• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Late deposit - RCI offers better option then II

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I actually have something good to say about RCI. Due to an unexpected situation I was not able to use a week I own about 2 1/2 weeks away.

I had the choice to deposit in II or RCI as the resort is dual affiliated.

Being it would be a late deposit I would be restricted to a 60 day trade timeframe in II. In RCI normally with a late deposit I would get a greatly reduced tpu value but with deposit restore I paid $69 and got my full tpu value.

RCI was a much better option for a late deposit as I am not resticted to the 60 day timeframe that I would have been in II.

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I actually have something good to say about RCI. Due to an unexpected situation I was not able to use a week I own about 2 1/2 weeks away.

I had the choice to deposit in II or RCI as the resort is dual affiliated.

Being it would be a late deposit I would be restricted to a 60 day trade timeframe in II. In RCI normally with a late deposit I would get a greatly reduced tpu value but with deposit restore I paid $69 and got my full tpu value.

RCI was a much better option for a late deposit as I am not resticted to the 60 day timeframe that I would have been in II.

Another thumbs up for RCI's deposit rules. I purchased a unit which just closed 15 days before check-in this year. Called RCI to deposit it and add it to my account, paid the $69 restore fee and it's as if I deposited it a year ago! Full TPU value and it doesn't expire until 2021.

Last edited:

TimMikel

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Forest Resort and Club; Windward Passage Resort; Redington Ambassador; Sea Club V
I would agree with the comments above. In my opinion, RCI has surpassed II in value, which is too bad since their fees are higher. I wish DAE, Platinum, or VRI had the same kind of inventory. Here are the reasons I believe RCI is now the better of the 2 largest exchange companies:

- I was unable to travel to my RCI extra vacation and they refunded much of what I had paid for it. In a similar scenario with II, they pretty much said, 'too bad, but we are keeping all your money".
- RCI lets me see all exchange inventory, but II only let me see what they want me to see.
- If I want to exchange to a unit worth more than my trade, I can combine my units to get it. II won't even let me know it's available.
- If I exchange somewhere that has less value than my trade, I get "change back" from RCI. Forget that at II. I have gotten 2 for 1 on several occasions at RCI. I have to pay another exchange fee, but another week for $239 if fine by me.
- If my II exchange is for a larger unit than my trade, I have to pay an upgrade fee. At RCI, if I can get a 3 BR unit for my 1BR unit, that's cool. I've gotten many of these larger unit trades at RCI with no extra fee.

My membership with II will be allowed to expire, which I never thought would happen.

TimMikel

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Forest Resort and Club; Windward Passage Resort; Redington Ambassador; Sea Club V
Oh yeah. One more thing. I just purchased 2 more weeks. RCI added these to my account almost immediately. II said they needed a fee or they needed me to extend my membership. Sorry, it seems that RCI wants my business.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would agree with the comments above. In my opinion, RCI has surpassed II in value, which is too bad since their fees are higher. I wish DAE, Platinum, or VRI had the same kind of inventory. Here are the reasons I believe RCI is now the better of the 2 largest exchange companies:

- I was unable to travel to my RCI extra vacation and they refunded much of what I had paid for it. In a similar scenario with II, they pretty much said, 'too bad, but we are keeping all your money".
- RCI lets me see all exchange inventory, but II only let me see what they want me to see.
- If I want to exchange to a unit worth more than my trade, I can combine my units to get it. II won't even let me know it's available.
- If I exchange somewhere that has less value than my trade, I get "change back" from RCI. Forget that at II. I have gotten 2 for 1 on several occasions at RCI. I have to pay another exchange fee, but another week for $239 if fine by me.
- If my II exchange is for a larger unit than my trade, I have to pay an upgrade fee. At RCI, if I can get a 3 BR unit for my 1BR unit, that's cool. I've gotten many of these larger unit trades at RCI with no extra fee.

My membership with II will be allowed to expire, which I never thought would happen.
You can find benefits in both RCI and II. Depending on what you own and want to trade for will decide which one you prefer.

The reasons I prefer II are...

The resorts available are overall better quality

The accommodation certificates given for just being a member can get you great places/units for a small fee.

If you own a high value week you are not competing against others who paid for the luxury to combine their weeks and increase their trading power thus diminishing your chances of getting an equivalent trade

II cares enough to provide Tuggers with a liason.

They offer eplus (can retrade 3 times) for a reasonable cost

I have almost always matched on Ogs with II whereas with RCI I hardly ever match.

In fairness I like that RCI
lets me restore my trade power for a late deposit

If I have to cancel less then 60 days out, RCI lets you restore to original value and trade more then 60 days out

My greatest dislike of RCI is there is no option to retrade. You must cancel and pay the full trade fee again.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Don't discount II too quickly
If you do their short stays you can use a late deposit
for two 6 night stays without the restriction of a late
deposit and you can also upgrade unit size without
paying the upgrade fee.

Granted you have to upgrade to a higher tier
account, but then you get the free guest certificates
and lower exchange fees. Unfortunately you can't
use e-plus for those exchanges though.
You can still buy the insurance if it's a concern.
Thanks to @Michael Coley for the tips. :thumbup:

II is getting most of my deposits now.
I get way better value from II than RCI except for
the DVC and Hilton exchanges.
Now that Marriott owns II, there are even more
Marriott deposits there for the taking.
Yay II. :cheer:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
paying the upgrade fee.

Granted you have to upgrade to a higher tier
account, but then you get the free guest certificates
and lower exchange fees. Unfortunately you can't
use e-plus for those exchanges though.
You can still buy the insurance if it's a concern.
Thanks to @Michael Coley for the tips. :thumbup:

II is getting most of my deposits now.
I get way better value from II than RCI except for
the DVC and Hilton exchanges.
Now that Marriott owns II, there are even more
Marriott deposits there for the taking.
Yay II. :cheer:
Have to look into the 6 night short stays, didn’t know about that.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Have to look into the 6 night short stays, didn’t know about that.

I looked into it a few years back and found that it seemed
to be the same inventory as the weeks inventory.
Getting 12 days out of one deposit is a pretty nice deal
even if you have to pay to upgrade the account.
It's much better than paying more MF's on extra weeks.

I don't think you can do an ongoing request though, so
that's probably a negative, but I rarely use them anyway.
I love the thrill of the hunt and still do well with that.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I looked into it a few years back and found that it seemed
to be the same inventory as the weeks inventory.
Getting 12 days out of one deposit is a pretty nice deal
even if you have to pay to upgrade the account.
It's much better than paying more MF's on extra weeks.

I don't think you can do an ongoing request though, so
that's probably a negative, but I rarely use them anyway.
I love the thrill of the hunt and still do well with that.
I have started using short stays with my QH unit. I get a bonus week for deposit, plus two short stays. I find that Palm Desert is a pretty easy location to get and since it is drive-to for us, we can do a last minute exchange if necessary.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I have started using short stays with my QH unit. I get a bonus week for deposit, plus two short stays. I find that Palm Desert is a pretty easy location to get and since it is drive-to for us, we can do a last minute exchange if necessary.

That's a great value for a 1 week deposit a kin to a higher TPU deposit to RCI.

Are you getting charged a housekeeping fee for the short stays?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
paying the upgrade fee.
FYI, Just checked, you can’t do short stays with a replacement week that has the 59 day restriction.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's a great value for a 1 week deposit a kin to a higher TPU deposit to RCI.

Are you getting charged a housekeeping fee for the short stays?
We'll see - checking into Embarc Palm Desert today with my mom. I haven't had one in the past at any of the Marriotts in PD.

Here's what my prearrival info says:
- When checking in:
- Hotel Guests: A photo identification, credit card for $100 security deposit and a daily $32.95 plus tax resort fee will be required (cash is not an acceptable form of deposit).
- Resort Fee includes access to the pools and hot tub, BBQ areas, game room, tennis & basketball court, fitness center, laundry facilities, wireless internet in the rooms and free local phone calls.
- Member Points Booking: Photo Identification and credit card for security deposit will need to be provided at check-in. Resort fees* will be waived when staying on your member point reservations. A resort fee of $32.95 plus tax per night will be added to the reservation if the member of Embarc™ is checking in on a rental reservation.
- Embarc Palm Desert offers several additional in-room amenities to improve your vacation experience. For a complete list of these additional amenities that can be provided in your vacation home, please contact the Front Desk.

I'm not an Embarc member and I don't think that I am a hotel guest, but I find it hard to believe that the only folks who don't have to pay a resort fee are exchangers.

Regarding Short Stay inventory - it's honestly VERY restrictive. It's good for very last minute deposits (I have seen great Hawaii deposits - three days out, lol) - or the overbuilt areas. But if you like those areas, there are some real gems.

Btw, I will let everyone know when I am visiting PD because I am the person who turns on the heater. Last week temps were in the low 100's, this week - up to 113! I happened to us in late Oct as well (although had a beautiful week in mid-Nov so it probably has more to do with dates than me but I feel snake-bit). Give me strength. I'm taking my mom. She just told me that she looks too old in a bathing suit and doesn't want to go into the pool. I already knew that she doesn't like cards or games, doesn't read, doesn't drink or like others who do, doesn't shop. Just wants to talk. I like to talk but 4 solid days of talking (politics, I am sure) may just push me over the edge! I figured that we can go to the movies for two afternoons, and maybe the spa for massages. This ought to be interesting. I wish that we had more in common.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI, Just checked, you can’t do short stays with a replacement week that has the 59 day restriction.
That's a bummer, but good to know.