• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question regarding inheritance

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Hopefully someone can help. My Mother passed away. She had 2 deeds of which I was on one. My mother had no will, and it didn't go into probate, due to her having no assets. I contacted Wyndham, sent in the death certificate as told. The deed I was on, I am now the sole owner. The other deed is listed under Estate of A.....S........ When I sent them the required papers, I said to let me know if there was anything else needed, and I have heard nothing. Has anyone experienced this?? Is there a waiting period, before it gets put in my name?? I know, the simple answer is to call Wyndham, but being in Mountain time zone, and I work for a living, it's hard to find a time to call them. So Thank you in advance for any information anyone can offer.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Without giving legal advice you might need a Probate Court Order naming you as the sole heir.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare deeds are conveyances of real property, which means you'll need some sort of probate administration in the state where the timeshare is located.
Taking Florida as an example (you don't mention where the timeshare is located), I Googled
"florida" "intestate" "ancillary" "summary administration"
and found no shortage of Florida attorneys advertising for your business.

I also found a non-lawyer operation that offers to do the job for $495 not including about $400 in filing fees. This is the first I've heard of them so this is not an endorsement--follow up at your own risk!
https://floridadocument.com/florida-summary-administration-forms/

Do you know if your Mother was current in paying her maintenance fees? If she wasn't, that's another cost to consider before proceeding.

Alternatively, you can abandon the property and pay nothing to anybody (and don't pay Wyndham!). You will not be liable for any cost or debt because you inherited nothing from her estate.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
While the other posts do highlight one possibility, the fact that Wyndham put one timeshare in your name suggests to me that it is a processing delay - likely caused by Wyndham getting the deed changes back from the recording office or just plain old Wyndham inefficiency.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The OP was on that Account as an Owner.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The OP was on that Account as an Owner.

Let me restate with more context:

His post indicates that Wyndham has taken some action (i.e. a deed change to Estate of XX) upon receiving the death certificate. That process is either complete or in-process, and they will either inform him when it is complete or will wait until he calls in. So they are either waiting on something or just being classically inefficient and waiting for him to call in.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help. My Mother passed away. She had 2 deeds of which I was on one. My mother had no will, and it didn't go into probate, due to her having no assets. I contacted Wyndham, sent in the death certificate as told. The deed I was on, I am now the sole owner. The other deed is listed under Estate of A.....S........ When I sent them the required papers, I said to let me know if there was anything else needed, and I have heard nothing. Has anyone experienced this?? Is there a waiting period, before it gets put in my name?? I know, the simple answer is to call Wyndham, but being in Mountain time zone, and I work for a living, it's hard to find a time to call them. So Thank you in advance for any information anyone can offer.
Where are the properties deeded at? You may want to just pass on the one that hasn't transferred depending on the maintenance fees at the resort.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Where are the properties deeded at? You may want to just pass on the one that hasn't transferred depending on the maintenance fees at the resort.
The one I'm not on is Bali Hai, low MF. I am grandfathered gold, which I would like to keep. I would actually like to get it cleared up, as I would like to add some resale points. I'm assuming (I know, dangerous to do that), That there is a delay like the one poster stated, in getting the deed done, and filed. I guess I will need to call in, and figure it out, though I appreciate all the helpful suggestions and comments.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Timeshare deeds are conveyances of real property, which means you'll need some sort of probate administration in the state where the timeshare is located.
Taking Florida as an example (you don't mention where the timeshare is located), I Googled
"florida" "intestate" "ancillary" "summary administration"
and found no shortage of Florida attorneys advertising for your business.

I also found a non-lawyer operation that offers to do the job for $495 not including about $400 in filing fees. This is the first I've heard of them so this is not an endorsement--follow up at your own risk!
https://floridadocument.com/florida-summary-administration-forms/

Do you know if your Mother was current in paying her maintenance fees? If she wasn't, that's another cost to consider before proceeding.

Alternatively, you can abandon the property and pay nothing to anybody (and don't pay Wyndham!). You will not be liable for any cost or debt because you inherited nothing from her estate.
The deed is in Hawaii. So I guess I can google that, and see what comes up. I did email Wyndham with the death certificate, and I guess if they needed more information, I wish they would contact me. I have to say, when I first contacted them, they were very quick to respond, and I did contact them by email. I was actually kind of surprised they got back to me so quick. The interesting thing about it still being listed under the estate is, I can go to sales updates, and they just send me away to get my gift, cause they can't sell me anything anyway!!

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
The one I'm not on is Bali Hai, low MF. I am grandfathered gold, which I would like to keep. I would actually like to get it cleared up, as I would like to add some resale points. I'm assuming (I know, dangerous to do that), That there is a delay like the one poster stated, in getting the deed done, and filed. I guess I will need to call in, and figure it out, though I appreciate all the helpful suggestions and comments.
Yes low monthly maintenance fees along with being grandfathered Gold VIP is worth the time to have this deed transferred to you.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Did you start with Wyndham Tribute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The interesting thing about it still being listed under the estate is, I can go to sales updates, and they just send me away to get my gift, cause they can't sell me anything anyway!!

Is the account listed under the estate or one of the deeds or both?

This is the link for doing a search for Hawaii deeds:

https://boc.ehawaii.gov/docsearch/search.html

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Did you start with Wyndham Tribute?

We paid $299 to get my name on the access contract. The deed in Hawaii would have been more money, so at the time we were not blessed with a lot of money so we held off.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
We paid $299 to get my name on the access contract. The deed in Hawaii would have been more money, so at the time we were not blessed with a lot of money so we held off.

Not having a deed certainly makes things cheaper and easier. Wyndham Tribute should tell you how to handle the transfer of the Bali Hai contract, if they have not already. I would definitely try to do as much as you can through Tribute, so you can retain the retail benefits. Also, it’s free.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
OP have posted in the past that deeds for Hawaii take longer. They joked about transfers being done on island time. Follow up calls to whatever department is handling this might help speed things along.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Whose name(s) are now on the account? You and the Estate or You or your mom?

Because if you paid $299 to get put on the CWA with her, then you should have been on the account - correct? Meaning you could stay at a resort without being using a guest certificate.

bestpal38

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Club Access
Whose name(s) are now on the account? You and the Estate or You or your mom?

Because if you paid $299 to get put on the CWA with her, then you should have been on the account - correct? Meaning you could stay at a resort without being using a guest certificate.
I am on the account now. The CWA is in my name, the Hawaii deed is listed under Estate of my mother. I can use the account and have for 4 years now.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not a lawyer, but it sounds like posts #2 and #3 above are the likely answers in order to retain the grandfathered VIP status. That’s the downside of deeded timeshares, that they subject to the rules governing transfers of real property.