• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying retail questions

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Marriott TS week form an individual and I cannot find the answers to these questions.

We have stayed at the resort through II exchanges before and really like the resort. It is hard to trade into so I am considering buying a week

1. Do I get any perks or benefits from Marriott?

2. If I want to use the week at the home resort, do I go through II, Marriott, or the resort?

3. If I trade it for another Marriott resort, or for a week I don't own at the home resort, do I have to pay an II exchange fee?

4. It is on Hilton Head and less than $1,000. Will I loose it to ROFR?

5. Will I have an advantage reserving a week at my home resort over other Marriott owners (at other resorts) and II exchanges?

Thanks,
Joe

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I am considering buying a Marriott TS week form an individual and I cannot find the answers to these questions.

We have stayed at the resort through II exchanges before and really like the resort. It is hard to trade into so I am considering buying a week

2. If I want to use the week at the home resort, do I go through II, Marriott, or the resort?

3. If I trade it for another Marriott resort, or for a week I don't own at the home resort, do I have to pay an II exchange fee?

5. Will I have an advantage reserving a week at my home resort over other Marriott owners (at other resorts) and II exchanges?

Thanks,
Joe
1. Marriott is good about treating resale owners the same as developer purchases (apart from enrolling in the destinations club).

2. Marriott.

3. You can reserve a week during your ownership season by calling Marriott (do it twelve months in advance for maximum options). To reserve elsewhere, or in a different season, yes, you need to use Interval. Annual fee there plus exchange fees.

4. Which resort? Which season?

5. Yes. This is huge.

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Robert,

The resort is Surfwatch, 2 bed, Oceanside, floats 5-12, 44-48, 51-52.

1. Would that be a red / platinum week? How do I find this out? It is not on the Marriott site that I can find.

2. How would I trade for another Marriott resort? Any fees to exchange?

3. Does it sound like it is to good to be true to you?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Noting recent on ROFR.Net, but looks like it would fail, but assume there are others to bid up on.

http://rofr.net

Resort Date Season Usage Type View Price Result Name
SurfWatch 4/18/2019 Platinum Annual 3BR Garden View $23,000.00 Passed Scott Hornback
SurfWatch 3/6/2019 Platinum Annual 3BR Garden View $10,000.00 Failed Judy
SurfWatch 11/16/2018 Platinum Annual 3BR Garden View $12,000.00 Passed Virginia Clifford
SurfWatch 11/9/2018 Gold Annual 3BR Garden View $6,668.00 Passed Judy
SurfWatch 10/11/2018 Gold Annual 3BR Garden View $6,668.00 Failed Judy
SurfWatch 6/28/2018 Gold Annual 2BR Garden View $1,800.00 Failed Jeff
SurfWatch 4/30/2018 Gold Annual 2BR Garden View $2,200.00 Failed geri

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Robert,

The resort is Surfwatch, 2 bed, Oceanside, floats 5-12, 44-48, 51-52.

1. Would that be a red / platinum week? How do I find this out? It is not on the Marriott site that I can find.

2. How would I trade for another Marriott resort? Any fees to exchange?

3. Does it sound like it is to good to be true to you?

Thanks,
Joe

1)Those weeks are silver season at surf watch.
It’s listed on the MVC owner site under resort calendars.

If you own silver season you can book your ownership week during that season 12 months in advance of check in by calling or going online to the MVC owner site.

2) Trading an unenrolled Marriott week to another Marriott resort requires depositing into interval. You will need an ii membership and you will need to pay an exchange fee. Marriott owners do get a preference when exchanging into another Marriott on ii.
TDI during silver tops out at 100 (midpoint for TDI) and most weeks are lower.

Hope that helps- good luck.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You are guaranteed a week in your season if you reserve promptly, but the particular week is first come first served for owners of your season.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it’s a silver season it may pass even at the lower price. Not a ton of demand for silver season weeks.

Do you really want to go to Hilton Head in Nov, Dec, or Feb every year?? It’s not that warm.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is hard to trade into so I am considering buying a week

Are you certain it is hard to trade into? During the silver season?

Since it’s a silver season it may pass even at the lower price. Not a ton of demand for silver season weeks.

I notice it's oceanside, but I think these are pretty much given away. If Marriott takes it, let me know. I know someone who would sell you an oceanfront Grand Ocean for that.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
For comparisons sake, last year Marriott listed my silver Barony for me and sold it for $5,000. I received $3,000.

Ok . I'm going to check with Marriott about the GO. He said he checked last year and Marriott didn't have any interest in listing or purchasing.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, they sold it twice. The first time the buyer backed out and Marriott and I split the $500 deposit. They listed it again and it sold almost immediately. I found the silver to be a very good trader. We kept our bronze Barony for trading and since we now live on Hilton Head, in the same Plantation as the Barony, it also gives us access on a daily basis to the resort. I work out there all the time.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the silver to be a very good trader. We kept our bronze Barony for trading and since we now live on Hilton Head, in the same Plantation as the Barony, it also gives us access on a daily basis to the resort. I work out there all the time.

This is awesome.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

Do you really want to go to Hilton Head in Nov, Dec, or Feb every year?? It’s not that warm.
December, January and February are our favorite times of the year for Hilton Head. However, it is easy and cheap for a non-owner to get into at those times so in most cases I would not recommend purchasing a silver season week.

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
December, January and February are our favorite times of the year for Hilton Head. However, it is easy and cheap for a non-owner to get into at those times so in most cases I would not recommend purchasing a silver season week.

The cost of the maintenance fee alone is reason enough not to buy that season. (The MF is the same as the summer weeks.)
As Boca Boy says, it's too easy to get in there by other means.....and frankly, for less than the maintenance fee.

But you're quite right, that season is very enjoyable----we go several times then, using alternative methods
other than our ownership weeks which we use only in the summer.

For a little over your price (been a while but I think it was between $1200-1600),
I bought a resale Marriott Platinum 2BR lock-off week elsewhere, which I planned to use for trading...
it has a similar maintenance fee as your week, but I split mine and get TWO weeks, each of which provides me great trades
to Marriott resorts in higher seasons.

So my MF ends up essentially being cut in half for the two weeks I get, and with the Interval Exchange Co "E-Plus trade",
each of those two weeks can be upgraded 3 times. That means I can, and do, turn a studio into a 2 or 3BR unit in a higher season
(50-50 Gold and Platinum seasons in my trade history), and a Master 1BR into mostly Platinum season 2-3 BRs.
The lock-off performs extremely well for me.

Last edited:

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was trying to trade into the resort for Oct 2020 and there was no availability in II. Am I trying to early?

I like to go there Oct thru Feb. Should that generally be an easy trade through II?

I was there in Jan and really liked it. I just like to walk on the beach so it does not have to be summer weather.

Thanks everyone for your help.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Multi week owners can not reserve and deposit until 13 months out while single weeks owner can not reserve and deposit until twelve months out.

With that said, you won't see October 2020 weeks until at least September of 2019, but more likely see more weeks beginning in October 2019.

This should be a pretty easy trade to obtain in the October thru February time frame..... The weeks available will always be either two or three bedrooms in size.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Joe
I don't think Surfwatch is difficult to exchange into for Silver season. You might actually have more difficulty getting the highest demand weeks of Silver as a reservation than trading to them. You should be able to rent for around the price of the fees there and have more flexibility. If you decide to buy, I wouldn't let the ROFR risk deter you, I'd suspect it'll likely pass but I wouldn't sweat it if it didn't. Personally I'd look for Ocean Vista or an OF for Grande Ocean or Barony. It won't help you exchanging but for the same dues and a minimal price difference, I know you'd be glad you did.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I don't think Surfwatch is difficult to exchange into for Silver season. You might actually have more difficulty getting the highest demand weeks of Silver as a reservation than trading to them. You should be able to rent for around the price of the fees there and have more flexibility. If you decide to buy, I wouldn't let the ROFR risk deter you, I'd suspect it'll likely pass but I wouldn't sweat it if it didn't. Personally I'd look for Ocean Vista or an OF for Grande Ocean or Barony. It won't help you exchanging but for the same dues and a minimal price difference, I know you'd be glad you did.

Absolutely correct.
Rather than buying there, however, I like getting a lock-off elsewhere for trading and using one of those,
even the studio, to get back into SurfWatch Silver season. Easily done.
That puts the MF cost at half, and it's doable using just online booking, and even upgrading to 3BR at SW with the E-Plus trades.
Then he'll have a second week (another consecutive SW week?) to acquire on a separate trade...again at half price MF.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely correct.
Rather than buying there, however, I like getting a lock-off elsewhere for trading and using one of those,
even the studio, to get back into SurfWatch Silver season. Easily done.
That puts the MF cost at half, and it's doable using just online booking, and even upgrading to 3BR at SW with the E-Plus trades.
Then he'll have a second week (another consecutive SW week?) to acquire on a separate trade...again at half price MF.
I would agree to an extent. IMO this would assume one has other exchange plans that are workable +/- already has an II account that they can add the week to for exchanges. Given the exchange fee, risk of Gardenview, other location interests and possible other fees (II if they need to join), just renting would still be better for some esp if it's not an every year visit plan. I don't know if the II exchange they had meant they have an II account they can use already or what other options they have. If exchange is the plan just exchanging in using a non Marriott is likely workable as well so no reason to buy at all. The risk of GV for Barony and SW would be an issue for me, I think this is a better plan for Grande Ocean than the other 2 comparatively speaking. Plus there are the unit upgrade fees.

And it would also depend on the other location including cost, fees and how they'd use it. Cheapest would likely be Harbour Lake and Willow Ridge. Best would depend on their other interests though a high demand, high cost, high fee option like HI likely wouldn't be a good choice for an exchange plan. Grande Vista might be the cheapest with the most options (FL Club). For sake of discussion let's add up the costs for 2 exchanges. Let's ignore the buy in and look at yearly fees. I'll assume a rental price of $2000 which is likely a bit high but for sake of discussion. So I had a lockoff and had to join II. So yearly costs for 2 exchanges for 2 weeks in a 2 BR would be something in the range of:

Yearly fees $1500
Lockoff $100
II membership $100
Upgrade fees $300 (assuming trading a studio & a 1BR).

Total fees around $2000 so roughly half the price for this example. But you lose flexibility & control including the risk of unit assignment and the possibility of a lower category like GV at SW/Barony. The OP mentioned an II exchange stay so maybe they have II already but if they do, they should be able to trade in without buying and the only fees are the ones they're already paying plus the higher exchange fee. But I do hate the situation of owning something where the risk of dues is far greater than the upfront costs like Bronze/Silver at HHI. For me personally I wouldn't buy for this choice or if I did it'd only be OF. I do like the aspect of having something that one can trade for other locations better and cheaper like Platinum at HL, GV, WR or LV or Gold/Platinum for the desert options.

JoeMO

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of follow up questions.

Is Silver season above Bronze?
Is it Silver, Bronze, Gold, Platinum?

Do I have the trading preference correct?
First priority is at resort owned in the season owned. What if a platinum wanted the same silver week as a silver owner?
Next priority is another Marriott resort trade.
Then a non Marriott II exchange.
Last is a rental.

Thanks

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No it's Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum in order of lowest to highest. Some resorts have event weeks or Platinum Plus weeks, some do not.

I think you're combining information on resort unit assignments and trading issues. Speaking of unit assignments at a resort you're pretty close. It's week owned (only us using your week), Marriott exchangers, then rentals then non Marriott exchangers. DC points reservations are treated as a Marriott exchange technically. For direct reservations you will get the unit type reserved very very rarely better for low demand times. If you have more than one unit concurrently or consecutively you'll have a priority within your category. Some resorts micromanage this issue by dividing it up more. They might give an owner who exchanges in priority above others for example or they might place DC points reservation above II exchangers (some do some don't). Most will give you the unit type of an II exchange but they do not have to.

For II exchanges the only preferences are the period they tend to hold the exchange for ONLY Marriott exchanges, usually 24 days outside the 60 day window. But the order in line is based on trade power NOT when the exchange was placed. Trade power is determined by the demand of the area, unit size and the lead time the deposit is made (usually 10 months appears to be the cutoff to get full power from what I've seen). II also uses resort quality/internal ratings as an independent factor, they don't want you trading up or down too much though I don't know how the charge for unit size upgrades might have changed how they do this.

Does that help?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of follow up questions.

Is Silver season above Bronze?
Is it Silver, Bronze, Gold, Platinum?

Do I have the trading preference correct?
First priority is at resort owned in the season owned. What if a platinum wanted the same silver week as a silver owner?
Next priority is another Marriott resort trade.
Then a non Marriott II exchange.
Last is a rental.

Thanks

Dean answered your questions well.
But I just want to add that bottom line, the only way to directly book your unenrolled week through Marriott is in your owned season at your owned resort (Except Florida club).
So if you own silver at surf watch you can only book your week silver at surf watch.
Everything else is a trade through interval.

And if you don’t want to stay at your home resort in your home season it really doesn’t matter what you buy.
Find the highest trading power unit with the lowest maintenance fees at the best sale price you can get. Consider a lock off that you can split and trade for 2 units on ii.

Last edited: