• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ADA rules

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DS got married this weekend. We only realized a few weeks ahead of time that the destination venue was not handicap accessible. DH is in a wheelchair, and would need to use the restroom during the course of the day.
The venue (in MD) said it was not required to be ADA compliant because it was a private entity. I find that hard to believe. I will be calling the county zoning department today.
The venue let us put a portable toilet in a garage, which DH used. Not acceptable in my mind. Surely in their three years in business other guests would show up in wheelchairs, walkers, etc. The site is an old house converted, and the ceremonies are all outdoors. But bathrooms are indoors. And every door had several steps.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I don't know for sure, but a quick Google search returned the following:
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires businesses to make reasonable accommodations for those with recognized disabilities, but only if those businesses fall within the ambit of the law. If your business is on the small side or doesn't cater to the public, it may not need to comply with the ADA.

Kurt

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I'm really sorry you experienced this on what should have been a day to focus on the happiness of your DS getting married.

If it turns out they don't need to comply by law, I would at least write a Yelp review with this information prominently highlighted. It could help others considering the venue in the future.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
DS got married this weekend. We only realized a few weeks ahead of time that the destination venue was not handicap accessible. DH is in a wheelchair, and would need to use the restroom during the course of the day.
The venue (in MD) said it was not required to be ADA compliant because it was a private entity. I find that hard to believe. I will be calling the county zoning department today.
The venue let us put a portable toilet in a garage, which DH used. Not acceptable in my mind. Surely in their three years in business other guests would show up in wheelchairs, walkers, etc. The site is an old house converted, and the ceremonies are all outdoors. But bathrooms are indoors. And every door had several steps.
Congratulations on the marriage of you son. I agree with @Beachclubmum to put reviews out there to let others know.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think the issue is whether the business is a private entity, but rather the age of the structure. There are certain exemptions for buildings built prior to when the law was enacted in 1992.

https://civilrights.findlaw.com/dis...ngs-and-businesses-public-accommodations.html

In recognition that many small businesses cannot afford to make significant physical changes to their stores or places of business to provide accessibility to wheelchair users and other people with disabilities, the ADA has requirements for existing facilities built before 1993 that are less strict than for ones built after early 1993 or modified after early 1992.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Patri, assuming the property you rented is in Maryland, there really is not a definitive answer when it comes to short-term vacation rentals.
Having known a few people who own short-term vacation rental property in the state, situations like you encountered are resolved on a case-by-case basis. Individually-owned residential short-term rental units are, for the most part, not considered “public accommodations” under ADA rules. They're considered private property which of course means they would be exempt from those rules and regulations that commercial properties like hotels, motels, etc. must follow.

Generally, any individually-owned unit that is rented out as a short-term vacation rental of 30 days or less does not fall under the ADA's rules. That is of course so long as it's not being run as motel, hotel, etc. You're best option at this point is to contact a Maryland attorney and see what your options are.

As for the zoning issue, contact the zoning office for the county in which the property is located. Do that if you're hoping to shut the unit down as a short-term vacation rental property. Sometimes revenge is the only viable self satisfaction. :thumbup:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Patri, assuming the property you rented is in Maryland, there really is not a definitive answer when it comes to short-term vacation rentals.
Having known a few people who own short-term vacation rental property in the state, situations like you encountered are resolved on a case-by-case basis. Individually-owned residential short-term rental units are, for the most part, not considered “public accommodations” under ADA rules. They're considered private property which of course means they would be exempt from those rules and regulations that commercial properties like hotels, motels, etc. must follow.

Generally, any individually-owned unit that is rented out as a short-term vacation rental of 30 days or less does not fall under the ADA's rules. That is of course so long as it's not being run as motel, hotel, etc. You're best option at this point is to contact a Maryland attorney and see what your options are.

As for the zoning issue, contact the zoning office for the county in which the property is located. Do that if you're hoping to shut the unit down as a short-term vacation rental property. Sometimes revenge is the only viable self satisfaction. :thumbup:
I don't think it was a timeshare rental or AirBnB or any such thing. It was a business that is a wedding venue. Perhaps they also offered catering? If they are selling wedding services as a venue to the general public, then they would need to adhere to ADA laws just as any other business would that offers such services to the public. I think the issue here is the age of the structure.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree historic building almost always can get exemptions. Non historic pre 1993 buildings often get exemptions.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Get him a Stadium Pal. They have all kinds of stuff at Amazon.

Bill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am waiting on a call back from the county. If they are operating legally, I will post a review that explains the issue. It should also be mentioned clearly on their website and is not. One solution would be a wheelchair accessible porta-potty. Wedding couples cannot know the mobility issues of all their guests, and things can change for anyone in a second. One man showed up with a broken foot and he got around kneeling on a scooter thing. He was able to get down two steps ok.
Sorry Bill, your solution is not funny for truly handicapped people, and only solves one toileting need for one sex. What about women?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I am waiting on a call back from the county. If they are operating legally, I will post a review that explains the issue. It should also be mentioned clearly on their website and is not. One solution would be a wheelchair accessible porta-potty. Wedding couples cannot know the mobility issues of all their guests, and things can change for anyone in a second. One man showed up with a broken foot and he got around kneeling on a scooter thing. He was able to get down two steps ok.
Sorry Bill, your solution is not funny for truly handicapped people, and only solves one toileting need for one sex. What about women?

It is a gender neutral device. You can find them on Amazon. This product was developed for handicapped people and others use it for their own reasons. Another option is adult diapers. I used these for my father in law for a brief time. I was being serious Patri, sorry it didn't come off that way.

Bill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used these for my father in law for a brief time. I was being serious Patri, sorry it didn't come off that way.
Bill
OK Bill. I only watched half and thought he might be promoting it for ballgames, etc. DH already has a catheter. Would not want him in Depends for the other function. I am concerned for guests at this venue who may have no idea they could not get to a bathroom.
The county called back and took my information. The man thought federal law should be followed at this place, and said most businesses they contact are very cooperative in fixing the problem. He forwarded the case to the appropriate department head and gave me that name and phone number. I will wait a week or two and then follow up.