• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Home Security (DIY?)

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Since this is a site that caters to people who spend time away from home, I suspect some of you have home security. I'm looking for something for both our Summer and Winter place.

We can have active Internet both places, so I am looking for something that can save incidences to the cloud, or otherwise make them available to be reviewed, and download for the authorities, if needed.

Three or four outside cams.

TIA

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Interested in this also. Our current home has the old traditional style alarm system. When we move into our little retirement home we were thinking of getting Simpli Safe.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We have YI Home cams, but they're indoors. I don't think they have outdoor ones yet. We buy their cloud service (it's for a commercial place, but affordable for your purpose too). These cameras have their own APP and connect directly to WiFi. They require power.

At home we have Blink cameras; these have a hub which interfaces them to your WiFi and that can restrict placement. But they DO have outdoor cams, and all the cams can run on batteries for a year or two. They can also be powered from a USB cable. Blink has some limited free cloud storage. Blink can send you notification when an event happens; my complaint is that it's for ALL your cameras (not per camera). We have one in the garage that's triggered all the time by us, so we don't want notification on that, but also two on the front and back doors where we WOULD like notification all the time. You could do this with two accounts, though. Blink is an Amazon company. Oh, and if you have an Echo Spot or Show, you can tell Alexa "show me the front door camera."

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I have Arlo set up at my home and my church. The cameras, (I have the Arlo Pro cameras, 2nd gen) and it comes with these key features that I really like:
  • Completely wireless
  • No monthly fee
  • Motion sensor and notifications can be adjusted on each camera
  • 7 days free cloud storage
  • Base station USB ports for local backup
  • Works with Alexa
  • Numerous people can be given permission to view the cameras and can pick which notifications they want.
There are also the Pro 2 cameras and Ultra version that are newer. These have better specs but are more expensive. I can identify people quite easily on my feeds. While wireless they can be hooked up to a micro usb cable and connected to solar panels or an outlet.
Arlo is coming out with full home security additions "in the 2nd half of 2019" and if you pay $10/month, it opens up a wide range of extra features including e911 which will call 911 from your home, rather than where you are with your cell phone.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Interested in this also. Our current home has the old traditional style alarm system. When we move into our little retirement home we were thinking of getting Simpli Safe.
You've prolly read my posts enough to know what I do for a living. I've gotten to experience a lot of alarm and camera systems. And I'm a BIG fan of Simpli-Safe for a DIY home security system because it doesn't have a contract. Just pay for monitoring the month your gone. They don't have outdoor cameras yet.

Another good option for most people is the Ring doorbell. It's only $3/month per device (they have regular cameras) but I can speak from experience that these get good enough quality images to identify a person who comes within 10ft or so. You can store the video clips on your device or personal cloud storage as well.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You've prolly read my posts enough to know what I do for a living. I've gotten to experience a lot of alarm and camera systems. And I'm a BIG fan of Simpli-Safe for a DIY home security system because it doesn't have a contract. Just pay for monitoring the month your gone. They don't have outdoor cameras yet.

Another good option for most people is the Ring doorbell. It's only $3/month per device (they have regular cameras) but I can speak from experience that these get good enough quality images to identify a person who comes within 10ft or so. You can store the video clips on your device or personal cloud storage as well.

I didn't know that you can just pay for monitoring as needed. Interesting. Maybe we could use the ring doorbell for the walk out basement door. The door and windows in the basement that face out back concern me the most.

Thanks!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Since this is a site that caters to people who spend time away from home, I suspect some of you have home security. I'm looking for something for both our Summer and Winter place.

We can have active Internet both places, so I am looking for something that can save incidences to the cloud, or otherwise make them available to be reviewed, and download for the authorities, if needed.

Three or four outside cams.

TIA
I recently switched to CPI from another well known company which gave me bad service.

I paid for the equipment upfront and thus no contract. I am on a month to month basis. I got some options for free. You do not have to pay upfront and its interest free but then you are in contract for a few years. They told me at any time I could pay in full and be out of the contract but I could not find that in their contract. Ultimately they told me they beed to update their contract to reflect that.

There are many different options you can pick. I have fire and break in to call responders. I have cameras set up inside and out. If someone walks on my property, human or animal I have chosen to get a picture messaged to me. I can talk to someone at the door or in the house. Being able to get notifications or check on whats going on at any time gives me peace of mind when I am away.

What made me upgrade was when I was away a neighbor saw multiple people walking up my driveway to my backyard at 12 midnight. They texted me and called the police. The police called me and then checked to make sure no one broke in. With the cameras and notifications I would have know right away if there was a break in or if people were hanging out in my backyard and if they just were cutting thru my property the police would not need to check.

They were great with installation, follow up, continued calling by me updating my notifications. I am very happy with what I have and CPIs service. The other well know company that I used prior didn’t come close. I wanted to upgrade some features and they were going to charge me more then CPI did for everything including my monthly fee and I was forced into a few year contract.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
OK. Thanks.

I'm looking for something with cams I can put up myself. Not an "ADT-like" system.

Wireless.

Working with our wifi. Probably a small monthly fee for saving to the cloud.

I know I've read about some like that, but I'm looking for someone who actually has one.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Like I said, I've got Arlo and several of my co-workers have Ring which I also have experience with. Highly recommend both.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I think Arlo and Nest are the ones I've read about.

When it says that Arlo "works with Alexa", does that mean it doesn't work without Alexa?

Speaking of Arlo, I see they are from Netgear.

So, when I see Netgear in nearby wifis, and my neighbor has a cam on the side of his house, am I seeing his security wifi, or whatever you would call it?

I'm watching an Arlo video. The guy just said you have to "switchout" the battery every 2 months. Really? That can't be, can it?

Then he said it's rechargeable. Really?

He also said you can get a solar charger, or plug it into AC.

BTW, I like what I'm seeing with Arlo.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I'll look at these, too.

Thanks.

Gotta go rest up for golf tomorrow now.

:cool:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I think Arlo and Nest are the ones I've read about.

When it says that Arlo "works with Alexa", does that mean it doesn't work without Alexa?

Speaking of Arlo, I see they are from Netgear.

So, when I see Netgear in nearby wifis, and my neighbor has a cam on the side of his house, am I seeing his security wifi, or whatever you would call it?

I'm watching an Arlo video. The guy just said you have to "switchout" the battery every 2 months. Really? That can't be, can it?

Then he said it's rechargeable. Really?

He also said you can get a solar charger, or plug it into AC.

BTW, I like what I'm seeing with Arlo.

That's a little low on battery life. They will easily do 2-6 months on a charge with Arlo pro. Some of the newer ones don't last as long due to having more features/different night vision.
They are made by Netgear but Netgear makes a lot of tech, like routers and such. So no, people can't pick up on your cameras/see them as a wifi signal.
Works with Alexa means that if you have Alexa with a screen, you can tell Alexa to show you whatever camera you have hooked up and it will. If you don't have Alexa it doesn't effect the cameras at all.
Nest is good too but requires a power connection. Aka not truly wireless but does have great picture quality.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
They are made by Netgear but Netgear makes a lot of tech, like routers and such. So no, people can't pick up on your cameras/see them as a wifi signal.

My question about my neighbor was not whether I could pick up his cams, but whether they are real or dummies.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
My question about my neighbor was not whether I could pick up his cams, but whether they are real or dummies.
Youre most likey seeing that he has a Netgear wireless router and didn't rename it. The cameras, tough to tell if they're real or not without getting an up close look. But the Arlo cams don't show up on a wifi list like a router or hotspot does.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
We have Wyze cams to watch our misbehaving dog. They were very easy to set up for my mister and he said up some kind of separate network within our home network so someone would have to try pretty hard to get in. They were also very inexpensive and have an easy app. But we also aren't that concerned about house security since all the neighbors are related to us and can see our house if someone was skulking around.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Our neighbors garage light was smashed by a drunk last Friday night. He came to our front door too, and my Ring Video doorbell captured him. I'm not sure why he turned around, but I emailed the video to the police.

https://ring.com/share/6700049231163326818

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
We use Blink and are very happy with it.

An added bonus: if someone does break in we can speak to them thru the Amazon Echo and tell them to get out as the police are in their way.

The cameras have an entertainment value as well...the front door often picks up the deer eating my flowers.

We have several cameras, some indoor and some outdoor. They can be turned off and on as needed.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We use Blink and are very happy with it.

An added bonus: if someone does break in we can speak to them thru the Amazon Echo and tell them to get out as the police are in their way.

The cameras have an entertainment value as well...the front door often picks up the deer eating my flowers.

We have several cameras, some indoor and some outdoor. They can be turned off and on as needed.
Can this be connected to a moniter service if a break in occurs the police are called. Is there a fire feature to notify fire station?

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Can this be connected to a moniter service if a break in occurs the police are called. Is there a fire feature to notify fire station?

I don't know, I'm married to my tech support so I leave the details to him. For me, I find it's easy to use. Whenever there's movement on a camera that's live my phone immediately sends me a video clip. That can be saved as long as needed. I can also switch to live mode and just watch. I really like it most for the front door, as we get a lot of random people ringing the doorbell. When my neighbor was trying to deliver GS cookies while we were out of town I could immediately text her and let her know we were gone but she could leave them in our package box if she wished. We also have lights we can turn off and on remotely.

Our house was very hot one day and the blink camera that sits on top of a cabinet in the dining room gave off an alert. Apparently you can set temperature limits and it will alert you if they hit. I suppose that translates to being a fire warning too.

Found this article that may help:
https://www.reviews.org/home-security/blink-cameras-review/

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I use trail cams at our mountain place off Chinook Pass. There is no internet so these cameras only show the after shots with date and time. I have one camera that is very noticeable and others that are somewhat hidden on the outside of the property.

I noticed these cameras have reduced illegal camping in my area. I know who is using all the fire wood. I know who leaves a mess. I can see who is on the property.

At home we usually have someone staying here when we travel. They watch the house and feed Rex.

Bill

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Youre most likey seeing that he has a Netgear wireless router and didn't rename it. The cameras, tough to tell if they're real or not without getting an up close look. But the Arlo cams don't show up on a wifi list like a router or hotspot does.

If it was just one that I see, I probably would not have asked, but I see two Netgears on my available networks, both with the same strong signal, and since the cam is only 15 feet from our house, pointed 100% at our property, I figured one of the Netgears might be the "hub" that the video was talking about. I assume the Arlo cams "talk to" the "hub".

So, in one of our places we have neighbors who watch our house and take care of it, and in the other we have neighbors who just watch our house. Well, sometimes a little more than that, which is why we want to watch back.

:D

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
If it was just one that I see, I probably would not have asked, but I see two Netgears on my available networks, both with the same strong signal, and since the cam is only 15 feet from our house, pointed 100% at our property, I figured one of the Netgears might be the "hub" that the video was talking about. I assume the Arlo cams "talk to" the "hub".

So, in one of our places we have neighbors who watch our house and take care of it, and in the other we have neighbors who just watch our house. Well, sometimes a little more than that, which is why we want to watch back.

:D
Fair enough. But yes, the cameras are connected to the hub via WiFi. However they claim that the cameras will record without a wifi signal if it goes down. But he probably just has a Netgear router that is on that side of the house close to you.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Why would I be seeing two "Netgears" on my available networks, and with exactly the same, strong signal strength?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Why would I be seeing two "Netgears" on my available networks, and with exactly the same, strong signal strength?
No telling. But they don't put out a wifi signal. And if they did, it would say Arlo. The base station gets hard wired to your router and the cameras have a secured connection to the base station.
Do you have two neighbors? Perhaps they both have a Netgear router. I pick up quite a few networks in my neighborhood.