• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Social Security question

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I passed 70 seven years ago and still ski for three months in Steamboat every year, I’m building an airplane and fly another I recently bought, have a number of friends, both male and female, who I travel with after my wife passed five years ago and enjoy the h*** out of life.

IMNSHO, if one expects to be dead at 70, they probably will be. Worrying about when one will die is worth about 15 minutes, then make a decision about plans and get on with life:thumbup:.

Cheers
Young at heart, enjoying. We all should strive to be this way.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Okay now I have a clear rationale for collecting at 62 for both of us. We will be almost dead by 70.

I would consider the break even point at about 80 the rationale meaning that starting benefits at 62 is the same amount of benefit paid until about 80 years old. At the break even point the higher monthly payment means you collect more until you pass.

From what I see with my wife's parents and the parents of many of my friends and relatives is that life's physical activities slow down quite a bit after 80. About half didn't make it to 80 while some are in their 90's. Many ended up in nursing homes or retirement facilities after 80.

One friends dad just turned 95 and came over to have a beer with me on my birthday. He still travels. He still lives at home on his ranch with his daughter and son in law. He is one of my older friends.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you retire before 65, make sure you figure in the cost of health insurance. The cheapest (and ONLY) plan in our geographic market this year costs over $25,000 for DH and me. That covers an annual physical and a flu shot for each of us. Coverage for anything else doesn't kick in until a $7,900 deductible per person has been met - which I just blew through with a surgery.

I thought the deductibles were much lower with Medicare. Is this why people buy the supplemental Medicare insurance ? When I dealt with Medicare for my inlaws we did purchase supplemental insurance but often had huge medical expenses because of hospital admittance not being three days before going to the nursing home or medications. I think getting out of the hospital 12 hours early cost about $30,000 in nursing home care. We did purchase a long term care insurance that paid about half of the nursing home bill.

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All these assumption based on todays rule will differ if you are a widow/widowerer.

This is thought out assuming the living and the deceased are eligible for about the same SS benefit amount and full retirement age is 67.

The widow/widower can start collecting at 60 if they didn’t remarry prior to 60, at 70% of the deceased benefits. The widow/widower benefit based on their earnings would be a similar amount, so still keep collecting on the desceased at 62. The widow/widower can wait to collect on their earnings at 67 or 70 Waiting until 70 with this scenario might be worth waiting especially if longevity is in your family or if you remarried and your spouse can collect based on your benefit.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill, you can't get Medicare coverage until 65, unless you are a qualifying widow/er or have a disability. My earlier post was just a reminder to not forget to budget for healthcare to fill the gap years between your old employee health insurance and Medicare.

Brett

Reaction score
Okay now I have a clear rationale for collecting at 62 for both of us. We will be almost dead by 70.

wow, planning to be 'almost dead' at 70 !
I gotta believe you're young and 70 feels old to you. My mother was still traveling the world at 70, 80 and even till age 95. At 98 she's slowed down a bit

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All these assumption based on todays rule will differ if you are a widow/widowerer.

This is thought out assuming the living and the deceased are eligible for about the same SS benefit amount and full retirement age is 67.

The widow/widower can start collecting at 60 if they didn’t remarry prior to 60, at 70% of the deceased benefits. The widow/widower benefit based on their earnings would be a similar amount, so still keep collecting on the desceased at 62. The widow/widower can wait to collect on their earnings at 67 or 70 Waiting until 70 with this scenario might be worth waiting especially if longevity is in your family or if you remarried and your spouse can collect based on your benefit.
You lost me here.
If you are referring to survivor benefits, the survivor gets the deceased SS amount in full at survivor's Full Retirement Age. If the widow/widower applies to collect survivor benefits at age 60, SS office said to my husband and I that the amount can be 85% to 100% of deceased SS benefits. She could not explain how it is computed. You may not know who was Fern Modena, she passed away a couple of years ago. Her husband collected his SS early and passed away. Fern started survivor benefits at 60 and she said it was in full with no reduction of her late husband's SS benefits. There is little to none explanation on how survivor benefits are calculated that are available on the internet other than the amount is not reduced if the survivor collects at FRA.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You lost me here.
If you are referring to survivor benefits, the survivor gets the deceased SS amount in full at survivor's Full Retirement Age. If the widow/widower applies to collect survivor benefits at age 60, SS office said to my husband and I that the amount can be 85% to 100% of deceased SS benefits. She could not explain how it is computed. You may not know who was Fern Modena, she passed away a couple of years ago. Her husband collected his SS early and passed away. Fern started survivor benefits at 60 and she said it was in full with no reduction of her late husband's SS benefits. There is little to none explanation on how survivor benefits are calculated that are available on the internet other than the amount is not reduced if the survivor collects at FRA.
I know this from personal experience. I spoke with SS. My example is assuming that the deceased passed prior to age 62 and was not collecting SS and the surviving spouse had to wait until 60 to get the survivor benefit. As stated on Social securitys website
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou.html#h2
  • In many cases, a widow or widower can begin receiving one benefit at a reduced rate and then, at full retirement age, switch to the other benefit at an unreduced rate.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
If you are starting SS benefits or have already started SS, and you just turned 65 and enrolled in Medicare then the premium of $135.5, which is the 2019 Medicare premiums, is taken out of your SS check. There is not a separate $35 deduction for Part D. However if you want to add on an Advantage or Supplement plans, then you will pay additional premiums to the insurance companies.

The above premium is for a couple having income (MAGI) of under $170K or for a single having income of under $85k. If you have higher income, there is a surcharge called IRMAA for Part B and D. MAGI is derived from filed income tax from 2 years before. For instance, Medicare premiums for 2019 uses 2017 income tax returns. If you retire in 2017 and expect a drop in income, you can apply to reduce or eliminate IRMAA surcharges, with documentation to support your appeal.

This is really great to know...thanks so much

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you retire before 65, make sure you figure in the cost of health insurance. The cheapest (and ONLY) plan in our geographic market this year costs over $25,000 for DH and me. That covers an annual physical and a flu shot for each of us. Coverage for anything else doesn't kick in until a $7,900 deductible per person has been met - which I just blew through with a surgery.

I had one of my employees turn in his resignation last year at 62 and when he found out the cost of health insurance for him and his wife was going to be $30K per year. He quickly asked for his job back and since I figured that would happen I never tuned in the paperwork to Tokyo and he's now working for us for a few more years...

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bill, you can't get Medicare coverage until 65, unless you are a qualifying widow/er or have a disability. My earlier post was just a reminder to not forget to budget for healthcare to fill the gap years between your old employee health insurance and Medicare.

Good to know. Very good point.

My thought is that the deduction for the Medicare premium from the Social Security check is another thing to consider. For most of us it doesn't matter because the Medicare premium is less than what we pay before getting to Medicare.

What ever benefit a person takes when you hit 65 there is the Medicare premium of about $136 deducted from the benefit check.

From 62 to 65 there isn't a Medicare deduction on Social Security benefits.

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Good to know. Very good point.

My thought is that the deduction for the Medicare premium from the Social Security check is another thing to consider. For most of us it doesn't matter because the Medicare premium is less than what we pay before getting to Medicare.

What ever benefit a person takes when you hit 65 there is the Medicare premium of about $136 deducted from the benefit check.

From 62 to 65 there isn't a Medicare deduction on Social Security benefits.

Bill

That $136 is Part B. (Part A being Free) But- if you are not collecting SS- and do not have employer based health insurance-you have to pay it out of pocket.

The supplements and Part D drug plan or Advantage plans are additional, of course.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
One nice thing about taking SS early, they automagically sign you up for medicare when you hit 65. My wife just got her card in the mail and her birthday isn’t until October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One nice thing about taking SS early, they automagically sign you up for medicare when you hit 65. My wife just got her card in the mail and her birthday isn’t until October.

If a person doesn't sign up for Social Security benefits and then turns 65 does that person have to pay for 4 months of premiums totaling about $540 to get Medicare started ?

Bill

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a person doesn't sign up for Social Security benefits and then turns 65 does that person have to pay for 4 months of premiums totaling about $540 to get Medicare started ?

Bill
There are penalties if you turn 65 and fail to sign up for Medicare Part B ($$), unless you show them via Form CMS-L564 that you have continuing coverage from your employer. You also must sign up for Medicare Part A but that's a non-issue because Part A is free.

Social Security doesn't really have anything to do with that, except if you are collecting SS they take the premiums out of your check rather than needing to bill you.

Attachments

• CMS-L564E.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

I had not realized this. I put a note on my calendar so that in Feb 2020 I would start the enrollment/research project for Medicare. I turn 65 12-30-2020, and somewhere I read that X number of months before the month you turn 65 you can start the process. I started SS this January at age 63. Cliff is 18 years older, so we figured I should take mine as soon as I retired, which happened at the end of October.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

I didn't remember this happening. I started taking SS benefits at 62. I guess I was automatically set up for medicare at 65. I do remember it being pretty painless, except for having to choose a supplement plan (or basically deciding which supplement plan I wanted).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had not realized this. I put a note on my calendar so that in Feb 2020 I would start the enrollment/research project for Medicare. I turn 65 12-30-2020, and somewhere I read that X number of months before the month you turn 65 you can start the process. I started SS this January at age 63. Cliff is 18 years older, so we figured I should take mine as soon as I retired, which happened at the end of October.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I passed 70 seven years ago and still ski for three months in Steamboat every year, I’m building an airplane and fly another I recently bought, have a number of friends, both male and female, who I travel with after my wife passed five years ago and enjoy the h*** out of life.

IMNSHO, if one expects to be dead at 70, they probably will be. Worrying about when one will die is worth about 15 minutes, then make a decision about plans and get on with life:thumbup:.

Cheers

I am sorry. I did not actually mean to say that 70 is old. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek but that back fired. It just surprises me that the government expects us to work until 67 or 70. I am in my 50s and I am downsizing and partially retired already. I still work but not like I used to. In our 50s, we are in the last third of life. I want to start enjoying more now. I was just diagnosed with a hereditary chronic disease that I need to learn to manage in order to enjoy the rest of my life.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am sorry. I did not actually mean to say that 70 is old. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek but that back fired. It just surprises me that the government expects us to work until 67 or 70. I am in my 50s and I am downsizing and partially retired already. I still work but not like I used to. In our 50s, we are in the last third of life. I want to start enjoying more now. I was just diagnosed with a hereditary chronic disease that I need to learn to manage in order to enjoy the rest of my life.

I agree, I wish my FRA was 65 vs 67. I'm 58 and its a chore to work to 50 to 60 hour weeks I currently have to work...for me retirement can't come soon enough. We run a very lean operation in my company, last year I did 3 job titles as one person - working 60 hours a week. We got a new President last September and today he tells me that he is just going to give an across the board COLA increase no merit increase because he has not been here long enough to judge everyone...

I told him, you have been my manager since last September and in that time you have given me 3 large projects to complete along with my regular full time responsibilities and I continue to work 55 to 60 hour work weeks since January. For the past 9 months you have seen my work ethic, commitment to the company and willingness to take on extra projects when others failed miserably when you gave them extra projects...

Today is not a good day for me. I was hoping to stay at this company till I retire, but I can not keep this pace up

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I
I agree, I wish my FRA was 65 vs 67. I'm 58 and its a chore to work to 50 to 60 hour weeks I currently have to work...for me retirement can't come soon enough. We run a very lean operation in my company, last year I did 3 job titles as one person - working 60 hours a week. We got a new President last September and today he tells me that he is just going to give an across the board COLA increase no merit increase because he has not been here long enough to judge everyone...

I told him, you have been my manager since last September and in that time you have given me 3 large projects to complete along with my regular full time responsibilities and I continue to work 55 to 60 hour work weeks since January. For the past 9 months you have seen my work ethic, commitment to the company and willingness to take on extra projects when others failed miserably when you gave them extra projects...

Today is not a good day for me. I was hoping to stay at this company till I retire, but I can not keep this pace up

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is so hard to get to FRA. We both retired but working part time jobs to help cover the expenses til my husband reaches FRA, 18 months to go. It is extremely hard to work those kind of hours at these ages. Companies know exactly what they are doing. We look back now on our careers and are extremely happy my husband got 37 years in and I got 25 years. We should have tried to get a few more years in but it was too difficult. Money is tight but I am learning not to shop as much. Lol
Good luck hanging in there for a few more years. Just save more. Probably our big mistake!!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

When you first get Medicare
When you're first eligible for Medicare, you have a 7-month Initial Enrollment Period to sign up for Part A and/or Part B.

Example

For example, if you're eligible for Medicare when you turn 65, you can sign up during the 7-month period that:

• Begins 3 months before the month you turn 65
  • Includes the month you turn 65
  • Ends 3 months after the month you turn 65

This is from Medicare.gov, and is why I made a note to start looking into Medicare in February when turning 65 in December.