• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Home Security (DIY?)

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Do you have two neighbors? Perhaps they both have a Netgear router.

Not near enough to show the strong signal I see. Both are almost as strong as ours, with the router ten feet away.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Huh. Mine don't show up when I check so I'm at a loss.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Lol! I think you're the retired (or nearly) version of me. Well played my sarcastic friend.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Why would I be seeing two "Netgears" on my available networks, and with exactly the same, strong signal strength?
Most likely answer: both "Netgears" networks you are seeing are coming from the same router. Most modern routers have a main network and a guest network that can both be turned on at the same time. My last three routers have had this feature.

Kurt

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Most likely answer: both "Netgears" networks you are seeing are coming from the same router. Most modern routers have a main network and a guest network that can both be turned on at the same time. My last three routers have had this feature.

Kurt
Exactly. They're called dual band routers. Dual band routers use both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequencies. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance. 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Okey dokey.

dual band neighbor

Regina Smith

Reaction score
I plan to buy a home alarm system, and a CCTV camera. I am looking forward to the security system can protect my family effectively. But do I need to buy cloud service for CCTV camera monitoring? How much will I cost?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I plan to buy a home alarm system, and a CCTV camera. I am looking forward to the security system can protect my family effectively. But do I need to buy cloud service for CCTV camera monitoring? How much will I cost?
You don't need to. But it's a good idea to have local and cloud storage of your camera footage. It'll depend on what system you go with.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ring.com has inexpensive devices and you can get a $100/year plan that will cover all your devices and save video output to the cloud.

I have 2 video doorbells, front and back, that coast $60/year to save the video.

Here's me going out to get the newspaper this morning. I'm moving kind of slow because I haven't had any coffee yet.

https://ring.com/share/6755810220336644450

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Does ring have local storage too? Other than being able to save clips down from the cloud?
Arlo has 7 days off free cloud storage for up to 5 devices and has a central hub which you can connect local storage to.

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Skybell video doorbell that is motion activated and I just installed two Blink XT2 security cameras last week. I have had the Skybell for about two years now and it has been great while we travel. All of these units connect via wifi and you can also talk thru each using a smartphone app. The biggest reason I chose them is because they have NO monthly fees to pay! Once you purchase the units that is the end. I purchased the Skybell on Amazon but the Blink cameras at Best Buy. You can buy one, two, or three cameras at a time. I found them to be the absolute easiest piece of tech gear I have ever installed. Both keep files for about two weeks.

Neil

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does ring have local storage too? Other than being able to save clips down from the cloud?
Arlo has 7 days off free cloud storage for up to 5 devices and has a central hub which you can connect local storage to.

Our Arlo has 30 days of cloud storage for $99 per year. We also have Ring with cloud storage.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ring does not have local storage. If your wi-fi is out, your videos never make it to the cloud.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
OK. Thanks.

I'm looking for something with cams I can put up myself. Not an "ADT-like" system.

Wireless.

Working with our wifi. Probably a small monthly fee for saving to the cloud.

I know I've read about some like that, but I'm looking for someone who actually has one.

I trail trail cams for areas that are remote like my cabin and construction lot. They are kind of obvious at night as they do use infrared light. This actually works to attract the persons face to the camera as they look up to see what is going on. So far, the pictures show that most of the people that get a cam picture taken are people I know. I was surprised to see young relatives having parties at the cabin and other unauthorized people wandering around the cabin and lot.

Bill

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can this be connected to a moniter service if a break in occurs the police are called. Is there a fire feature to notify fire station?

We use Blink as well. It does not notify police but we can talk through it and it sends us notifications to our phone whenever it is activated. You can set them to record, turn them off or on, look at a live view.

We had a porch bandit earlier this year that our front door recorded. We turned it over to the police and they were eventually caught. After that, we added 2 more so that we can capture license plates if needed.