• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
Someplace within a few hours driving distance from DC, MD, VA. I don’t want my vacation to depend on flights. I like Ocean City, Williamsburg, Massanutten. Only place I’d travel every year by plane for a TS is near San Francisco close to my family. I know SF actually very quite well.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Visit home resort at least half the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Anywhere that I haven’t been to. I’ve been to Bahamas, Aruba, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Australia, Mexico, California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Ohio, Kentucky, TN, NC, PA, Delaware, DC, MD, Va, WV, NJ, NY.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Any time

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?
More the better. 3 stars is decent. 3.5 is comfortable.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
$5,000.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
$1,500.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
No.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
I do now. Thank you!

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Howdy and Welcome!
Adding another question to the survey: How do you anticipate timeshare might enhance your future travel? (What are you hoping to gain?)

I ask, as your survey has me wondering, "How can timeshare help this individual?" You are well traveled; successful with your current tools. Question 11 is a bit of a red flag ... suggesting that booking hotels, cruises, vacation packages (etc) on cash might offer the ultimate flexibility with least risk should your plans change.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Howdy and Welcome!
Adding another question to the survey: How do you anticipate timeshare might enhance your future travel? (What are you hoping to gain?)

I ask, as your survey has me wondering, "How can timeshare help this individual?" You are well traveled; successful with your current tools. Question 11 is a bit of a red flag ... suggesting that booking hotels, cruises, vacation packages (etc) on cash might offer the ultimate flexibility with least risk should your plans change.

Thanks for reply. The more I think about it, unless I know the area well, I get bored with an area after four days. This is partly because as I admittedly don’t plan well, I often don’t fully know all the area attractions or lesser-known gems. It’s hard to me to envision spending an entire week at most of USA places I’ve been to.

The only USA places I know well and won’t get bored visiting for a week outside MD/DC/VA are: San Francisco/Napa Valley or Los Angeles. For Los Angeles, I visit annually and stay at my parents. I visited SF/Napa Valley twelve (12) times in past twelve (12) years, but only twice in the past six (6) years. SF/Napa Valley never gets old for me.

Timeshare might help me visit my family in SF more often. It’d be nice if my patents in LA would stay with me in the TS as well. If my parents start to annoy me, I can always tell them to leave after a couple of days.

With respect to Question 11, I admittedly am not a detailed oriented planner. I don’t plan well on vacations, as work can be hectic, tiring, and energy-draining. I sort of do what the attractions pamphlets or trip advisor tell me. In SF, I hit all the memorable spots or lesser-known gems without much planning due to my familiarity with the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Okay! So you would want a 2BR unit, or larger, for visiting with parents in SF/Napa or LA areas. YES! We love using timeshare for family gatherings. Everyone has their own space; we can enjoy common space together (kitchen/living room); there is no pressure to "clean the house" before or after hosting the family; everything looks great inside and out w/out clutter. Timeshare is a big win for family meet-ups.

Beyond California ... what size units might you seek for DC/VA/MD travels? Will these also be shared with friends & family? (Again, just trying to see value for timeshare vs hotel.) Is a 'forced vacation' part of the allure given your busy work schedule? Could you see yourself participating in on-property activities or sitting poolside?

Now you've seen a "4 day" pattern ... are you thinking a points based system might be a better fit than a "full week" system? With points, you may book shorter stays, vary your arrival day-of-the-week but may pay additional fees for the resort's added housekeeping efforts.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[QUOTE="Beyond California ... what size units might you seek for DC/VA/MD travels? Will these also be shared with friends & family? (Again, just trying to see value for timeshare vs hotel.) Is a 'forced vacation' part of the allure given your busy work schedule? Could you see yourself participating in on-property activities or sitting poolside?

Now you've seen a "4 day" pattern ... are you thinking a points based system might be a better fit than a "full week" system? With points, you may book shorter stays, vary your arrival day-of-the-week but may pay additional fees for the resort's added housekeeping efforts.[/QUOTE]

For DC/MD/VA rentals, I really only need 1-2 bedrooms, and really for 3-4 days. Most of my friends have kids or spouses, so their availability is unpredictable. I would travel mostly with my wife and maybe her parents.

I admit a “forced vacation” is part of the allure, but I am over-rating that, I see now.

I do think a points-based system might be better. For about two days, I participate in on-property activities (I can do six different on-property activities in one day). I like to venture outside the resort unless it’s dangerous like Mexico, China (sketch outside main cities), or Bahamas (sketch outside main resorts)

It may shock you, but I do most of my planning on the plane fight. In the flight, I read on my IPad or printed out attractions pamphlets/brochures or trip advisor recommendations.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sure others will chime in soon .... my initial suggestion based on the conversation above:
  • A small Worldmark contract, resale. This will give you direct access to any/all Worldmark properties especially Windsor, Clearlake and SF (SF has only small units; considered an "urban" resort). A small contract (5000-7000 credits) won't be big enough to book a full week on credits every year but can secure reservations through cash programs: Inventory Special, Monday Madness, etc. Booking reservations will require advance planning ... however, the cancellation policy is generous. Book stuff as a "maybe" and then set calendar reminders to cancel as your plans take shape. Most Worldmark locations are west coast ... with a smattering moving eastward or co-located with Wyndham properties.
  • Wyndham Club Wyndham Access (CWA) for the locations near you. I'm on thin ice on this one as I don't own Wyndham CWA. Others will join the thread to fill this out.
Note, both of the above timeshare systems fall under the same Developer Umbrella, Wyndham Destinations. There is some cross over between the two product lines but resales owners from either side will not be able to book inventory exclusive to the other side. That is why I'm suggesting "a little of both."

Looking forward to seeing what others suggest. :)

Edited to add: Not too shocked by the 'in flight' confession. One of our best trips done that way, sorta. In advance we had booked:
  • Two back-to-back timeshare exchanges in South Africa at different properties. Never heard of either one prior too booking.
  • Flights, via "points" (either milage awards or Amex rewards?).
  • One rental car.
  • One night hotel (arrival night) to allow us to recover from the flights before picking up the rental car.
  • Pre-travel doc visit and vaccinations.
Beyond that, we winged it. Awesome vacation. Had a great time; went to lots of great places; saw lots of animals ... all self-guided. NOTE: Booking the timeshares did require advance planning (~7 months) as did the air travel. Once booked, we didn't worry about it until time to pack a suitcase and bring the animals to their kennels.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
One more note: San Francisco has very few timeshares and they book up months, even a year, in advance. In #11 you say you are not detail oriented - successful timesharing requires learning the sometimes tedious reservation rules and planning in well in advance - often a year in advance, so timesharing may not be your cup of tea.

Timesharing is very different than just calling up and making a hotel reservation, because you are competing with all other timeshare owners for the best dates and best resorts.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is not very specific but I don't see timeshare being a great fit for a single traveler. The primary benefit of timeshare is the large units that you can get for not a lot more than the price of a room, for generally a full week (for best value). As others have noted, it also requires planning and a bit of gaming the system to get the best value and locations.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Generally agree with @davidvel because larger units offer outsized value vs. the hotel rooms. The other factor is if you want guaranteed oceanfront in Hawaii, or other beach locale, ski resort etc.amenity or reasonably priced access to NYC.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is not very specific but I don't see timeshare being a great fit for a single traveler. The primary benefit of timeshare is the large units that you can get for not a lot more than the price of a room, for generally a full week (for best value). As others have noted, it also requires planning and a bit of gaming the system to get the best value and locations.

Thanks for your input. I generally travel with my wife. I understand that unless I start planning well, a timeshare isn’t the best fit. If I’d want a timeshare, it would be so my parents and I can visit our families in SF, which never bores me.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You said you travel with "1" which confused us - so it sounds like generally there are 2 people in your party.

If you join TUG, ($15) you will have access to our member's only timeshare reviews and ratings.

After you join, I recommend that you start off by browsing through the timeshares in San Francisco and see what looks interesting, because if that's your primary destination, you may want to own there, to make reserving easier. Owners always have priority at their home resort over exchangers.

TUG Resorts and Reviews - from the menu on the bottom left, drill down to California, and then put San Francisco in the search box.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You said you travel with "1" which confused us - so it sounds like generally there are 2 people in your party..
But "1" is an accurate answer to the question. If my husband and I travel together, how many people am I traveling with? One. Perhaps the survey could be modified to ask for total party size? {wink, wink, nudge, nudge}

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I try to avoid using "party," because I find that some people don't understand that it means "group." Especially, if English isn't their first language. I once had a renter who insisted that I change "party" to "family" on his reservation, because he wasn't having a party.

However, I edited it to make it clearer.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I try to avoid using "party," because I find that some people don't understand that it means "group." Especially, if English isn't their first language. I once had a renter who insisted that I change "party" to "family" on his reservation, because he wasn't having a party.

However, I edited it to make it clearer.
LOL. Yep, I understand. I've sometimes allowed myself to get a bit ruffled at the emphasis on VACATION wrt timeshare. Many of my stays are for conferences; I'm here for *work* with better in-room amenities than the convention center hotel. Quit trying to ask me to smile, relax or have fun. No, it isn't a vacation. Sigh. I'm trying to tone that nerve down a bit. :D

Thanks for the rewording on the Survey. I like it!!

And aren't you glad your renter wasn't hosting a party?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify - maintenance fees are standardized so within a resort, all deeds of the same type pay the same maintenance fee.

I see. So if one year is $456, I’m paying around $900 for an one week timeshare every two weeks?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I moved the Wyndham portion of this thread to the Wyndham Forum.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DeniseM and rhonda, that is funny about the TS renter fussing about the word “party. “

One time in Bahamas, wife and I went to the Governor’s mansion via taxi. We reached the end of the road to the mansion, and I said, “Oh. Dead end!” The taxi driver told me in a worried voice: “No. Don’t worry. No one died here. It’s safe.”

I started laughing and explained how in America, “dead end” was like “end of the road.” =D

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: I offered my parents free accommodations if they stayed at a timeshare at SF. They declined saying they lived in SF for five years and are bored. They told me that I know all the SF places and lesser-known gems because they took me there as a kid. I still have fond, happy memories of SF. I admittedly was disappointed in my parents’ response.

My parents say they would go to a Hawaii timeshare. I’m not going to buy a timeshare at a place I have never been.

So now, I am considering Williamsburg. I love this place, the old colonial feel, and it’s rich but somber history. I can spend an entire week here. Busch Gardens is close by. I do get saddened when I visit slave cemeteries (often without headstones). But it’s a somber reminder about the evils of bigotry and human failings.

My little sister, her husband, and daughter is willing to stay with us in Williamsburg. I would not charge them. I outearn both of them, though not combined. Additionally, having a child is expensive, though I don’t have children yet.

Researching on TUG, a 1BR, BA in Williamsburg is $600 MF. A 2BR, 2 BA is $700 MF. I’m thinking about the latter. I’m going to ask for advice in some other TUG section.

My wife is very down-to-earth. She can spend a week anywhere and not be bored.

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To all: Are large, clean, comfortable, safe units generally available at Williamsburg via exchange? What are the inventory patterns in various Clubs / Mini-Systems? I know there are many, many timeshare in that area ... is it a fairly easy trade?

I'm kinda thinking that if I were interested in that area, I'd be looking for a points system (aka Club or 'mini-system') that had a reasonable offering in Williamsburg as well as other locations in DC/VA/MD rather than owning a single-location property.

Edited to add: I will hope to come back and edit this post later with a few links regarding market saturation and its impact on both trade value and exit strategy. I know we've (the greater TUG community) discussed this at least a few times ... but for now ... I have to go feed horses and do yard work before the heat rises.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am seriously considering this TS. I prefer fixed, definite weeks to plan around, as I have to do extra work with floating or points, I will give it the weekend to think, talk with my wife, and then let you all know.

For Sale Fixed | EOYO | SatToSat
Williamsburg Plantation
Weeks:
11 2021
11 2021
Dates:
03/13/2021
3/20/2021
Season:
Red
Bedrooms:
4 L
Bathrooms:
Sleeps:
Sales Price $99.00
Maint Fees $440.00
Posted: 5/7/2019 - Seller paying all closing costs and transfer fees - Entire purchase price only $99!
view ad
Week 11 Every Odd Year - 4 Bedroom Unit - Sleeps 12 - Fantastic Deal!

Licensed Real Estate Broker, ARDA Member and Board Member of the LTRBA. Contact us today for more information

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going to close this thread, since you have posted the same questions in other forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.