• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Out of hand kids at your Home Resort pool

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
After reading this thread, I would like to recommend for those that can’t endure kids having boisterous (maybe I should say screaming) fun, avoid at all costs Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch in San Antonio. This is a fabulous (here now) resort out by SeaWorld that’s packed with family and kids. I’m on Day 1 and am WORN OUT!!!! (But I love it!)

planzfortomorrow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Hyatt wild oak... don't go in summer. Go during the winter months. The big pools are heated and almost no kids. No lazy river though. We go during new years break. The resort is only about half full & the weather is usually nice, not sweltering hot. But I've seen kids go down the slides head first, backwards, etc. & thought where are the parents? Then I see the parents coming down the slide head first...mystery solved.

I think if you go to a pool, you've gotta expect to get wet/splashed. I don't get the (usually) women who are in the pool thinking their hair isn't going to get wet. I don't mind the kids having fun, but have seen lots of bad mannered kids and lots of kids (BABIES!!!) in the hot tub. Yuck, and not really safe (usually too hot for them). I usually live & let live, but if someone was really offending me, I might say to the kid, "are you making a wise choice?" Or just tell them that's not safe, or whatever. Usually, the kids respect that. Or at least move away from me. The trick is to get them to think about it, not just tell them what to do.

If you find a resort that has a water depth greater than 5 foot that's almost a miracle. I don't think any of the new resorts will ever have pools that deep. Liability issue or something I guess. Just seems like most are giant wading pools.

Sorry the OP couldn't enjoy their vacation.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I would imagine children at a timeshare resort pool; their parents are not receiving any public assistance.
We lived near Virginia Beach and the Atlantic Ocean. We always avoid going to The Beach from June 1 to the end of September. There are just to many children and adults that do not have any basic manners or home training or the respect for others. IMO.

So rowdy kids are not a problem at timeshare resorts because their parents aren’t on public assistance?

cooperrose54

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kingsland, 2 BD Premier, Elite Member
Bay Club Waikoloa, Big Island, 2 BD
Grand Luxxe Penthouse Loft/3BD Spa Tower (Hybrid)
I must put on my "teacher's" voice because so far, I have not had any issues with kids in the pool or hot tub. I am not a swimmer, so I head to the hot tub for an enjoyable read and a few massaging bubbles. When unattended young kids come into the tub or are playing close by and being inappropriate, I first ask where their parents are in a pleasant but clear voice that carries. I follow with comments as the situation warrants that relate to the child's/children's safety in the water, or I restate to the kids the expectations of spa/pool behavior, and/or direct them to an area of the pool away from people if they are splashing. I have found most kids are compliant when you explain the "get along rules." Parents, too, seem to pick up on the cue to tell their kids to take their play to another part of the pool. (I give kids and parents options.) If no parent is around, then I am the adult and am clear with the children what they can or cannot do, but I try to do so with options and agreement.
I have also reported unsupervised kids to management and focus on the "safety" issue. Property management does not want the liability so they should respond to your request.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would imagine children at a timeshare resort pool; their parents are not receiving any public assistance.

Just what is the correlation, at least in your mind, between public assistance and a child's behavior? :ponder:

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I get that some people are not "cat" people or "dog" people, but I don't get when people are anti-kid. We were ALL kids at one time.

My T/S is privately owned and they pretty much let you know when you arrive that they have the right to kick you out. Haha, seriously! It's right there where you sign in. They've gotten on me for not remembering to lay the card on my dash overnight to let them know I am a registered guest. (Makes more for work for the night patrol).
And, it has the largest pool in Sedona, so even when there are kids, there's plenty of space for everyone to relax and enjoy. There's also an adult only lagoon which is very nice. So, there you are!
It is a quiet and relaxing environment. And the grounds are pristine. The service is stellar.

In my 55+ community we also have a very large pool. I like to swim laps after work and my neighbor ladies are nice enough to move their frisbee party over just a bit to make room for me. It's all about sharing. Apparently we have rules about the hours that kids can be in our pool. I've broken them, but I was with little kids who I was holding on to. We weren't bothering anyone and the kids are extremely cute.

On the other hand, there was a teen and a couple of adults tossing a football to all corners of the pool one Sunday evening when I went down to swim. I raised Holy Hell. One of them got mouthy with me, but I told her she was not even a resident (which is true) and I'd report them to the manager. They left. If they had stuck to one part of the pool, I would not have said anything. They didn't need the entire pool to enjoy their game.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I get that some people are not "cat" people or "dog" people, but I don't get when people are anti-kid. We were ALL kids at one time.
My ex-husband (who didn't want children) used to say he was the only kid he ever liked.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We experienced some wild behavior from kids at the Sands of Kahana pool, while we were eating lunch at the restaurant. There were five of us in March, plus our granddaughter (2 years old), and the craziness by the kids was definitely getting out of hand. Parents weren't saying anything to the kids, while our food and beverages were being splashed constantly at our table. We finally told the server we had to move. I wouldn't sit in those tables again. It hurts the restaurant.

That I find totally unacceptable to have an area of a pool that kids can obviously splash diners in a restaurant. There has to be option to keep the kids from that side of the pool, unless they made the mistake of putting the restaurant on the “kid” end, if one side is more conducive to attracting the kids.

I’m sorry you had that experience and I sure hope management or the resort can do something about containing the kids to the opposite side of the pool, unless like my home resort, there is lack of space to do anything beyond blocking your pool view while dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Get the GM involved as early as possible.

I informed my management company of the issue and asked them to contact the Resort security about the issues that went down, since they didn’t hear about it. They are based in Florida and the Resort is on Kaua’i.
I don’t think the on-site resort manager would of done anything, considering that is what he has security staff for.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kids tend to be loud and boisterous in pools, even when they are behaving appropriately. When we want quite time, we go to a quiet beach instead.

I agree that kids will be kids and noisy, but I prefer to relax at the poolside and these kids were way beyond out of control.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 12215 View attachment 12216 We have had a problem for past two years at timeshare where we own a fixed week in a fixed unit, the person next door has a garage and driveway, but chooses to park behind our driveway so we have trouble backing out of our steep driveway. What do we do, I don’t care to confront him, but don’t know if management would get involved.

I would politely ask them if they could park in a more agreeable spot, after explaining your situation too them, plus adding in the safety factor of the steep slope and you would prefer not to accidentally hit them incase of inclement weather, even if just rain.

You could also start parking for awhile in that spot if allowed to get the message through to them.

It may mean a hike uphill for the week, but you may be able to get the problem solved.

Even see if you can have guests visit you and park in “their” favorite spot.

Go from there before escalating the issue up to management, but you could always inquire if something could be done.

If you can try backing up your driveway, since it’s much easier to pull straight out forward with better visibility. Your choice.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
FYI everyone, my “recommendation” about Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch was tongue in cheek. We love it there, especially in June when it’s starting to get hot and the resort is full of families. We’ve been in winter, very quiet. But nothing beats the summer. Tomorrow we are going over to the Hyatt Hill County and enjoy their waterpark.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love when they have adult and family only areas. Mom of 5 littles and we spend our time at the family only pools. I know ppl want peace and quiet so I remind my crew of the rules.

Wish my Resort had that option or even the room and finances to add a family section or “kiddie” pool, but it’s a small resort that I purchased at 32+ years ago when I was much younger and would take advantage of the flight/hotel/(car) deals for under $100 to Waikiki for a couple of nights and hit the nightclubs that we had friends working at.

Now we are much older and just want to relax at our home resort from now on. (Glad I chose a beautiful location and resort way back then, plus I didn’t pay retail from the developer!)

We even got rid of all trading companies. (We could use DAE for free with limited choices, but we really only had luck a couple of times with trades at the highest paid preferred level due to the fact we only wanted to travel to basically 3 locations.)

We rent out our three weeks when we can’t use it to pay the yearly maintenance fees. We have been lucky with the Associations (we own in the main two), they have been really good at keeping fees down as best as they can, even with a total gut remodel going on over the course of several years, and them reselling bad credit off to those unknowingly paying retail.

Thank you for being a considerate parent, but we know kids are kids and everything like a resort pool brings extra joy and glee to this children! My issue is the unsupervised, out of control kids with no manners or respect for the people around them.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not normally keen on policing kids of others, but please do step in if a kid is in danger. Otherwise, it's not your pool, you kind of have to get management involved. You could politely ask kid or parent to obey rules but note that could backfire on you. You're not ever going to be able to decrease crowds, tho. Popular features attract people.

Relaxing by the pool sounds great, but sound carries on water, water does not stay in pool. I would suggest setting up farther from pool than your normal and ear buds. This is stuff you can't control, you can only control your actions, so try to set yourself up for success. Kids do not notice others when they are playing, they aren't going to care about your peaceful enjoyment.

I'm sorry your stay was disturbed.

If I hadn’t mentioned it already in another comment, Security did tell me as an “owner”, it is my right to help enforce the rules if they are being broken, but he also said if I have or see issues, just pick up the red phone under the cabana area and call security immediately.

Security is shorthanded during the day, from what he told me.

I was polite to the teens that were diving by pointing out the giant rules board that said no diving and they immediately shouted to their buddies about the no diving and pointed to the rules.

I’m not sure who was in charge of the much younger kids, but they seemed to be the biggest problem and didn’t care about anyone. I didn’t recall seeing anyone except the teens that could of been old enough to be their supervision at the time I actually was at the pool.

The part of the incident I caught with a younger adult (early 40’s?), getting into a giant shouting fight with some much older guests (not owners) of the Resort, I was already up to the 3rd floor outside entry balcony/walkway, and I could see and hear from a distance away something starting up. (I heard it even got worse, since I went straight to my unit, and I understand security was involved soon after, or may have already have been down there and I couldn’t see them.

Security kicked them out of the pool area, only for the kids to start chasing and tormenting the chickens on the property! That is just cruel, whether or not you like the chickens on the island.

Those kids definitely had no manners or morals. Plus hearing about how the father acted, I could see where they learned their behavior from. I understand the father spent all his time on his phone not even watching his kids!

Sad, needless to say!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Xan, the Atlantic Ocean is not nasty. Humans are nasty.

This section where the water is murky from the combining of the Chesapeke Bay and the Atlantic Ocean is not appealing to me at all, especially when you hear reports of the water is closed down for entry from a large section of streets due to the water no being safe to be in due to pollution, (could be from many sources or reasons), I don’t want to chance my health, especially since I can’t see the bottom anyways.

I’m spoiled from growing up in Michigan with pristine clear lakes..not saying every body of water in Michigan is pristine, but a giant percentage were when I spent most of my life there, even more so when I was a little kid being able to tent camp on the beach in Michigan and Canada, I recall being able to see way out to pure clear water.

It was always fun giving my mom the scare when the rule was nothing deeper than our knees, but Lake Huron off Canada where we would camp often had a great connection of sandbars that we could get to way out far and only be up to your ankles the whole way! (We knew how to read the warning flags and all had basic professional swimming lessons and how to read the edge of the water where we were allowed up to our knees, since you never can predict a riptide.)

(Why do you think Nestle is sucking our aquifer dry, no thanks to a former government that practically gave the water away!)

And yes, I agree that people can be nasty too! Sad!

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Hyatt wild oak... don't go in summer. Go during the winter months. The big pools are heated and almost no kids. No lazy river though. We go during new years break. The resort is only about half full & the weather is usually nice, not sweltering hot. But I've seen kids go down the slides head first, backwards, etc. & thought where are the parents? Then I see the parents coming down the slide head first...mystery solved.

I think if you go to a pool, you've gotta expect to get wet/splashed. I don't get the (usually) women who are in the pool thinking their hair isn't going to get wet. I don't mind the kids having fun, but have seen lots of bad mannered kids and lots of kids (BABIES!!!) in the hot tub. Yuck, and not really safe (usually too hot for them). I usually live & let live, but if someone was really offending me, I might say to the kid, "are you making a wise choice?" Or just tell them that's not safe, or whatever. Usually, the kids respect that. Or at least move away from me. The trick is to get them to think about it, not just tell them what to do.

If you find a resort that has a water depth greater than 5 foot that's almost a miracle. I don't think any of the new resorts will ever have pools that deep. Liability issue or something I guess. Just seems like most are giant wading pools.

Sorry the OP couldn't enjoy their vacation.

Thank You (OP person)!

I’m sure this just was “freak” two weeks, and we will be back there (home Resort) many more times in the future.

It didn’t help that the trade winds stopped for almost the whole two weeks, plus the islands were having record high temperatures and the humidity was really high. Never been there when it’s been that hot.

I could understand more people wanting to be in the pool this trip to try and cool off and be outside instead of in the A/C. One day I was at the pool, the ground was too hot to even walk barefoot, so there was a pile of flip-flops at the pool steps.

We were lucky having a loft unit, so we not only had the higher ceilings to pull the heat up to, plus our loft unit has its own A/C unit, which I heard some don’t, but that could be changing with the remodeling. (I always request a floor stand fan at check-in since you need something to draw the main A/C air down the hall to the bedroom without its own A/C. If the trades are blowing, just crack open a bedroom window or the entry door and the lanai door, and you will be asking for a coat! We are always on the 3rd floor when we stay there. (Top floor)

Our Resort is one of the few rare resorts that still has an 8 ft deep pool, nothing fancy. No room for a slide. (Several years ago our resort added the chair lift devices for the disabled to enjoy the pool and spa tub! I was happy to see that, though I haven’t been around when in use. We are also lucky to have elevators in each building, another rare thing to see at many of the resorts on the outer islands.)

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score

My T/S is privately owned and they pretty much let you know when you arrive that they have the right to kick you out. Haha, seriously! It's right there where you sign in. They've gotten on me for not remembering to lay the card on my dash overnight to let them know I am a registered guest. (Makes more for work for the night patrol).
And, it has the largest pool in Sedona, so even when there are kids, there's plenty of space for everyone to relax and enjoy. There's also an adult only lagoon which is very nice. So, there you are!
It is a quiet and relaxing environment. And the grounds are pristine. The service is stellar.

In my 55+ community we also have a very large pool. I like to swim laps after work and my neighbor ladies are nice enough to move their frisbee party over just a bit to make room for me. It's all about sharing. Apparently we have rules about the hours that kids can be in our pool. I've broken them, but I was with little kids who I was holding on to. We weren't bothering anyone and the kids are extremely cute.

On the other hand, there was a teen and a couple of adults tossing a football to all corners of the pool one Sunday evening when I went down to swim. I raised Holy Hell. One of them got mouthy with me, but I told her she was not even a resident (which is true) and I'd report them to the manager. They left. If they had stuck to one part of the pool, I would not have said anything. They didn't need the entire pool to enjoy their game.

You can count me in as an anti-kid person, but I keep that to myself and if possible try to find a direction away from them. The funny thing is that kids flock to me like flies to glue! (Maybe it’s because I’m a quiet-shy person?)

I’m really good at getting them entertained, even if it’s something simple like coloring or drawing. If possible I try add in something educational, even if it’s something as simple as making a game out of picking up all of the toys to make sure the “toys aren’t lonely, maybe they want to play together too!” (Gets the kids to make sure all the toys are found and picked up to be put away together!) Just simple things, none of this electronic stuff.

I may be anti-kid, but I’m never mean or rude! I’m a kid at heart and love toys, puzzles, coloring...Just simple things, and to find out my childhood toys that I took excellent care of and still have several, are worth some big money! (I used to give some toys away to kids when I was in my late teens, and I only regret giving one away, but I’m not going to dwell on it, since I made the little neighbor girl so happy! She used to just like to sit on my porch step with me, nothing special, but probably meant a lot to her that she had a “friend” to just hang out with.

(I became anti-kid after I babysat three family friends little boys for a few years. A newborn, a 3 year old and a 5 year old. One was a terror, the newborn was definitely a job, the other was perfect! Luckily I was getting to that teenage stage and they moved out of state about the same time. Knew from that point on that my dream of wanting 6 kids someday with prince charming came to an end, and I grew to not tolerate screeching and crying, my nerves just couldn’t take it!) Can you guess I never had children and don’t regret it at all!?! (Weird thing though is I love to make children’s quilts or simple “blankies” for kids, and for the few relatives of mine that chose to have kids.)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti does not hesitate to speak up. During our recent stay at Gleneden in Oregon she would remind the kids that hot tubs are not swimming pools. If they wanted to use their masks and fins they should be in the pool. She would so this right in front of the parents. Also one night a kid about 8 or 9 kept crowding me. I currently have a broken left index finger, which because of the splint and bandage I have to keep out of the water. Every time the kid would crowd right up to me Patti will tell him to move away. Patti would also remind folks not to sit on the steps as people need access. At Seaside which has 2 hot tubs when a group of kids (who knows where their parents were) would approach Patti will tell them the other hot tub is for kids. We do not understand parents bring that their 1 year old and younger into the hot tub. One time at Ocean side 2 kids about 3 and 4 climbed into the hot tub. Patti asked where their parent was. He was sleeping on a lounge chair clear across on the other side. Patti said they needed parent supervision. The kids ran crying to Dad, who gave us a dirty look, and stormed into the Lobby. Apparently he got the same message from the Front Desk as he came back out and sat in a chair next to the hot tub glaring at us.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it seems kids have been ruining the world since, well... forever. And the youth of today are nothing more than a bunch of lazy, self entitled narcissists. The older generations have been complaining about kids for years. We do like to think of our generation, whatever that may be, as being somehow different. Guess what, our elders complained just as much. Perhaps not about any one individual, but about those "kids of today".

Seems this has been going on since the beginning of time.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love to chatter in place of exercise.”
Socrates, 5th century BC

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.”
Hesiod, 8th Century BC

“The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no respect for their parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone know everything and what passes for wisdom in us foolishness in them. As for the girls, they are foolish and immodest and unwomanly in speech, behavior, and dress.”
Peter the Hermit, 11th Century

Take a look in the mirror. Have we really become... gasp... one of those... "old people"?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, it seems kids have been ruining the world since, well... forever. And the youth of today are nothing more than a bunch of lazy, self entitled narcissists. The older generations have been complaining about kids for years. We do like to think of our generation, whatever that may be, as being somehow different. Guess what, our elders complained just as much. Perhaps not about any one individual, but about those "kids of today".

Seems this has been going on since the beginning of time.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love to chatter in place of exercise.”
Socrates, 5th century BC

“I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.”
Hesiod, 8th Century BC

“The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no respect for their parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone know everything and what passes for wisdom in us foolishness in them. As for the girls, they are foolish and immodest and unwomanly in speech, behavior, and dress.”
Peter the Hermit, 11th Century

Take a look in the mirror. Have we really become... gasp... one of those... "old people"?
Thank you, spot on!!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Smuggs has a family hot tub and adult one and families still insist on using the adult one also.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And adults using the family one? I find that at places.

Well- the family ones are for adults and their kids. The adults only are just that.