the day, but I wouldn't want around at night unless it's changed in the last couple of years. Tenderloin is actually very bad, but we manage.

Posted: 5/7/2019 - Deeded Ownership, Club Wyndham Plus, RCI Membership includedview ad

WYNDHAM.png
Purchased this program in 2009 while in Vegas for $14,000 US. designed for those who would travel every 2 years with 168,000 pts. could vacation for 1 week just about anywhere by planning your stay a year ahead in the "odd" year. Ownership/Mtn. fees have stayed similar for the 10 years we owned.
Buyer to pay transfer fees and any other legal Wyndham or State fees. BONUS TO BUYER, We own 168,000 points banked with RCI, available now.

I forgot to add these details.

Weeks:
01 2020
Dates:
1/1/2020
1/8/2020
Season:
Other
Bedrooms:

Bathrooms:

Sleeps:

Sales Price $1.00
Maint Fees $456.00
Posted: 5/7/2019

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of us treat timesharing as a hobby. Getting the 'best' exchanges, maximizing unit sizes, exchanging or upgrading into ocean front/view with a 'lesser' ownership, and providing quality vacations for families. You will find that the places are FULL of kids. Oh, there are the smattering of gray hairs and a few youngish couples, but mostly families.

So, uh, do you need a hobby?

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It seems really high for a resale, but for expert opinions on Wyndham, you should post on the TUG Wyndham forum.

However, I do like that resort and have stayed there twice. We felt perfectly safe returning at night.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Check out the unit types and reviews on the Canterbury. We stayed once, years ago, in a 2BR Penthouse and were somewhat underwhelmed. While the unit was ok, it furnished what we expected from a "standard" unit w/out having to go "Penthouse": laundry, full kitchen, 2BR with separate bathrooms. We were surprised to learn that this location went minimalistic in the "regular" units. (On the other hand, that isn't entirely uncommon for "urban" locations. Just know the layouts going in and balance features, price, availability, etc.)

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It seems really high for a resale, but for expert opinions on Wyndham, you should post on the TUG Wyndham forum.

However, I do like that resort and have stayed there twice. We felt perfectly safe returning at night.

Supposedly he is reselling for $1, as he bought for $14,000. Is the MF high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most of us treat timesharing as a hobby. Getting the 'best' exchanges, maximizing unit sizes, exchanging or upgrading into ocean front/view with a 'lesser' ownership, and providing quality vacations for families. You will find that the places are FULL of kids. Oh, there are the smattering of gray hairs and a few youngish couples, but mostly families.

So, uh, do you need a hobby?

Jim

I don’t need another hobby, but I do need to know enough to get a great deal. I want to get the most I can with the least amount of work. I don’t mind kids and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is the maintenance fee listed?

Just to clarify - maintenance fees are standardized, so within a resort, all deeds of the same type pay the same maintenance fee. So you can't dicker on the maintenance fee like you can the purchase price - it's predetermined. In other words, the only way to get a lower maintenance fee is to buy fewer points which translates into a smaller unit, or fewer days, or a less popular season.

Also - San Francisco doesn't have timeshares with fancy resort amenities like multiple restaurants, bars, pools, spas, etc. People who visit SF want to explore the city, not sit at the resort.

In my opinion, Canterbury is the most upscale of the SF resorts, because it's newish, and they pretty much gutted the building and built completely new units. Most of the other SF timeshares are remodeled hotel rooms and they look like remodeled hotel rooms.

Offseason, when kids are in school, we see far fewer kids when we travel. During school holidays is when you see the most kids.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is the maintenance fee listed?

Just to clarify - maintenance fees are standardized, so within a resort, all deeds of the same type pay the same maintenance fee. So you can't dicker on the maintenance fee like you can the purchase price - it's predetermined. In other words, the only way to get a lower maintenance fee is to buy fewer points which translates into a smaller unit, or fewer days, or a less popular season.

Also - San Francisco doesn't have timeshares with fancy resort amenities like multiple restaurants, bars, pools, spas, etc. People who visit SF want to explore the city, not sit at the resort.

In my opinion, Canterbury is the most upscale of the SF resorts, because it's newish, and they pretty much gutted the building and built completely new units. Most of the other SF timeshares are remodeled hotel rooms and they look like remodeled hotel rooms.

Offseason, when kids are in school, we see far fewer kids when we travel. During school holidays is when you see the most kids.

The MF is $456.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - but:

-I don't know if that will give you a 1 bdm, or what size, or season for the number of points you get.

-With Wyndham, you can sometimes buy points at a different resort that has a lower maintenance fee, and use the points for other Wyndham resorts - Canterbury for example. That may be a better deal - I don't know in this case.

For expert help, I'd start a discussion on the TUG Wyndham forum - I'm going to move the Wyndham part of this conversation there.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
168,000 points will get you 4 weeknights in a 1BR at Canterbury, plus some leftover points. If you wanted to rent points from Wyndham at $12/1000 for extra points to complete the 5th weeknight, it would be an additional $144 out of pocket. Canterbury is prime season year-round.

Edit: The plus side is Canterbury is one of the lowest MF/1,000 points in all of Wyndham. The minus is it still costs a lot of points to stay there.

Last edited: