• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Way to find a Fee Based Financial Planner?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Dang, never even thought of Vanguard... I use them for my yearly IRA

Keep in mind the advisors with mutual fund companies are slanted towards you investing and keeping money with them.

In addition to our fee only planner, I cautiously have used the T Rowe Price Advisory services, but it is definitely slanted. And certainly not holistic.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We went by a personal referral. A friend at work was using a small company and she and her husband were very pleased with them. Dh and I went in and talked to them at length and decided to use them as well. We started with them before we retired and they helped up figure out when we could retire, if we could handle mortgages on two properties while we were moving from one state to another. Our investments have done well with them and now both of our dds have accounts with them as well.

By fee based do you mean the financial planner just takes a flat fee? Our works on a percentage so we feel they are working for us because the more we make, the more they make.

See this is exactly what our guy did/ does. And the same situation as you for advice about move out of state, buying our forever home and carrying 2 houses if our current one doesn’t sell right away. Pre- retirement planning and all that. But for a hell of a lot less money.

Keep in mind- yeah- your planners make money when you do, but your total return is substantially decreased once they take their fee each year.

It sounds like your arrangement works for you and that’s great, but you are paying a lot for it. But if you are happy with it and don’t mind paying, nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
See this is exactly what our guy did/ does. And the same situation as you for advice about move out of state, buying our forever home and carrying 2 houses if our current one doesn’t sell right away. Pre- retirement planning and all that. But for a hell of a lot less money.

Keep in mind- yeah- your planners make money when you do, but your total return is substantially decreased once they take their fee each year.

It sounds like your arrangement works for you and that’s great, but you are paying a lot for it. But if you are happy with it and don’t mind paying, nothing wrong with it.
We're happy with it. Period, the end.

Brett

Reaction score
HUH? I am saying- exactly- bingo- what are you paying a yearly fee for once a plan is totally set up- that's the question. Why pay an advisor a percentage of your assets every year when it is their computer that adjusts your asset allocation going forward? No way do most of them personalize anything after that.

But when you just pay for specific advice as needed- and the advisor does not hold your assets- you get the most objective advice for the least cost.

No way do I want to pay someone like $10,000 per year!

your original post was just one word - EXACTLY
I see you've gone back and added an explanation

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
We're happy with it. Period, the end.

OK
but if you are paying a financial advisor a % of your investment portfolio just make sure they are not also getting commissions from advice on buying certain investments.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
What is a typical fee charged of your portfolio? Through my employer we have access to wealth management services (Financial Engines). Their fee is .80.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Sugarcubesea,

If you haven't found a Financial Advisor yet check out Barron's list of more than 1,200 ranked advisors at: www.barrons.com/directory

Good luck

Richard