• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I rent the convertible for an extra $25?

Should we rent a convertible?

• OMG of course you should!

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Be practical and get the sensible car.

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Since my daily driver is a Mini Cooper, some of the issues noted won't bother me in the least. I am used to essentially *no* trunk, and I'm not sure that you can ride much lower than a mini. My hair....well that's a different issue but since i have unruly hair, I usually wear a hat anyway.

Now my second guessing starts, lolol.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I would much rather sit higher on the road than a convertible sedan. I’d say go for the sporty Jeep over the convertible.

Your feelings are the same as my wife. She is used to driving an SUV, so prefers something that sits higher. She doesn't really like driving my Saab convertible and prefers her Volvo SUV. I on the other hand, hate SUVs and sitting up that high. I avoid driving her SUV except when absolutely necessary. That's why this whole "convertible or not" discussion is such a specific, personal decision for each person.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would much rather sit higher on the road than a convertible sedan. I’d say go for the sporty Jeep over the convertible.
We rented a Jeep once, not by choice, it was all they had. Never again. It was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Not that it will help you, but when we went to Kauai last century, I rented a car via Priceline or Hotwire, just enough car to accommodate 4 people, and, me being me, at the lowest price. When we got there, the lady who waited on me said, "Go, get something." Of course, I said, "Huh?" She said, "Anything you want."

She didn't have to say it a third time.

:cool:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When we first started going to Hawaii, we rented a convertible, but we don't any more:

-It is super easy to get a sunburn in Hawaii - you will get plenty of sun without out getting additional sun in your car.
-The wind with the top down can be annoying and ruin your hair do - if you care about that.
-Cloud bursts come up without warning all the time - you can't put up the top when you are going down the road, so the passengers and inside of the car may get quite wet, before you can pull over and put the top up.
-Convertables have far less trunk room, because part of the space is taken up by storage for the folded top.
-We always rent a Jeep, because there are times when you may want or need to go off the pavement, or have to park in rough conditions off the pavement, or need higher clearance.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yeah, we wound up with a little SUV, and it came in handy at the end of the road on the South Shore.

Last edited:

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We (just my husband and I) are headed to Maui for 3 days after spending a week on Kauai at the end of next month. I see a convertible for $125 for three days, or an intermediate (or std also) for $100. We have rented convertibles twice before - not sure I get the fascination - so talk me into this because I feel like renting one for some reason :) We will be staying at Kahana Beach Resort and I am not sure about their parking situation. Maybe it's tight and we should just get a small car? We won't be doing the Road to Hana most likely - we are going again in Sept with friends who haven't been, so we will save that drive for them.

So would you or wouldn't you rent a convertible?

Btw, this is not about the $$. Mostly about the experience.

I rented them when I was younger, fascination is long gone (even though my 2nd car at home is one, getting ready to sell).

Keep in mind if your luggage will fit in the car privately when the roof is up, when you are possibly stuck waiting to get off the island and have to drive around with the luggage in tow, if your Resort doesn’t have safe storage, or your too far from the airport to get there in a timely manner.
Your choice...I say save the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are light packers. Just two carry-ons. I went with a friend once who had two regular suitcases and one carry-on. :eek: I never figured out what she brought with her in those bags, but it was an amazing sight to see.

Wish I could pack light, but medically not possible! Not even for an overnight trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can’t stand the sun beating down on me in a convertible. But that’s just me. Plus, over the years Hawaii seems to be getting hotter and hotter, and I’m from Texas.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
I just found a jeep wrangler with Dollar Rentals that is $50 less than the reservation I have with National with my corporate account through Expedia but debating if we should get the fun jeep(kids) or just go with a car I reserved on Priceline, which is about $170 difference. Im still working on my second half of the trip in Oahu and no luck at all on finding a cheap enough car. So still juggling Hawaii :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I just found a jeep wrangler with Dollar Rentals that is $50 less than the reservation I have with National with my corporate account through Expedia but debating if we should get the fun jeep(kids) or just go with a car I reserved on Priceline, which is about $170 difference. Im still working on my second half of the trip in Oahu and no luck at all on finding a cheap enough car. So still juggling Hawaii :)
Again, the one time we got a Jeep (didn't ask for it, it was just what was given to us) it was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had. Dh did the driving and he said it was a very uncomfortable drive as well. I'm sure with a rental company you're not getting the top of the line.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Again, the one time we got a Jeep (didn't ask for it, it was just what was given to us) it was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had. Dh did the driving and he said it was a very uncomfortable drive as well. I'm sure with a rental company you're not getting the top of the line.
I was actually thinking the same thing and honestly comfort trumps fun for us lol

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I own a Jeep Wrangler, that is my daily driver. I find the ride firm, but not uncomfortable. It is what it is. Is it soft and cushy, like the BMW that sits next to it in the driveway? Not even close. They are very different vehicles. But I also can't take the roof and doors off the BMW and go four-wheeling off road. :)

If you want cushy comfort, don't rent the Jeep. If you want top-down fun, the Jeep is the only way to go. :thumbup:

Dave

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I agree with the Jeep Wrangler instead of a convertible in Hawaii. But only if i can get it at a reasonable price, otherwise we just get a more typical Chevy Impala, Buick Regal or similar. At least they have A/C and good size trunks, although it is just the two of us.

I burn easily, so even with a hat on I don't like to drive with the top down. We did enjoy the couple of times we rented a Jeep Wrangler (2-door) in Hawaii. We initially tried it with the top down, but too hot. So we just took the side and rear curtains down and left the top up. The top kept the heat off, but the open-air effect of the side curtains down was great. Wasn't going to try removing the doors on a rental, since no place to store them, but it would be fun to try.

While the Jeep does have a firm ride, I also certainly don't find it "uncomfortable". Not as smooth and powerful, with all the creature comforts known to man, as on my Infiniti M45X, but as DaveNW says, they are two completely different vehicles, also at two very different price points. But the Jeep is fun and I would pick it over a convertible anytime.

And for the OP, it doesn't matter what we think. It is what makes you happy and brings a smile to your face. That's why there are so many makes and models of cars. At $25 total difference for the rental, it is not an economic, but a purely personal decision. Have fun!

Last edited:

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own a Jeep Wrangler, that is my daily driver. I find the ride firm, but not uncomfortable. It is what it is. Is it soft and cushy, like the BMW that sits next to it in the driveway? Not even close. They are very different vehicles. But I also can't take the roof and doors off the BMW and go four-wheeling off road. :)

If you want cushy comfort, don't rent the Jeep. If you want top-down fun, the Jeep is the only way to go. :thumbup:

Dave
You know what, your right! Thanks for the the input

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just circling back here since the trip has come and gone. And also because I just reserved a convertible for our next trip to Maui later this year. I liked the convertible just fine (of course I wore a hat all of the time and had to apply sunscreen before getting in the car). My husband *loved* it - mostly the Mustang part of it. We'll never be owners of a muscle car because we are practical that way, so I decided that we should always rent a fun car when we can.

I really compromised - Alamo had an "intermediate" convertible which was listed as a Mini convertible (be still my heart!) but a Mini is a Mini and doesn't have a big engine, so I acquiesced and booked the full size so that my husband could get his fix.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I really compromised - Alamo had an "intermediate" convertible which was listed as a Mini convertible (be still my heart!) but a Mini is a Mini and doesn't have a big engine, so I acquiesced and booked the full size so that my husband could get his fix.

Glad you enjoyed it. But you need to watch out for the “Or Similar” in the car listings. You may not get what you expect.

For future use: Mini is not the Mini of your younger days. They are now made by BMW, and the engine is quite peppy. And Mustangs often have fuel efficient six-cylinder engines now, so are under-powered for traditional muscle car use. It’ll be more about the styling, than the performance. :)

Dave

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad you enjoyed it. But you need to watch out for the “Or Similar” in the car listings. You may not get what you expect.

For future use: Mini is not the Mini of your younger days. They are now made by BMW, and the engine is quite peppy. And Mustangs often have fuel efficient six-cylinder engines now, so are under-powered for traditional muscle car use. It’ll be more about the styling, than the performance. :)

Dave
I drive a Mini every day - and just love it. My husband isn't a Mini kind of guy in any way. He's kind of a big guy and he feels cramped in my car and didn't want to be squished in a Mini for a week. Plus I secretly think that he really liked the Mustang.

We rented from Budget (god bless Fastbreak as we were able to skip the line at OGG) and the only convertibles that I saw were Mustangs. Someone else must rent Camaro convertibles though because I saw a few of those while on Maui. Either would be fine for a week.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband hates convertibles, but our young grandchildren love them! So, if I'm responsible for renting the car for a trip with the grands in Hawaii, guess what I'm getting? My smile can't get any bigger than when our little ones' eyes grew wide with wonder when the roof started retracting. They shrieked with glee, "Nana! Is this a TRANSFORMER????"

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Our DD had a Sebring convertible. she loved it, but now she drives a FIT because gas mileage is better

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
We usually rent midsize SUVs because they are more comfortable. We have rented convertibles before, and while they are fun, we find them to be more trouble than they're worth. Not only is the trunk space limited, but you have to tie down everything in your car or it'll blow out.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
On Kauai now. Rented a Mustang convertible that was just slightly more than a regular (Honda type) car. Having fun. :) Glad I have just two kids with me this trip. If my third had come along, it would have been tight! The 14 and 20 year old are enjoying it. I'm having fun, and thinking I want a convertible next time I get a new car - but I'm too practical - driving an eV Bolt at home. Love that car! The convertible sure is fun for a vacation, though!!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
And Mustangs often have fuel efficient six-cylinder engines now, so are under-powered for traditional muscle car use. It’ll be more about the styling, than the performance. :)

Dave

The late-model base Mustang V6 produces 300hp nowadays so it's hardly a slouch! In fact, I often rent the convertible just for the extra sportiness.